SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Revival Idolatry

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: gnostics, whoever they are

Quote:
I dont consider blasphemey to be a joke.

I wasn't joking.

Websters Dictionary defines gnostic as this:
Quote:
gnostic Of, relating to, or possessing intellectual or spiritual knowledge.

Ok, Whats wrong with this definition?

Further, of all the sites that have gone to, most all of them have this to say:

"What is Gnosticism? This question has no easy answer, and scholars have debated over it for years."

Now if anyone has the answer, than it would be wise to contact a scholar and let them know of your findings.

Now scholars have come to some degree of interpreting what a gnostic is and these are thier findings:

creation and cosmology, use of myth, ethics, salvation, eschatology. Most importantly, though, is the key religious experience.

Hmmm, I wonder if those who speak in tongues are gnostics?, Does anyone believe in the speaking of an unknown tongue, or has that gone the way of the Dodo?

Interesting subject I might add.

2006/3/16 20:27
jimp

Re:

hi, it is repulsive to me to read much more of this thread.bro. ravenhill did not have nail prints in his hands but he did have Jesus in his heart and a great love for the brethren. he started out in england as a revival tent preacher and was very flambouyant and successful. he moved with God and obeyed Him at great cost.he was invited to switzerland as billy grahams guest but preached in my home instead and God rewarded him. i was with him when a man offered him 2 million dollars in guarantee to move; his answer was can you guarantee the annointing also.he wanted to warn the world of the lion that lurks outside your door so that you would no be harmed.who are you pharisees who have not even been where God has moved mightely criticizing such a loving man who wouldn't criticize you. you argue over trifles that don't add up to nothing. Jesus said "i have not come to condemn the world but through me the world might be saved" that is the heart of Jesus. read john 14 through 18 and read it 3 more times and then post your drivel.jimp

2006/3/16 21:53Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

sis Roadsign

Quote:
I wonder if many of the prophetic writigs of the OT are really talking about the final ingathering - just before the end. And is that the ultimate and most glorious revival - yet to come?

i'm sure some of them do speak to the coming ingathering in addition to the ingathering of those days. i've not done an extensive study to prove that though. i do feel convinced however that the coming revival will be the most glorious as it will be the final one, the gathering of Christ's bride as it were.

Quote:
I was once at a conference where a revival pastor said, "God has not led me to pray for revival for these meetings because he is not planning on doing that." Well, whatever you may think of that, I think that there is some comfort there. Just maybe a lot of prayer is fruitless and needlessly drains people because it is not God's timing, and the prayer wasn't prompted by God's Spirit. Remember Christ is our intercessor, and we unite with him in HIS burden. Could there be some truth in my thoughts here?

in reading let us pray by watchman nee the Lord has shown me that the way we should pray is according to what He requires, praying His will be done so sis diane you're on the money. a lot of prayer, is not really prayer but really us going before God with our own ideas and asking Him to check here and sign there and send us on our way. The Lord wants us to be involved with what He's doing and that requires a seeking of and praying for His will to be done.

2006/3/16 22:35Profile
roadsign

Re: Pray in the Spirit

Quote:
a lot of prayer, is not really prayer but really us going before God with our own ideas and asking Him to check here and sign there and send us on our way. The Lord wants us to be involved with what He's doing and that requires a seeking of and praying for His will to be done.

Thanks, Ironman,
Even though I know this, there are times when it is good to be affirmed by a brother. I believe that the devil is constantly trying to erode our freedom in Christ, and pull us down into a tailspin of condemnation.

I remember reading everything I could on prayer, and, I admit, it was awesome. But at one point I came to the reality that the books were not God's formula. They were the expressions of man's prayer journey with God. So naturally, they had their limitations.

I cannot feel guilty because I don't pray more for revival. The world does not hinge on me but on God.

And God is most capable of laying burdens on me, as he often does and has. But I must remain equally yoked with him, or I will end up carrying the burden alone. It's too much.
Diane

2006/3/16 22:48Profile
saltlicker20

Grand Saline, TX

Re:

Loveslave,

Please do not go on with this Jesus and you possibly being Gnostic. It truly is Blasphemy.

The Gnostic teachings tore down the Gospel of Christ that the apostles were teaching. They caused confusion amongst the new-born Christians: definitely a tool of Satan. Several of the epistles in our Bible are considered to be written to counter the false teachings of Gnosticism.

Some background on Gnosticism is this:

*A "know it all" religion
*The leader taught that salvation only comes through a special or secret knowledge of God
*The physical body is evil and does not matter
*The either lived in extreme self denial or extreme self indulgence

(The Bible Dictionary - Dockery, Godwin, Godwin - 2000)

Please reconsider your remarks about Jesus being a Gnostic. It truly is Blasphemy - which I know that you did unintentionally.

Also loveslave, please think heavily about not being as sarcastic. I understand that it is simply part of your personality (believe me, no one is more sarcastic that myself), but it may be best left out in a discussion of conflicting beliefs.

Hope this has helped you out some.

Love ya,

DO
I Pet 4:2

2006/3/17 0:55Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Re: Revival Idolatry

{Quote} Saltlicker, the original post

Has anyone else come to a point in their relationship with God where they find themselves praying more for the movement of God than for the intimacy of God?
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

I’m not sure how long it was after being born again that I started praying for revival, but I know it wasn’t long. I remember that soon after conversion I remember praying for different people, sometimes my enemies, then praying for people in general like those in my home town or the nation I am from. The places I worked were often targeted also. Quite a few of the people that I prayed for years ago have come to the Lord.

After a few years, because of being offended, I left the fellowship that I was in and started a gradual decline in prayer. After a time, I didn’t pray near as much and eventually did not witness to people. Up to this time I witnessed a lot. I would say now that I became backslidden, however, I did not go into the previous sins that the Lord had delivered me from. My prayer life was almost totally gone and I didn’t read the bible very much.

After about 14 years of wondering around in this state of decline, the Lord brought a bunch of changes into my life. He brought me to a place that I wanted to be around Christians again. Since I was a truck driver at the time, soon I was seeking fellowship at truck stop chapels. One particular chapel had prayer and services everyday and is near to where I lived at the time, so I went there often. Once I was in fellowship again, my prayer life and bible reading started back up right away.

What I have noticed is that when I was in a state of decline, I did not pray for revival at all. When my prayer life became intimate with God is when I started to pray for others and for revival again. I’ve noticed that when I have a closeness with the Lord, I pray for revival. Through these times, I have wept often for people that I haven’t seen for years, people from the town I grew up in, people I work with, and often my own country or other countries that I hear something about. Jesus wept over Jerusalem and that is what it reminds me of when I weep for others. I pray for revival in these peoples lives.

I do not always pray with weeping or even pray for revival every time I pray but it seems that when I am in this brokenness and weeping for others is when my prayers get answered.

I have had a hope of seeing the lost come to the Lord and to see this sin polluted land that I live in bring honor to the Lord ever since I've experienced the presence of the Lord. Things really look bad right now. How many of us on this forum have a faith like Joshua and Caleb and can say the Lord will surely give us this land? Can we believe God for this?

2006/3/17 1:02Profile

Re:

Quote:
The WOF uses the King James Bible

Hardly... I was WOF before I grew up in the Lord, and I ran in those crowds big time, and the KJV was [b]NEVER[/b] used. Granted, Benny Hinn does use it a little... but I suspect the reason for it is to appear like he is legitimate, which he is not.

As far Gnostics, they did not believe that Jesus was a flesh and blood man. They believed He was spirit only... like a ghost. Since they believed anything of the flesh or material was evil, then in their supposed intellectual reasoning, Jesus could not have been flesh. Well, that contradicts this verse:

[b]Rom 5:15[/b] But not as the offense, so also is the free gift. For if through the offense of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by [b][u]one man[/u][/b], Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Jesus was both God and man. God manifested in the flesh. If He wasnt, then our salvation means nothing and we might as well party now cuz we're surely lost anyway.

You consider yourself an intellectual, Loveslave, but that seems a bit prideful. Not saying we all dont get full of ourselves at times (I know I do...), but I would not rely so much on human reasoning.

[b]1Co 1:27-29[/b] But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: [b]That no flesh should glory in his presence.[/b]

Krispy

2006/3/17 7:24
h2oboy

Georgia, USA

Re:

Brother Gary I appreciate your heart.

Isn't the issue here regarding idolatry, what is the focal point or what do we value most? When our heart is set and focused on worship, love, adoration of the Father and the Son then the Father and the Son "make there abode with us." When we become one with the Father (His doing not ours) His values, goals, agendas, and passions are written into our hearts. Since His passion is reconciliation of those He created but are alienated from Him, then we will be moved by that passion to pray for their souls. We seek His face and through us He seeks more sons and daughters.

Compasssion for the lost is the fruit that is produced by the Spirit of God as we surrender to His control and renovation. He becomes our focal point in worship and we become the instruments of His passion.

Keep letting His passion for the lost fill you. Love you brother.
Jeff

2006/3/17 9:26Profile
roadsign

Re: prayer in the flesh or the spirit

Quote:
When we become one with the Father (His doing not ours) His values, goals, agendas, and passions are written into our hearts. Since His passion is reconciliation of those He created but are alienated from Him, then we will be moved by that passion to pray for their souls. We seek His face and through us He seeks more sons and daughters

Gary and Jeff, Your words really spoke to my spirit. They help me differenciate between praying in the spirit and praying in the flesh.

Perhaps "self" can be an idol too - when we are still abiding by the Old Covenant Law, and living by "shoulds" and "aught-tos".

There is a huge difference between praying because we are supposed to, and prayer that flows directly from the heart of God through us.

I have experienced both, and can tell the difference.
Diane

2006/3/17 16:45Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

sis diane you wrote

Quote:

roadsign wrote:
Quote:
a lot of prayer, is not really prayer but really us going before God with our own ideas and asking Him to check here and sign there and send us on our way. The Lord wants us to be involved with what He's doing and that requires a seeking of and praying for His will to be done.

Thanks, Ironman,
Even though I know this, there are times when it is good to be affirmed by a brother. I believe that the devil is constantly trying to erode our freedom in Christ, and pull us down into a tailspin of condemnation.

I remember reading everything I could on prayer, and, I admit, it was awesome. But at one point I came to the reality that the books were not God's formula. They were the expressions of man's prayer journey with God. So naturally, they had their limitations.

I cannot feel guilty because I don't pray more for revival. The world does not hinge on me but on God.

And God is most capable of laying burdens on me, as he often does and has. But I must remain equally yoked with him, or I will end up carrying the burden alone. It's too much.
Diane

amen, this is the beauty of fellowship. The Lord bounces things back and forth among us to remind us of His love and bring to remembrance what is forgotten when it is needed. i agree with you in that you need not feel guilty for not praying for revival. The Lord doesn't need a a bunch of us to get together and pray for one thing (as if it will cause Him to somehow change what He has decided to do) but needs a few willing people, yielded to Him.

we should all ptay as the Lord leads, if one doesn't have a burden to pray for revival then one shouldn't and move on to what God has for him of her.

2006/3/17 18:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy