Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Few Questions for Street Preachers

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sir_Edward

Michigan

A Few Questions for Street Preachers

1. Why do you do it? (I know that is obvious but I need specifics here because someone recently told me that street preachers have alterior motives -- I want to prove them wrong)
2. What got you started?
3. Who Inspires You the most beside Christ in Preaching?
4. Who do you consider to be the best street preacher ever?
5. What are some of the expereinces in this that have touched you deeply and what are some that have been hostile?

Blessings.

2005/11/10 14:25Profile
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

Re: A Few Questions for Street Preachers

Quote:
1. Why do you do it? (I know that is obvious but I need specifics here because someone recently told me that street preachers have alterior motives -- I want to prove them wrong)
2. What got you started?
5. What are some of the expereinces in this that have touched you deeply and what are some that have been hostile?

1: People need to hear the gospel whether they go to church or not, and it kills the flesh.
2: We were open airing one day and someone asked me to give my testimony, well that went right out the window, when i started yelling that Jesus knows what everyones thinking and will judge them all :-(
3: Ray Comfort / Todd Friel
4: Peter (day of Pentecost) 3000 people from about 5 minutes of preaching!
5: I've not seen anyone saved yet but ive had some really good conversations with people, the worst experience so far was when a guy came right up to me an pointed his finger and said 'God doesn't send people to Hell!!' everybody in the street stopped, thinking he was gonna hit me! Praise God, the confrontational gospel thats how to get a crowd! Revival or Riot!

mat

2005/11/10 14:50Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

1. People are going to Hell and I want them to turn from sin unto the living God.

2. The Holy Spirit worked on me for awhile and I started doing one-to-one and then moved to open-air.

3. Ray Comfort has had a huge impact on me. He is the one that God used to open my eyes that repentance has to be preached, and that the lost has to be reached.

4. John the Baptist. out side of the Bible - George Whitefield.

5. You can read my thread here - [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6995&forum=44&39]https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6995&forum=44&39[/url]

2005/11/10 15:10Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

Quote:
2. What got you started?

1. Because Jesus told us to preach the Gospel to every creature. People get saved!
2.I heard a quote from Charles Spurgeon that said "The first thing that a young man should do when he moves into a town and settles in is to open air preach." I had hit a wall in my life and walk. Completely disatasified with Churchianity and hype. So I stepped out in fatih.
3. Ray Comfort/Leonard Ravenhill/Noah/Jeremiah/Spurgeon/William Booth/Paul/Peter/Whitefield/Wesley
4.Jesus
5. I have a real good friend that was saved in an open air session that I preached. She is wonderfully converted and has amazing fruits of repentance and marks of conversion and that makes me want to go on. I have had horrible experiences in open air preaching. You feel like a wretch one you get kicked out. You feel like a criminal, and it feels as you should hang your head in shame but, why? You are doing the right thing! So that is bad. But the worse is when Christians try to rebuke you for preaching. I hate that!

2005/11/10 15:21Profile
elijahfire

1. I do it because God commands his disciples to do it.(mark 16:15)Everyone needs to be preaching, either one on one or to many(open air)there is no excuse not to.
2. about 2 years ago a friend @ BRSM wanted to know if I would go with him to Pensacola beach and check out the evangelism team and I said sure. When I arrived there were two guys switching off preaching to a huge crowd on the boardwalk. I've never seen or heard anything like that before and I grew up in church needless to say I was hooked and have been doing it ever sense.
3. Definitely John the Baptist just because of the annionting he had, also he was Jesus' favorite preacher!(matt 11:11)
4.besides Jesus I would say either Edwards or Finney.
5. I find that most of my opposition is from so called other Christians. They always say things like "your doing it wrong" and "you are just turning people off", mainly modern gospel approaches i.e. love, happiness, God has a plan your life etc. One time I was witnessing a catholic and became so irate and angry I really thought he was going to swing on me after I told him that Mary was not diety. but by then end of our conversation he was helping me inroduce myself to witness to others, it was hilarious! I have had alot of interaction and great coversation with many people and even prayed with a few (not leading to salvation). you have to be determined to open air preach in your heart and have a burden for the lost.

2005/11/10 15:31Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
But the worse is when Christians try to rebuke you for preaching. I hate that!

Amen to that. When "Christians" try to stop me from preaching ask them " why are you helping people die?" They will have no idea what you are talking about. Then inform them that they are helping people die because they are stopping the Gospel from being preached. They are sure not promoting the live-saving Gospel. That will sometimes put a guilt trip on them and they will stop, if they have any compassion at all.

2005/11/10 15:34Profile
dohzman

from the heart

Why do you do it?

As I've read the Word of God I personally have felt a sense of conviction about going into the highways and byways (so to speak), so I went out of obedience.

What got you started?

I felt as if I myself would be eternally lost if I didn't respond in obedience to the burden He placed upon me. So I started with fear and trembling.

Who Inspires You the most beside Christ in Preaching?

David Wilkerson

Who do you consider to be the best street preacher ever?

George Witfield in his preaching to the coal miners.

What are some of the expereinces in this that have touched you deeply and what are some that have been hostile?

I love to see peoples lives helped and changed. I have no greater joy than that. The knowledge that there are people who are ministering for Jesus to this day makes it all worth while.
I've been physically attacked, had people try to run us over in cars coming up on the sidewalks, falsely accused, blasted in the local newspaper and the list goes on, however in the midst of it all I've seen and experienced God in a way that very few have or will. And thoughs are treasures in my heart that I'll never lose. I know everyone else goes out of a concern for others , but for me the streets was and is a matter of obedience to Jesus Christ. In what I say and do I seek to bring a smile to His face and hear a "well done good and faithful servant" , no other motive really. Hope that's enough for ya. I kept it brief for ya :-)

2005/11/10 15:46Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Quote:

Because God called me to do it. He showed me doing it in a dream one night, and then caused my heart to grow increasinly burdened to do it, until I simply could not imagine doing anything else.

Some street preachers do it out of wrong motives. I believe some do it out of a sense of self-righteousness, and get a kick out damning everybody else to hell because they are going to heaven. But those that God has called do it out of a deep sense of burden for the lost.

Quote:
2. What got you started?

Ultimately what probably pushed me over the edge was hearing an Andrew Strom sermon, I believe it was called "Thunder in Nashville."

Quote:

Probably Leonard Ravenhill.

Quote:

Hard to say. I would have loved to hear George Whitefield, John Wesley, and Leonard Ravenhill preach on the streets. George Whitefield perhaps was the king of street preaching, and seems to have had the most success. Though, I absolutely would have loved to hear Ravenhill.

Quote:

I suppose you mean while street preaching? The one that has probably touched me the most was a time where I went to UNC Charlotte to preach open air, and came across Gary Birdsong, whom I consider a false evangelist. He had already gathered quite the crowd when I came, and there was a heckler there giving him a hard time. Eventually he said during his raddom nonsense something along the lines that if anybody has cancer, they are cursed of God. This made the one heckler quite angry, as his girlfriend was just diagnosed with cancer, and the heckler approached him from behind shouting at Gary ready to punch him out. Then the Holy Spirit spoke to me to go right then and pray for this guy. I quickly approached him and put my hand on his shoulder and told him that I wanted to pray for him and his girlfriend right there, and this instantly turned his eyes into tears. When I was done praying, I opened my eyes, and several other believers who saw what was happening had surrounded us as well and were praying for Chaz and his girlfriend. One woman in particular was just bawling for them, though they never met eachother. This was probably the most moving experience I had street preaching.

As far as hostility goes, I've had nothing absolutely outstanding happen. However, I've dealt several times with security and police officers, some friendly, some not so friendly. I've also been cussed out and threatened bodily harm. Several times I knew if I didn't pause my preaching for a few minutes, then I would have indeed been beaten up. But my philosophy is, if somebody doesn't want to hear it, and are already showing mild signs of persecution, then I simply won't speak to them and will simply wait until they leave the area.

2005/11/10 16:02Profile
Bomar

Re:

Quote:
1. Why do you do it?

The Lord told me to - not generally through the Word, but He told me to do it by the Spirit.

Quote:
2. What got you started?

Besides the Lord's calling, I think it was probably Ray Comfort's ministry that helped the most.

Quote:

I can't answer that.

Quote:

I would say Wesley, because he not only preached with power, but he wasnt' "just a preacher" - he built the body up, led people into the fullness of Christ, and made a structure that could contain the fruit of God's harvest - as opposed to just preaching and leaving.

Quote:

Every time you preach you get both :-)

Seriously, I have had a heckler cussing and being vulgar come under deep conviction, take a gospel tract, and come back saying he just gave his life to the Lord!

2005/11/10 17:40Profile
Sir_Edward

Michigan

Re:

All,
I am among giants. I am glad to hear that their are still real evangelists out there; it gives me great hope. Pray for me as I am looking to be a true prophet/pastor who is unafraid to preach anything to God's people, the lukewarm church and the lost.

I don't know who said this but one person said that God was getting up a 4am because of the Holy Spirit to pray. I have been getting up at 5am and praying as well for the same reason, weeping over the state of the church becasue of the burden on my heart. I would appreciate your prayers because I am doing a major shift in my ministry looking for a real revival of God in this country and using the Bible alone as my ministry manual.

Blessings.

2005/11/11 16:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy