SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Which Version which is not english other than greek or hebrew version is the most accuate!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Which Version which is not english other than greek or hebrew version is the most accuate!

I have been looking up versions in different languages what is the most accurate version in these diffirent languages!!!
Such as Chinese and Manderin,
Turkish, Burmise, Welsh , French, German, Korean,
Japanese and also the other different languages.
Have any bibles ever been done in Native American?

In chinese you have a few different versions.
I am just interested as we deal Globally in this culture with alot of students from different races and some of them there first language is not english!!

2005/8/13 7:05Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Which Version which is not english other than greek or hebrew version is the most

I think you would have to be a expert both in the original languages and the destination languages to answer this question. However, if it is 'Greek textual families' that you are interested in there is a crude method that I have adopted for many years when working with Christians from other nations. I have done a lot of work through interpretation and it is important to chat over with a new interpreter the passages that you intend to use.

Because I know the general directions in which other textual families swing away from the Byzantine it is sometimes important to know which 'Greek families' the "Turkish, Burmise, Welsh , French, German, Korean," translation has used.

Usually there is not time to do a thorough examination so I have learned to check 3 verses to give myself an idea of the text behind the translation and also the philosophy of the translators as regards 'literal' or 'dynamic' equivalence. (we can explain these terms if anyone needs to know.)

Here they are:
1. “Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed [u]the church of God[/u], which he hath purchased with his own blood.” (Acts 20:28, KJV)

“Take heed unto yourselves, and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit hath made you bishops, to feed [u]the church of the Lord[/u] which he purchased with his own blood.” (Acts 20:28, ASV)In the Byzantine textform this is one of the strongest testimonies to the deity of Christ in the Bible. It speaks of the 'church of God' and immediately goes on to speak of 'his own blood'. According to the KJV then ,the blood of Christ is the blood of God. The ASV/RV/ and most of their children will translate this as 'the church of the Lord'

If I find that my interpreter's Bible has 'of the Lord' here I know his version is heavily slanted towards the 'wrong' Greek texts, so I can bear this in mind if I am referring to verses where it might make a difference.

2. “And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: [u]God was manifest in the flesh[/u], justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.” (1Tim. 3:16, KJV)

“And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness; [u]He who was manifested in the flesh[/u], Justified in the spirit, Seen of angels, Preached among the nations, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory.”
(1Tim. 3:16, ASV)

Here again you will see the KJV based on the Byzantine textform has 'God' and it gives another powerful testimony to the deity of Christ, but the ASV/RV has the pronoun 'He' which weakens the testimony to Christ's deity. If I find that my interpreter's Bible has 'He who' or something similar. I know that his translation is still slanted towards the 'wrong' Greek texts (I'm going to get into trouble calling these the 'wrong' texts but I am trying to simplify... believe it or not!)

If it has 'the Lord' in Acts 20:28 and 'He' in 1 Tim 3:16, in other words both, I know my interpreter's bible translation is going to be different to mine in some key points. I will need to bear this in mind as I preach.

3. This is a little different...
“Knowing this, that [u]our old man[/u] is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.”
(Rom. 6:6, KJV)

“knowing this, that [u]our old man[/u] was crucified with him, that the body of sin might be done away, that so we should no longer be in bondage to sin;”
(Rom. 6:6, ASV)

(ESV) We know that [u]our old self[/u] was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.

(MSG) Could it be any clearer? [u]Our old way[/u] of life was nailed to the Cross with Christ, a decisive end to that sin-miserable life--no longer at sin's every beck and call! What we believe is this:

(NASB) knowing this, that [u]our old self[/u] was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; If my translator's version has anything other than 'our old man' in this verse I know I have another problem on my hands, the philosophy of the translator is one where he thinks I want to know what Paul 'meant'. I don't; I want to know what he 'said'. This means that I will need to watch for the translators doctrinal views.

So I can't tell you which mother tongue translation is best in any of these languages, but these verses will give you strong clues as to what kind of translation it is.

2005/8/13 8:40Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Which Version which is not english other than greek or hebrew version is the most

You must do the research yourself, or else your stand really isn't a stand, it's just an echo. But remember that English is the universal language now.

Here are some that I would check up on with the website:

Spanish: Cipriano de Valera 1865
http://www.biblebelievers.com/mcardle_which-spanish.html

Chinese: Chinese Union Version
http://www.bibletexts.com/qa/qa050.htm

There may be websites that have a list. But it is unlikely that you will find a person who has personally studied all these languages.

As a KJV reader, if I was interested in finding out, I would ask someone who was bilingual what made them choose their version, it they said that is what everyone uses, I would ask if they would consider doing a comparison. If they didn't want to hear about studying and comparing versions, I wouldn't probably go farther with that subject in the conversation.

I don't shun people because of the version they choose, but they should know why they chose it.

2005/8/13 11:44Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_speakers]Languages Statistics [/url]

Quote:
English is the universal language

now I would like to see the source for this statement.

[url=http://global-reach.biz/globstats/refs.php3]Global internet Statistics languages[/url]
[url=http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats7.htm]Languages statistics[/url]

America has more than one language aswell

Quote:

The United States does not have an official language at federal level; nevertheless, English is the first and/or only language of the overwhelming majority of the population and serves as the de facto official language: English is the language used for legislation, regulations, executive orders, treaties, federal court rulings, and all other official pronouncements.

Twenty-seven individual states have adopted English as their official language, and three of those—Hawaii, Louisiana, and New Mexico—have also adopted a second official language (Hawaiian, French and Spanish, respectively). Spanish follows English as the second-most spoken language in the United States, primarily due to the influence of recent Latin American immigrants and the fact that almost a fifth of its continental territory was originally part of Mexico, and it is a primary spoken language in some areas of the Southwest.

The primary signed language is American Sign Language (ASL).

As of 2004, the United States was the home of approximately 336 languages (spoken or signed), of which 176 are indigenous to U.S. territory.

[/url][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States#Language]Source[/url]

The americans have all the languages of the indians that went to america aswell!!!

Even in Canada there is a small population in Quebec who speak french!!
Quote:
Canada's official languages are English and French. As of 2005, its official population estimate is about 32.2 million

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANADA]Wikipedia

It is arrogance to say that english is the worldwide language!!
I will do more research on this subject!! I am just interested as I help run a global cafe in canterbury!! The use a variation of bibles in all different languages from korean to chinese!! I was thinking of looking into this subject more deeply if god allows because I would need a deep thorough understanding of each language or someone with a deep understanding!! I know people who speak korean, chinese and turkish.

I found the Chines Union Version and the Portugese Version and you can see them on www.crosswalk.com
I was just wondering if anyone is bilingual on the web or trilingual!!
I am looking into this in more detail and will post an update soon this is part one of two!!!

If we are clever enough to tell that the KJV is correct in english how about all the other languages are we willing to try and learn atleast abit of another language so that we can witness to people in different languages!!

Jesus was not English, He was Jewish and probably would have spoken Hebrew!!

2005/8/13 15:08Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Jesus was not English, He was Jewish and probably would have spoken Hebrew!!

Coming from 'Galilee of the Gentiles' he would have been bi-lingual and there are some arguments for his having preached in Greek rather than Aramaic.

2005/8/13 16:26Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

Quote:
Ac 21:40 - Show ContextSo when he had given him permission, Paul stood on the stairs and motioned with his hand to the people. And when there was a great silence, he spoke to them in the Hebrew language, saying,

Quote:
Ac 22:2 - Show ContextAnd when they heard that he spoke to them in the Hebrew language, they kept all the more silent. Then he said:

Lu 23:38 - Show ContextAnd an inscription also was written over Him in letters of Greek, Latin, and Hebrew: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Joh 5:2 - Show ContextNow there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew, Bethesda, having five porches.

Joh 19:13 - Show ContextWhen Pilate therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus out and sat down in the judgment seat in a place that is called The Pavement, but in Hebrew, Gabbatha.

Joh 19:17 - Show ContextAnd He, bearing His cross, went out to a place called the Place of a Skull, which is called in Hebrew, Golgotha,

Joh 19:20 - Show ContextThen many of the Jews read this title, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city; and it was written in Hebrew, Greek, and Latin.

It is interesting to notice that when Paul spoke he spoke to them in hebrew rather than in Greek or Aremaic but there is a whole debeit over what language Jesus spoke in personally i think he spoke in Hebrew because it was not likely for him to speak in any other language!!
I am just interested in your opinion!!! I know Jesus would have spoken Hebrew!! it is something they are forcing you to learn in Israel!!

Dom

Thankyou for the last post it was interesting!!

2005/8/14 17:33Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
i think he spoke in Hebrew because it was not likely for him to speak in any other language!!

whyever not?

2005/8/15 7:08Profile
Strick

Never mind. Got on wrong subject by accident. NOT English. Okay.

2005/8/15 8:15Profile
Manfred

Continental Europe

Re: Which Version which is not english other than greek or hebrew version is the most accuate!

In the French language the Segond version of 1910 is the most used. It has been revised quite a few times since then, the most used revisions being the 1978 Nouvelle Version Segond Révisée, commonly called "Bible à la Colombe", since it has a dove as an emblem; and the 1979 Nouvelle Edition de Genève.

Then the modern versions are becoming very popular, but they are very inaccurate.

The most accurate French translation of the Bible from the original languages is the one translated in 1885 by John Nelson Darby. He was the main person behind this work but was helped by English and French scholars. It is commonly called "La Bible Darby". His English translation is very good, but I have been told that his French work is superior; from what I have seen myself it is the most accurate translation I know.

Ron, I would like to thank you here for pointing out these three passages helping us to check things out. I have looked up these verses in my French Bible, (the Darby of course), and the translation reads: "the church of God" in Acts 20:28, "God was manifest in the flesh" in 1 Tim. 3:16, and "our old man" in Rom. 6:6.

Dominic, to answer your question, you will need to have foreigners to respond. And they'll have to be those who are careful about what version they read, which is not always the case. Most French speaking people would have said that the Segond or any of its revisions is the best, which it is not the fact.

Manfred

2005/8/15 8:57Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

[url=http://www.fcbh.org]Bible CD in different languages[/url]
This is a company that sells the bible in different languages as there are loads I will have to go through every single version
Crosswalk also have a list of different bibles on there site!!
Thankyou Ron and Manfred for your added knowledge!!
I would like to know alot more!!
Dom

2005/8/19 15:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy