SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are you an Adulterer?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
byandby

Re:

Sorry, Double post

2006/2/1 18:07Profile
1956Ford

NC

Re:

Cindy that is wonderful news that you speak of this lady who is repenting of her adultery. I too was an adulteress. I was married to a divorced man. I repented of that remarital adultery.
My testimony is at www.poovy.8m.com

Cheryl
Poovy's Yarbs For Yankees
& Why I repented of an adulterous remarriage.
www.poovy.8m.com
Visit my audio website http://68.70.125.99:8081/ to listen to broadcasts on MDR
ftp://public:[email protected]

2006/2/1 18:09Profile
byandby

Re: Are you an Adulterer?

Hello 56Ford and Lastblast!

I was at the Marriages for Life Conference too. I was amazed to see such distinguished men in the leadership of the body of Christ worldwide call the church back to the truth on marriage divorce and remarriage.

There was so much teaching shared by so many! Here is what Jerome, the great father of the church wrote on the subject when asked about a particular case:

'In explaining the testimony of the apostle, "The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband; and likewise, also, the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife," we have subjoined the following: "The entire question relates to those who are living in wedlock, whether it is lawful for them to put away their wives, a thing which the Lord also has forbidden in the Gospel.

Following the decision of the Lord the apostle teaches that a wife must not be put away saving for fornication, and that, if she has been put away, she cannot during the lifetime of her husband marry another man, or, at any rate, that she ought, if possible, to be reconciled to her husband. In another verse he speaks to the same effect: `The wife is bound ...as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband; she is at liberty to be married to, whom she will; only in the Lord.

I find joined to your letter of inquiries a short paper containing the following words: "ask him,(that is me,) whether a woman who has left her husband on the ground that he is an adulterer and sodomite and has found herself compelled to take another may in the lifetime of him whom she first left be in communion with the church without doing penance for her fault." As I read the case put I recall the verse "they make excuses for their sins."

We are all indulgent to our own faults; and what our own will leads us to do we attribute to a necessity of nature. It is as though a young man were to say, "I am over-borne by my body, the glow of nature kindles my passions, the structure of my frame and its reproductive organs call for sexual intercourse." Or again a murderer might say, "I was in want, I stood in need of food, I had nothing to cover me. If i shed the blood of another, it was to save myself from dying of cold and hunger."

Tell the sister, therefore, who thus enquires of me concerning her condition, not my sentence but that of the apostle. "Know ye not, brethren (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband, so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. So then, if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress." And in another place: "the wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord."

The apostle has thus cut away every plea and has clearly declared that, if a woman marries again while her husband is living, she is an adulteress. You must not speak to me of the violence of a ravisher, a mother's pleading, a father's bidding, the influence of relatives, the insolence and the intrigues of servants, household losses. A husband may be an adulterer or a sodomite, he may be stained with every crime and may have been left by his wife because of his sins; yet he is still her husband and, so long as he lives, she may not marry another.

The apostle does not promulgate this decree on his own authority but on that of Christ who speaks in him. For he has followed the words of Christ in the gospel: "whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced, committeth adultery." Mark what he says: "whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery." Whether she has put away her husband or her husband her, the man who marries her is still an adulterer.

I have not been able quite to determine what it is that she means by the words "has found herself compelled" to marry again. What is this compulsion of which she speaks? Was she overborne by a crowd and ravished against her will? If so, why has she not, thus victimized, subsequently put away her ravisher? Let her read the books of Moses and she will find that if violence is offered to a betrothed virgin in a city and she does not cry out, she is punished as an adulteress: but if she is forced in the field, she is innocent of sin and her ravisher alone is amenable to the laws.

Therefore if your sister, who, as she says, has been forced into a second union, wishes to receive the body of Christ and not to be accounted an adulteress, let her do penance; so far at least as from the time she begins to repent to have no farther intercourse with that second husband who ought to be called not a husband but an adulterer. If this seems hard to her and if she cannot leave one whom she has once loved and will not prefer the Lord to sensual pleasure, let her hear the declaration of the apostle: "ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table and of the table of devils," and in another place: "what communion hath light with darkness? and what concord hath Christ with Belial?' –Letters 55, 58

Bless you

ByandBy

2006/2/1 18:13Profile

Re: Are you an adulterer?

Hello everyone,

PreachParsly, this was discussed in depth in the thread 'Help! I've got 10 wives!!'

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5599&forum=36]https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5599&forum=36[/url]

2006/2/1 21:00
1956Ford

NC

Re:

Lastblast,By and By thought you may like this one. Here is a testimony from a pastor who repented of an adulterous remarriage in 1907.

"I was born June 30th, 1882, a few miles south of Memphis, Tennessee, and spent the earlier part of my life in and about that section. At the age of 19 I was married to a young lady of 17. She was then... excellent girl. About four years later we moved to Chicago, Illinois., where we were both converted and sanctified, and lived a happy Christian life for some time. But as time passed my wife grew cold and indifferent, and finally renounced religious scruples, and went in to open sin and uncleanness to such an extent that I was forced to "put her away” according to Matthew 5:32. However, I remained unmarried, having been instructed by the Bible and my religious teachers that there were Bible grounds to put away the unclean party, but none whatever to -remarry while-she-lived. So I believed and taught this for years, from the pulpit and through the press. But later on I read more largely on the subject and met many holy, devout men, as I went forth in the evangelistic work, who were more experienced both in Word and ministry than I, and who believed there were Bible grounds for the innocent party to remarry under my circumstances, taking Matthew 19:9 for their authority....

The rest of the testimony is at
http://poovy.8m.com/humphrey.html

Cheryl
Poovy's Yarbs For Yankees
& Why I repented of an adulterous remarriage.
www.poovy.8m.com
Visit my audio website http://68.70.125.99:8081/ to listen to broadcasts on MDR
ftp://public:[email protected]

2006/2/1 22:29Profile
TonyS

Kansas City, Missouri

Re:

Cheryl,

this portion was at the very end of this incredible story:

"Since we did so (ended an adulterous remarriage), I feel as clean as an angel. And I am fully convinced that divorce-marriages are wrong; no matter if every preacher in the universe says they are not. I have been in Hell (so to speak) for almost two years on account of listening to false teachers. O,.friend! don't be deceived by any preacher or teacher! It is wrong beyond all shadow of doubt! If I had the voice of an archangel I would sound it from pole to pole. I came near losing my soul by giving ear to these false teachers, rather than to God! Of course, many of them are good, well-meaning Christian men, but they are only giving their opinions, and also what that isolated passage in Matt. 19:9 seems to mean. But I have been caught in the snare of the thing, and God has been hurling light and conviction on my soul for nearly two years, both night and day, making me know and feel that the thing is wrong. I am not writing what I think, but what I positively know; and am willing to seal this testimony with my blood.
I know whereof I speak. And no matter how conferences or church disciplines may rock the conscience of the people to sleep, telling them they can marry while their husbands or wives live; they are wrong, and the souls whom they are deceiving will find it out when eternity is unveiled, if not before. I thank God that He kept conviction and light streaming from heaven on my soul until I walked in it, in spite of all the false comforters who were crying, Peace, Peace, when there was no peace; but dread, fear and awful uncertainty."

Sister this is my testimony. God is in no wise amused, and is calling for a return to Holiness if we are to know his glory. It really is heart-breaking to see and know so many with no real peace, no real blessed assurance because they have been sold a bill of goods that "God Understands and is winking at it all". It would serve us well to understand that which He forbids is forbidden.

Maybe the times of this ignorance He has winked at? I don't know, but I am glad He is raising up a remnant that refuses to bend nor bow to popular opinion and is giving equal time to the call to forsake heterosexual sin.

Blessings,
tonys

2006/2/1 23:56Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

"Are you an adulterer"? Yes, Am I forgiven? Yes, completely. Will I be a adulterer in the future, Probably, Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. but the Christ in me is loving me so much that I don't want to be an adulterer, and He is winning. Are you a sinner? Yes Am I forgiven? Yes completely. Do I have the Mind of Christ? Yes. Is He winning? Yes! The less I become the more He becomes. He will win and I will be the winner. Jesus Christ is my Hope of Glory. Someday I will be perfect and that does not keep me from wanting to be perfect now and knowing He is the only way. My perfection will be because of the Christ in me and not because of what I do, but because of what He has done.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/2/2 4:53Profile

Re: Are you an adulterer?

Amen Phillip.

2006/2/2 5:47
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

http://www.biblebb.com/files/macqa/IA-repent.htm

"The meaning of the word repentance has been twisted in recent years to the point that its biblical meaning is now obscured in the minds of many. The idea that genuine repentance could result in anything but a change of life is completely foreign to Scripture.

What does the Bible teach about the relationship between salvation and repentance? First, it teaches that repentance is essential to salvation. One cannot truly believe unless he repents, and one cannot truly repent unless he believes. Repentance and faith are two sides of the same coin (but they are not synonymous terms). Acts 11:18 and 2 Peter 3:9 are two of the many verses that teach that repentance is necessary for salvation. Perhaps 2 Timothy 2:25 best sums up the relationship between repentance and saving faith when it speaks of "repentance to the acknowledging of the truth" (see also Acts 20:21).

Second, the Greek word for repentance, "metanoia," while it means "to have another mind," cannot properly be defined to exclude a sense of hatred of and penitence for sin. The biblical concept of repentance involves far more than merely a casual change of thinking. Biblically, a person who repents does not continue willfully in sin. Repentance is a turning from sin, and it always results in changed behavior (Luke 3:8). While sorrow from sin is not equivalent to repentance, it is certainly an element of scriptural repentance (2 Corinthians 7:10).

Finally, despite what is being widely taught today, affirming that repentance and acknowledgement of Jesus' lordship are necessary to salvation does not "add" anything to the requirement of faith for salvation. It is not "faith plus repentance" that saves, but rather a repentant faith. The notion that salvation is possible apart from a genuine, heartfelt repentance, which includes a deep hatred of sin, is a relatively new one, neither believed nor taught by the people of God until the twentieth century."

I think MacArthur is right on concerning the nature of repentance. However, even he, concerning the MDR issue, does not remain consistant in his teachings. He teaches when one is under the conviction of being IN an adulterous marriage (through study of the Word), that repentance of this adultery is just confession/sorrow over "past" mistakes. He teaches that one cannot "unscramble the egg", yet he cannot show how the FIRST egg CAN be unscrambled---the one blended together by God's own hand. How can one "unscramble" what GOD has joined together, but not unscramble that which God has NOT joined together (adultery)?

I believe the current trends and practices within the confessing Body of Christ have clouded our being able to rightly reason what repentance means concerning this type of adultery. We don't seem to have any problem understanding what repentance means for other sins. I believe the reason is this: adultery by remarriage is NOW accepted in MOST of the professing Church........therefore, I believe, PRACTICE of sin has blinded us to what the Lord has clearly called sin in His Word. We now will argue about it or justify it because surely, He really didn't MEAN what He said.

We(the Western Church) have become what Paul rebuked in the Corinthian church (I Cor. 5). We believe we are full of "Grace" and "mercy" because we allow sin to remain in the camp----covering it over, instead of holding to God's standard of holiness.

We do have many "holiness" preachers, but even many of them are guilty of this sin. Someone wrote me not too long ago about the so-called holiness preachers and their hypocrisy on this issue. It makes the message they proclaim of "holiness" and "being separated for Christ's sake" seem to be the ultimate in hypocrisy. They are not believeable to those of us who see the hypocrisy---which is a shame because much of their message IS good and biblically correct.

I am greatly encouraged though that God has and is working in the saints concerning this issue of repentance from adultery. That testimony from the Pastor who repented from his adulterous marriage in 1907 was incredible........I am hearing more and more such testimonies. Maybe/Hopefully, testimonies such as his and the other testimonies of today will encourage people to seek the WORD of GOD and obey it BEFORE they find themselves in such a painful mess----wondering if they have to depart from the sin or whether they can "stay" in it with the Lord's blessings........My heart is truly grieved for the upcoming generation who is looking to us to provide examples of holiness/righteousness in Christ. Unless we repent of all of our adulteries, (of heart AND action)instead of excusing ourselves, our children will follow suit, turning the Lord's design for marriage into even more of an abomination in His sight. Hard words, I know, but words that are sown deep in my heart-----in mourning for the church. In Him, Cindy

2006/2/3 9:34Profile

Re:

Amen Cindy.......Just a thought. I am from Scotland and have lived in the States for 16 years. Two of the biggest problems in the church seem to be divorce(over 50% of "Christians) and prosperity. This is merely a reflection of the culture. and that is what we are as a church. Instead of being a counter culture, we are merely a sub-culture. In fact we find oursleves as soldiers "protectimg our culture. I believe this springs out of the third problem the American church has, nationalism. In my experience, proffesing Christians are often American first and Christians second. This has been made worse by Christian leaders dragging Christians into politics and trying to convnce us all that America is akin to the New Jerusalem. (Please read Lions led by donkeys., Judgement on American Christian leaders)...........Frank

2006/2/3 10:17

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy