SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Access over 100,000+ Sermons from Ancient to Modern
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hell

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

The bowl

You were born into a bowl and there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it. This bowl is the world fallen in sin,... there is no way you can get yourself out- if every single person inside the bowl worked together to get just one person out, they’d be no closer than when they started, still trapped in the bowl and as such subject to its aims, it’s measures of achievement, it’s rules and the Bible clearly states that satan is the “god” of this bowl.

You may ask why do I need to get out of the bowl (rich young ruler) the bowl is quite favorable for me despite all its uncleanliness ?
Answer; Because the bowl and everything in it will be judged and consumed by fire -

You need someone outside the bowl to rescue you from the bowl, someone who is able to set you free from the bowl and it’s control.

Jesus is the first to ever conquer the bowl and it is impossible to do so apart from Him. He did so by dying to it, and being reborn into His Father’s kingdom. This serves as the example to follow, hence His being our “forerunner”.

Every Christian wants to be born again but most don’t want to die to the bowl,... instead they seek to be saved “in” the bowl not “from” it- this was never offered by Christ.

The only way to escape the bowl and it’s inevitable destiny of destruction is to die to it and be born again into His kingdom.

God is not mocked, as a man soweth so shall he also reap...
if you sow into the bowl you can only reap from the bowl, you cannot sow into the bowl and reap in the kingdom. In order to reap (eternal life) from His kingdom you must sow into it.

When the bowls most successful persons of all time stand before the Judgement Seat of Christ, being seen in the light of truth, eternal truth, they will be those who are disciplined, hard working, dedicated, and more successful than anyone ever,... but successful at the wrong thing 🤷🏽‍♂️ and not only do you get no reward but it in fact heaps condemnation upon your head in the same measure. These are those that think much of themselves.

When those whom have sown into the kingdom stand before the Judgment Seat of Christ, they are those whom will hear “well done my good and faithful servant.” These will receive reward in proportion to their sowing. These are those that think much of Christ.

There is nothing inside the bowl that has any authority in the kingdom.... No flesh shall glory in His sight-
The whole of the bowl, since the fall, holds its “truth” to be based off the knowledge of good/evil. This is the basis for the nature of the bowl.
The yin yang principle is simply a characterization of the fruit containing the knowledge of good and evil. This summarizes what the “god of this world”
uses to trick people into choosing the “good” side of the wrong tree.

We must all appear before the Judgement Seat of Christ... every mans work will be judged as by fire and the fire will reveal wether the work is wood, hay, stubble (fruit of sowing into the bowl) or wether the work is silver, gold, precious stones (fruit of sowing into the kingdom).
Those who are born again yet whose work is found to be of the bowl will suffer great loss, yet their souls will be saved tho as by fire-
Consider that right before entering into eternity, you suffer great loss and are chastened by the Lord. Yes you will be in heaven but you will be eternally poor.
Whereas those whose work is found to be silver, gold, precious stones (fruit of sowing into the kingdom after having first died to the world and being reborn) will be saved straight thru and they will receive great reward... they will be eternally wealthy -

So no matter how good or successful you become in the bowl, in the end it amounts to literally nothing and like everything else that can,... will count against you.

Can you see the utter futility in following anything or anyone (in the bowl) wether good or evil?
as their conclusion is identical and certain.

No matter when you come out of the bowl, wether 10 min ago or 10 yrs from now or wether it’s after being resurrected for judgement, you will wish you had come out sooner...
Even so there are 3 immutable facts about coming out of the bowl -
1. You will wish you had sooner
2. You will not want to go back under any circumstances
3. You will go back to the bowl

Why would you go back to the bowl when you don’t want to?
Because Jesus will ask you to....
to bear the reproach of His cross (death to this world) and to be a witness of His so that you may testify of Him.
In the same way His faith was a lamp unto your feet and a light unto your path, so too shall your faith be a lamp unto the feet and a light unto the path of others.
That you may be a fisher of men inside the bowl, leading them to Christ that He may, by His Spirit, set them free from the bowl, it’s aims, it’s temptations, it’s measures of success... for you will now have your source of life from outside the jurisdiction of the bowl, and tho your flesh will be subject to its authority, your aims and objectives will run counter to everything the bowl stands for. You will be hated, persecuted and rebuked for not seeking, as all the others do, success according to the bowl. All religions are (at best) eating the “good” fruit from the wrong tree- there is no life in it.

The preaching of the law is a mechanism created by God to illustrate (bring light) the futility of the success as sought and measured by the bowl and it’s adherents. The law will demonstrate that although you live upright within the bowl, (rich young ruler) that you cannot enter His kingdom until you abandon not only the bowl, but it’s aims and objectives and seek another home, realizing that this bowl is not your home but is rather a perverse construct meant to keep you occupied with all its pains and delights, and no matter how sincerely you seek, you will find no life within the bowl but death and destruction will be found to be the fruit of all things not born of God.

To preach grace to a person who does not yet know they are in the bowl much less seeking escape from it, is to offer chemotherapy to a person who has not yet received a diagnosis of cancer... even tho it were free you wouldn’t want nor need it- yet the same chemotherapy (grace) would be worthy of sacrificing everything after you have a terminal diagnosis (law) that you are otherwise incapable of addressing.

Hence, he who seeks to save his life (in the bowl) shall lose it,.. but he who loses his life (in the bowl) for Jesus namesake, will find life (in the kingdom).

Those whom have been born outside the bowl, yet have been sent back to live in the bowl have completely different reasons for being there and as such look and live completely differently than those who have not yet been born again. Those who have eternal life seek not after the fames and fortunes of the bowl but have already received what they sought (freedom) and as such have peace, a peace that defies all explanation within the bowl.

Tho there are ascetics (monks) who live apart from the bowl, yet they are nonetheless still in the bowl and have escaped nothing regarding the inevitable judgement of the bowl and it’s contents. For there life is the life of the bowl... they are simply in denial and have no portion of the eternal life offered by Christ Jesus.

The bowl is always wrong (sinful) even when it is right, it still falls short and it’s efforts are not only in vain but are an affront to the mercy and grace of God the Father. For since it cannot under any circumstances meet the requirements of God, it simply changes its objectives to suit itself seeking to convince its inhabitants to follow after them so that their whole lives are spent laboring to achieve success,... but at the wrong thing- hence the whole bowl lies within the grasp of the evil one and he deceives the whole bowl-

So what do you offer when you present the gospel? You can’t give what you don’t have... do you have eternal life? If so can you give it to others? Or do you simply offer a “good” life in “Jesus’ name” turning the grace of God into a license of lasciviousness? Forever lacking the clean hands required to ascend the Holy hill-

Peter and John went to pray, they met a lame man on the way whom held up his palms asking for alms (fruit of the bowl) and this is what Peter did say,.... silver and gold (fruit of sowing into the bowl) have I none but such as I have (fruit of sowing into the kingdom) give I thee,... In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk! he went jumping and leaping and praising God, jumping and leaping and praising God, in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk ✝️🙏🏻

So the purpose of the law is to demonstrate that on your best day in your best effort, all you can do is make a bad situation worse... without this revelation anything God offers simply furthers to propel you deeper in a debt that you can’t pay.
The purpose of grace is to demonstrate Gods love and mercy, in that like the mana that fell from heaven daily, we draw our life through it just as a fruit must abide in the vine in order to receive the sap. Anyone who eats the fruit shall receive the life contained within it.

What fruit are you eating?
Many eat from the “good” from the wrong tree and teach others to do also, yet they do so “in Jesus name” this will never work as every seed bear fruit after its own kind-
The only way to be conformed into the image of Christ is to eat what He did, the bread un-leavened by the yeast of the bowl-

Lord I found your word,... and I ate it 😇

2021/11/1 8:43Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I said I wasn’t going to chime in further but I changed my mind🤓

I agree that it is ok and necessary to preach about hell in the sense that it is a real place and a fact.

But Jesus did not strongly preach on hell (in the sense that Jonathan Edwards did) but rather mentioned it in passing as an understood reality. For example, the sheep and goats parable was told to his disciples only.

In the Sermon on the Mount, he mentioned hell but did not dwell on it inordinately.

Paul mentions hell (or did he?) but it clearly was not a focus of his preaching.

The danger of strong hellfire preaching is that it will produce false converts who only “repent” out of self interest. I submit that any “conversion” arising out of self interest is of no effect. The person is still dead in their sins.

Leonard Ravenhill talked about altar rats who returned week after week during altar calls. Obviously nothing real was being transacted.

The Gospel is a particular message of good tidings, heralded through Christ and the apostles (but only rarely by modern evangelists). It is called "the Gospel of the Kingdom,” because it is the proclamation of the presence of another Kingdom and another King—one Jesus (Acts 17:7; 20:25). This entire proclamation can be summarized by the original Christian confession: "Jesus is Lord [i.e., King]." This is what one must confess, in order to be saved (Rom.10:9). It is because He is the King that we must repent (of our former neglect of His lordship), trust Him, and be baptized into His alternative, royal society. Obedience is the obvious response to Lordship:

"Why do you call me 'Lord,' 'Lord,' and you do not do what I say?" (Luke 6:46)

2021/11/1 17:29Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

PURPOSE OF THE LAW

Gal. 3:23 –

NASB 1977 –
But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed.

Berean Literal Bible –
Now before faith came, we were held in custody under the Law, having been locked up until the faith being about to be revealed,

“we were kept in custody” --- Greek ephrouroumetha

Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance: “From a compound of pro and horao; to be a watcher in advance, i.e. To mount guard as a sentinel (post spies at gates); figuratively, to hem in, protect -- keep (with a garrison).”

“shut up” --- Greek sunkleiomenoi

Strong’s Concordance: “to shut together, i.e. enclose”

Gal. 3:24 –

NASB 1977 –
Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, that we may be justified by faith.

CSB –
The law, then, was our guardian until Christ, so that we could be justified by faith.

“tutor” – Greek paidagōgos

Strong’s Concordance: “a trainer of boys, i.e. a tutor”; usage:” a boy's guardian or tutor, a slave who had charge of the life and morals of the boys of a family, not strictly a teacher.”

“lead us” – in italics, not in original Greek.

Comment:
-----------

The Law shut up the Jewish people and guarded them, had charge of their lives and morals, until Christ came. No one could be justified by the Law. Only after Christ came, then people can be justified by faith in Him.
It is not that the Law led the people to Christ. But the Law guarded them until Christ. After Christ came, in Christ they would become sons of God (v. 25-26) and they would not need the Law as an external guardian/tutor, but they would have the law written in their hearts by the New Covenant.

“BY THE LAW WAS THE KNOWLEDGE OF SIN”

Rom. 3:20 –
Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, that every mouth may be closed, and all the world may become accountable to God; because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

The vital point in Paul’s message in Rom. 3 is that both Jews and Gentiles are both under sin (v.9).

The Gentiles did not have the Law but their own conscience and thoughts (or, reasoning) either condemn them or tell them that they are doing right (Rom. 2:15).

For the Jews who were under the Law, “through the Law comes the knowledge of sin (Rom. 3:20).

So, Paul said in Rom. 7:7 – “I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.”

The Greek for “knowledge” in Rom. 3:20 means “full and thorough knowledge”. Therefore, through the Law, the Jews had a knowledge of sin that was fuller and more thorough than the Gentiles’ knowledge of sin through their conscience and thoughts/reasoning.

Comment:
------------

The Gentiles, having a knowledge of sin through their conscience and thoughts/reasoning, sinned.

The Jews, having a fuller and more thorough knowledge of sin through the Law, also sinned. And, their sin was experientially fuller and more thorough than that of the Gentiles.

Rom. 7:13 –
………so that through the commandment sin would become utterly sinful.

Ezek. 5:16 –
‘But she has rebelled against My ordinances more wickedly than the nations and against My statutes more than the lands which surround her; for they have rejected My ordinances and have not walked in My statutes.’

The Law exposed the utter sinfulness of the human nature in the Jews but they did not become remorseful or repentant. On the contrary, they became utterly self-righteous as typified by the Pharisee in Luke 18:11-12:

“The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.’”

Wouldn’t this also happen if an unbeliever is put under the Law?

1 Cor. 10:11 –
Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

THE VEIL OVER THE HEART

The Law did not open the hearts of the Jewish people to the Gospel. On the contrary, their minds were hardened and a veil was laid over their hearts.

2 Cor. 3:14-15 –
But their minds were hardened; for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remains unlifted, because it is removed in Christ. But to this day whenever Moses is read, a veil lies over their heart;

Comment:
---------

For the Jews under the Law, the coming of Christ and the preaching of the Gospel did not soften their hearts and minds. Instead of seeing their need for a Saviour, they crucified Him. Except for a small remnant, the entire nation rejected the Gospel preached to them.

Is it wise then to put sinners under the Law first?

The Law did not lead Paul to Christ. It led him to persecute the Christians. It was the mighty revelation of Christ on the road to Damascus that did what the Law could not do and led him out of darkness into light.

THE GOODNESS OF GOD LEADS TO REPENTANCE

Rom. 2:4 --
Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?

Comment:
-----------
Repentance in the NT means a change of thought and will.

It is the knowledge of the great and abundant goodness, forbearance and longsuffering of God that makes us change our thoughts and will, and, like the prodigal son, make the decision to leave the misery of sin and return to the riches and glory our heavenly Father’s house. Our heavenly Father waits to celebrate and rejoice at the return of every sinner who was dead and has come alive and who was lost and has been found (Luke 15:11-32).

2021/11/6 8:49Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Hell

Hi Jade,

Quote:
My Question:
If the fear of hell is the driving force, why would a person become a Christian and not a Buddhist to escape hell?

I think that what Greg said is sound truth. Many groups have elements of "truth" in their teaching. After all, a lie mingled with some truth is often the greatest type of deception.

As most believers know, the agony of Hell is not just the pains of punishment. Rather, it is with the fact that those sentenced will KNOW THE TRUTH and live eternally with the overwhelming knowledge that they are eternally hopeless. There will be no escape.

The "Gospel" is actually the GOOD NEWS that God -- by sending His only begotten Son -- provides a way of escape for all people (both Jews and Gentiles).

So, in response to your initial question: The "driving force" for becoming a follower of Christ is not FEAR but HOPE.

If any person believes in Jesus and gives their "everything" to him, then they can be redeemed. They can know the Creator of the Universe and avoid the punishment designed for Satan and his angels and assigned to sinners who do not.

2021/11/7 14:51Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi Christopher,

TRUTH

Christians believe they have the truth.

The Buddhists also believe that their beliefs are true.

It is the Christians’ word against the Buddhists’ word, the Christians’ truth against the Buddhists’ truth.

The Buddhists will hold to their truth as firmly as Christians hold to their truth.

So, how will it be shown whose truth is the real truth?

THE GOSPEL

Preachers are trying to save people from hell but the Bible says that Jesus will save people *** from their sins ***.

Matt. 1:21 –
“She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people *** from their sins ***.”

2021/11/8 2:14Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Jade,

I suppose that the difference is that Buddhism might provide some "peace of mind" but not "peace of soul." While they might be correct about the diagnosis (Hell), they're substituting a placebo in place of the only viable cure.

Christ not only brings peace to a troubled mind, but truly coming to the Lord (the Creator of all things) brings a peace that "surpasses all understanding" (Philippians 4:7). I can say this from personal experience.

As the old Scotsman once wrote, "Peace is not the absence of trouble but the presence of God." I feel that the peace is an outcome of the hope that we have in Christ Jesus.

While there are religions that believe that they have the truth and some might feel a degree of "peace of mind," they will lack this supernatural peace that comes only from knowing Jesus Christ. This is because Jesus is the ONLY way to God.

I remember reading "NO COMPROMISE: THE LIFE STORY OF KEITH GREEN" (written by Melody Green). Keith Green was born into a Jewish family. However, his parents had dabbled in other religions too (as was becoming more common in those days). People were questioning what they were taught and seeking truth.

With agitation and discomfort of his soul, Keith Green began to seek "truth." He made a list of all of these philosophies and religions. At the bottom of his list of "Jesus Christ." Like many others, Keith Green found that none of the things on his list worked until he came to Christ Jesus.

Yes, you make a great point about being saved from our SINS. The Bible says this plainly. However, our "sins" are the diagnosis for which hell in the consequence. Salvation from both only comes through Christ Jesus. Thus, we are both saved FROM our sins and hell; but, we are also set apart FOR our Lord. This supernatural peace is born from belonging to him.

2021/11/8 12:34Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi Christopher,

Quote:
they will lack this supernatural peace that comes only from knowing Jesus Christ.

Yet Buddhists may look at Christians they know and do not see this to be true.

But I will say this:

God’s Truth can only be known by a revelation of God in the depths of the human being by the Spirit of God.

It cannot be truly known in the realms of human thought and reasoning or by the power of human persuasion.

Ps. 51:6 (Berean Study Bible) –
Surely You desire truth in the inmost being;
You teach me wisdom in the inmost place.

It is in our inmost being that the Holy Spirit will convict us of sin and righteousness and lead us into all truth.

Therefore it is futile to try to convert a person by scary sermons or by any other human method.

1 Cor. 2:5 –
………that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

Quote:
However, our "sins" are the diagnosis for which hell in the consequence.

The Greek word for sin is hamartanó which means “to miss the mark”.

It is “falling short of the glory of God” --- Rom. 3:23.

God created man in His image, in His likeness (Gen. 1:26). NT tells us that God had predestined man to be conformed to the image of Christ (Rom. 8:29).

Christ is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of God’s nature (Heb. 1:3).

So man would also be the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of God’s being.

When Adam sinned, this image was lost.

Christ came to save us from our sin, that is, save us from missing the mark and falling short of the glory of God.

The gospel is that we may gain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. (2 Thess. 2:14).

Col. 1:25-27 –
Of this church I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God, that is, the mystery which has been hidden from the past ages and generations, but has now been manifested to His saints, to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is *** Christ in you, the hope of glory ***.

2021/11/9 10:05Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Jade,

You raise some great points. Please allow me to touch on a few of them:

Quote:
Yet Buddhists may look at Christians they know and do not see this to be true.

I don't believe that the world comes to Christ because of the examples of all of those who claim to follow or even know him. The hope of salvation is not found in man but only in Christ Jesus.

Quote:
God’s Truth can only be known by a revelation of God in the depths of the human being by the Spirit of God.

It cannot be truly known in the realms of human thought and reasoning or by the power of human persuasion.

True. However, God has chosen "the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe" (I Corinthians 1:21 [and verses 18-25 for context]). In fact, this passage speaks to the importance of preaching the truth:

8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,
9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.
11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed.”
12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him;
13 for “Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
14 How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed?
How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard?
And how will they hear without a preacher?
15 How will they preach unless they are sent?
Just as it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!”

Romans 10:8-15

This reminds me of the song GOD'S ONLY FOOL by Michael Card.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEJrjGa106U

You're right that no one can come to Christ unless the Father draws him (John 6:44 [verses 41-51 in context]). However, the Lord has actually chosen the preaching of the Gospel to accomplish this.

I don't believe that this is a binary EITHER/OR conceptualization either. It isn't the preaching of Hell OR the preaching of being saved from sin. It's both...and more.

The Gospel can only be understood from the its completeness -- that sin has separated man from God. The consequence of that separation is Hell. The Law of Moses existed to make a way of righteousness...but no one could fulfill it in its entirety. So, God sent His only begotten Son to this world to be the sacrifice for ALL sins.

Quote:
It is in our inmost being that the Holy Spirit will convict us of sin and righteousness and lead us into all truth.

Therefore it is futile to try to convert a person by scary sermons or by any other human method.

Good points. Still, I'd point out that the consequence of dying without Christ IS scary. It should be so terrifying that it should shake someone to the core -- past bone and marrow and into the very soul and spirit of that person!

When Paul had left Damascus and first went out and preached (Acts 13), he preached about ETERNAL LIFE. In his message, Paul preached about the Good News that Jesus -- the descendent of David -- had brought "salvation."

In fact, Paul said, "Therefore let it be known to you, brethren, that through Him forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, and through Him everyone who believes is freed from all things, from which you could not be freed through the Law of Moses" (Acts 13:38-39).

However, the next week, he also scolded those who had scoffed, contradicted the things that Paul preached and even engaged in blasphemy. So, Paul responded by telling them that they "repudiate" the Word of God and "judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life" (verse 44-46). In a sense, you could say that Paul taught the WHOLE counsel or purpose of God (Acts 20:27).

I get what you're saying too. A message that focuses solely on the preaching of Hell as the "thing" that we are saved from (or solely to invoke fear in the heart of the listener) is kind of missing the point. We are saved from our sins (and the guilt that comes from sin). By being saved from our sins (and that guilt), we are saved from the consequence of dying in sin -- namely punishment that is reserved for the devil and his angels.

Personally, I think that the presentations of the Good News as recorded by the apostles and others in the Book of Acts are a good primer for what our salvation message should be like.

2021/11/9 17:26Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

“Still, I'd point out that the consequence of dying without Christ IS scary. It should be so terrifying that it should shake someone to the core -- past bone and marrow and into the very soul and spirit of that person!”
——————

I would submit that a person must have a true revelation of Jesus Christ to be saved.

If a person has a true revelation of Christ, the idea of not spending eternity with Him is what is terrifying, not the idea of hell.

If a person is terrified of hell and not by the dread of failing to live for Christ for HIS sake, he is not saved.

That is the danger of scaring people into “converting” by hellfire preaching. The “conversion” is exceedingly suspect because it is grounded in self interest and that is nothing less than idolatry.

2021/11/9 19:59Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: brother Todd

You wrote: “Still, I'd point out that the consequence of dying without Christ IS scary. It should be so terrifying that it should shake someone to the core -- past bone and marrow and into the very soul and spirit of that person!”
——————

I would submit that a person must have a true revelation of Jesus Christ to be saved.

If a person has a true revelation of Christ, the idea of not spending eternity with Him is what is terrifying, not the idea of hell.

If a person is terrified of hell and not by the dread of failing to live for Christ for HIS sake, he is not saved.

That is the danger of scaring people into “converting” by hellfire preaching. The “conversion” is exceedingly suspect because it is grounded in self interest and that is nothing less than idolatry.”

in response;
The preaching of hell/judgment has different effects depending on the spiritual condition of the hearer-
For an unbeliever, the preaching of hell/judgement is purposed to arrest the deception/lies of the enemy by confronting them with their inevitable conclusions. Once that is established in the hearer, the opportunity for them to humble themselves in the light of judgement and hell. This is of great value...”He resists the prideful but He gives grace to the humble”...

For a believer, hearing the effectual preaching of an inevitable judgement and potential “great loss” certainly helps a brother/sister who is being enticed by the things of this world,(which happens often) to remind themselves of the utter futility of pursuing that as it only and inevitably leads to death... as our flesh is subject to temptations.

As brother Chris mentioned, no one is advocating to preach only judgement/hell but that it should be included in a healthy diet, as it were.
Incidentally, the preaching of Gods love is not really present in the Synoptics or Acts as a point of focus, in fact it is most often reserved for those whom are already converted, ie; Johns gospel and epistle and Paul’s letters. They are all written to believers, they (to my knowledge) didn’t really go around telling the unbelieving world that Jesus loves them... meaning I can’t imagine the apostles were beaten to death in the streets for telling people, both in and without the church, that Jesus loves them 🤷🏽‍♂️
point being, things can get convoluted when we don’t divide the word rightly... a “love of the truth” (2 Thess 2) is imperative, without which God Himself seals us over, reserved for judgement -😳 that is as heavy as it gets brother, and this is written exclusively to believers - let that sink in 🙏🏻

edit to add:
The current world situation is a prime example... once people heard there was a terrible disease that could kill them or their loved ones they naturally sought remedy... even willing to subject themselves and their loved ones to an experimental treatment in hopes of escaping. This same effect can be (and has been) produced from the effectual preaching of judgement/hell.

“ Don’t be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell.”

2021/11/9 21:16Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy