SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Corrupted King James?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Try these URLS

[url=http://www.bible-researcher.com/nkjv.html]NKJV - New King James Version[/url]
[url=http://www.chrlitworld.com/BookSGP/MKJVExplain.htm]MKJV - Modern King James Version[/url]

The NKJV is the work of a committee, the MKJV is the work of one man. The MKJV tries for a more 'literal equivalence' than the NKJV.

[u]This is my usual warning.[/u] Although Michael Marlowe's Bible pages are a wonderful resource he is a man of strong convictions and one of them is that the Byzantine Textform is inferior. This results in his rejection of the passages such as John 8 and the woman taken in adultery. I have argued these with him at some length in the past but he remains of the same conviction.

2005/11/29 18:37Profile
Graftedbranc

Re:

Quote:
Does anyone know of any modern translations that are based on the Textus Receptus? My experience has been that there are none.

I believe the New King James Version is still based primarily on the Textus Receptus.

Graftedbranch

2005/11/29 20:00Profile
Graftedbranc

Re:

Quote:
So, there's really no way to know which texts are more original?

The fact is all the manuscripts agree 98%. And most of the discrepancies are in the realm of typos and spelling.

All decent translations give us the revealtion of the crucified and resurrected Christ. If a phrase is omitted here, it is also included there.

God has preseverd His Word and His Truth in all the manuscritpts and any decent translation gives us the Word of God.

No essential doctrine is based on one verse of scritpure but on the whole testimony of the Word of God. If we are open to the Lord, genuinly seeking Him and in contact with Him in our spirit. We will find the food we need in any good translation.

However that is not to say that some are not better than others. We should seek the best and compare and study.

Graftedbranch

2005/11/29 20:07Profile
Billy7

Re:

Thanks Graftedbranc. I had forgotten about the NKJV.

2005/11/29 21:45Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Maurice Robinson, who is an evangelical 'Textual Criticism' expert saysFor over four-fifths of the New Testament, the Greek text is considered 100% certain, regardless of which texttype might be favored by any critic.[6] This undisputed bulk of the text reflects a common pre-existing archetype (the autograph), which has universal critical acceptance. In the remaining one-fifth of the Greek New Testament, the Byzantine/Majority Textform represents the pattern of readings found in the Greek manuscripts predominating during the 1000-year Byzantine era. The NKJV is based on the same family of Greek manuscripts known as the 'Byzantine Textform'. The Textus Receptus is an 'edited' version of this family of texts and is the edited Greek text behind the KJV and the NKJV.

Some are uncomfortable with the NKJV because of the Hebrew text behind its Old Testament. Krispy would tell you more. I have not studied Old Testament textual criticism, so I will not say more.

2005/11/30 2:22Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Quote:
Try these URLS

NKJV - New King James Version
MKJV - Modern King James Version

The NKJV is the work of a committee, the MKJV is the work of one man. The MKJV tries for a more 'literal equivalence' than the NKJV.

This is my usual warning. Although Michael Marlowe's Bible pages are a wonderful resource he is a man of strong convictions and one of them is that the Byzantine Textform is inferior. This results in his rejection of the passages such as John 8 and the woman taken in adultery. I have argued these with him at some length in the past but he remains of the same conviction.

Thanks! :-)
I will look into those links at home.
What role did Michael Marlowe play then in the MKJV?

2005/11/30 4:51Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
What role did Michael Marlowe play then in the MKJV?

None. Michael Marlowe is a bible-researcher and his site is a collection of information relating to the Bible and its different versions. The MKJV was the work of Jay Green.

2005/11/30 5:50Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Ok, its clear to me now! :-)

2005/11/30 10:19Profile
Graftedbranc

Re:

Quote:
The NKJV is based on the same family of Greek manuscripts known as the 'Byzantine Textform'. The Textus Receptus is an 'edited' version of this family of texts and is the edited Greek text behind the KJV and the NKJV.

Amen. But if you also include the infamous "Alexandrian text" which is primarily the 'Vatacanus B text, the agreement is still 98%.

Graftedbranch

2005/11/30 18:10Profile
nobothhand

Re:

The number of times 15 Major words differ from the King James Bible

o = Omits
a = Adds
* = Word is Completely Removed

Christ
NIV - o 25
NASV - o 34
NKJV - o 1
RSV - o 32
NRSV - o 87

Lord
NIV - o 352
NASV - o 438
NKJV - o 66
RSV - o 36
NRSV - o 91
Jesus
NIV - a 292
NASV - o 64
NKJV - o 2
RSV - o 53
NRSV - a 16

God
NIV - o 468
NASV - o 87
NKJV - o 51
RSV - o 111
NRSV - o 138

Godhead
NIV - o 3 *
NASV - o 3 *
NKJV - o 1
RSV - o 3 *
NRSV - o 3 *

Lucifer
NIV - o 1 *
NASV - o 1 *
NKJV - 0
RSV - o 1 *
NRSV - o 1 *

devil(s)
NIV - o 80
NASV - o 82
NKJV - o 81
RSV - o 82
NRSV - o 80

hell
NIV - o 40
NASV - o 41
NKJV - o 22
RSV - o 41
NRSV - o 41

There is much more...

I think that the KJV is the most reliable.

Jesus is God -nobothhand-

2005/12/2 16:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy