SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Narnia series

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Randilover

Re:

I know they came out in a different order then the storyline, but wasn't the order:
The Magicians Nephew
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
The Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Last Battle

I think the Magicians Nephew actually has the start of Narnia in it, right?. :-)

2005/12/5 13:17Profile
Roxi

Tallahassee, Florida

Re:

Actually, the books were originally ordered the way that I listed them in my last post. I am not sure why the order has been changed as of late. In my opinion, I think people will get a lot more out of the stories if they are read in the original order. They are much more exciting! :o)

Tiffanie

2005/12/5 14:49Profile
Randilover

Re:

I guess it's opinion. :-P I always liked how they panned out in chronological order rather than in the order they were released.

2005/12/5 17:03Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

brethren
the Lord has led me though the Acts of the Holy Spirit and as far as evangelism goes, this is the trend that He showed me.
1)the Holy Spirit directed the apostles or whoever was sent with the gospel to point out that whowver was receiving the message was a sinner in need of redemption.
2)the person(s) was(were) convicted of their sin by the Holy Spirit and repented.
3)the person(s) then was baptized and was added to the body of believers and the Lord added daily to their ranks because the apostles followed the leadings of the Spirit. if we want to add to the ranks of those of us who are believers this is what we need to do. This is the precedent set by God through the Holy Spirit and our problem today aside from the false current church structure is lack of submission to the Holy Spirit. i mean look at what we are discussing, in essence using our imaginings to preach the gospel!we already have a blueprint, let the Holy Spirit speak and do whatever the Father says. i mean brethren it is most creative of us to try and use any little thing we can to preach Christ and to me that smacks of perspiration rather than the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. The gospel message is simple, why do we complicate it so?

i fear this blending of the secular with the Christian is most grieving to the Holy Spirit as it hinders the work of God. the only way that one can be led to Christ is that the person is convicted of his sin, repents and accepts the gift of salvation.

Quote:
Thirdly, as said before, the types are far more obviously Christian. Aslan the lion himself actually tells the children (I forget which book, The Dawn Treader, I think) he is Jesus in the world they come from. Not to spoil it for you, but there is a crucifixion and resurrection in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It’s moving and awesome. Therefore, it can probably be said that children (and adults alike) will be able to draw the line from Narnia to real life. I heard Focus on the Family this morning and the point wsa made: people will be able to more clearly draw the line from this story to the Bible. It’ll jump out more (“Hey, that’s just like Jesus!!!)

i'd never heard of this book till now but i'm disturbed by Aslan telling the children that he is Christ. that doesn't sit right with my spirit at all and i pray we all ask ourselves or better yet seek the Lord on how He feels about all of this. is what's written in scripture concerning God and our salvation not good enough for us that we have to bring in fictional stories to spread the gospels?have we no faith in the convicting power of the Holy Spirit that we become most inventive in reeling people into salvation?has the gospel become too simple for us now that we have become os sophisticated? brethren the success of the early church was tied to them simply following the leadings of the Holy SPirit and preaching the simple gospel, if we want to be involved in the coming of the Kingdom we need to go back to the roots on which the church was founded on. bro Randilover if Focus on the family endorses this movie as one that can be used to win souls that's one thing but at the end of the day if Christ Himself doesn't approve of using such things then we should not use them for the spreading of the gospel.

Quote:
Finally, to those who seem to comments on how the LOTR and how the Bible condemns witchcraft, please get your collective heads out of your legalistic sand holes. Gandalf the wizard in no way what-so-ever endorses witchcraft as the Bible condemns (have you even read the books?!?), and for all intent and purposes was a type of Christ as he is actually resurrected in the story. There has been such a multitude of information on how LOTR and Narnia are different than a Harry Potter type witchcraft, to not have done the research and then make the comments above is irresponsible. Are books that were written recently like “Finding God in the LOTR” lying when they can (quite easily) draw the parralles between Biblical truth and Tolkein’s works?

isn't a wizard one who practices some sort of magic? isn't witchcraft any sort of power practised or exhibited that is not of God?again about Gandalf being resurrected and then equating that to a type of Christ is blaspheming Christ in my opinion. if you or anyone else want to make that stretch of judgement, that's cool, i'd rather err on the side of caution and not try and mix Christ with anything else.if however one would like to make that connection i think it would be a good idea to seek the Lord on it and be sure lest one kindles His wrath against himself.the word says in proverbs that there is a way which seems right unto man but the end therof is destruction...it seems ok to try and see how God can be found in the Lord of the rings and so on but at the end of the day that may well lead us into destruction.

call me legalistic but i'd rather be at odds with the world and be in good standing with God than be at odds with God...the former is a battle that is won, the latter is a battle one is doomed to lose and there will be hell to pay for that loss.

brethren in short the gospel is simple, the way to win souls is to allow the HOly Spirit to move in us and through us withour any hindrance. Peter spoke to the people in the temple shortly after Christ ascended to heaven and the Holy Spirit came and simply told the Jews that they killed the Messiah who was the Son of God. now long story or parable or any of this other foolishness we try to pass off as usable for spreading the word but only what the Holy Spirit gave him unction to speak. the people were troubled coz they were convicted by God and asked what to do and Peter told them to repent and be baptized. they were and in so doing joined the ranks of the believers. that's all there is to brethren. is that too simple for us? :-? if this simple gospel was good enough for those who got to hang out with Christ then it's good enough for me...

2005/12/5 18:27Profile
Roxi

Tallahassee, Florida

Re:

To reply to IRONMAN:
Your point is well taken. I do not encourage mixing secularism with Christianity either. And I agree, many times when this happens it is blaspheme and a disgrace to a holy God. However, I would urge you to really look into the story of the Chronicles from a biblical perspective. I don't know if you have read any other C.S. Lewis writings, but if you have you know that he has a wealth of knowlegde leading to the ways of Christ.
Keeping in mind that Lewis wrote the Chronicles for a younger audience in which his goal was to capture the imagination, while at the same time showing the nature of Christ by using characters, such as Aslan and the White Witch to represent people from the Bible (Christ and Satan respectively).
I can definitely understand your hesitancy to engage your mind in a fictious book when you can read and meditate on the Word (I encourage you to do this) :o). But I do believe that God has anointed these books by C.S. Lewis, and has blessed many people who have spent the time reading these books and who have understood the imagery used by Lewis to hit at heart issues.
Although these were written for kids, I sure was cut deeply by them. I can definitely say that I have been able to relate to many of the struggles that these characters face in these stories.
As for The Lord of the Rings, I have never read them and to be honest I really don't have a desire to. I unforunitely saw the first two movies (back before I was a new creation) and I don't really care to read the books. But maybe that is just me :-(
Well I hope this was helpful!

Tiffanie

2005/12/5 19:56Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

sis Roxi
i'm not entirely sure how i would go about reading the Chronicles of Narnia from a biblical perspective :-? but if the Lord leads i shall read it. i've not read any works from c.s. lewis (don't read much save for the word and whatever other books the Lord leads me to)or j.r.r. tolkien. i still wouldn't use such works to lead anyone to Christ, for that i'd lean solely on the leadings of the Holy Spirit who would lead me to scripture. i've watched the Lord of the rings trilogy (and may watch the lion witch and the wardrobe...maybe i watched the cartoon version as a child...)and i'm amazed at man's capacity for imagination and entertainment but the Lord doesn't require any of that to save souls. all He needs is a willing vessel to do whatever He leads one to to.

this does beg a question though, why can't we just use the bible to teach out children about God? :-(

2005/12/5 21:00Profile
Roxi

Tallahassee, Florida

Re:

IRONMAN:
I think that it is awesome that you are ih the Word, and I agree that we should point people to scripture. But I also believe that God is able to speak through anything to lead people to Himself. Anyway, continue seeking the Lord, and if the Spirit leads you to read the Chronicles, great! :o)

Tiffanie

2005/12/5 23:40Profile

Re: Narnia series

Quote:
Keeping in mind that Lewis wrote the Chronicles for a younger audience in which his goal was to capture the imagination, while at the same time showing the nature of Christ by using characters, such as Aslan and the White Witch to represent people from the Bible (Christ and Satan respectively).

This simply is not true. Let me quote from a post I made in the original thread..

Quote:
they were about a fictional world into which 'evil' had 'crept', which needed a god to save them.

Much to my joy, he managed to squeeze in 'just as God had to come and save ours' which got me laughing and shouting praises round my kitchen!

I know I'm quoting the stepson accurately here and from my reading of the Chronicles many years ago, I find this a much more amenable explanation. There may be many hints about the nature of God, of good, of evil and so on, but, a non-Christian would have a hard time finding Jesus - the Word made Flesh - through them.

Ironman,

Your case is not only well made, I believe you're completely correct to approach evangelism this way. While aspects of understanding the gospel can be discussed using any film as a springboard - for instance, using any love story - the word of God itself remains the most powerful means to communicate truth to a heart.

2005/12/6 7:08
Randilover

Re:

Hey, Ironman. I agree with the others about it's good to be in the Word. I also agree with you that apart from God, nothing else saves. My question would be what do you do with the gospels and the book of Acts when they use imaginative stories to draw parrelells to unbelievers?

In much the same way our Lord used farmers and fishes and birds to communicate a greater truth, or Paul used a pagan altar to pin down conscience in unbelievers to lead them to the truth, Lewis used an imaginative land to communicate them as well. I do teach my daughter from the Bible, but I am looking forward to reading the Narnia Chron. to her and getting the wealth of information from them and drawing the paralells with the truths of the Bible.

My child might not understand redemption as a biblical concept right away, but I can easily draw the line from Aslan the Lion laying down his life for Edmund since Edmund was a traitor and blood had to be spilled for trechery. She might not be able to get her arms around absolute truth and how reality is rooted and grounded in the the nature of God. But she'll be able to do so when she makes the connection between that and Puddlegum the Marshwiggle proclaiming in the face of evidence to the contrary, that no matter what he will not deny the truth of a land of light and warmth despite the enchantments of a wicked serpent.

Again, I don't really see it as an evangelical tool, but to say it apostate because the characters are a type of Christ is crossing the line. The Bible references types all the time (think Hebrews expounding on Christ and Melchizedek [sp?], was the author "blaspheming" by doing so?). Lewis has reached a world of unbelievers with the gospel and planted seeds that bear fruit for Christ in his writings, most of the time never even quoting scripture in a word for word sense. Much the same way a preacher expounds on the Word, he did the same (using different tools).

2005/12/7 10:15Profile

Re:

I got in trouble on another forum like SI a few years ago because I dared to question C.S. Lewis' personal beliefs. That forum was becoming increasingly concerned about being "politically correct" ... SI is more concerned about truth. (Praise God!)

I think before everyone gets all excited about Narnia, people should really spend some time really studying C.S. Lewis' beliefs. He was more Roman Catholic than anything else... and even HE claimed that the Narnia series was NOT an allagory of Christ. C.S. Lewis was impressed with his friend Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, and THAT was the inspiration for Narnia. Not the Bible.

I'm not saying that people shouldnt see Narnia, or even Lord of the Rings, for that matter. But Christians need to realize that neither of these stories should be attributed to the Word of God for their inspiration. But the "Christian" merchants want you to believe that... so they can sell you their Narnia coffee mugs, pencils, book marks, etc etc.

I just got the latest catalogue for a big national Christian bookstore chain in the mail... and I saw 3 pages of Narnia "junk". Let the merchandizing begin!!

Money changers in the temple...

Krispy

2005/12/7 11:50

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy