SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Born Again By What Means

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re: Christian - what is it

Quote:
If you are not born again, are you really even a Christian?

There are countless who have been in a courtship with the Lord for years, but they never do get marrried.

We lump a lot of people in the catagory, "Christian", not only people but things too, ex: music, buildigs, organizations, t-shirts, ball-caps.

Words tend to gain their definition by how they are used (or misused) It means very litte to me that someone calls themselves a Christian. That is such a broad term. Frankly all who are under the vast universal umbrella if "Christianity" is a Christian. (but that doesn't mean that many of them entered by the narrow gate.

There is a time that we just have to abandon commonly used terms, and learn how to recognize and define the real thing.

Diane

2006/3/8 16:27Profile
rookie

Re:

Romans 5:

10 For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, [b]we shall be saved by His life."[/b]

Do you see the two aspects, first reconciled by His death, secondly, and much more, are we saved by His life.

Most teach that there is no seperation of these two aspects.

The love of the truth will save us from deception. We must learn to love what the word says above all other desires.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/8 16:28Profile
roadsign

Re: salvation

Quote:
having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life."

In my mind this says: We have been restored to God, and also we have been saved from death, the effects of sin (condemnation), the bent to sin. There is also a future salvation - we are saved from eternal condemnation.

I think most people only think of the last kind of salvation - from hell.

So "salvation" is merely an eternal life insurance policy - quite possibly void at that.
Diane

2006/3/8 16:36Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
How many are lost, because men teach that we are already made perfect by what Christ did on the cross. Yet these same people never seem to experience the "Life" that John and Paul write about. They never learn to love the truth.

Might I add a thought: They also never learn to persevere, or see the need.

John said: “For everyone born of God overcomes the world.” 1 Jn. 5:4 He did not say that some of those who are born again will be overcomers. Instead, he said, "everyone" who is born of God will overcome the world. That means that no worldly Christians will be in heaven. This would harmonize with the teachings of Jesus who clearly taught that you cannot be in two places at once. You cannot have your affections in this world and remain in him at the same time.

On the final day, only overcomers will enter heaven. It would seem that it is what’s at the end of the journey that counts, not what was at the beginning.

"To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life which is in the paradise of God." Rev. 2:7

Diane

2006/3/8 16:39Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

Thanks, Diane.

I totally agree that the term "Christian" has lost its original meaning. We are known by our fruit.

I believe the coming persecution will definitely weed out those who are true believers.

2006/3/8 16:49Profile
rookie

Re:

Quote:
If you are not born again, are you really even a Christian?

John 8:31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

John 8:34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

Look closely to what Jesus is teaching here. First, He promises that IF you abide in My word, then you shall know the truth, and then it is the truth that set one free. Free from what?

Then look closely to Jesus' teaching about sin. First whoever commits sin is a slave to sin. That is all of us. Then Jesus says that those who remain a slave [b]do not abide[/b] in the [b]house forever.[/b]

Then Jesus says, "but a son abides forever. Therefore IF the Son makes you free, you will be free forever.

Romans 8 teaches the same thing.

Rom. 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

Here Paul teaches the same thing about sin and death, and the means by which we are freed from the body of death. The law of the Spirit.

"For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God." The choice to reject or submit to the Spirit is freely given. All live in the House for a time, yet only those who perservere, these take on the image of Christ.

What does it mean to live in the "house."

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/8 17:11Profile
rookie

Re:

Heb. 3:1 Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our confession, Christ Jesus, 2 who was faithful to Him who appointed Him, as Moses also was faithful in all His house. 3 For this One has been counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as He who built the house has more honor than the house. 4 For every house is built by someone, but He who built all things is God. 5 And Moses indeed was faithful in all His house as a servant, for a testimony of those things which would be spoken afterward, 6 but Christ as a Son over His own house, whose house we are if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/8 17:16Profile
rookie

Re:

I have given examples in Scripture where in the sower of the seed, the first three groups fall short and do not find Christ.

Now what does Scripture say of those who become fruitful?

Luke 8:

15 But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience.

Look to these words,"having heard the word with a noble and good heart..." What does this say of the condition of the heart? Is it harden because of sin? Or is it like the heart of David?

Psalm 51

16 For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it;
You do not delight in burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,
A broken and a contrite heart—
These, O God, You will not despise.

We know that all men are born dead. Their heart is wicked. Yet here we hear of the noble heart and good heart, the broken and contrite heart.

Heb. 4:11 Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience. 12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Is anyone listening to what the word of God is showing them about their own heart?

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/13 12:42Profile
rookie

Re:

A broken and contrite heart...what picture does Scripture paint of those who are Jesus' disciples....

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
For they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
For they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
For they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
For they shall see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
For they shall be called sons of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. 12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

1 John 1:

6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

Do you see yourself in this picture?

In Christ
jeff

2006/3/21 15:29Profile
rookie

Re:

Those who learn of this blessedness learn through the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Those who learn of this blessedness become poor in spirit, mourn,grow in meekness and mercy. Those who learn of this blessedness will have learned it because they have hungered and thrist for righteousness.

These aspects of learning do not come without sacrifice, dilligence, and patience. These aspects of realizing the nature of the one who is called a son of God comes to those who continue on and perservere. God is faithful to fill those who do so.

Our Lord the Lord of the Sabbath has commanded this of us...

Matt. 26:26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.”

Matt. 26:27 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.”

What do we learn as we observe this ordinance?

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/23 12:48Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy