SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Evan Roberts Quote
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Born Again By What Means

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Re:

Sister Dorcas

Sis, it is a wonderful experience to find the jewels, the treasures that lie waiting to be understood in the OT...

The reading of the OT will never be the same.

God Bless
In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/28 12:51Profile
rookie

Re:

Continuing from Wesley's sermon...

3. We may learn from hence, secondly, that a deep conviction of our demerit, after we are accepted (which in one sense may be termed guilt, ) is absolutely necessary, in order to our seeing the true value of the atoning blood; in order to our feeling that we need this as much, after we are justified as ever we did before. Without this conviction, we cannot but account the blood of the covenant as a common thing, something of which we have not now any great need, seeing all our past sins are blotted out. Yea, but if both our hearts and lives are thus unclean, there is a kind of guilt which we are contracting every moment, and which, of consequence, would every moment expose us to fresh condemnation, but that He ever lives above, For us to intercede, His all-atoning love, His precious blood, to plead.

It is this repentance, and the faith intimately connected with it, which are expressed in those strong lines, I sin in every breath I draw, Nor do Thy will, nor keep Thy law On earth, as angels do above: But still the fountain open stands, Washes my feet, my heart, my hands, Till I am perfected in love.

As one reads and contemplates the words of Wesley, also consider the ordinance of communion which Christ has established for His church.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/30 12:16Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Quote:

"As one reads and contemplates the words of Wesley, also consider the ordinance of communion which Christ has established for His church."

May I be so bold as to change the word ordinance to: also consider the love Commandment of our communion with Christ which is His Body the Church.

Matthew 26:27-29 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

Mt 26:29
Will not drink henceforth--drink it new with you; he means to say, "The time for my drinking with you the literal fruit of the vine is over; the kingdom of God is about to be established"-- this was by his propitiatory death, resurrection, assension, and the outpouring of his Spirit--"henceforth I will drink with you the spiritual new wine of the gospel"--new because it belongs to a new dispensation--"in my Father's kingdom." This was fulfilled to the apostles in a special sense, in the extraordinary measure of Christ's presence and Spirit bestowed upon them at Pentecost as his earthly instruments in establishing his kingdom. Compare Lu 22:29-30. It is fulfilled to all believers in a same sense, in the communion they have with Christ in His earthly church; and it shall have a perfect fulfilment to all His true friends in his heavenly kingdom.

Ephesians 3:16-19 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Remember Me in Love all the days of our lives and beyond all eternity. Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, (((who loved me,))) and (((gave himself for me.)))

Me, In Christ: Phillip and all me's said, Amen.

2006/3/30 19:25Profile
rookie

Re:

Brother Phillip wrote:

Quote:
May I be so bold as to change the word ordinance to: also consider the love Commandment of our communion with Christ which is His Body the Church.

You may be bold Brother Phillip. It is a wonderful thing that God works in us so that we might ourselves experience..

John 4:13 Jesus answered and said to her, “Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”

I used the idea of ordinance to imply that Jesus has established this memorial of His death as a practice that He has commanded us to do. There are reasons for the "practice" of this meal...

Paul writes of this ongoing practice which brings to light why we do this...

1Cor. 11:23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; 24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”

1Cor. 11:26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes.

1Cor. 11:27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. 30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.

What is Paul teaching here? Why, according to Paul, do we enter into this practice?

In Christ
Jeff

2006/4/3 15:17Profile
rookie

Re:

Paul writes about partaking of communion...

1Cor. 11:27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. 30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep.

In the second letter to the Corinthians Paul again speaks of the need for the Corinthians to "examine" themselves...

2Cor. 13:5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.

What does this mean?

In Christ
Jeff

2006/4/6 11:25Profile
rookie

Re:

1 Corinthians 11:

29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.

What is Paul teaching here? What is the underlying precept for why we are to continually commemorate His death?

In Christ
Jeff

2006/4/7 10:03Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

I think, now it is me thinking, that communion is an awesome, dignified event. And it should be considered an event. As the Lords death was an event so should this meal. Isn't a cool picture to see the bread as one solid piece of bread prior to breaking it, it is distributed to all present in smaller pieces, yet still apart of that original lump of bread. Christ is that bread, the bread from Heaven. As He is us so we are in Him, as we are many people but in one body. Is Paul alluding to this fact of the bread when he talks about many members but one body?
Then look at the wine. Where does it come from but a grape vine. Grapes are pulled off, mashed together and poured in a cup (simply put) and it becomes one drink. So the blood of Christ is one drink to all. I can't put it into any greater words than that. I am sure there are more explanation than that and maybe some high-fallutin', theological words that could wrap it up better, but from a simple untrained person, in which the Spirit of Christ dwells, that is what I get out of it.
Can there be any truth to what transubstantiation stands for? AS the catholics believe? Jesus says, "This is my body...this is my blood." Jesus is not saying, this is a symbol of my blood or a symbol of my body, but rather, "this is!" It seems to me the catholics have it half right and the christians have it half right. Any more thoughts out there?

2006/4/7 12:44Profile
rookie

Re:

Brother Ruach34 wrote:

Quote:
Is Paul alluding to this fact of the bread when he talks about many members but one body?
Then look at the wine. Where does it come from but a grape vine. Grapes are pulled off, mashed together and poured in a cup (simply put) and it becomes one drink. So the blood of Christ is one drink to all.

This is a very clear description of what will happen in the body of Christ if the individual members do as Paul exhorts them to do.

Communion with Christ will bring unity to the body. But what is it that prevents this unity?

Quote:
Jesus says, "This is my body...this is my blood." Jesus is not saying, this is a symbol of my blood or a symbol of my body, but rather, "this is!" It seems to me the catholics have it half right and the christians have it half right. Any more thoughts out there?

I think of it just the opposite, the catholics have it half wrong and the protestants have it half wrong. For if we would enter into communion with our Lord, we would not have to worry about doctrines. We would find much joy in fellowship with our Lord and one another. Unity in Christ is a result of knowing Him.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/4/8 11:50Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

I guess it depends on how you look at your cup, either half empty or half full. They are both wrong, you cannot receive half of Christ in you. When Christ is born again in the believer, we get all of Him. When we are baptized into the Holy Spirit our Comforter Teacher, we get all of Him. We have God the Father in us also. Jhn 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

John 14:31 But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

Where are we to Go? John 14:28-29 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.

To the Cross and receive the fullness of Christ in us the Hope of Glory. Not Half, but ALL.

IN Christ: Phillip

2006/4/8 19:44Profile

Re: Transubstantiation- NOT

Quote:

Ruach34 wrote:
Can there be any truth to what transubstantiation stands for? AS the catholics believe? Jesus says, "This is my body...this is my blood." Jesus is not saying, this is a symbol of my blood or a symbol of my body, but rather, "this is!" It seems to me the catholics have it half right and the christians have it half right. Any more thoughts out there?

Stever's response:

I think that Catholics have it all wrong, and the Christian Church has it all right.

The Catholics actually believe that this Sacrament of Mass actually brings Christ to the Mass because they believe the wine ACTUALLY turns into Christ’s Blood, and the Bread ACTUALLY turns into His flesh in their OWN bodies when they take Communion. This is not biblical and amounts to nothing more than mysticism.

New Advent on-line Catholic Encyclopedia
"(Gr. eucharistia, thanksgiving).
The name given to the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar in its twofold aspect of sacrament and Sacrifice of Mass, and in which Jesus Christ is truly present under the bread and wine. Other titles are used, such as "Lord's Supper" (Coena Domini), "Table of the Lord" (Mensa Domini), the "Lord's Body" (Corpus Domini), and the "Holy of Holies" (Sanctissimum), to which may be added the following expressions, and somewhat altered from their primitive meaning: "Agape" (Love-Feast), "Eulogia" (Blessing), "Breaking of Bread", "Synaxis" (Assembly), etc.; but the ancient title "Eucharistia" appearing in writers as early as Ignatius, Justin, and Irenæus, has taken precedence in the technical terminology of the Church and her theologians. The expression "Blessed Sacrament of the Altar", introduced by Augustine, is at the present day almost entirely restricted to catechetical and popular treatises. This extensive nomenclature, describing the great mystery from such different points of view, is in itself sufficient proof of the central position the Eucharist has occupied from the earliest ages, both in the Divine worship and services of the Church and in the life of faith and devotion which animates her members.

The Catholic Church honors the Eucharist as one of her most exalted mysteries, since for sublimity and incomprehensibility it yields in nothing to the allied mysteries of the Trinity and Incarnation. These three mysteries constitute a wonderful triad, which causes the essential characteristic of Christianity, as a religion of mysteries far transcending the capabilities of reason, to shine forth in all its brilliance and splendor, and elevates Catholicism, the most faithful guardian and keeper of our Christian heritage, far above all pagan and non-Christian religions. “

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Most Christians classify the Eucharist as a sacrament, but many Protestant traditions avoid the term sacrament, preferring ordinance. In these traditions, the ceremony is seen not as a specific channel of divine grace but as an expression of faith and obedience of the Christian community.

The Bible tells us specifically:
[Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: DO THIS IN REMEMBRANCE OF ME]
[DO THIS, as oft as ye drink it, in REMEMBRANCE OF ME]

1 Cor 11:23-34
“…………….That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
24. And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do IN REMEMBRANCE OF ME.
25. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, IN REMEMBRANCE OF ME.
26. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
27. Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
30. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
31. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
32. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.
33. Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.
34. And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

No matter what food we eat, or thoughts that we think, or Eucharists or Masses that we sit through, we will not be like Him until the rapture, when we will see Him face to face, and we will be like Him. Now, we look through a glass darkly.

Until then, we continue in our bodies of flesh and blood. God’s word tells us that flesh and blood cannot inherit eternal life. We need a new, glorified resurrected body of flesh and bone, to inherit the kingdom of God---“Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.”
[1 Cor 15:50].

Right after this reference to flesh and blood, we see the first reference to the rapture :

“51. Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
52. In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
55. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
56. The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
57. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
1 Cor 15:51-57

We also learn in the same Book (1 Cor 13:9-13) that at the Rapture, we will become like him:
9. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

We also learn in the Bible that Christ’s resurrected body is a glorified body of flesh and bone:

Luke 24:39-43 “39. Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
40. And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
41. And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
42. And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
43. And he took it, and did eat before them.”

Our belief in Christ and in His work on the Cross, and in His Resurrection from the dead is what saves us. As saved Christians the Holy
Spirit empowers us to do his will, specifically:

Acts 1:8
"8. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."

We are commanded to witness to the lost ABOUT THE GOOD NEWS- THE GOSPEL--Christ is risen from the dead, and is alive and will return again and we (all believers) will all receive him, and be his own. That because of His one time sacrifice, all of our sin-past, present and future has been paid for by the Blood of Jesus Christ.

In Leviticus 17:11 we find:

11. For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

Romans 3:23-25
"23. For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24. Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25. Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;"

Romans 5:8-9
" 8. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
9. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him."

1 Cor 10:14-17
"14. Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.
15. I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say.
16. The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?
17. For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread."

Ephesians 1:7
"7. In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;"

Colossians 1:14
" 14. In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:"

Colossians 1:20
20. And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

Hebrews 9:18
18. Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood.

Hebrews 9:22
22. And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Hebrews 10:19
19. Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,

Hebrews 12:24
24. And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Hebrews 13:
12. Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.
13. Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.
14. For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come.
15. By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.
16. But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.

1 John 1:7
7. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

God bless,

Stever

[b]Transubstantiation? NOT[/b]

2006/4/8 21:23

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy