SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Access over 100,000+ Sermons from Ancient to Modern
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hell

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Todd,

Quote:

I would submit that a person must have a true revelation of Jesus Christ to be saved.

If a person has a true revelation of Christ, the idea of not spending eternity with Him is what is terrifying, not the idea of hell.

Essentially, that IS dying without Christ -- and it SHOULD be scary.
Quote:
If a person is terrified of hell and not by the dread of failing to live for Christ for HIS sake, he is not saved.

I think that this is (obviously) true. However, a person can be afraid of BOTH. A person who discovers the truth but is unwilling to give his/her life to the Lord will find himself/herself lost in this world (in this life) and lost for eternity (in the next).

However, my point was that the message that Paul preached (as found in Acts) focused both upon the depravity of mankind, the inability to completely follow the Law and the Good News that God sent his own Son as the ultimate sacrifice for us.

Still, the realization of hell should be ever-present.

Consider Luke 12:4-5...

4 "I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that have no more that they can do.

5 But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!"

2021/11/10 4:52Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi Christopher,

Quote:
I don't believe that the world comes to Christ because of the examples of all of those who claim to follow or even know him. The hope of salvation is not found in man but only in Christ Jesus.

You said that Christ not only brings peace to a troubled mind, but truly coming to the Lord (the Creator of all things) brings a peace that "surpasses all understanding" (Philippians 4:7). You said that you have a personal experience of this. Therefore, for you, the examples of other Christians will certainly not affect you because you have known this truth as a reality in your heart.

But if you are in utter darkness and someone comes preaching the wonders of light and how it gives joy and sight and life etc. and you are even given beautiful illustrations of light, yet, without a real experience of light, light would remain unreal to you and is easily dismissed as make-believe. And if the preacher has no experience of light himself, how is he to be believed?

Quote:
True. However, God has chosen "the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe" (I Corinthians 1:21 [and verses 18-25 for context]).

The “foolishness of the message” in the mighty power of the Holy Spirit.

2021/11/10 9:39Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS (ROM. 10:15)

The preacher is just a voice crying in the wilderness, just a messenger bringing good tidings of great joy.

Faith comes by hearing the word of Christ (Rom. 10:17).

Jesus said:

John 6:63 --
“It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.”

The Spirit and life are in the Word.

Isa. 55:10-11 –
For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven,
And do not return there without watering the earth
And making it bear and sprout,
And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater;
So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth;
It will not return to Me empty,
Without accomplishing what I desire,
And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.

1 Cor. 3:5-6 –
I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth.
So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth.

Mark 3:26-27 –
And He was saying, “The kingdom of God is like a man who casts seed upon the soil; and he goes to bed at night and gets up by day, and the seed sprouts and grows— how, he himself does not know.

HELL

Actually, the Bible does not give much clear and detailed information about hell. Much of what is preached about hell comes from people’s own interpretation of difficult scripture and people’s own thoughts on hell.

BEHOLDING

There is a mystery in “beholding”.

The ewes and she-goats at breeding time, gazing intently on objects of speckled colours that Jacob placed before them, produced speckled young (Gen. 30:31-43).

Should we fix people’s gaze too intently on hell?

Lot’s wife looking back on Sodom and Gomorrah, on which the Lord had rained brimstone and fire, became a pillar of salt (Gen. 19:23-26).

We are instructed to fix our eyes on Jesus (Gen. 12:2).

Correction:
===========
We are instructed to fix our eyes on Jesus (Heb. 12:2).
--- added 11/11/21

John 6:40 –
“For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him, may have eternal life; and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.”

2 Cor. 3:18 –
But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

THEN GOD SAID, “LET US MAKE MAN IN OUR IMAGE, ACCORDING TO OUR LIKENESS……” (GEN. 1:26)

God’s word cannot fail.

Ps. 33:9 --
For He spoke, and it was done;
He commanded, and it stood fast.

Ps. 119:89 (Amp) –
Forever, O LORD, Your word is settled in heaven [standing firm and unchangeable].

God will be all in all (1 Cor. 15:28)

2021/11/10 9:43Profile

Re:

Hell is serious

2021/11/10 10:02
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: sister Jade

“Should we fix people’s gaze too intently on hell?

Lot’s wife looking back on Sodom and Gomorrah, on which the Lord had rained brimstone and fire, became a pillar of salt (Gen. 19:23-26).

We are instructed to fix our eyes on Jesus (Gen. 12:2)”

Sister you tend to misrepresent the scriptures by separating them from their context -

In the above instance you present a question that is nowhere found in scripture, then propping it up with the example of Lots wife looking back...
God commanded them to not look back- to do so is sin and the wages of sin is death/hell. Yet you attempt to use this scripture out of it’s obvious context to prove what exactly??

Then you attempt to use the Gen 12:2 verse to buttress your point... yet it is in fact Jesus who warned of hell more than anyone else in the scriptures🤔

Honestly, can you not see the folly of this position?
I mean are suggesting Jesus got it wrong ?

When the NT states “every man will be judged according to his works” knowing many have and will die apart from Christ,... are you suggesting that God will pardon their sins apart from the blood of Jesus?
If so, on what basis?
If not, what happens to them, where do they spend eternity?

2021/11/10 11:14Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//yet it is in fact Jesus who warned of hell more than anyone else in the scriptures🤔//

I just wanted to dispel the myth that Jesus talked more about hell than he did about heaven(Fletcher I realize you did not say this but many have).

There are 1900 verses in the NT that record Jesus’s words.

60 (3%) of them might be construed as directly or indirectly referencing hell.

192 (10%) mention eternal life, heaven or his coming Kingdom.

Another way to say this is that 97% of the time, hell was not part of his discussion.

We won’t even get into the problem of what Jesus really meant when he used the word “hell,” actually Gehenna, which was an actual place outside of Jerusalem.

2021/11/10 15:24Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

In Mark 9 is says in verses
44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

in case someone overreads it.

2021/11/10 16:10Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

“And they shall go forth and look Upon the corpses of the men Who have transgressed against Me. For their worm does not die, And their fire is not quenched. They shall be an abhorrence to all flesh.”
Isaiah 66:24

Isaiah is talking about literal dead bodies. The cremation fires are not still burning today nor are the worms eating the dead bodies still squirming today.

Why is it ok to read Isaiah as hyperbolic language but take the words of Jesus, who was quoting this Isaiah passage, as literal? Besides, Gehenna, outside the gates of Jerusalem, was a real place of burning.

2021/11/10 17:28Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Quote:
Then you attempt to use the Gen 12:2 verse to buttress your point...

Correction:
==========
We are instructed to fix our eyes on Jesus (Heb. 12:2).

Heb. 12:2 –
fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith……

Sorry, the post was typed in a hurry.

Lot’s wife looked back and saw a city being destroyed and she became what she saw --- destroyed.

You are free to disagree.

2021/11/11 5:14Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Quote:
... are you suggesting that God will pardon their sins apart from the blood of Jesus?
If so, on what basis?
If not, what happens to them, where do they spend eternity?

God will pardon their sins because of the blood of Jesus.

1 John 2:2—
and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

Isa. 66:23 –
“All mankind will come to bow down before Me,” says the LORD.

Phil. 2:10-11 –
so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

2021/11/11 6:23Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy