SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Implications of dispensationalism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

[quoteI'm sorry if I offended you. Maybe I wasn't clear as to what you were saying in this sentence.

You didn't offend me. I just know that you and I see things so differently that our conversations here always seem to get tied up in knots.

Quote:
Are you saying that faith is not a result of what God has done in your life?

No. I am saying that the kind of 'faith' that is the result of my past experiences of sitting on chairs and the probability that this chair will also support me is not what the Bible means by faith. Faith like so many scriptural virtues is both a crises and a disposition. But my present faith in God must be the consequence of God's current revelation to my heart, otherwise is is yesterday's faith and has no virtue.

When I refer to 'faith' being dependent upon revelation I am distinguishing between revelation and information. Information produces the kind of confidence that makes me risk sitting upon a chair, and is no virtue. Revelation demands obedience/faith and consequently is a virtue.

2006/3/2 15:25Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
That 'circumstances' could get 'that' bad and I know it's true ... that all one can do is call upon His Name because that is all [u]that's left of one's mind.[/u]

I had read Richard Wurmbrand's work and saw the video- but never comprehended this point until I encountered such a severe bout with pain a few months ago. I was in an severe agony near day and night for a week. At the end of that week my mind was 'cleansed' of all thoughts good and evil. All I could do in the midst of it is call on God. Nothing 'fancy' or eloquent, just simple words and very short sentences. I cannot imagine years and years of vthis torture- but now I understand how what Richard says can truly be a reality.

2006/3/2 15:41Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Br Ron wrote:

Quote:
You didn't offend me. I just know that you and I see things so differently that our conversations here always seem to get tied up in knots.

Heb. 10:24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works,

Quote:
When I refer to 'faith' being dependent upon revelation I am distinguishing between revelation and information. Information produces the kind of confidence that makes me risk sitting upon a chair, and is no virtue. Revelation demands obedience/faith and consequently is a virtue.

I agree with this with my whole heart. Many believe that because they can quote a Scripture, that they have the promise. Yet, as All Scripture teaches,

Quote:
Revelation demands obedience/faith and consequently is a virtue.

Faith finds is source in the fountain that flows from God.

What then is trust? Is it different from faith? How does trust seep into the soul of one who was once lost?

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/2 16:12Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

The Difference Is In The Dispensations

How to make sense of the differences in the Bible

Chapter II

Salvation In The Old Testament
From our brief overview of the major divisions of the Bible, it should be clear to the reader that God does not always work exactly the same way in every dispensation. What God required of Adam (don't eat of the tree), He did not require of Moses; what He required of Noah (ark), He did not require of David. Likewise what He required of Moses and David (keep the Law), He does not require of us today. God is the same God, but He simply does not work with man the same way in every dispensation. Therefore, every Christian MUST know where the divisions between the dispensations are and what God requires of man in each of them to make reasonable sense of the Bible. Again, this is imperative to see God's overall program for man as He has revealed it.

In this chapter and the following, we are going to look at the covenants and dispensations from the standpoint of personal, individual salvation. This is a touchy topic, but our only concern is what the Bible says about the matter. Now, we realize every Bible preacher, teacher, minister, "scholar," etc. who attempts to teach something from the Bible says he is only interested in what the Bible says; therefore, the reader must determine the truth himself through prayer and study. Don't blindly follow the opinions of men no matter how "godly," "devoted," and "fundamental" they may appear; follow only the BOOK (AV 1611). When anyone (including your author) does not strictly go by the Bible, abandon him, at least in the area of error. The Bible is the Christian's absolute, final authority for ALL matters and is subject to no individual, group, church, or school.

Before we go any farther, let us clear the air and list three "historic, fundamental positions" we take issue with concerning salvation:

1. That the means of receiving salvation is exactly the same in every dispensation.
2. That every person ever saved was "born again" and a "son of God."
3. That no saved person in any age can in any way lose his salvation.

These three positions are considered "undeniable" among many today, but again, "what saith the Scriptures"?

First of all, before you jump to conclusions, let us state as clearly as we can that we fully believe every person saved in this present Church Age is saved by grace through faith apart from any works. We insist he is born again, a son of God, and has eternal, everlasting life abiding in him which he cannot lose. We further believe in all the baptistic "fundamentals of the faith," and more than that we believe the book these fundamentals were extracted from—the Authorized King James Version of 1611. Our only real difference with some of the brethren is we don't believe all these Baptist fundamentals apply to everyone in every dispensation. We contend the new birth, eternal security, the Body of Christ, permanently indwelling Holy Spirit, and all other doctrines unique to the Church Age were not available until after the crucifixion, were not revealed until the New Testament was well under way, and were not clearly defined until the epistles of Paul. We further contend these Church Age doctrines have no application to any Old Testament saint, no matter how notable (Abraham, Moses, David, etc..), or to someone in the Tribulation.

Nowhere in the Old Testament can one find the Holy Spirit regenerating anyone, sealing anyone unto the "day of redemption," placing someone "in Christ," or applying a half dozen other New Testament doctrines, but that doesn't stop people from teaching these doctrines are there. They do it by taking present Baptist (or any other) Church Age doctrines and forcing them to apply to all ages. This is nearly as bad as those who try to force doctrines unique to the Law (the Sabbath, abstaining from certain meats, etc.) on believers today. The only difference is the different Church doctrines cannot be practiced in the past because they were unknown then, but past doctrines can be practiced now. In future dispensations, though, those who try to force presently sound Baptist doctrine to apply there will be heretics just like the Sabbath-keepers and pork-abstainers are today. As someone has said, "Nearly every bad thing is a good thing twisted," thus even the precious new birth can be detrimental if it is taught as doctrine in the wrong age.

When one reads modern, "fundamental" literature he needs to be careful. Much of what he reads will likely be sound doctrine, but some may also be based solely on assumption, emotion, opinion, or ignorance. For example, the author has read and heard several respected ministers make statements like: "People in the Old Testament were saved by looking forward to the cross while people in the New Testament are saved by looking back to the cross...," "All Old Testament saints were saved just like we are today...," "All believers from every age are born again, possessors of eternal life, and part of the Body of Christ...," etc., and make no effort to PROVE these statements from the Bible. They make them in such a matter of fact manner that the hearer usually does not even question them. He accepts them as "universal truths" from the lips of a great "scholar" or preacher. Though these remarks may sound biblical to modern ears, that does not MAKE them biblical.

For instance, concerning Old Testament saints "looking forward to the cross," what cross? A "cross" is not mentioned in any context in the Bible until Matthew 10:38, and a cross is not directly connected with Jesus Christ's death until Matthew 20:19! Where does that leave Joseph, Aaron, Gideon and the rest of the Old Testament saints? How could they look forward to something that did not exist and God had not yet revealed? Christ's own disciples who followed him for months didn't even understand why Christ had to die, let alone "look ahead to a cross" (Matt. 16:22). You say, "Well, they were looking forward to redemption, then, if not a cross." Maybe so, but what did they know about redemption (Heb. 9:12)? Did they know as much about it as Paul in Romans, John in 1 John, or even YOU today? Did they know anything about someone dying on a cross for the sins of the world to purchase and provide an eternal redemption from sin? When Christ told Peter about His coming crucifixion it was such a shock to Peter that he rebuked Him! Peter didn't want to even consider his master dying on a cross, so to say he was looking forward to it absurd. We admit it is easy to apply our rich salvation doctrines and advanced revelations to those of other dispensations, so we must be extra careful when dividing the Scriptures to only apply to a dispensation the doctrines valid at that time.

One of the strongest indications that salvation is not the same in every age is that Old Testament saints did not go at death to the same place New Testament saints go to when they die. Old Testament saints went to Abraham's Bosom or "paradise" while New Testament saints go directly into the presence of God in Heaven (2 Cor. 5:8). This alone proves there is a difference. Christ cleared up the matter in Luke 16 concerning where dead believers at that time went with the account of the "Rich man and Lazarus." Before Christ, the Bible was not clear where believers went at death. That there was a hell for the wicked was
clear, but specific details concerning where believers went were not revealed. All that is said of Abraham, for instance, is that he was "gathered unto his people." In Luke 16 the Lord gives advanced revelation and says Abraham was actually in a desirable and comfortable place (called "paradise" in Luke 23:43) across a great gulf from Hell. Abraham and the other saints did not go into Heaven until they went up with the Lord at His ascension (Eph. 4:8), but saints who die in the Lord today go immediately into Heaven (2 Cor. 5:8). Obviously, our salvation is in significant ways different than Abraham's. In light of their many similarities, the two salvations are quite different.

In the following we are going to look at salvation in the different dispensations and examine the similarities and differences between them. We will be very careful and try not to make the mistakes of many today who read doctrines from one period into another, forcing the Bible line up with their "private interpretation." Remember, the Bible is not a Baptist, Methodist, or Catholic book written only for different Churches (or others) in this present age, it is a Jewish book written to people of all ages declaring different manners and doctrines for each period.

Posted by permission of Timothy S. Morton

I think this is a very important work by Tim Morton and I could not get the internet address to post.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/3/2 17:06Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:
From our brief overview of the major divisions of the Bible, it should be clear to the reader that God does not always work exactly the same way in every dispensation. What God required of Adam (don't eat of the tree), He did not require of Moses; what He required of Noah (ark), He did not require of David. Likewise what He required of Moses and David (keep the Law), He does not require of us today. God is the same God, but He simply does not work with man the same way in every dispensation.

There is something more than what is stated here. Every thought posed here seems to prove that there is a difference. Yet what does God require of man throughout eternity?

Deut. 6:4 “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one! 5 You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.

This is His promise to all men.

Deut. 30:11 “For this commandment which I command you today is not too mysterious for you, nor is it far off. 12 It is not in heaven, that you should say, “Who will ascend into heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ 13 Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, “Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ 14 But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may do it.

What does it mean, "But the word is very near you, in your mouth [b]and in your heart, that you may do it?"[/b]

Where God requires, God enables one's soul to keep His Covenant.

Faith is what ties everything together.
In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/2 17:54Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Quote:

Deut. 6:4 “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one! 5 You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.

Yes absolutely, and in this Church Age of Grace, we are to Love the Lord our God and believe on Him whom He has sent.

Jhn 5:38 And ye have not His word abiding in you: for whom He hath sent, Him ye believe not.

Jhn 5:44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that [cometh] from God only?

Jhn 5:47 But if ye believe not His writings, how shall ye believe My Words?

Jhn 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on Him whom He hath sent.

We cannot love the Lord our God without loving the Son, Who is the Glory of the Father whom all will worship and every knee will bow.

This mystery that was not revealed to any man or any other being created or not until it was revealed to Paul.

Colossians 1:25-28 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

Fulfill the Word of God, The Mystery, has been hid, but now, riches of Glory, this Mystery, Christ in you, Glory in Whom we preach, warning every one, teaching everyone, in all wisdom, man perfect in Christ Jesus.

None of this was available to the old testament saints. How can we miss what is being said?
To be In Christ is to be The Whole of God's eternal Plan of having He The Father's own birthed children in His House. Remember Jesus said, "Pray in this way," which had never been prayed before, "Our Father Who Art in Heaven."
Even though God is the Father of all, nobody was ever told to call Him Father when they prayed except when The Son of God told us.

Luke 11:2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.

What is the fulfillment of this prayer?

This is The prophesy of Jesus Christ Himself, which had never happened or had happened yet, but would happen at Pentecost, not just the Holy Spirit upon you or with you but in you.

Luke 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Only Three Places in the New Testament, Abba Father. None in the Old.

Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. Some might Daddy. O Father.

There is a Difference.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/3/2 20:44Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
This mystery that was not revealed to any man or any other being created or not until it was revealed to Paul.

Colossians 1:25-28 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

The parallel passage is... ...the mystery of Christ which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit... Eph 3:4,5 which makes it very plain that Paul was not the only recipient of this revelation.

2006/3/3 3:27Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Paul was not the only recipient of this revelation.

I think of Jeremiah, and Isaiah - their proclamation of the New Covenant promises. I think of David who experienced prophetic identity with the suffering Savior.

Quote:
He did not require of Moses; what He required of Noah (ark), He did not require of David. Likewise what He required of Moses and David (keep the Law),

I find this argument troublesome. David himself understood that observing the law in itself wouldn’t please God. God really wanted a contrite and broken heart.

Noah was called to do the same thing as we are - to leave the "world" and get aboard God's rescue boat (Christ). (be not equally yoked)
Spiritually, they are really the same thing, though may be visible in different ways.

Israel did not "enter his rest" because of UNBELIEF, not because of dispensation. God's Spirit was there in the desert. The ROCK of Christ was there, offering them salvation. (Hebrews ) But they rejected it. And that very same thing is happening all the time today - all over the world.

While I question of a lot of this, I do believe that there was a distinct era initiated through Christ and it is this: "he made the two one." God broke down the dividing wall between Jew and Gentile by abolishing the law and replacing it with the Spirit (as a law). And in Christ he also broke down other walls - slave, free, Barbarian/Greek, male/female.
Even saying that, it seems that there was a lot of this happening in the OT ex Rahab, etc.

I see other changes - Jerusalem was not the center any more - but the NEW Jerusalem - a new heaven and earth, a new 'land", ie dwelling place of which we are "citizens" (Eph. 2:19).

Yet, it seems like dispensationalists say little about these differences, and many seem to stear us right back into the Old Covenant "dispensation" - focus on form and place rather than Spirit and Truth.

Now, I realize that I am generalizing here - just pointing out what I seem to have observed a lot.

So, are we going to see a word study on the word: dispensation/stewardship? Is anyone working on it?
Diane

2006/3/3 7:39Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: Covenants and Dispensations

Wow...this has really run away...

Quote:

Christinyou wrote:
Each covenant God makes with man (with few exceptions) marks the begining of a new dispensation.

Human nature has in it the tendancy the almost addictive longing for completion. A work can't be left undone, a story untold, a question unanswered. I find myself constantly trying to teach my son, "If you don't know something don't make at the answer, keep searching until you find it. It's okay to not know something."

Evolutionary theory of the origin of life stays alive today because it is continually patched up with exceptions to the rules that have been proven to be inconsistant. God is utterly consistent. It is written that there is no "shadow of turning" in Him and that He is "not a man that He would lie, nor the son of man that He must repent." Is God allowed to change His mind? Yes. But does He? No, even o the point of expressing His desire to several times in scripture and not doing it once (if anyone can show one time when He did, then I'll happily retract this statement).

God's covenant with man kind has always being he same:

Go your own way in your own strength (ie, sin) and surely insure the death sentance (Gen 2:17).
The only way to atone for this is by placing our faith in a perscribed substitutionary sacrifice (Gen 3:21;4:4)
Calling upon Him for direction and ability to obey (Gen 4:26).

Note that God did of explain Himself in any of these verses above, which are the first indications of their occurance not only in scripture but in history. How dare I imply this when Scripture doesn't directly say it? Because it is clarified through the Adamic, Noahic, Abrahamic, etc Covenants. It's not a matter of one covenant cancelling the last one out, but that one further clarifies the last.

Consider the most popular "dispensational division", the Mosaic to the Messianic. One of the best verses in the NT that describes the New Covenant (ie, Messianic) is Rom 10:9 "If you confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." Here Paul is expounding a passage from Deut 30 proving his assertions by citing Isaiah the prophet. In other words, the New (Messianic) Covenant was alway contained in the Old (Mosaic) Covenant, only it was hidden.

Note also the way I have defined sin. When we choose a direction that God hasn't pointed, and a power source other than God, we have to ask ourselves who our director and empowerer is. God, who allows His bride to go "a whoring" is duty bound to His nature to render justice. It is not merely a sacrifice that suffices to cancel out the penalty, no matter how legitamate an offering. The sacrifice must be [b]substitutionary[/b]. A recognition of the sinner's sinfulness and the sacrifice's innocence must be recognised by the sinner. This is why only those who repent are saved, in spite of Jesus' sacrifice being once for all.

All of this of course is useless if it doesn't lead to the sinner being reunited with his Counsellor and Helper. Here is where we see one of the major differences between God's kingdom and satan's. Satan [b]directs[/b] by exciting our lusts (selfish desires) and then [b]empowers[/b] us to go in the "way that is right unto man". God on the other hand [b]counsels[/b] us in love and then [b]helps[/b] us to follow His advice, if we so choose. Essentially God's kingdom is passive in nature, mercifully allowing anyone to break their covenant with Him, in order to form one with satan. Satan however will not tolerate dissention, demanding appeasment by death. There is consistency in this that flows through every verse of scripture whether in our time of the permanent perfect sacrifice of the Lamb of God, or in the days of the temporary repetative sacrifice of the flock and the herd, that preceded and pointed to the perfect.

All this to say that if your theory about God leaves you with inconsistent rules and exceptions, keep searching the scriptures until clarity comes. Until then accept it as an area that is out of the reach of your understanding, because it is better to be dumb in an area than to drift off into error.

2006/3/3 8:08Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Tim Morton wrote:

Quote:
For instance, concerning Old Testament saints "looking forward to the cross," what cross?

The OT saints in the wilderness, followed the piller of smoke in the formation of the cross.

If one were to study the directions given to Israel, in the ways that they were to break camp and then follow God one would see the cross formed by the tribes.

But more important than the outward sign is the inward condition of those who are called saints in the OT. The effects of the cross, caused them to die to the things of this world. Salvation brings death upon those who walk with God.

Psalm 116:

13 I will take up the cup of salvation,
And call upon the name of the LORD.
14 I will pay my vows to the LORD
Now in the presence of all His people.
15 Precious in the sight of the LORD
Is the death of His saints.

The teachings of Jesus in Matthew 5:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
For they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
For they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
For they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
For they shall see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
For they shall be called sons of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. 12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

These teachings represent the work of the cross in the individual that lives by faith. This work is clearly portrayed thoughtout the OT.

Only through the work of the cross can man love God as He has required of all men.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/3 11:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy