SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Which version of the Bible is closest to exact translation?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
I just can't understand it very well, maybe that's because I am an old Country boy and lack the big city know how.

C'mon plow boy... you think I'm some kind of slicker? LOL.

Have you seen the Dukes of Hazzard movie yet? (I actually have no desire to see it... just makin' a joke)

This is Roscoooooe P. Coltrain... you got your ears on, little fat buddy?

I just baffled all our friends from outside the US... :-)

Krispy

2005/8/11 11:16
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I feel the King James Bible, it preserves God's words because it was translated using "formal equivalence." All other Bibles were translated using "dynamic equivalence," in which the translator is free to change words as long as he conveys the "idea." :-P

Duke of Hazzard yea I would like to see that, should will take me back to my roots. :-P

2005/8/11 11:25Profile
AgapeLove81

Albany, GA

Re:

I love reading your posts Krispy. I hope one day to be as out spoken and out going as you. I'm glad to see that you are comfortable in your own skin.

2005/8/11 11:26Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

AgapeLove81 wrote:
I love reading your posts Krispy. I hope one day to be as out spoken and out going as you. I'm glad to see that you are comfortable in your own skin.

I think Krispy has a great purpose here, I know exacally were he is coming from most of the time on his posts, I think it's time a lot of the timid Christians rise up and let this world know were not going to take the get God out of our schools,
remove the Ten Commandments, stuff any longer, we can make a difference, but we can't if we just lay back with a timid I don't want to stir up anything attitude. In fact, the Bible, in Hebrews 11, for instance, celebrates men and women of faith such as Daniel, Moses, Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego and others, who all committed civil disobedience – rebellion against unjust rule. Some of the Apostles themselves refused to submit to Caesar and paid with their lives.

2005/8/11 11:41Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
This is Roscoooooe P. Coltrain... you got your ears on, little fat buddy?

I just baffled all our friends from outside the US...

Not some of us really old guys who watched it every Saturday over here!

2005/8/11 12:28Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I feel the King James Bible, it preserves God's words because it was translated using "formal equivalence." All other Bibles were translated using "dynamic equivalence," in which the translator is free to change words as long as he conveys the "idea."

No so, MrBillPro :-)
The RV, ASV, and the NASB are all [u]more[/u] 'formal equivalence' that the KJV. But as Krispy has pointed out the Greek text behind the RV, ASV and the NASB is inferior, in the view of some of us, to that behind the KJV.

2005/8/11 12:32Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: A great Bible resource...

Hi...!

A verse-by-verse comparison would take forever in this thread, with one group showing "flaws" in non-KJV translations, and another group pointing out to the "flaws" in the KJV. And a third group sits quietly on the side trying to learn something.

As stated before, I suggest that people really study the history behind of all translations. Contrary to much of modern Christian teaching, it is [u]healthy[/u] to question the validity of anything pertaining to the faith. As a teen and a new believer, I wrestled with quite a few "traditions of faith" that were handed down through the ages. Because I sought so intently to learn the truth of such matters, I was able to stand firm on the validity of what I learned.

But many modern authoritarian pastors would say that such studying is spiritually unhealthy. I have been told that I am "under the umbrella" of their authority, and as long as I "unconditionally accepted" what was taught, I was protected by God. A pastor told me that I should "accept and not question the pastor's vision." After explaining that my beliefs differed somewhat from some of the beliefs that were taught, I was scolded for "lacking faith." I explained that I felt that such unconditional acceptance of doctrine or tradition is "blind faith" and can be quite dangerous. The pastor instructed me that, if I could not accept everything that was being taught without question, I should leave the church. Because of how involved I was in the Church, when the pastor saw how serious I was about the matter, he backtracked and asked me to just not "publicly disagree" with him.

The same thing can be said about all such matters -- including Bible translations. It is important that people make all such searches with complete and honest sincerity (and with an open mind -- realizing that you might actually change some of your accepted beliefs). The purpose of all such quests is to increase in the knowledge of God (rather than to find ammunition to support your particular beliefs).

There are [i]KJV-only[/i] people who view those that accept other translations as [i]lost[/i], [i]confused[/i], or [i]unlearned[/i]. And there are those that view the [i]KJV-only[/i] crowd as [i]pompous[/i], [i]prideful[/i], [i]think-they-know-it-alls[/i]. Like mentioned in an earlier post, there are people that believe all other versions are the result of “an evil conspiracy to destroy the faith.” Of course, all such perceptions are usually wrong.

I suggest that all believers research the matter with wholehearted sincerity. Research (and even question) the origin of the translation, the intent of the translation, and even the comments made by Biblical pundits along the way. Read the prefaces written by the translators, the instructions given to the translators, and the history behind the text in which the versions are translated. And if you really want to get technical, contact the Bible societies in which the modern versions are published. While the answers will undoubtedly be slanted, they might offer a personal sense of understanding – especially if you are able to speak with one or more of the translators. And it might be quite important to realize that most books written on the subject are quite prejudiced one way or the other. They can still be referenced, but always with a “grain of salt.”

Finally, a verse by verse comparison can be helpful. There is a great website that you may already be aware of: http://www.biblegateway.com This website offers the entire Bible in many versions (including some foreign language versions).

:-)

2005/8/11 12:55Profile
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

Re:

I'll start with a nice safe statement, I am NOT a Bible scholar, now my credentials have been done with i'd like to address a school of thought that always seems to crop up in these kind of discussions, it goes something like this,

Quote:
God can speak through any medium He decides to use!

Whereas this is true i think someone said something about how He could use a comic book if He wanted, this i completely agree with in fact He has spoke to me through a song coming out the radio in work before now, (it was one of those everything seems to stop and the world melts away moments)

I want to ask if God can speak through any medium how do we know when He is?

we need some kind of basis of comparison, a standard against which everything else is compared, this is what the Bible is. In fact the Bible itself says over 3,000 times that it is the very Word of God, often in the NT when the author quotes from the OT they preface it with, 'God said' and that the terms 'Word of God' and 'scripture' were interchangeable, of course the most explicit example of this is 2 Tim 3:16 [b]All scripture is given by inspiration of God[/b], and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

thus if God reveals anything to anyone that is not from the Holy Spirit quickening the Word, it will line up with what God has already revealed about Himself/us/the world etc.. in His Word.

Surely there is only one Word of God and anything that differs from it by one jot or title is merely the idea conveyed by the Word of God

2005/8/11 13:11Profile

Re:

Quote:
A verse-by-verse comparison would take forever in this thread, with one group showing "flaws" in non-KJV translations, and another group pointing out to the "flaws" in the KJV. And a third group sits quietly on the side trying to learn something.

Quick homework assignment... everyone do a verse comparison of the following verse without using the footnotes in your Bible...

Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. (KJV)

Krispy

2005/8/11 13:25
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

philologos wrote:
No so, MrBillPro :-)
The RV, ASV, and the NASB are all [u]more[/u] 'formal equivalence' that the KJV. But as Krispy has pointed out the Greek text behind the RV, ASV and the NASB is inferior, in the view of some of us, to that behind the KJV.

Well I still disagree with you but thats alright as long as we agree to disagree and move on. :-?

2005/8/11 14:00Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy