SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I am not special.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re: I am not special.

Hi PTywama3,

What does your capabilities have to do if you are faithful to God, following Him and such?
What does how other people see you, thinking your unique or not in their opinion... Does that have any to do with you and God?

No matter how good you are, how many talents you have or how special various people will 'brand you'.. its worth nothing if God sees this different.

2005/9/15 15:52Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

GaryE wrote:

Gal 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

Jesus did redeem us from the curse of the law... but He hasn't yet redeemed us from the curse of the fall.. ie. Child birth pain and Thorns and thistles

2005/9/15 16:19Profile

Re: I am not special

Hi PreachParsly

Quote:
Jesus did redeem us from the curse of the law... but He hasn't yet redeemed us from the curse of the fall.. ie. Child birth pain and Thorns and thistles

I don't quite know how to refute this, but I don't agree we are in the same position as Adam was. Something has changed.

Spitfire said
Quote:
Another thing which I have come to believe is true, is this: God loves everyone, but God does have favorites. [b]He will bless whom he will bless, and he will curse whom he will curse[/b].

Do you believe this?

2005/9/15 16:48

Re:

Quote:
by PTywama3
It is interesting that you should choose to view the rest of the people of this world as special, but discount yourself. I don't really have the time to dig in and do the research right now, but I have been told many a time by people that a negative pride is still pride.

I don't know about "research", nor your sources for your first post ... it all sounded rather secular to me to begin with, but I figured, "Aw, why not, it's late, this thread looks like fun, why not post."

The verse that I quoted in my first post was the one that came to mind ... 'to think of others as better than yourself.'

So what would the research, say about that mind set ?

To me, the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God, and maybe I just got thrown by the source or resources being used here or something.

I thought, to declare that "I'm not special, and no one else is neither" sounded rather cold, in that, The Creator created us out of LOVE, the same way children are desired by a couple.

Aw, I'll just let someone else figure it out,,, I think this one's over my head :-D.

:-?

2005/9/15 17:46
Gery

Re: Am I special?

Dear Brethren,

Am I special because I am nothing special or is it because I really am special?

"But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for possession, so that you might speak of the praises of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
you who then were not a people, but now the people of God, those not pitied then, but now pitied" (1 Peter 2:10)

In His love,
Gery

2005/9/15 17:49Profile
Spitfire

Re: Do you believe this?

Quote:
Do you believe this?

Yes.
Perhaps I should clarify myself (if that's possible).

I do not believe that anyone desires God apart from God drawing them unto himself. My life is living proof. Chances are, anyone who is on this website and searching for answers is here because God is drawing them. Otherwise, they would have no desire to know God. To me, if God isn't drawing a person, that, in itself, is a curse. I believe in divine election and predestination and believing this has completely transformed my walk with God. I'll tell you why.

I was supposedly 'saved' when I was 10 years old. I can't remember a time in my life when I wasn't conscious of God. I've always had a love for God, but I never really followed Christ. In my early adulthood, I supposedly got the 'baptism in the Holy Spirit'. I still lived very sinfully. Finally, when I was 36 years old, I left my husband for another man. I was so frustrated with trying to be a 'good christian'. I had no power to do right. I hated myself. I really wanted to give God my all, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. My life spiraled down into a huge mess. Finally, slowly, I began to seek God humbly. Over the course of about 4 years, I finally came to God. I'm not sure exactly when I finally surrendered, but I'm sure it has happened now.

Looking back, I see that I could not come to God on my own. He drew me. He loved me before I was ever born. He chose me to be his daughter and He finally brought it to fullness. All those years I tried to come to God with some merit of my own were futile. He had to wear me out. Then, when I was spent, he showed me his great love and I see that he loved me before I was ever born. I saw that, really, I've been coming to Christ since before I was born, not because I had some desirable quality, because I wasn't even born yet, but because God, himself, chose me. Now, I follow him because I love him and I love him because he first loved me. There isn't the struggle anymore. Everyday I get up and I want to follow Christ, because I realize the awesome priviledge it is to be chosen.

Do I feel special? You better believe I do. I feel about as special as Joan of Arc and I can't wait to die for him if that's what's in store for me. I could never have mustered this on my own. God has revealed himself to me in a way that has eternally changed me and I am eternally grateful. Sincerely, Dian.

2005/9/15 18:35Profile

Re: And another thing......

HA ! that subtitle I put on here is from an old comedy, so it's meant to be funny. In the movie, the guy kept coming back in the room, in and out repeatedly, saying that.

Anyhow. I think, after reading Nee, Hudson Taylor, oh my, the list is long on this topic, there's one thing we're gonna HAVE TO face, that if we're out to discuss [b]PRIDE[/b] (gosh, I wanted to put that in red font, but don't know how), that as 'they' said, like Hudson Taylor, at the END of his own incredible life ... that we ALL are guilty and WILL BE because of what is called SELF, until the Lord gets us to our glorified state or we die first.

FLESH = SELF = PRIDE.

So I think, Any discussion on "pride", should be approached with fear and trembling, because it was Satan's fall, and the root of all sin, but boiled down, it is just SELF, and anything that does not originate from GOD and comes from "self", (as in words, thoughts, actions, all of it) is pride, which is "independence from God". Acting, thinking "autonomously".

So if this is the case, that this thread is going at "Pride", then if we're not careful, the whole thing may just be the posting of our own, from the first post to the last and as Hudson Taylor said, something to the affect that "even my greatest prayer, my best sermon, etc. etc. I see the taint of "flesh""

Flesh is self is pride, it is Cain's sin, to act according to our own way or thinking, apart from HIM.

So the greatest reply I could ever give in my lifetime to a post, will still have that piece of Flesh in it, if the likes of Hudson Taylor and many other great old guys have said that of themselves. And Paul in Phil 3.

Whenever I see a topic on Pride, or posters accusing others of Pride, from what I've read of the 'old guys', that is Pride.

Ho-hum. I just feel, it's best to be careful on this, and especially not to use secular sources on such an important (from God's point of view) topic.

With my tinge of flesh here also, till He returns. Phil 3:9-14

Peace.
Annie

2005/9/15 19:05
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

dorcas wrote:

Hi PreachParsly
Quote:

I don't quite know how to refute this, but I don't agree we are in the same position as Adam was. Something has changed.

Refute it? You can't refute it (I hope this doesn't come off rude) unless you can find a woman that has a natural birth and has no pain or the world is rid of thorns and thistles.

You won't be completely redeemed from the curse of the fall untill you get a glorfied body.

What do you mean that we are not in the same position as Adam? In some ways we are (physical death, pain and everything else that was caused by sin).

2005/9/15 19:14Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: I am not special.

As I read your post I notice you use the personal pronoun "I" often. Let me say something, I do not think I am all that special either. In fact when I really stop to think about it, I am not. All the good I have has come directly from the LORD of all Creation. I have contributed noting except dependance on Him, or a helplessness. If you look at me, I am insignificant, short, limited skills, getting old, running out of gas...BUT I have Jesus and that makes me special in His eyes and that is all I need. And then I follow that with obedience.

Seems to me you are focusing too much on yourself. Look around and see if you can find someone who is in worse shape then you and go see what you can do to help them. And make this a lifestyle. Try it and then come back and tell us what happened!

ginnyrose

2005/9/15 23:30Profile

Re:

Ginnyrose, you sure do speak well for someone in 'our' shape. :-) I really related to the self-description you gave and glad I can get old (I am or feel old) and run out of gas around folks like you. We all are "the gathering of the insignificant", and I like how you placed it all.
Thank you !

2005/9/15 23:54

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy