Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Altar Calls

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
markitats

Springdale AR

Altar Calls

This is a paper i wrote recently for my New Testament class. Enjoy!

A General Study of Altar Calls

When the overwhelming, pervasive thought of a religious society is firmly established in certain traditions, it becomes an arduous endeavor to be the one presenting the opposing side of them. The traditions I will be writing is whether altar calls are really Biblical or not, where altar calls originated from, what are some types of altar calls that are used today, and how are formulated prayers such as the “sinner’s prayer” used. I invite you to sit back, grab some refreshments and enjoy the journey. I do ask you to rid yourself of all the your presuppositions you may have about the subjects before continuing. My prayer is that God will speak truth through my paper, and if it offends, so be it because sometimes traditions have to die in a hard way.

According to Dictionary.com, the definition of an altar call is “a specified time at the end of a Protestant service when worshipers may come forward to make or renew a profession of faith. Also called invitation.” Let us not forget that some churches also use altar calls for inviting people to become members of that particular church body.

The altar call is strange in that it is still relatively a new practice among Christian believers. Carey Hardy was cited as writing, “While there is debate over the exact origins of this practice, most agree that it came into prominence in the late 1830’s with Charles Finney (1792-1875), who popularized it through the mourner’s bench.” For those unfamiliar with the mourner’s bench, it was also called the anxious seat. “The anxious seat referred to those who were “anxious” about the state of their souls” (Green). To help understand why Finney implored this approach, let us look to him for the answer: "Preach to him, and at the moment he thinks he is willing to do anything … bring him to the test; call on him to do one thing, to make one step that shall identify him with the people of God. If you say to him, ‘There is the anxious seat, come out and avow your determination to be on the Lord’s side,’ and if he is not willing to do a small thing as that, then he is not willing to do anything for Christ" (Zaspel).

Though “Finney never led them in a prayer, but he and a few others would spend a great deal of time praying with and giving specific instruction to each one. Until finally, everyone was sent home to pray and continue seeking God until ‘they had broken through and expressed hope in Christ,’ as Finney would say” (Green). While it may be hard for some to believe, the altar call according to church history is only about 170 years old at most.

Twenty-one years after the inaugural altar call was implemented to the general public, Charles Huddon Spurgeon, also nicknamed in church history as “the prince of preachers,” began to preach. He was given his nickname because of his burden for souls, the countless number of souls ushered in during his ministry, his preaching methods, and his influence on the Baptist scene in England in the late 1800’s. With these astounding achievements under his belt, he still did not adhere to the same practice of altar calls that Finney had stuck to. “In his preaching to sinners he refused to direct anyone to an “altar” or to the front of any building. He directed them only to Christ. ‘Go to your God at once, even where you are now!’ he would insist. ‘Cast yourself on Christ, now, at once, ere you stir an inch’” (Zaspel)!

At the same time Spurgeon was rejecting the practice of altar calls, the early Salvation Army who was led by William Booth carried what started with Finney a bit further. Both William and his wife Catherine established the Salvation Army in July of 1865 in London, England. They even renamed the “anxious seat” to “the mercy seat”.
They, like Finney, would pray for the people individually. Keith Green got to meet some older Christians who had experienced the Salvation Army’s approach to altar calls. They told him, “Sometimes people would stay there all night, and on a few occasions, even a few days, weeping and confessing their sins with broken hearts. There were always some who would stay right there to instruct them further, encouraging them to make a clean sweep of sin from their lives” (Green).

That does not sound like the way the church does it today? Billy Graham, who has popularized the altar as of late, does altar calls like this:
"I’m going to ask you to come forward. Up there-down there- I want you to come. You come right now-quickly. If you are here with friends or relatives, they will wait for you. Don’t let distance keep you from Christ. It’s a long way, but Christ went all the way to the cross because he loved you. Certainly you can come there few steps and give your life to Him" (Hardy).
Now, lets look at some other modern practices of altar calls that are still used today. An altar call may but is not limited to the following techniques:
 Slow music being played in the background while the preacher talks to the crowd.
 The preacher tells everyone to bow their heads, close their eyes and for the saints to begin interceding for the poor lost souls in the crowd.
 If no one has responded after a few minutes, the preacher will usually tell some sad story about how a preacher once gave an altar call and some boys did not respond. And because of them not responding, they died that night and went to Hell.
 If that does not work, they give a general altar call.
 But for those who feel the conviction of the Holy Spirit tugging at their hearts, they are asked to slip their hands up while being reminded that no one is looking around.
 The people who raised their hands are now asked if they really meant business that they should leave their seats and come to the front of the church while they play “Just as I am” softly in the background.
 As they go to the front of the church, assigned counselors who are to help them pray the sinner’s prayer, meet them.
 You are now asked to go to a separate room with a counselor, and they may ask you some questions about why you came to the front and try to help answer any questions you may have.

So how effective is the present day altar call system? A popular evangelist, named Ray Comfort, wrote some alarming statistics concerning this topic in his book Hell’s best kept Secret: “The September 1977 issue of Eternity Magazine reported the results of an evangelistic crusade that involved 178 local churches. Out of 4,106 decisions, only 3 percent joined a local church. That series of meetings created 3,981 backsliders” (Comfort 11)! Only 125 people actually joined a local body out of the 4,106 decisions made. “More up-to-date statistics are hard to come by because they are not published with much enthusiasm” (Comfort 11).

I would like to now comment on the “sinner’s prayer” because you cannot have an altar call without it. The sinner’s prayer, like the altar call, has it “musts” if you will. They are as follows:
 Acknowledging all the sins in their lives
 Believing in Christ’s death and resurrection
 Invite Him in your life to live forever
 Will live for His service alone for the rest of their lives

These statements, like all the others, are good by certain measures. Acknowledging sin is by no means the same as repenting and saying they believe in Christ’s death, resurrection, and life without real evidence is a type of faith that the Bible never says to have. The Bible says to “love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul, and mind” (Mt. 22:37). That does not sound like the common term “blind faith” that we use today because if your mind does not believe it, your heart will not believe it either or vice versa.
Since I have surmised, in short, the history of altar calls and the common practices of the modern church concerning them, I must now present a study, according to Carey Hardy’s research, that I will be arguing against point-by-point:

1. Scriptural Argument
 Christ always called people publicly. This is confirmed by texts such as, “Follow Me,” or “Whosoever shall confess me before men…” (Hardy)

While some of those arguments may seem to be valid, for someone to base their opinions upon just the texts mentioned above, they would fail to be honest with the text in whole. Even though Jesus did call people to himself, there are no unambiguous examples given by Him or the apostles that validates altar calls. The greatest instance of this truth is found on the day of Pentecost. After Peter’s message, no altar call was given and still 3,000 souls were added to the kingdom. Peter never had to ask people to come forward and accept Christ. In fact, they implored Peter on they could be saved from right where they were standing (Acts 2).

2. Psychological Argument
 Responding publicly to a gospel appeal “settles it and seals it.” The implied meaning seems to be that a step made publicly is more likely to be decisive and irrevocable. There is something about coming forward and standing on front of the congregation that helps the individual be confident that he has made the decision that God honors (Hardy).

The argument of “settling and sealing” the deal is a demonstration of lack of trust in the Holy Spirit and His convicting power. The Holy Spirit is the one that convicts, not us (1Th 1:5). For instance, the Apostle Paul said, “I did not come with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God” (1Co 2:1). Paul was basically saying that he did not have to use persuasion in order to get people to turn to Christ. He knew God through the Holy Spirit would give the increase (1Co 3:7).

The other part of that point I want to deal with is on how they seem to be advocating that going down to the altar means your automatically saved. How can we blame the person who went to the altar because they equate going down to the altar with salvation? Then right after they have prayed the “sinner’s prayer”, they are then reassured they are born again.

Lets say after the altar call experience is over and they live like they never went to the altar in the first place, they still remember that the people told them they were saved. So, they hold on to believing they were really born again when they possibly were not. Also, the early Puritans were great models on how to be cautions when calling someone a believer before the Spirit Of God had a chance to minister to them that they were really “sons of God” (Ga 4:6).

3. Practical Argument
 The altar call provides an easy, organized way to present new converts to the congregation, and to allow non-members to join. If there is not altar call, the argument goes, “How can people publicly identify with Christ and with a local body” (Hardy)?

You do not need an altar in order for new believers to “identify with Christ and with a local body” (Hardy). The early church in the book of Acts had no altars, yet their numbers increased daily (Ac 16:5). I will admit God is a God of organization (1Co 14:40), but God never promised anything would be easy. God did promise though that we would go through hard times and to not be flabbergasted by them (1Pe 4:12).

4. Demonstration Argument
 To both the saved and unsaved in the congregation, people responding during an altar call is a visual demonstration and proof of the Word of God. This can be convicting to those who are not saved, and encouraging to those who are (Hardy).

It seems that the church is really concerned with numbers. Every denomination is guilty of it. They always want to brag on who is pulling the best numbers so that they will be the church that is envied by all. Do not get me wrong; numbers will convey many important things about how that specific denomination is doing as far as salvations and evangelism. Unfortunately, it will not explain the number that end up backsliding after their altar call experience. If we were to judge our dear savior Jesus by the same standard we judge our churches today, we would realize that Jesus failed miserably. He did not write any books, did not have good numbers as far as salvations were concerned, and the core men that followed him scattered at any sign of trouble.

In my conclusion, I must say that I do not agree with the way altar calls are performed today, but I do agree with the basic principles of it. It started out as something innocent and fruitful, but the church has misrepresented it ever since. We are in a society that lives on fast results. Take for example fast food restaurants, microwaves, computers, and frozen dinners just to name a few. If used right, they are not harmful, but misuse them and you create a lazy society. The same is true for the church today. If we continue to use altar calls in the same manner as we do today then we will become lazy Christians who are only out for numbers, and the masses will continue to backslide in possibly greater numbers then ever before.

The only solution I can come up with is performing altar calls the way it used to be done. Let them pray as long as it takes without formulated prayers; seek God alone in order for them to know if they are truly saved. Furthermore, the church needs to start fully trusting the Holy Spirit in His work of moving the hearts of humanity, and finally, our accomplishments or lack thereof, should not be what motives us; the glory of God should be our motivating factor and nothing else.

2005/10/29 16:24Profile
Sir_Edward

Michigan

Re: Altar Calls

I must say that this is a bold paper and a good one. I personally rejected the whole notion of altar calls about a year ago. It smacks to much of results oriented ministry rather than genuine 'born again' doctrine. Spurgeon as I recall would leave his door open on Tuesday's for people who felt they needed salvation and would pray for them then. Altar calls were simply not a part of his ministry, but thousands upon thousands would later claim to be 'born again' because of his ministry. That confuses many these days because we are not conscious of the Holy Spirit's work in all this and have decided salesmanship is a better way to go.

My problem with altar calls is that it ritualizes the salvation process. Come to the altar, repeat after me, sign a card and your saved. Come now a person can do these things and be just as unregenerate as they were before they came, but now they think they are saved, but they in reality not. Unless the holy Spirit gives the birth -- there is no new birth at all.

Blessings.

2005/10/29 19:21Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi there, Markitats...!

I agree that the modern "altar call" has, like many other acts in modern Christianity, turned into a [i]religious ritual[/i] that sometimes takes the place of a real experience with Christ.

Keith Green spoke about this in his message, "[i]What's Wrong with the Gospel, Part II - The Added Parts[/i]". It can be found on [i]SermonIndex[/i] in audio form, or at [i]Last Days Ministries[/i] in written form.

Here are the links:

[b]Audio sermon[/b]:
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=18

[b]Written message[/b]:
http://www.lastdaysministries.org/articles/whatswrongwiththegospel2.html

:-)

2005/10/29 19:59Profile
roadsign

Re: idolatry

I whole-heartedly agree with all the aspects of the essay. So often what is at one time authentic ends up becoming an idol. That could be said for a lot of the rituals in church - even church itself.

I also believe that if the Spirit calls someone to go forward, they can go, without any suggestion from the front. I have preached or shared, and afterwards people came up (forward) to me and we prayed together - all unplanned, unforced. (I would never be allowed to give an altar call because I don't have the position)

Having said all that, I also know that God can authentically use altar calls. I will never forget several years ago when during the week the Lord instructed me to go forward the coming Sunday. He even revealed to me what the closing song would be. It would be the simple song: I have decided to follow Jesus. No turning back, the cross before me the world behind me(especially the security of my church. I had already made that commitment with God. At church I just solidified it. I'm not sure why God asked me to do that. I just obeyed. I obeyed the voice of God - and that, for me was a big change from my past - when I relied on the voice of man.
Diane

2005/10/29 21:04Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Great paper and very honest in my view. Altar calls are overused in my view and must be done only at the direction of the Holy Spirit. They are oftentimes simply an emotional response to a message that an actual decision to follow Christ.

I like the quote by Finney and believe that most of the work has to be done in the prayer closet with fear and trembling. That's been my own personal experience, although I have seen God use altar calls at times.

In our church, we rarely have an altar call only as the Holy Spirit directs. I'm not sure what most churches do but I know if we have an altar call, it will only be because that's what the Spirit is asking for.

2005/10/29 21:23Profile
markitats

Springdale AR

Re:

Thanks for all the comments. Blessings!
P.S. I got a perfect score from my teacher who is a Pentecostal theologian. He did not agree totally with the paper, but he did say it was very thought provoking.

2005/10/30 13:11Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

An interesting underlying question about altar calls is that of the theology of conversion. Does conversion come about only in a crisis moment? Or is it a process? Or a little bit of both?

Another question is historical. How did conversion take place before the revivalists came along? How would that affect our understanding of the altar call?

2005/11/2 11:23Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I believe the issue goes even deeper which is why I wrote this article entitled [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=14601]"Receiving Christ"[/url].

2005/11/2 13:41Profile
tacklebox

Roanoke Rapids, NC

Re:

Given the fact that the "altar call" is so young in the history of the church (no more than 200 years old as far as I know), I think it should be questioned and analyzed.

I recently read why D.L. Moody started doing altar calls every time he preached. He failed to do an altar call (or any kind of invitation) the night before the great Chicago fire, and it troubled Moody's mind greatly that there may have been some unregenerate there the night that were snatched into hell eternally.

I don't want this to turn into the centuries-old debate about sovreignty of God vs. responsibility of man, but I think Moody should have displayed a little more faith in the convicting power of the Spirit. I do empathize with Moody, though, in that it troubles me greatly that 140,000 people die a day - and the majority of them go to hell.

I personally think that God can use an altar call, but altar calls have been so overdone and I seriously doubt the majority of them were prompted by the leading of the Spirit. That's why so many who "walk the aisle" are still dead and fruitless spiritually a short time after their "decision." The sermon wasn't lead by the Spirit, and the altar call certainly wasn't - yet the preacher somehow expects God to work through them!

If true Holy Spirit revival were to fall upon people, there would be more calling for mercy at the altar instead of "merciful" altar calls!

2005/11/2 13:49Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

There was one last altar call, it was the call of the Father, that His Son Hang on a Cross for the sin of the world. He did shed His blood on this altar earth, His blood shed in the whipping court of Herod, His blood shed all along the path to the cross and His blood, every drop emptied at the bottom of the Cross. That was the last altar call. No person has a right to make an altar call ever again, it is the same as putting Christ back on the Cross. Impossible.

In Christ: Our heart and life being the only altar we can be a part of in giving up our life so He can become our life. Gal 2:20 "It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me" Amen. Phillip

2005/11/6 2:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy