SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How many people have read the bible the whole way through & how many times

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Deleted because it adds nothing to the discussion.

2021/2/9 17:32
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

Here's a quote that some will gladly grab hold of:
The choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian!

(Thomas Brooks)

LISTEN to audio! Download audio

(You will find it helpful to listen to the audio above, as you read the text below.)

If it is not the aim of your heart to practice what you read, to what end do you read?

To increase your own condemnation? If your light and knowledge is not turned into practice, the more knowing man you are, the more miserable man you will be in the day of recompense! Your light and knowledge will be . . .
that rod that will eternally lash you,
and that scorpion that will forever bite you,
and that worm that will everlastingly gnaw you!

Therefore read and labor to know, that you may DO--or else you are undone for ever!

Remember, it is not hasty reading, but serious meditating upon holy and heavenly truths, that make them prove sweet and profitable to the soul.

It is not the bee's touching of the flower that gathers honey, but her abiding for a time upon the flower that draws out the sweet.

It is not he who reads most, but he who meditates most--who will prove the choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian

With that said, with all due respect to Thomas Brooks who is way beyond me, he has only part right.

As has been said, if we love Jesus and the Father then we will love His voice and long to sit at His feel and hear it.

Next, the Spirit says that we become like Jesus when and as we "behold Him". Beholding Jesus happens in at least two critical ways..... through the apostles teaching and through the prophets who spoke of Him ( the early church was devoted to this teaching)...... and through Jesus "manifesting" Himself to us as we walk in fellowship with Him by loving Him and obeying His commands.

Given all that, why wouldn't you cherish, love, seek and tremble at every syllable that has been spoken by the Spirt? I'm at a loss to understand how anyone wouldn't devote themselves to "digging' for heavenly gold every opportunity they get. Unless of course they don't see the value in this particular gold which is not a rebuke but just a mentioning of loss.

2021/2/9 18:28Profile
mama27

Re:

I don’t have time to read every post on this thread, but to answer the original question, I am on my 5th time through. I consider that pathetic as I have been a believer for over 40 years. I have used the One Year Bible just for ease and have altered the translations each time. I have used NASB which is the Bible I primarily use, as well as NKJV and ESV. I have to say though that I’m not sure reading through is the best way necessarily. One year I found that I was just doing it out of duty and I almost came to dread it some days. That sounds almost blasphemous. I don’t mean I don’t love the Lord or have a strong desire to know Him more intimately. I just mean I came to dread the “ritual” of it. I almost think one could be better served if one spent an hour or more meditating on one verse, or one section. It is not the reading through that is important as much as letting the Word change us. One year recently I took a break from the reading through as I was going through a very difficult time in my life. My readings were primarily in the Psalms. I know EVERY word is important and given by God, but I in no way felt “scolded” by God for not being able to be in the genealogies or Levitical law or the chapters on the details of the tabernacle.The Psalms were what ministered to me and God used to keep me hanging on. I don’t put this out there to invite controversy. Yes, we could all spend more time in the Word, we would do well to ask God to help us love His Word more than we do....no matter how mature we are in Christ. I’m not suggesting that we don’t need to read the Bible cover to cover. I just think we need to guard against it being a dead ritual.

2021/2/10 6:29Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

Amazing :)

2021/2/11 14:56Profile
deogloria

Re:

I agree reading the Bible is extremely important. But to ask how often we read it is only useful for statistics.
Do we really believe it is the Word of God?
Then why are so many Christians reading versions that have clearly been changed, like the "Message" ?
Many don't believe the Bible is the ultimate authority.

May the Lord open our eyes and give us a new heart and a new hunger for His Word so that we delight in it (PS 1)

2021/2/11 15:55Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

This is another whole thread if someone read the Voice Bible I would tell them to get a proper version

The inerracy of scripture is another thread I agree with the inerracy of scripture

I agree reading the Bible is extremely important. But to ask how often we read it is only useful for statistics.
Do we really believe it is the Word of God?
Then why are so many Christians reading versions that have clearly been changed, like the "Message" ?
Many don't believe the Bible is the ultimate authority.

2021/2/11 16:35Profile
Platy

Re:

If we once get above our Bibles, and cease making the written word of God our sole rule both as to faith and practice, we shall soon lie open to all manner of delusion, and be in great danger of making shipwreck of faith and a good conscience. Our blessed Lord, though he had the Spirit of God without measure, yet always was governed by, and fought the devil with, 'It is written'. This the apostle calls the 'sword of the Spirit'. We may say of it, as David said of Goliath's sword, 'None like this'. The scriptures are called the lively oracles of God: not only because they are generally made use of to beget in us a new life, but also to keep up and increase it in the soul. The apostle Peter, in his second epistle, prefers it even to seeing Christ transfigured upon the mount. For after he had said, chap. 1:18. 'This voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount'; he adds, 'We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day-star arise in your hearts': that is, till we shake off these bodies, and see Jesus face to face. Till then we must see and converse with him through the glass of his word. We must make his testimonies our counselors, and daily, with Mary, sit at Jesus' feet, by faith hearing his word. We shall then by happy experience find, that they are spirit and life, meat indeed and drink indeed, to our souls.

-George Whitefield

Source:
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=54

2021/2/11 19:19Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

It's amazing how fast this thread got off track. The original question was "How many people have read the bible the whole way through & how many times" He did not say ONE word about folks NOT reading their Bibles, or ask how many folks don't read their Bibles. By reading some of the replies, you might have thought he ask "How many folks don't read their Bibles at all". Hopefully the folks that read their Bibles all the time, or have read their Bibles many times through, read a lot better than they do here. :)

2021/2/11 19:46Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: How many people have read the bible the whole way through & how many times

Hi Dominic,

My wife and I begin every morning reading the Bible together. We typically wait until we're both fully awake (i.e., at least a half-hour after we wake up) and usually in our living room. We do this at a time so that we're free from distractions.

When we read, we go through the Bible on a book-by-book basis. For our latest journey through the Bible, we read the books of Matthew, Mark, John and Luke...then Acts...and then Galatians. After that, we went through the Book of the Law (i.e., Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy) before moving to Joshua and Judges. After this, we are going back to the New Testament epistles.

I will add that this is in addition to our private, individual Bible readings that we do on our own.

As for versions: We're both very familiar with the KJV, NIV and NASB. My wife is also very familiar with the Reina Valera Antigua and a couple of other Spanish translations. In fact, we have an additional version or two within arm's reach so that we can see how a different version might word the same passage.

I appreciate going through the Bible on a book-by-book and chapter-by-chapter path. This is especially true with books that are time-linear or historical accounts.

I will say this: I think that it is vitally important for believers to read all four Gospels and Acts as well as the Book of the Law (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy). I think that it is very helpful to read them from start to finish too.

The epistles are filled with references to the Law of Moses or even stories of people like Balaam. I've known people who have been saved for a long time who struggle with understanding the Old Testament passages -- including those from the Book of the Law account.

In fact, the epistles aren't quite as readily understood unless you understand the passages that they so often refer to (from the life of Jesus as well as the account from Creation to entering the Promised Land).

I agree that it is vitally important to read the Word daily! We have this wonderful ability to have it accessible at our fingertips. We say that we want to hear God's voice -- but so many never make the most of the opportunity to read his words.

2021/2/12 15:40Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

As for versions: We're both very familiar with the KJV, NIV and NASB. My wife is also very familiar with the Reina Valera Antigua and a couple of other Spanish translations. In fact, we have an additional version or two within arm's reach so that we can see how a different version might word the same passage

Welldone Chriss

It is also interesting reading scriptures in different languages as I know I think the Russians used the septugient for the pslams as there is slight differences on what greek texts are behind the bible

I agree that it is vitally important to read the Word daily! We have this wonderful ability to have it accessible at our fingertips. We say that we want to hear God's voice -- but so many never make the most of the opportunity to read his words.

:)

2021/2/12 16:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy