SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Gift of Discernment

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
brentw

Ohio

Re:

Maybe this has been said but I'm curious.

What about discerning who is really saved??
I have alot of thoughts on this subject but you always want to be careful...and tell someone who thinks they are really a christian that their not. Paul Ravenhill told me this is a growing problem today. People believe their saved but not. Well, this post is about discernment.

2006/2/10 15:12Profile

Re:

Quote:

Sentry wrote:
First of all, sometimes I think we make things WAY too complicated.

I tend to agree with "YeshuaIsMyGd"

It's like ....I just know something is not quite right with a certain individual or something like that.

And by the way...Each time I have felt that "feeling" (discernment) about someone, it has proven to be 100% accurate.

I don't brag on it...I don't share it with anyone...other than maybe my wife..and sometimes not even her...

I just take it for what it is...the Holy Spirit...giving me discernment in a particular situation.

[b]To me, it's the Holy Spirit, warning me, keeping me safe, in check, out of harm...teaching me...showing me wisdom..etc.[/b]

That's what I describe as the gift of discernment.

I could be wrong of course.
:-D

:-D I like this post.

I think it's important to stress that the difference between Godly Discernment and this other bunk, that comes out as a critical spirit or really "the flesh" ... is the nature of the person first ... are they humble and trusting Father like a little child or are they "TRYING" to discern (God's doesn't need our help that way) .... I've seen people look at someone, and their eye-brows come down & eyes squint, as they're looking at someone "trying to 'discern' that person". WEEIIIRRRDDD.

I've noticed that the most discerning are the most child like, as in humble and [i]leaning[/i] on Jesus in utter dependence, as if that were the most natural thing in the world to do.

Oops - Edited to say that I forgot to say ....

Whether this is the "gift" of discernment or just the Holy Spirit actively discerning for a child of God, on a somewhat regular basis (the person has ears open to the Lord out of total dependence), because that person knows WHO to trust ... I don't know, and frankly, I don't care which it is ... but I do believe it. :-)

2006/2/10 15:22
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Re:

Quote:

Whether this is the "gift" of discernment or just the Holy Spirit actively discerning for a child of God, on a somewhat regular basis (the person has ears open to the Lord out of total dependence), because that person knows WHO to trust ... I don't know, and frankly, I don't care which it is ... but I do believe it. :-)

Well said...and I agree also.

Perhaps it could be said that someone who has the "gift of discernment" has [b]MORE[/b] ability to "see" or "discern" someones intents?

I'm not sure...but I believe that EVERY believer should have this gift. Why? Because it's the nature of the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, [b]he shall teach you all things,[/b] and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Quote:
Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, [b]he will guide you into all truth:[/b] for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: [b]and he will show you things to come. [/b]

2006/2/10 16:09Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, show me where there is a gift called the gift of descernment... please... jimp

2006/2/10 16:21Profile
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Re:

Quote:

jimp wrote:
hi, show me where there is a gift called the gift of descernment... please... jimp

A very good statement...

perhaps "gift" is not quite the correct term to use.

I'm not able to look it up right now...but will do so later.

I guess it sorta proves my point...that ALL believers should possess this attribute...for lack of a better term.

We...as believers...should be able to discern (see, sense)...whether someone is a false prophet...or something just doesn't seem right...etc...

Perhaps people that are able to discern more than others are just paying more attention to the Holy Spirit?

I know this is rather simple...but maybe we should just be more attentive to the Holy Spirit?

I certainly am not an expert on this subject...not that anyone is. ;-)

Thank God for discernment...!!!

EDIT...

1Co 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; [b]to another discerning of spirits;[/b] to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Co 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

2006/2/10 16:58Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi jimp...

Quote:

I believe that everyone is referring to the I Corinthians 12:10 verse concerning the gift of "discerning of spirits:"
Quote:
"To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; [/b]to another discerning of spirits[b]; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:"

The NIV translates this as "[i]distinguishing between spirits[/i]."

I believe in this gift, and I have seen and experienced it firsthand. Unfortunately, I have seen the [u]misuse[/u] much more often. Has anyone else seen someone make an accusation that they blamed on this "gift" of discernment? I have noticed this -- and often from the most [u]sincere[/u] and [u]well-meaning[/u] believers! I believe that we must be careful, lest we speak a [u][i]lie[/i][/u] that we truly feel is [u][i]discernment[/i][/u].

If you have had this happen to you, how do you correct the person? There are some well-meaning believers that I know that claim to have this gift. Sometimes, it seems like they are right on target! But still other times, they quickly state what they feel, and end up scarring young believers. It happened to my girlfriend a couple of years ago while attending a prayer meeting. It has happened to me on several ocassions since meeting the Lord.

Less than a year after meeting the Lord, I went to a Christian youth camp in Tennessee. The weekend before the camp, I was helping my dad clear some branches in the forest located on our property. In the process, I scraped the inner sides of my forearms. I didn't need to go to the doctors office, but it left a rather ugly set of marks for a while (that looked a little like deep scars). One night at camp, I noticed one of the evangelist's wives staring at my arms during worship. At the end of the service, I prayed on my knees at my seat. This lady walked up to me and told me that she had the gift of "discerning of spirits." Immediately, she told me that she had "discerned" the "spirit of suicide" on me.

I was embarrassed, because she was saying this outloud. She asked me, "Is this
true?" I was trying to quietly tell her that she was wrong when she just began praying for me. She started "rebuking" that suicidal spirit, along with a spirit of depression, supression, oppression, and a few others to boot. Of course, alot of other well-meaning "spiritual" pastors and youth workers joined in to lay hands on me. I sort of just stood there stunned. I just wanted to leave. I have [u]never[/u] been suicidal in my life -- not even before I was a believer!

Since then, I have come to realize that many very sincere people really mess up like this -- and then call it "discernment." It has happened to me and others at Church, at prayer meetings, and even on these forums from time to time. Most of the time, the people who "mess up" never get around to admitting that they actually messed up. In fact, they continue to practice their "discernment" upon others.

Brothers and sisters, we must be careful about what we say. And if we are not 100% undeniably certain that what we have received is from the Lord, then we must be slow to speak (or write). Otherwise, we may be attributing something to the Lord that is not from the Lord. And as a result, lives may be hurt or damaged. My girlfriend is still hurting from the pain caused by someone's claim of "discernment."

:-(

2006/2/10 17:10Profile
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Re:

Quote:

I believe in this gift, and I have seen and experienced it firsthand. Unfortunately, I have seen the [u]misuse[/u] much more often. Has anyone else seen someone make an accusation that they blamed on this "gift" of discernment? I have noticed this -- and often from the most [u]sincere[/u] and [u]well-meaning[/u] believers! I believe that we must be careful, lest we speak a [u][i]lie[/i][/u] that we truly feel is [u][i]discernment[/i][/u].

misused?

yes...a lot I'm afraid.

With me...I have learned to try and keep my mouth shut. (I'm still learning by the way).
I feel that perhaps God is talking to me and for me and me only. Not to share with others or try and convince others.
Am I making sense?

It's like our nature is to always want to share what God has told us...or revealed to us.

But I believe that most of the time God is dealing with [b]ME[/b]...and ME only...perhaps an object lesson...showing me wisdom...etc.

Quote:

Brothers and sisters, we must be careful about what we say. And if we are not 100% undeniably certain that what we have received is from the Lord, then we must be slow to speak (or write). Otherwise, we may be attributing something to the Lord that is not from the Lord. And as a result, lives may be hurt or damaged. My girlfriend is still hurting from the pain caused by someone's claim of "discernment."
:-(

AMEN, AMEN, and AMEN!

2006/2/10 17:58Profile

Re:

Chris, if I were there I would have decked her one.

Haaa. In love and the Spirit of course.

Seriously though, I don't go for this nonsense of "telling people what your "Gift" is" #1 ... Not even if it's just the "gift of teaching" or "serving" or "giving" or "mercy", etc. etc.. As soon as someone tells me "I have the gift of mercy or whatever" ... I back off.

I'm not saying that to anyone who's posted here ... because I think Josh and Sentry's hearts are not proud and puffed up, 'self'-confident and all of that.

Secondly, anyone who starts with that, "I sense [u]a spirit of[/u] this or that" ... is usually 98% of the time wrong.

Jesus did cast out a "spirit of this or that", but that was not a common practice to "name spirits".

I've seen this mostly in the so-called "Deliverance Ministry Movement". Bunch a hog-wash.

Sorry, I'm not as tactful as some ... I'm more like Paul with tact when it comes to spiritual abuses and in what you are talking about Chris, what that woman did to you, has been and is going on all over the globe for a long-long time.

Even the prophets are subject to the prophets when they speak a word.

These lone ranger demon chasers should be exposed just like the story someone else gave on this thread of that prostitute, soliciting money from that Church.

I know of a similar incidence, where a woman came and took a position of working with the youth.
Someone got a word of knowledge, I guess you'd call it, or discernment, that this woman was actually in the slave trade market.
The person told the Pastor, etc. but no one would listen ... but Thankfully ... the Lord Himself revealed that this was true about her.

Lotsa "hooga-booga" things go on in the Charismatic/Pentacostal realms, so we need always to have our "Shield" up.

We learned that the hard way too, about "dropping your shield around "Christians", most especially with those in any 'authority' type position."

Our spirits looked like your arms did. All scarred up.

We all need "discernment" and all the more as that Day approaches, because the Deception is going to go beyond anything we've ever seen as yet.

That's why, I'm not too concerned at the moment, of whether we want to term this gift from God (regardless) as "the" gift of discernment or just Holy Spirit given discernment .... I just know we'll all need discernment of this type, as we go along in these days, till He Comes.

And humble, child-like dependence, looking up to Him is the safest way to be protected in that way.

I liked all of your posts too Sentry. Thank you.

God Bless and Protect.
been wounded too

2006/2/10 18:32
jimp

Re:

dear me,dear me, i perceive you have the gift of gab. jimp

2006/2/10 19:25Profile

Re:

Quote:
It's like ....I just know something is not quite right with a certain individual or something like that.

And by the way...Each time I have felt that "feeling" (discernment) about someone, it has proven to be 100% accurate.

I don't brag on it...I don't share it with anyone...other than maybe my wife..and sometimes not even her...

I just take it for what it is...the Holy Spirit...giving me discernment in a particular situation.

To me, it's the Holy Spirit, warning me, keeping me safe, in check, out of harm...teaching me...showing me wisdom..etc.

Blessings Mark, my name is joshua 8-)

I think your idea on the gift of discernment is a little off. Because, it's almost saying 'those who have a prophetic word, is to be silent.' likewise 'those who have a word of healing for someone, to be silent.' And brother, I'm sorry but it's not biblical.

BUT, at the same time. What you do is safer.

I believe WHATEVER gift you have. First needs to be tested(by the one that received it) and when it holds true, then given to someone or causes us to pray more.

Yes, their is alot of false. More than 5/6 people in this world aren't christian, let alone Charasmatic. So, exspect the false. But our concern here is 'what is the truth'.

I've heard stories of sisters in Christ (surprisingly enough, no brothers...) that said 'I saw this in the Spirit...and I weep for the people's sins.'

I think the gift of discernment should cause the person who has to to PRAY and/or ACT. Cause if you 'get' something for God, God doesn't just give you something to keep to yourself. That's totally unbiblical. (Unless, someone can prove me wrong, scriputally)

Can you discern's someone's salvation? YES, but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is VERY dangerous and should be taken with extreme care.

Demon's have discerning spirits. Remember all the demons say 'You are the Son of God' and in one stance Jesus says 'shhhh'. Jesus never even spoke a word, but the demon reconized the spiritual.

I believe every Christian has a hint of discernment. But some do have a calling to 'discern' things. And those that see 'many' things in the Spirit, BETTER not keep quite about it, cause the Body of Christ can't work, to it's fullest potential, with only 90% of the body moving.

I hope you all understood my post, if not, please ask a question.

2006/2/10 23:13

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy