SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Universal Priesthood of All Believers

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote: "In the early Church, because it was taught that all believers were priests, when the doctrine of the universal priesthood of believers was put into practice, it was the common experience that in any given assembly, every single believer present may have something to potentially contribute to the service. Every believer present might potentially stand up and say something for an unspecified duration of time. One might prophesy, another might speak in tongues and another interpret, another may stand up and sing, another stand up and teach, another stand up and simply testify, and so forth."

This is the basis of the Religious Society of Friends, established by George Fox in England in 1660. The people are the Tabernacle. And the primary belief is that there is that of God in Every person. We are called to Wait Upon the Lord in our unprogramed meetings for worship and there is no minister or priest to run things.

This leads to some unconventional testimonies as well as profound insights on the Love of God for all people.

Sadly, the Society has broken up into programmed and unprogrammed meetings, with the programmed meetings having ministers and all the elements of conventional protestant worship services. There is little or no time in these services for waiting upon the Lord. Nor is there opportunity for anyone to testify.

Anyone with an interest in learning more should check out http://www.quaker.org/

Bubbaguy

2005/7/27 17:17
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

I don’t think there really was a revival/awakening. No doubt some reformers were truly born from above (the Spirit), but the majority still looked for a worship practise that was locked in place and form

Hard to say, I've not personally read a lot of on the reformers. I know the survey of history I've had on the reformation, there is some concern from historians that perhaps some of what took place was a lot more intellectual than spiritual. The biggest concern voiced by some seems to come from the lack of missionary activity during the reformation. It wasn't usually for another 100-200 years before there seemed to be a revival of missions, beginning with the Moravians.

Quote:

The absence of a pastor only reveals what is already true – people want religion more than they want God.

Indeed. But I think also because it is so ingrained into people that one cannot phathom having a church without a pastor. Even the heathen understand that is how church typically functions, even one's who have never stepped in side a church in their entire life.

Quote:

I suspect that those who truly hunger for God will grow BECAUSE of the Church’s perpetual tendency to quench the Spirit and permit growth. The resistance is like refining fire. It is truly costly to follow Christ. The entire religious system cannot receive it. You can’t put new wine into old wine skins.

I think such has been my personal experience. Such has caused me to further seek out what saith the Scriptures. I was never brought up in the church, and even after I got saved I remained mostly outside of it. I constantly saw that what I was reading in the Scriptuers was not being lived out in the Churches I attended, which caused me to look all the deeper into the Scriptures to see what God would have the Church be.

2005/7/28 18:13Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

why does the church search for new pastors based on college degrees rather than the amount of Holy Spirit within an individual?

My question is why do Churches look to replace pastors as it is? There are many Churches in the book of Acts that had no pastors for quite some time. Why not simply continue being the Church until God should raise up qualified men within the congregation to be pastors?

2005/7/28 18:15Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Good post Ron. I was recently teaching on this very thing a couple weeks ago in my Singles & College class at church. One must first as a priest minister unto the Lord. Such is the primary description of the priestly function within the Old Testament. God tells Moses several times in Exodus to anoint Aaron and his sons so that they "might minister as priests unto Me." Of course, there are a few verses that talk about the priests ministry unto the people, but these are much fewer than the ones that speak of ministering unto God.

I like to use Samuel's example, where he was constantly in the temple ministering unto the Lord. Because Samuel chose to make this his primary ministry did God see fit to give Samuel visions in days when visions where rare. Because he chose to minister unto the Lord, all Israel knew Samuel was confirmed as a prophet, and the Lord did not let any of his words fail. I beleive if we had to choose between being a priest unto God or a prophet unto the people, we should choose to minister unto the Lord.

I also like Job's example, how he would raise everytime his children completed the cycle of their festivals, and interceede on their behalf, raising early to offer sacrifice, just in case, perhaps, they had a wicked thought against the Lord.

Our ministry as intercessors is perhaps the most important of all. It's a scary thing that in this world, there are some people who have nobody whatsoever to pray for them. Countless billions are walking around, without one soul remembering them before God.

Help us Lord!

2005/7/28 18:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy