SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Access over 100,000+ Sermons from Ancient to Modern
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hell

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Savannah wrote:
//Yes, we must "love the King", but we must also fear Him!//

Anyone who truly confesses Jesus as Lord (King) commits to obey Him out of love and fear(respect).

A true disciple is averse to displeasing the Lord because the idea of displeasing the Lord in and of itself is unthinkable.

To give an example from literature, those faithful to Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings or those faithful to Aslan in Narnia were willing to follow both to death if necessary. They did not do so because they were afraid that Aragorn or Aslan would kill them if they didn’t, they did so because they loved their king, and the idea of being untrue was the furthest thing from their minds.

However, behind this love is a healthy dose of respect and fear, as shown in this exchange in The Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe:

Is--is he a man?” asked Lucy.
“Aslan a man!” said Mr. Beaver sternly. “Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-Beyond-the-Sea. Don’t you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion--the Lion, the great Lion.”
“Ooh!” said Susan, “I’d thought he was a man. Is he--quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion.”
“That you will, dearie, and no mistake,” said Mrs. Beaver. “If there’s anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they’re either braver than most or else just silly.”
“Then he isn’t safe?” said Lucy.
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver. “Don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ’Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.“

2021/11/14 14:16Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

Men Honoured Above Angels
John Newton
Now let us join with hearts and tongues,
And emulate the angels' songs;
Yea, sinners may address their King
In songs that angels cannot sing.

They praise the Lamb who once was slain;
But we can add a higher strain;
Not only say, "He suffer'd thus,
"But that he suffer'd all for us."

When angels by transgression fell,
Justice consign'd them all to hell;
But Mercy form'd a wondrous plan,
To save and honour fallen man.

Jesus, who pass'd the angels by,
Assum'd our flesh to bleed and die;
And still he makes it his abode;
As man he fills the throne of God.

Our next of kin, our Brother now,
Is he to whom the angels bow;
They join with us to praise his name,
But we the nearest int'rest claim.

But, ah! how faint our praises rise!
Sure, 'tis the wonder of the skies,
That we, who share his richest love,
So cold and unconcern'd should prove.

Oh, glorious hour, it comes with speed!
When we, from sin and darkness freed,
Shall see the God who died for man,
And praise him more than angels can.

(C) John Newton

Maybe the Getty's should put this hymnn to music

I thought John Newton would be more fitting as I love c s lewis but not his views on hell

In this poem Newton detracts that Jesus came down to redeem men but not the angels as God did not redeem them but he chose to redeem men

He is the same person who wrote amazing grace

If you are really feeling daring read sinners in the hands of an angry God

Jonathan Edwards :: Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God
SINNERS IN THE HANDS OF AN ANGRY GOD
by the
Rev. Jonathan Edwards
A Sermon Preached at Enfield, July 8th, 1741
At a Time of Great Awakenings, and Attended with Remarkable Impressions on many of the Hearers.

Their foot shall slide in due time.—Deut. 32:35.

In this verse is threatened the vengeance of God on the wicked unbelieving Israelites, who were God’s visible people, and who lived under the means of grace; but who, notwithstanding all God’s wonderful works towards them, remained (as Deut. 32:28.) void of counsel, having no understanding in them. Under all the cultivations of heaven, they brought forth bitter and poisonous fruit; as in the two verses next preceding the text.—The expression I have chosen for my text, their foot shall slide in due time, seems to imply the following things, relating to the punishment and destruction to which these wicked Israelites were exposed.

1. That they were always exposed to destruction; as one that stands or walks in slippery places is always exposed to fall. This is implied in the manner of their destruction coming upon them, being represented by their foot sliding. The same is expressed, “Surely thou didst set them in slippery places; thou castedst them down into destruction. (Psalm 73:18)”

2. It implies, that they were always exposed to sudden unexpected destruction. As he that walks in slippery places is every moment liable to fall, he cannot foresee one moment whether he shall stand or fall the next; and when he does fall, he falls at once without warning: Which is also expressed in “Surely thou didst set them in slippery places; thou castedst them down into destruction: How are they brought into desolation as in a moment? (Psalm 73:18-19)”

3. Another thing implied is, that they are liable to fall of themselves, without being thrown down by the hand of another; as he that stands or walks on slippery ground needs nothing but his own weight to throw him down.

4. That the reason why they are not fallen already and do not fall now is only that God’s appointed time is not come. For it is said, that when that due time, or appointed time comes, their foot shall slide. Then they shall be left to fall, as they are inclined by their own weight. God will not hold them up in these slippery places any longer, but will let them go; and then, at that very instant, they shall fall into destruction; as he that stands on such slippery declining ground, on the edge of a pit, he cannot stand alone, when he is let go he immediately falls and is lost.

The observation from the words that I would now insist upon is this.—“There is nothing that keeps wicked men at any one moment out of hell, but the mere pleasure of God.”—By the mere pleasure of God, I mean his sovereign pleasure, his arbitrary will, restrained by no obligation, hindered by no manner of difficulty, any more than if nothing else but God’s mere will had in the least degree, or in any respect whatsoever, any hand in the preservation of wicked men one moment.—The truth of this observation may appear by the following considerations.

1. There is no want of power in God to cast wicked men into hell at any moment. Men’s hands cannot be strong when God rises up. The strongest have no power to resist him, nor can any deliver out of his hands.—He is not only able to cast wicked men into hell, but he can most easily do it. Sometimes an earthly prince meets with a great deal of difficulty to subdue a rebel, who has found means to fortify himself, and has made himself strong by the numbers of his followers. But it is not so with God. There is no fortress that is any defense from the power of God. Though hand join in hand, and vast multitudes of God’s enemies combine and associate themselves, they are easily broken in pieces. They are as great heaps of light chaff before the whirlwind; or large quantities of dry stubble before devouring flames. We find it easy to tread on and crush a worm that we see crawling on the earth; so it is easy for us to cut or singe a slender thread that any thing hangs by:

I don't think his sermon would even enter into the mind of most preachers today.
There is no want of power in God to cast sinners into hell at any moment
Not ontop of Joel osteens or Benny hinns or Todd Bentley
Words to preach
The thing is when he preached this sermon it caused a great revival
Do people want a true revival
I look at me the chief of sinners

I think I should let the passages speak for themselves
As I can quote from people like Whitfield or John Bunyan or r a Torrey on hell

2021/11/14 16:12Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

You are more than welcome to stand on the street corner and preach Edwards’ beloved sermon. Don’t think you’ll see much in the way of results.

2021/11/14 16:39Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I was detailing that as that was a sermon that brought the great awakening that saved millions in America,

It shows you how low America has come.

It was the power of the holy spirit that went with that sermon that was amazing as he had a candle and his voice was terrible.

Yet when he preached the sermon people saw hell open up beneath them, the nearest that I have come to that is one of Keith Daniels sermons.

this was some of the accounts

During the 1730s, the church in Northampton felt the stirring of the Holy Spirit, moving them from their lukewarm apathy to an awakening of their souls. Delivering his most famous sermon, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God," on July 8, 1741, in Enfield, Connecticut, Edwards helped spread the revival. A great commotion swept over the people and they began wailing, crying, and screeching loudly. Frequently Edwards asked the congregation to control themselves so he might finish his sermon. As a result of his preaching and the work of the Spirit, lives began to change and complete towns were transformed.

https://www.christianity.com/church/church-history/timeline/1701-1800/the-great-awakening-11630212.html

There is me thinking that someone would bring up the question why do the angels have no redemption and why did god choose men to be redeemed rather than Angels.

2021/11/14 17:09Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Re:Jade, you said,..
“For if we go into the region of darkness, we will be overwhelmed by the forces there.”
No,.. light overcomes darkness.
Darkness is all around us in this world...if we are truly His, then light goes w/us. ...”ye are the light of the world “,... the Light that is in us brings Light into this darkness.....
Darkness doesn’t like the light.,.

The Spirit that is within us,..the light,
Convicts the world of sin,and of righteousness.
*another Scripture you mentioned:
“Unless the LORD builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it; “
Yes, The Lord wants to us to build a house, to house the Holy Spirit in us, but it must be built upon the *Rock.
(The *Rock is the *Word,.. the ^Trurth of God.)

..............❤️
elizabeth

2021/11/14 17:17Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

You are right Dom- I shouldn’t have said what I said.

2021/11/14 17:59Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi narrowpath,

I have already given scriptures regarding these.

The only important thing is:

What saith the scripture?

2021/11/15 9:35Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi Markus,

Quote:
These are all good verses about the goodness of God.
But can't you see the severity of God for those who disobey Him?
Example: we know that after the exodus the majority perished in the wilderness because the disobeyed God and fell into idol worship.

1 Cor. 8:6 –
yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.

The severity of God is for those who reject or do not trust in the goodness of God.

The severity of God is for those who fall from grace through lack of faith and those who are proud of the works of their own flesh.

Jer. 2:13 –
For My people have committed two evils:
They have forsaken Me,
The fountain of living waters,
To hew for themselves cisterns,
Broken cisterns That can hold no water.

Regarding the people who perished in the wilderness, the Lord their God had commanded them to enter Canaan, the land flowing with milk and honey, but they refused to enter because they feared the “giants” in the land. They did not trust the Lord their God who would fight for them.

The Jewish people where cut off from their own olive tree because they rejected the GRACE and truth that came through the Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul was utterly angry with the Galatians because they were falling from grace into works of the law.

2021/11/15 9:41Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

SINNERS IN THE HANDS OF AN ANGRY GOD

Quote:
As I can quote from people like Whitfield or John Bunyan or r a Torrey on hell

But what saith the scripture?

Quote:
It was the power of the holy spirit that went with that sermon ……

Try imitating Jonathan Edwards and preach his sermon as a “method” in the preacher’s own power and Todd will be right…… “Don’t think you’ll see much in the way of results”. Hearts may even be more hardened.

Quote:
As a result of his preaching and the work of the Spirit, lives began to change and complete towns were transformed.

See what happened to those sinners in the hands of an angry God:

The powers of darkness were broken. Prisoners of darkness were set free. Eyes were opened and people turned from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God.

!!!

2021/11/15 9:47Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: Elibeth

Are you saying that a person filled with the Holy Spirit can INDEPENDENTLY do everything that the Most High God can do?

----------

THE ROCK IS CHRIST.

Deut. 32:3-4 –
For I proclaim the name of the LORD;
Ascribe greatness to our God!
The Rock!
His work is perfect,
For all His ways are just;
A God of faithfulness and without injustice,
Righteous and upright is He.

Ps. 18:31 –
For who is God, but the LORD?
And who is a rock, except our God,

1 Cor. 10:3-4 –
and all ate the same spiritual food; and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ.

1 Cor. 3:11 –
For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

TRUTH IS CHRIST.

John 14:6 –
Jesus said to him, “*** I am *** the way, and *** the truth ***, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

John 8:58 (NKJV) –
Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”

John 8:24 (ISV) –
That is why I told you that you will die in your sins, for unless you believe that I AM, you'll die in your sins."

John 17:3 –
This is eternal life, *** that they may know You ***, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

1 John 5:20 –
And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us understanding so that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.

2021/11/15 9:51Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy