SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Obese Christians?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I don't know why but I suddenly have a craving for donuts! :-P

Maybe you had a desire to be a cop at some point. :-P

2005/8/7 12:50Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

Savedgrace wrote:

"Of course it is not a sin to be obese."

I repectfully and firmly disagree!!! When you know that being obese because of overeating and lack of exercise is more harmful to your body then smoking cigarettes, how can you say it is not a sin. Do you think smoking is also not a sin? Doing deliberate harm to your body day after day is absolutely a sin. It is a lifestyle of sin, just like homosexuality, drug addiction, alcohol addiction, food addiction or any other addiction. Obviously not acceptable for one who claims to a child of God

Like I said in my original post - I'm not talking about some who has a few pounds to lose, I'm talking about some one who is obese (30+ pounds over weight) because they can't stop over eating and refuse to exercise and refuse to take care of their body which is the temple of the Holy Ghost. If you deliberately keep the temple of the Holy Ghost in miserable and terrible condition - I would have to disagree and firmly state that this is a sin. I believe there will be many who present their temple of the Holy Ghost in a shambles and complete disarray to a Holy and Righteous God on the day of judgment who will be cast into outer darkness while saying “Lord, Lord, Lord”

By the grace of God we have the power to overcome sin! We should ask ourselves - “Have we allowed the grace of God to produce holy living in our lives or have we accepted the grace of God in vain?” If we continue to sin after we have received knowledge of the truth, there is no covering left for these sins and all we have to look forward to is the eternal fires of the pits of hell that consume the enemies of God.

Heb:10:26-27 -
“Dear friends, if we deliberately continue sinning after we have received a full knowledge of the truth, there is no other sacrifice that will cover these sins. There will be nothing to look forward to but the terrible expectation of God's judgment and the raging fire that will consume his enemies”

2005/8/7 13:06Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Christisking, you write:

Quote:
"Of course it is not a sin to be obese."

I repectfully and firmly disagree!!!

I think perhaps you are missing our point here. Lung cancer is not a sin; it may be the consequence of sin, but the condition is not the sin, only the result of it. Aids is not a sin: it may be the consequence of sin, but the condition is not the sin, only the result of it. Similarly, obesity, in itself is not a sin, but it may well be the consequence of a sin.

I have carefully chosen the examples above because not all lung-cancer is the result of mis-stewardship of the body. And not all Aids is the result of sexual misbehaviour. Similarly, not all obesity is the result of gluttony.

2005/8/7 13:32Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi philologos...!

Quote:
"It is not sin to be having a child when you are unmarried. It is a natural consequence of something earlier. The sin was the relationship outside marriage; the pregnancy was the consequence. The shame is human shame, not conviction. God convicts of the sin; men judge the consequences."

I was just telling this to someone a couple of days ago! I have always heard of people saying that an illegitimate child is the consequence of sin. I told them that this concept is wrong -- and perhaps damaging to the child. A child is the result (or consequence) of a biological process that was created by God initiated through sex. A child is always a blessing -- regardless of whether this child was conceived in sin or not. While we should never condone sin (including sexual sin), we should be very caring for both those conceived as a result of sin, and those who have repented thereof.

Thanks for the post.

:-)

2005/8/7 13:35Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re: Obese Christians?

Can we pray for one another, as Christ prayed for us (John 17.) for the word says we are one body and one spirit,not enemies.
christians who should be helping one another.
"Beloved I would that you should love one another even as I love you" my hero Jesus
Father I pray that the body be united and work as in one spirit, that when one part of the body hurt we all hurt. I pray for strength for the weak, I pray for love for the hurting,oil for the wounds, the broken hearted. I pray for the Holy Spirit to move on a heart to speak words of comfort. for brother and sisters to stand together united in one faith, one God, one Spirit. Let us work in a heart of love and Lord give me strength to do they will. Amen

2005/8/7 16:22Profile
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
A friend from Hong Kong once complained to me about the invasion of American fast food in Asia. He told me that for the first time in thousands of years, obesity in China, especially among the youth, is on the rise.

I can totally understand that. We went to China last year and hardly saw any overweight persons. (We were in an area where Western type restaurants were few and far between). I do understand why they stay so thin..........for one, the majority walk or ride bicycles everywhere they go. They ride in taxis very little.

I lost about 5 lbs in 2 weeks while there and I can tell you I was NEVER hungry. Matter of fact, I was stuffed for the most part. While we were there, they(the family were were with) ate alot, but their diet was so very different from ours. They do use alot of oil to cook their meats and vegetables, but they DO NOT eat hardly any sugar/sweets. Big, huge difference from the U.S/Western World, where we feel deprived if we don't have a sweet/dessert at least once a day. They eat fruit for their sweets. :-) good habit to get into........

2005/8/7 16:52Profile
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
not all lung-cancer is the result of mis-stewardship of the body. And not all Aids is the result of sexual misbehaviour. Similarly, not all obesity is the result of gluttony.

Great point to remember...........

2005/8/7 16:54Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
I can totally understand that. We went to China last year and hardly saw any overweight persons. (We were in an area where Western type restaurants were few and far between).

For what it is worth, I can tell you there is a real difference between areas like Hong Kong and many parts of China. The food I have eaten in Hong Kong (Kowloon) is the richest I have ever eaten. There was this one Australian resturaunt there that made this huge hamburger with bacon and two giant eggs laid right on the patties...

Yet most of the places I visited in China appeared closer to third world in terms of urban development. Oh the things I ingested in those resturaunts...I am proud to say I never declined to try a single dish...even the thousand-year old egg. (I think they were making sport of the guai lo.:-o )

You must be right...most of China doesn't have access to our fast foods,... to my dissapointment.(Just kidding)

MC

2005/8/7 17:40Profile
Compton

Re: poverty and health

I came across these stats on the negative effects poverty may have on health......I thought they related to our conversation.

Low-income Asian and Pacific Islander children in California are becoming overweight at an alarming rate -- and will soon catch up to low-income white, african-american and latin-american children in the proportion who are overweight or obese, according to research reported at the 5th Asian American Cancer Control Academy.

The percentage of low-income Asian and Pacific Islander children in California who are overweight more than doubled between 1994 and 2003, from 7 percent to 15 percent.

U.S. Teens More Overweight Than Youth In 14 Other Countries (January 9, 2004) -- U.S. teens are more likely to be overweight than are teens from 14 other industrialized nations, according to survey information collected in 1997 and 1998 by two agencies of the Department of Health ...

Stress Leads Kids To Unhealthy Diets (August 4, 2003) -- Stressed-out 11-year-olds eat more unhealthful food than their less-anxious classmates and consume fewer nutritious meals and snacks.

2005/8/7 17:45Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Obese Christians?

We keep the church building clean and maintained. How much more should we maintain the temple of God?

Remember, though, that many overweight Christians are getting ahold of heaven while we are accusing them of being fat. Have you thought to yourself, 'he ought to lose weight' more times than you have prayed for revival the last week?

2005/8/7 19:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy