SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Evan Roberts Quote
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
passerby

Re:

This is something that is beyond a crash course or a day of internet search, the important biblical references had been discussed here at SI over the years.

This is something personal, yet needs the guidance of the inspired men of God. This is not a mere academic subject.

2021/2/23 19:41Profile
Platy

Re:

"But sitting idle without asking anything as a powerless Christian, holding proudly to your theology is a wasted life. I see most Christians live such a life of powerless contentment."

You see its statements like this that will get you into trouble in a discussion. Holding proudly? So its matter of pride? And there wouldn't be a possibility of it being the other way around?

"Ephesians 5:18 - And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit."

You are correct that is the prescriptive passage I was going to go to. Where in that passage does it say second blessing?

2021/2/23 19:44Profile
billy1980

Re:

I have worked in factories most my life. Being empowered by the Holy Spirit has allowed me to witness to others concerning Christ with not only my voice, but also with my daily walk with Christ. Without His empowering our witness with our voice can’t be confirmed through our walk, because without that great grace we would constantly be failing and slipping up around those observing our lives daily.

Added. The baptism in the Holy Spirit is not a cure all though. We must spend time with Christ and His Word continually or we still back slide.

Added. Also from experience, I see multiple fillings, after the very first one throughout our Christian life. I believe everyday, as I spend time before our Father I am refilled. I feel it like He is breathing down on me grace as wind within my mind as I sit still in His presence.

2021/2/23 20:00Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

"Ephesians 5:18 - And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit."

You are correct that is the prescriptive passage I was going to go to. Where in that passage does it say second blessing?

The passage as I explained in my post is clearly talking about multiple blessing. Not even 2nd blessing but more than that. A continuous filling of the Holy Spirit.

Quote:

You see its statements like this that will get you into trouble in a discussion. Holding proudly? So its matter of pride? And there wouldn't be a possibility of it being the other way around?

The point I am making here is, if a person is powerless against sin then he/she should not be content with their Christian life but seek the power irrespective of their belief (one time blessing or multiple blessing). But instead I see most people content with their powerless life but hold their theology of one time blessing so strongly. This I see as a great contradiction.

Our belief and theology should reflect in our life. Else something is wrong.

2021/2/23 21:00Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Ephesians is my go to passage. But also, looking at acts, you see the initial filling of the Spirit which empowered the Apostles, and then a subsequent filling that occurred after the apostles prayed for boldness (acts 4). Being full of the Holy Spirit wasn't just a requirement for apostles. It was a requirement for Deacons (Acts 6:3).

I also think of Saul. Although it is not a passage that I would use to prove it, I do find it interesting that Saul, who barely knew God, was taken control of by the Holy Spirit and made to prophesy. I would expect, if a believer, who is a lover of God, were to receive the Holy Spirit, that something no-less-miraculous would happen. Not to mention the clear and evident power David displayed through the presence of the Spirit of God in his life.

Then I look at my own life--anemic at best. But there have been times when I knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that the Spirit of God had filled me and empowered me for the task at hand. It wasn't a feeling. There were no tongues. But the Lord was moving and using me. I remember the first time it happened. I was witnessing to a young man, who put his earphones on to ignore me. Suddenly, my mouth opened and the Gospel came out. His music suddenly stopped. Every time I would open my mouth, his music would cut off and he heard the Gospel. He knew something strange was happening too. But it was almost like I was a bystander to the event. After that, it would happen when I would preach or speak on occasion.

Nowadays, it seems like I am powerless. I can't quite put my finger on what is going on. Maybe it just isn't as thrilling as it was, but that doesn't make sense either. Anyhow, there ya go.

2021/2/23 21:12Profile
billy1980

Re:

One more word brethren then I will leave this post. Another thing concerning the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and it is a Huge one!

The baptism allows us to have a relationship with the third member of the Trinity! It brings forth a relationship, a friendship, a helper, a teacher, comforter into our life, within us!

Look through the Book of Acts see Him and Paul talking! Brethren, it’s a relationship. A very precious one as He seeks to sanctify us and help us get ready for our bride groom Jesus Christ:)

I’m so thankful and happy as I think on this truth, and so thankful the Holy Spirit and I have a companionship between us. Thanks for opening this topic! To reflect on how much He loves us that not only did Christ die in our stead, but God the Father then sent His Spirit to be with us.

Thank you Father for all you have given us through Christ Jesus, though we deserve it not. This relationship is for each of us as Peter prophesied in Acts chapter 2.

Blessings in Christ to each of you.

2021/2/23 21:39Profile
Platy

Re:

"The passage as I explained in my post is clearly talking about multiple blessing. Not even 2nd blessing but more than that. A continuous filling of the Holy Spirit."

Right this is my basically my viewpoint with the exception that there is no second or third blessing its a continual/repeated filling of the Spirit. So why jump to conclusions then? We were on the same page basically. The issue here was the massive amount of confusion on all the differing terms and theologies because people are following men and not the bible and because they are not dividing the word of God carefully.

Now taking this verse it not only commands you to be filled continually with the Spirit but it tells you what to do to be filled with the Spirit which is in the following verses.

There is a parallel between Ephesians 5:18-19 and Colossians 3:16.

Ephesians 5:18-19 - And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Colossians 3:16 -
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

The difference here is the phrase filled with the Spirit is replaced with let the word of Christ dwell in you richly. My conclusion is that they are one in the same. The real
anointing comes from the Book and no where else. See Joshua 1 and Psalm 1.

What do you with Martin Luther?

The purpose of the filling of the Spirit was to give boldness. The Holy Spirit is known as the Comforter. The old english meaning of that word comforter has something to do with boldness. Come/fortitude. The Holy Spirit is the one that brings/comes with inner fortitude and strengthens the Christian in hostile situations. For example, the disciples failed and fled when they took Jesus in the garden. But in the book of the Acts the same Peter and John testified boldy in front of the same attackers and went to prison because the Spirit empowered them with inner fortitude.

My question again is what do you with a guy like Martin Luther who would reject this whole thread and yet this man stood boldly against the whole Roman Empire and the catholic church and testified of the true faith at the cost of his life. You would have a major problem with that.

How about all the martyrs throughout history who were burned at the stake? Where did they get that boldness to endure from?

And yet it is ironic the majority of the same Spirit filled camp today flock by the multitudes flock into comfortable cities and into false doctrines like the prosperity gospel where suffering and taking up the cross are the enemies. In other words enemies of the cross who mind earthly things.

2021/2/23 21:40Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Fortunately, I doubt men like Luther "needed" to understand the doctrine before it was a reality. God is faithful. Just because you don't understand the exact mechanism of conversation before you are saved doesn't mean you won't get saved. It just means you don't understand what is happening to the greatest degree it can be understood. The same thing is true with many believers. There is a component to being filled by the Spirit that definitely rests in the hands of a Sovereign God. Many believers who suffered martyrdom did not walk out their door, stand in the sunshine, smell the warm air and say, "I think I'll give my life for Christ today!" It was thrust upon them, and yet, God is faithful. He gave them incredible grace and power to endure. I think of Perpetua and the brethren with her. (Read that story! It's wonderful!)

Maybe the problem with me is that I don't "need" God. I do. I know I do. But maybe that "need" is being blocked by my pride. Perhaps, it is an issue with humility, which I would be a liar to say I did not struggle with and LOSE many many times over.

2021/2/23 22:04Profile
Platy

Re:

Matthew 10-18-20 - And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles. But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

When the time comes God will empower as needed. Trust him for it.

2021/2/23 22:13Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

My question again is what do you with a guy like Martin Luther who would reject this whole thread and yet this man stood boldly against the whole Roman Empire and the catholic church and testified of the true faith at the cost of his life. You would have a major problem with that.

I have no problem with Martin Luther. Why do you think I will have? It shows that you have not understood my belief yet. It is understandable as I do not go to either extremes that you see in Christendom today.

I believe in 2nd blessing. It is my personal experience as well as scripture. John 20:22 is the first blessing, Acts 2:3 is the 2nd blessing.

I have no problem with someone believing in only 1 blessing. I believe God can baptize a person in the Holy Spirit when they are born again. I am not someone who says it is always 2nd blessing. Also I do not even believe it is God's will to give us the blessing in parts. Hence I have no problem with whatever Luther believed as long as he had the power in his life to show. I only have problem with people who hold the belief of Luther without any power to be a living witness.

I also believe in the continuous filling of the Holy Spirit which is based on Ephesians 5:18.

Wind blows where it blows same is the man filled with the Holy Spirit. Which means Holy Spirit can work in a man in any ways He wishes. Who are we to constrain God by our man made theologies.

Quote:

My conclusion is that they are one in the same. The real
anointing comes from the Book and no where else.

I disagree with you here. First I agree with you that Holy Spirit and the word of Christ are the same. Ephesians 6:17 says - "the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God".

But Word of God is not constrained to the Bible. Jesus said man shall live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. Which means God is still speaking, he did not stop speaking after man canonized the Bible!

To be filled with the Holy Spirit is to have God's word spoken to us directly. We will live by God's word speaking to our hearts directly not through a book. But that word will always be in the same spirit as the written word which is the Bible. It is because God cannot contradict himself.

After my 2nd blessing experience I started sharing God's word in the Church. Those sermons were not prepared by sitting with a Bible for hours. Those were prepared by meditating on God's word in my heart when I am in my work, or spending time with my family or in my bed.

2021/2/23 22:48Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy