SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A PRIVATE PRAYER LANGUAGE?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

ANewInHim, Thank you for "The Source of Abundant Joy".

Much appreciated and much comfort.

Lord Bless.

2006/3/8 1:44

Re: Private Prayer Language.

First, brentw, thank you for your gracious reply. I felt I said too much in that post, although I did so because I spent 20 years seeking answers through 'responding to God' in ordinary Sunday opportunities and conferences. I'm sure He was doing what He could with me, but, it was not until I realised the small place healing had been given in the preaching, and how basically we were always being told that if we had a problem, it was our responsibility and it was sin, that I came to feel so hopeless about any more repentance. As far as I was concerned, God had had ample opportunity to bless me because I'd repented honestly, and I felt He had done all He could... therefore, the answer had to lie somewhere else...... not in my continuing repentance.

But, there WAS a need for more repentance. However, it was always [i]very[/i] specific and entirely connected to my reactions to the effects of abuse, or, to my attempts to find an answer to the [u]continual malaise[/u] I was experiencing. Only God could do the necessary healing.... which opened up the clarity between 'who' had committed 'which' sin.... that enabled repentance to become meaningful and productive. This process went on for years.... (just in case anyone is thinking it should have been over in a few weeks).

2006/3/8 6:49

Re: Private Prayer Language

Hi Krispy,

Quote:
I think he was saying a believer builds himself up as in builds himself up in his own eyes, and in the eyes of those around him.

This is not what the word 'edifies' means. There is absolutely nothing selfish about edification. That's why it's an excellent word for Paul to have chosen. It is about someone else doing the work which makes the building grow. The building itself does nothing. The building itself has no say in how it is constructed, and it only 'works' as a building, if it is [i][b]sound[/b][/i] - otherwise, you would say it was not an 'edifice' but a wreck or a ruin or a danger.

Healingwaters said
Quote:
However, the usage is just that it's private between you and God.

Exactly.

Krispy,

This is a serious question to you....

Did you make [i]any sense at all[/i] of my testimony about the way tongues 'edifies' the person using them, even without interpretation, or was that a completely incomprehensible post (to you)?

2006/3/8 6:58

Re:

Quote:
I was at an old fashioned campmeeting few years back and one of the brothers tried to greet me with a 'holy kiss'...well, I tried to avoid it by turning my head but it didnt work and his lips hit mine
I was shocked because know one ever even tried that before with me nor have I seen it happen... BUT I was very thankful because this denomination didnt believe in the doctine of 'tounges'.

Brent... I got a good laugh out of that. Are you sure it wasnt one of those "Metropolitan" churches??

Krispy

2006/3/8 7:57
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Krispy,

Do you believe that every child of God can lay hands on the sick and them recover? If you do does that contridict

1Cr 12:30 [u]Have all the gifts of healing?[/u] do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Could it be possible that every believer can lay hands on the sick and have faith that they can be healed, but one certain ones have a special 'gifts of healing.' Or do you believe that the only 'elders' have that 'gift?'

Jam 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

2006/3/8 13:54Profile

Re:

Preach... I believe God can use any believer He wishes to lay hands on the sick and heal them. But does He always heal that way? No. I've laid hands on people and they died from their illness. I've laid hands on people and they seemed to recover (nothing miraculous, but they did recover).

The obvious answer Paul was looking for to the questions he asked in 1 Cor 12:30 was [b]no[/b]. Not all have the gift of hearling, not all have tongues.

But when one says "praying in tongues strengthens me", then why are the majority of believers without this? Only certain believers are allowed access to this?

And these are honest questions. For once I'm not trying to build a case for or against. These are real questions I have... and opinions on either side have not satisfied my curiosity.

Krispy

2006/3/8 14:45
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I guess the reason I believe there is a prayer language is from experience. Now I know as soon as I say that many will probably jump and say that I am conforming the word to my experience, but actually I believed it before I experienced it.

It seems to me that every time in scripture that someone received the baptism of the Holy Ghost there was a manifestation. I personally think it’s a hard case using scripture alone to say that that manifestation was not tongues, but I'm not dogmatic about this although I am somewhat dogmatic in saying the baptism of the Holy Ghost is an experience.

I may be reading into what happened at Corinth but...

It seems to me that the problem (one of them!)was that so many were speaking in tongues. How could this be? Could a person speak in tongues without the Holy Ghost coming upon them for the gift? I personally (maybe it’s just my experience) don't know anyone with the gift of miracles that can just do miracles when ever they feel. But tongues seems to be different, doesn't it? If it is true that when one receives the baptism of the Holy Ghost they speak in tongues and "receive a prayer language" it seems that that could be misused. If there is a difference between the "Gift of tongues" and "a prayer language"(assuming there is such) then could have that been the very problem? Were they were praying in the Spirit aloud and thinking it was the Gift of tongues? And that’s why Paul told them to “let him speak to himself, and to God”? You can pray silently only to yourself and God, right?

Maybe I'm just rambling, or maybe I am reading too much into my experience (but them again I believed this before I experienced any thing with tongues), but I'm just throwing some thoughts out there.

2006/3/8 15:40Profile

Re:

I believe in two tongues ... as in the manifestation of Spirit Baptism and the other "the gift of tongues" because the Greek bears it out and also from personal experience.

Once upon a time, about 30 years ago, the AoG was very acedemic and of course we all know, they are Full Gospel. And that is fortunately when I got saved ... back before the general fall of them.

There are still some AoG Pastors out there from the old school, but as a Denomination ... well, I guess that's what finally disuaded me 'from' Denominations.

Sort of a sad parting there ... many extremely good memories of days gone by. But, all things DO work for good and I'm glad to be out of Denominational strong holds and venture to the Churches/Fellowships of all my other brothers and sisters in Christ.

2006/3/8 20:07
freedbyjc

Jacksonville. Florida

Re: A PRIVATE PRAYER LANGUAGE?

It comes up time and time again... those who are posting that they believe in Speaking in Tongues, whether glossilia [sp] or a prayer language have had the EXPERIENCE and now believe. Hmmm ... Sounds very different from the people whom Christ healed because they believed in Him first ...

Personally, having been in the presence of those who spoke in tongues at Joyce Meyer conferences and knowing those who have prayer languages but not having the 'experience flow' from me [as it has been described several times...here in this post and from friends] it sounded to my ears more like demons were being cast out than an offering to God. Joyce even make the statement during the prayer times at the conferences I have attended that [to those of us who were not in the know as to what was happening] 'Relax, dear ones, you are to 'be assured' that all is well and safe. What you hear will not harm you'... A very "interesting comment" I thought the first time and the second time, although I was ready for the din and noise, I had to pray myself calm during the entirity of tumult and left feeling more drained than encouraged.

Is there anyone to who the 'gift' came without their knowledge? As in speaking in an unlearned but a known native language to those who they were ministering to? I have heard stories of it but nothing readily accountable...sort of like those pentacostals documented above who went to foreign lands to preach in tongues and yet were disappointd to discover that they did not have the 'gift.'

Is it like having hands laid on you and curing you from not being able to speak in tongues or not possessing a 'special prayer language' so He will now understand you?

How does a special prayer language work? Are you not just relying on the Holy Spirit to translate 'your personal groanings' for God to understand?

Seriously, I am not ridiculing anyone, I need to know more...I went to a class in one of our elder's home where the instructor to teach me how to get basptised in the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues and all I got was an exciting study but no new gifts. I have read and read on this subject until I could argue both sides expansively and the only discernment I have is "if you've got it, flaunt it."

2006/3/10 9:19Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Obviuously you didn't even take the time to read 2 posts down.

You said:

Quote:
It comes up time and time again... those who are posting that they believe in Speaking in Tongues, whether glossilia [sp] or a prayer language have had the EXPERIENCE and now believe. Hmmm ... Sounds very different from the people whom Christ healed because they believed in Him first ...

If you would have taken the concideration to read, I said:

Quote:
I guess the reason I believe there is a prayer language is from experience. Now I know as soon as I say that many will probably jump and say that I am conforming the word to my experience, [u]but actually I believed it before I experienced it. [/u]

Quote:

Maybe I'm just rambling, or maybe I am reading too much into my experience ([u]but them again I believed this before I experienced any thing with tongues[/u]), but I'm just throwing some thoughts out there.

2006/3/10 10:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy