SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Revival Idolatry

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
Compton

Re: Revival Idolatry

Quote:
I read a little Oswald Chambers this morning over Surrender...and I truly think that I have sought Revival and Ministry more than the face of God these past few months.

One of Owswald Chambers writing gifts is his ability to identify the fat in our faith. When reading him he always seems to have my number if I am seeking mountain top experiences, or living off my own enthusiasm rather then depending soley on Christ...even during the dull times.

In fact many of us Christians don't even feel permission to go through mundane or dull times. We've been sold some CCM hype that God needs to always be doing a "New Thang" and if our lives aren't poppin' like microwave popcorn then we are not experiencing the fullness of Christ.
Quote:
...instead of focusing simply on "revival" we simply need to focus on Christian living, and all aspects of that living.

I like this common sense statement! In following a physical workout routine I sometimes feel uninspired or unmotivated by lack of progress to reach my goals. I have to remind myself, "I'm not building a body...I'm building a way of life and the body will follow."

I think Romans 12 describes the "way of life" for the Christian. It says nothing about revival per se...in fact much of it sounds downright unexciting. Yet if this is how we live our lives before the Lord, the Body will become manifestly "revived".

Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;

Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;

Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.

Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.

Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

2006/3/13 19:08Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Good point.

Would you know revival is often precipitated by a crises in an individuals life? (I am talking about personal revival..it has to begin there before it can go any further). This can be a severe one...are you ready for that?

So the simple answer to revival is for one to get close to God and be willing to be obedient to whatever he calls you to, whether you like it or not. I have the feeling Abraham was not jumping up and down and shouting "Praise the LORD!" when God asked him to go sacrifice his son Isaac...and as a result he is held up as an example of a man of faith.

ginnyrose

2006/3/14 1:56Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Well put, Roadsign!

Murray

2006/3/14 9:59Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

interesting brethren
it seems to me Ravenhill was given a burden for revival more than most of us and while he didn't live to see it it seems he remained obedient to that to the end. but somehow i think that the day to day living of the Christian life is a revival, a return to what and where we should be, like bro kingjimmy said, it's victorious Christian living. that's what revival is, a return to what God has called us to be and we are on the verge of the final one.

in as much as Ravenhill may appeared (or was indeed) led astray toward the end of his life by false prophets, someone said that all things work together for the good...that's the bottom line.

we all have different burdens that the Lord gives us and we should be obedient to the carrying of those and also living as we should.

2006/3/14 10:31Profile
rookie

Re:

Sister Diane wrote:

Quote:
Our "burden" for revival can cause us to miss the obvious - what God is doing under our noses, though in very quiet, unimpressive ways. Idolatrous yearning for revival will side track us an cause us to neglect our present responsibilites.

Matt. 20:1 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. 2 Now when he had agreed with the laborers for a denarius a day, he sent them into his vineyard. 3 And he went out about the third hour and saw others standing idle in the marketplace, 4 and said to them, “You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right I will give you.’ So they went. 5 Again he went out about the sixth and the ninth hour, and did likewise. 6 And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing idle, and said to them, “Why have you been standing here idle all day?’ 7 They said to him, “Because no one hired us.’ He said to them, ‘You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right you will receive.’

Matt. 20:8 “So when evening had come, the owner of the vineyard said to his steward, ‘Call the laborers and give them their wages, beginning with the last to the first.’ 9 And when those came who were hired about the eleventh hour, they each received a denarius. 10 But when the first came, they supposed that they would receive more; and they likewise received each a denarius. 11 And when they had received it, they complained against the landowner, 12 saying, “These last men have worked only one hour, and you made them equal to us who have borne the burden and the heat of the day.’ 13 But he answered one of them and said, “Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius? 14 Take what is yours and go your way. I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. 15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with my own things? Or is your eye evil because I am good?’ 16 So the last will be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few chosen.”

I get the sense that we often want to be those that are spoken of in the parable above:

6 And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing idle, and said to them, “Why have you been standing here idle all day?’

We have no desire to be those that were first hired. I know of a church where the pastor continues to hope for the works of the Spirit and sets up meetings, to enable God, to work in those meetings. Yet this same pastor preaches nothing of what it means to walk with Jesus. Only Jesus loves you so, so, so, much. Come and enter into the promise of heaven.

The sheep continue in their old ways and have not learned of the ways that God loves. The substance of what they hope for is found in the things that they can see. They learn nothing of seperation from this world.

So in a way, revival becomes another crutch to those who are in bondage to sin.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/14 10:48Profile
saltlicker20

Grand Saline, TX

Re:

Quote:
So in a way, revival becomes another crutch to those who are in bondage to sin.

Well phrased Brother Jeff....never thought of it quite like that.

On another note...can someone please explain to me the deal with Ravenhill being led astray by false prophets toward the end of his life? I have never heard this and would like to know what happened.

In His,

DO
I Pet 4:2

2006/3/14 12:27Profile
g3jedi

Revival is not something God holds back waiting for special times and circumstances. In fact it is not abnormal at all. At least from God's point of view it's not. We think what happens when we experience revival is abnormal and that is a sad indicator of our knowledge of Him, or rather our lack of knowledge of Him. According to 2 Chronicles 7 it is a return to normal. Not normal from our point of view, but from God's. There is much talk about revival but little evidence of it and that means we still refuse to see things from His point of view.

A large part of the problem is that people have different things in mind when they talk about revival. Most people think of miracles and large numbers of people coming to Christ as revival. These things are not revival. They happen as results of revival. People begin to pray for these things thinking that they are revival and miss the point.

What is revival? Revival is when God's people, who are called by His name, humble themselves, pray, seek His face, and turn from their sin. In other words, confession and repentence. God told Solomon that when He shut up the heavens and there was no rain, when the locusts devoured the land, and there was pestilence among His people, it was because of sin.

There is idolotry, but not revival idolotry. There is a desire to see the inspiring things (like miracles) without paying the price of repentence. All we really want is the warm fuzzies. A desire for true revival is one that yearns for God to reveal all sin so that it can be confessed and turned from. It is a desire to live a holy life, a desire for Jesus to live His life in us.

2006/3/14 16:41Profile
brentw

Ohio

I have studied revivals from first century onward, and you always trace it back to an individual praying or a group of people praying FOR IT!! "ASK and you shall recieve"
I dont mind using the word revival because it gives a sense of what direction we need...I dont want to give a 1 page essay to describe revival...we just say revival, or new test. christianity. When I was licensed years ago to be a pastor I had to sit down with a board of ministers from the state....they asked me what is your goal in the next 10 years or so...at 24 years old I said without thinking 'I want to get back to the new test. church'.....I still years later...this is still my longing...revival!
When we pull out the old books like: Bounds, Finney, Moody, Tozer, Roberts, Smith, Hyde, ECT... They all longed for revival!! I long to see a church walk in the power of the Spirit and "CONTINUE" as the disciples did...revival. I long to see the glory of God in church not just one or 2 weeks but continually. I dont care if they believe in speaking in tounges, or if they believed once saved always saved ect...
Richard Owen Roberts said: "Revival is when heaven is nearest" Like he said also 'what christian wouldnt long for that!!'
YES,YES what christian wouldnt long for that!!!

2006/3/14 17:17Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

I can understand the tendency to look for "revival" but I see revival as I consciously and intentionally surrendering every area of my life to Jesus. It's not a finished deal yet in my heart but that's what I'm seeing happening and it's been a lengthy letting go process. I pray your heart hasn't been as hard as mine because it repeatedly has to be broken...

I've read about revival and it seems as though the same thing happens in revival, although the time to give everything over to Jesus is greatly shortened.

It's not an emotional experience but a conscious letting go of all sin, much of it which goes back to childhood. The revival is simply the fruit as there's nothing between the heart of Jesus and my heart because everything has been given over to Him.

It's not my money, my time, etc. it all belongs to Jesus. I would think that a revival without Jesus wouldn't really be a revival would it? Perhaps I'm missing something.

2006/3/14 17:47Profile
roadsign

Re: God's revival

Quote:
I have studied revivals from first century onward, and you always trace it back to an individual praying or a group of people praying FOR IT!! "ASK and you shall recieve"

And yet, I have to say that in the past 10 years there has been a lot of praying for revival - many more than just one person. Now are we all defective in our prayers, or is God indeed doing the work of revival in his way and time. Well, to me it is just the opposite. I'm seeing all kinds of people fall away, stray, I see the church moving further away from God.

I think part of the revial process is the preparation for it - and God only knows how long that is to be.

And even then, I believe that God can overrule man's resistance in a flash. Look at the amazing testimonies during revivals - the amazing sweep of God's hand. I have come to believe that without this happening again, we will not be able to sustain the Christian faith - as it is meant to be, for long. We need divine intervention.

Even though we may define revival as a simple condition of personal obedience, I believe there is also a time when God supernaturlly "rends the heavens" and comes down in holy fire. Certainly history has proven that - and that is what we long for.

The only problem is, we start expecting revival to look certain ways that they are not. And people capitolize on our yearning for revival and sell revival caps, t-shirts, and CD's.

Wouldn't you want to be identified as a yearner of revival - and wear a cap so that everybody can know..... Oh.... maybe you'd rather wear a cap that says "God-chasers".

In all seriousness, to me this writer, Becky McLendon has a good understanding of Revival: It's messy
[url=http://www.thewayback.net/articles/welcometorevival.htm]Welcome to Revival[/url]
Diane

2006/3/14 18:26Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy