SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Churches using 'Chronicles of Narnia' as preaching tool

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re: Let God use what he wants

We can discuss this till the cows come home, but we'll never come up with a clean-cut solution. God is the one who changes hearts and draws them to himself and he is the best one who knows what will get the message across. Christ never promoted any particular method. He used all kinds of imagery - wind, seeds, swords, doors, bread, water, etc etc. He, like Paul on Mars Hill simply took what the people (person) COULD understand and then made a spiritual parallel.

We cannot underestimate God's ability to use anything he wishes - even if it is a book with swear words that are offensive to some Christians.

I have a friend who got saved watching the disputed movie, "Jesus Christ Superstar". She was totally outside the influence of evangelicals at that time - and so ended up with a far purer faith than those who were infected by legalistic Christians - BECAUSE GOD TRANSFORMED HER MIRACULOUSLY

Churches always seem to get on band wagons - eager to grab onto gimmics. So I'm not really impressed that they are doing that again. To me it's like cheating. Instead of letting Christ work within them to transform them into living letters radiating Christ through their lives, they'd rather use a method - that in the long run merely supports the movie industry.
It's good to use imagery in our "evangelism" but if we are not working in sinq with the Spriit, we won't get results. God's timing is critical.

But, having said that, we mustn't underestimate the ways of God - who may indeed use the movie. He can do that just as well (or better) outside the influence of the church.
Diane

2005/10/25 7:57Profile
dohzman

Re:

Just a thought, Tolken(sp?) Lord of the Rings seris was required reading in the public schools when I was a boy, along time ago :-) . And If you listen closely you know that people like Ravenhill, Tozer etc... have read C S Lewis who btw is the author of the Narnia Chronicles. I believe personally that the Lord is using these media's because the church isn't getting the job done :-(

If this meat is offensive to a certain type of christian though , when in his/her presence I will refrain from eating it in order not to injure the one with a weaker conscience :-) I supose that would be a good precept to apply and stay with.

2005/10/25 8:11Profile
coops

Re: LOTR & CS Lewis

Jesus used parables, does this differ THAT much to make the main theme or message unbiblical? Ive never actually came across someone who thought C.S Lewis' writings didn't line up with scripture, but thats your conviction then stand with it.

dohzman, that was well said, lets not get caught up on something that will make others stumble.

btw, Ray Comfort's site has a tract about Lion witch and Wardrobe [url=http://www.livingwaters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=252]here[/url]

:-)

2005/10/25 8:42Profile
dohzman

Re:

That was a good tract. I'm going to send for some to hand out. :-)

2005/10/25 8:59Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: the curate's egg

Have you ever the the reference to something being 'like the curate's egg'? The phrase is stilll sometimes used in the UK. It comes from a cartoon in a humourous magazine called 'Punch' and must be well over a hundred years old.

The curate, a trainee priest, has been invited to breakfast at the Bishop's palace. They sit next to each other at a long table eating thier boiled eggs. The cartoon shows malodorous fumes rising from the curate's egg which threaten to overpower him but he is conscious of the honour at being at breakfast with the bishop.

The bishop notes the curates reluctance to start his egg and asks “I’m afraid you’ve got a bad egg, Mr Jones”, to which the curate replies, in a desperate attempt not to give offence: “Oh, no, my Lord, I assure you that parts of it are excellent!”.

Forgive the long explanation but I wanted to explain why I regard Lewis's writings "as something of a curate's egg". :-)

ps you can see the actual cartoon [url=http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://adventbirmingham.org/adventarticles/images/curatesegg.jpg&imgrefurl=http://adventbirmingham.org/articles.asp%3FID%3D2063&h=191&w=325&sz=22&tbnid=rlgCeMwx8bgJ:&tbnh=66&tbnw=114&hl=en&start=24&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522curate%2527s%2Begg%2522%26start%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN]here,[/url]

2005/10/25 14:06Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

Hey there is a new tract at Living Water Publications that is made directly for the release of the movie "Chronicles of Narnia" I happen to work for Living Waters Publications... Here is what the tract looks like and a short description.

Peace. God bless!

2005/10/25 14:23Profile
roadsign

Stumble?

Quote:
lets not get caught up on something that will make others stumble.

Just curious: Who would be prone to stumble, and how?

So, if we leave the movie outside the church, would that avoid the potential problem?
Diane

2005/10/25 14:34Profile
roadsign

Re: The tract

An observation about the tract. It starts out by using an episode in the movie as an allegory to explain our need for a Redeemer. (Aslan) That makes sense.

Then it goes on an uses another word picture: being "born again", but it doesn't explaining what that really means.

Jesus used that phrase "born again" once (actually meaning born FROM ABOVE) and when he did it was in context with the conversation with Nicodemus.
In this case, it seems like these words in a way that would mean nothing to to those unfamiliar with Jesus full conversation with Nicodemus.

Then there is a prayer for someone to copy. I am troubled by that because I've been through that - said that prayer etc etc, and meant it, and many years later discovered that I was just following the words of man, trusting in man, and had yet to be born FROM ABOVE - in God's timing.

Jesus said, the way is narrow and few find it.

Again, I say, the Holy Spirit does the work. The Bible gives no set prayers for people to copy, so we shouldn't either. If someone really wants something, do they have to be told how to ask it? Doesn't God read the real intent of the heart?

Having said that, I don't doubt that God may use it in some way.
Diane

2005/10/25 14:47Profile
dohzman

Re: tracts

I think sometimes we forget that the tract is really only meant to stop them so that we can actually do the witnessing. Statiscally if 1/2 of 1 % of all tracts are actually read , it's a sucess. The fact is that according to most marketing surveys I've read on any form of hand out or direct mail the read to distribution ratio is 1 to 1000. Its still by our personal efforts (preaching)that God choses to save lost mankind.

2005/10/25 15:20Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

Quote:
I think sometimes we forget that the tract is really only meant to stop them so that we can actually do the witnessing. Statiscally if 1/2 of 1 % of all tracts are actually read , it's a sucess. The fact is that according to most marketing surveys I've read on any form of hand out or direct mail the read to distribution ratio is 1 to 1000. Its still by our personal efforts (preaching)that God choses to save lost mankind.

I can see what you guys are talking about. But if you want to here something really encouraging about those who pass out tracts and use a simple witness check this story out...

Also Living Waters has unique tracts. I believe that Living Waters alone ahs boosted that precentage up. We constantly have people that call us about our tracts and their content. I have personally witnessed hundreds reading our tracts. I think that we need to seize this opportunity since the movie is out and pass out as many as we can.

2005/10/25 17:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy