SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : What does idolatry mean for modern day people

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
suzy

Devon, England

Re: What does idolatry mean for modern day people

I remember a very good friend of mine preaching and saying that an idol was [u]anything[/u] that took the place of God in our lives - belongings, cars, hobbies, people, husbands, wives, children, friends, homes, etc. God had to be the first in our lives; everything else came second.

Idolatry was one reason why the Jews went into exile. God said in Exodus 20 v 3 "Thou shalt have no other gods before me". And this command has not been changed for modern man!

Sue

2006/2/13 18:16Profile
Billy7

Re:

The bottom line--anything that you love more than you love God is in idol in your life.

2006/2/13 22:06Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: What does idolatry mean for modern day people

I agree with all that has been written on this thread and now would like to share my understanding of this subject. I, too, have been thinking a lot about this recently, believing moderns are more caught up with this then we want to believe.

The first of the ten commandments tells us: Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Hence all sins commemce with the failure to observe this one.

Now to understand what this means we need to apply the law of first mention. Go to the garden of Eden where Eve was being tempted. The serpent was tempting Eve by getting her to question God's word: Gen. 3:1: "Yea, hath God said?" Then he contradicted God's word "ye shall not surely die for God doeth know that in the day ye eat thereof , then your eyes will be opened and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." v. 4,5. In this case God's word was being displaced by the serpents' as the source from whom one receives direction. This is idoltry: displacing God's word for what he has expressly spoken for another whether it be my own opinion or anothers'.

ginnyrose

2006/2/16 15:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy