SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Your Bible- which one?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Why Did Christ Die?

KJV –for us NEW VERSIONS --OMIT

Romans 5:8 NIV
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died [b]for us.[/b]

The NIV says that Christ died for us. Why are you saying that this version omits it when it clearly doesn't?

Quote:
For Whom Did Christ Come?

KJV—men NEW VERSIONS—men on whom his favor rests

Romans 5:6 NIV
You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died [b]for the ungodly.[/b]

Christ died for all the ungodly. Why are you suggesting that the NIV (A "New Version") says something it clearly doesn't?

Quote:
How Are We Saved?

KJV –by grace NEW VERSIONS- OMIT

Acts 15:11 NIV
No! We believe it is [b]through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved,[/b] just as they are."

Ephesians 2:5 NIV
made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—[b]it is by grace you have been saved.[/b]

Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV
[b]For it is by grace you have been saved[/b], through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.

The NIV clearly (couldn't be any clearer) states that it is by grace we are saved. Why are you saying it is omitted? Are you sure you are reading the NIV?

Quote:
KJV—through His blood NEW VERSIONS- OMIT

Ephesians 1:7 NIV
In him we have redemption [b]through his blood[/b], the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace

Once again, the NIV contains what you say it doesn't...

(for the sake of time I will skip ahead)

Quote:
DESTINATION OF THE UNSAVED

KJV- hell NEW VERSIONS—grave
KJV- hell NEW VERSIONS—death
KJV- fire NEW VERSIONS--OMIT

Revelation 20:15
If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was [b]thrown into the lake of fire.[/b]

Quote:
Does this open your eyes? It opened mine.

Quick question for you, do you believe that the NIV is part of these "Modern Versions" that you are reading? I have clearly refuted your post and I am curious to know if your eyes have been opened in the process.

Pleae refrain from continuing this discussion if all you are going to do is post misleading information about bibles such as the NIV. If you wish to study and read the King James only...God Bless you! But please stop trashing good, honest bible translations such as the NIV.

I also appeal to the moderators of this board to call Stevers posts into question and if he is indeed posting lies and misinformation that he would be asked to cease.

Thank you.

2006/1/24 19:53Profile

Re: Take your medicine and go to bed.

Brother SteveR

It would be beneficial for all of us including yourself to heed to Ron Bailey's insight on the scriptures.

For you to continue arguing with someone who has more knowledge on the subject is foolishness.

Find your place, sit down and listen before you speak. Consider what your are rebutting, your acting like a student arguing with his teacher, and your the only one who is looking silly.

There are no brownie points here!

2006/1/24 20:31
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

by philologos on 2006/1/18 3:03:40

""What would you say about the KJV's constant bias towards hierarchical leadership in the church and its return to the anglican orthodoxy in the use of words like 'charity, confession, church'?""

I would say that those that have been given the gift to see the inconsistencies in the Word are responsible to bring the truth they have been trusted with by the Holy Spirit to the revelation of these inconsistencies to the Body of Christ.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/1/24 22:16Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Loveslave's

Quote:
For you to continue arguing with someone who has more knowledge on the subject is foolishness.

Not always. :-) “I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.”
(Psa. 119:99, KJVS)...a man who meditates in the scripture can often have more 'understanding' though not necessarily more 'knowledge' than 'my teachers'.

I honestly don't want to 'win' this argument. In my normal, offline, life I spend more time defending the KJV which is my version of carefully considered choice. Most of my peers and closest friends have now opted for a 'modern version'. 99% of my preaching is from the KJV. I only use other versions if the church/group I am preaching to has a stated preference. The reason I am protesting Stevers' arguments is that he is bringing what can be a reasonably argued position into disrepute by cavalier comments and strings of irrelevant quotations. Most people reading his posts will conclude that if this the argument for retaining the use of the KJV they are better off with their new versions.

I do NOT believe that the modern versions constitute a conspiracy to dilute the word of God although I do think much of their reasoning for changes is at fault. In particular the 'textual origin' theories of Westcott and Hort and their more moderate successors are very dubious and rest on conjecture rather than solid evidence, so I am an adherent of the Byzantine Textform. But you can disagree with brethren without demonizing them.

I know nothing about firearms so if this illustration is poor please accept my apologies. If someone gave me an old and tested rifle and said 'it tends to shoot to the left' I would be grateful for that information. I would not trash the weapon. The KJV has some weaknesses and some bias which we need to be aware of but it has some strengths which are missing from most of those 'modern versions'.

I love and trust the KJV, I just don't want readers of Stevers' comments to conclude that the reasons he is giving are the reasonable evidence for choosing the KJV; they are neither reasonable nor are they evidence. Perhaps I should start a new thread on 'why I choose the KJV' over those many other versions?

2006/1/25 4:38Profile
TheophilusMD

New Jersey

Re:

Quote:
Philologos wrote:
Perhaps I should start a new thread on 'why I choose the KJV' over those many other versions?

Please do so. :-D

Having come from a country in which English is a second language I started out with NIV because it was a lot easier to understand. In fact, without biblical background the KJV is still difficult to understand (at least for Filipinos) that is why the KJV is not commonly used in the Philippines. I love the KJV but I want to know more why you choose this over the other translations.

2006/1/25 9:48Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
Perhaps I should start a new thread on 'why I choose the KJV' over those many other versions?

Go for it.

EDIT: Sorry.. to be redundant... I didn't see Theophilus' post.

2006/1/25 9:57Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
I honestly don't want to 'win' this argument.

How that could be applied across so many things...

Ron, the whole of this is so succinct, so well spoken, all I could think of was "This ought to be the [i]end[/i] of all argument"

2006/1/25 10:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy