SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Jacob or Heli?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re: Jacob or Heli?

philologos said

Quote:
This would make Joseph the legal son of Jacob and the physical son of Heli. Joseph now become betrothed to Jacob's daughter, his cousin, Mary.

Is Mary's status as Joseph's wife (one flesh with him) a component in the status her Son is given?

2007/4/25 16:58

I have another question about Mary.

Luke 1
5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the division of Abijah. His wife [i]was[/i] of the daughters of Aaron, and her name [i]was[/i] Elizabeth.

36 "Now indeed, [u]Elizabeth your relative[/u] has also conceived a son in her old age; and this is now the sixth month for her who was called barren.

What was Mary's relationship to Levi?

2007/4/26 15:50
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Wow, Ron. That is a lot to process, but very interesting.

2007/4/26 16:42Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Re:

Quote:

dorcas wrote:

I have another question about Mary.

Luke 1
5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the division of Abijah. His wife [i]was[/i] of the daughters of Aaron, and her name [i]was[/i] Elizabeth.

36 "Now indeed, [u]Elizabeth your relative[/u] has also conceived a son in her old age; and this is now the sixth month for her who was called barren.

What was Mary's relationship to Levi?

Anna, her mother was either the sister or cousin of Elizabeth. Most probably the sister, since the angel doesn't go into geneologies, and Mary would then be the neice by marriage of Zacharias.

Isn't it odd to find Mary going to Elizabeth, or that Elzabeth's son would be Mary son's prophet?

However, in that extended tribal culture, Anna and Elizabeth could be favorite cousins, Mary a second cousin by marriage to Zacharias.

Luke 1:34. Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?
35. And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
36. And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.
37. For with God nothing shall be impossible.

Blessings,

Forrest

2007/4/27 8:51Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Re:

Quote:

dorcas wrote:

philologos said
Quote:
This would make Joseph the legal son of Jacob and the physical son of Heli. Joseph now become betrothed to Jacob's daughter, his cousin, Mary.

Is Mary's status as Joseph's wife (one flesh with him) a component in the status her Son is given?

Very much so, since Joseph, if the actual son of Jacob, was from the cursed line of David, and Mary from the uncursed line.

Jesus had to have both physical Davidic Lineage and Legal Davidic Lineage, to make sure the throne goes to a son of David through Mary, and through Joseph. Also, Jacob's line was the more direct lineage from David, and a lot easier to prove Jesus's Son of David lineage through.

In either event, Joseph and Mary were both of the Judahite lineage, necessary for the blessing of Jacob to descend to David.

1st Samuel 17:12. Now David was the son of that Ephrathite of BethlehemJudah, whose name was Jesse; and he had eight sons: and the man went among men for an old man in the days of Saul.
13. And the three eldest sons of Jesse went and followed Saul to the battle: and the names of his three sons that went to the battle were Eliab the firstborn, and next unto him Abinadab, and the third Shammah.
14. And David was the youngest: and the three eldest followed Saul.

I've always thought God knew that Saul was the one to start the Kingdom, but not to carry it on, because he was a Benjamite.

Whoever wrote Samuel said the Lord repented of having made Saul king. Very nice sounding, but when it comes to planning the lineage for your only begotton Son, God would make sure that the line went through Judah.

Blessings,

Forrest

2007/4/27 9:08Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
JaySaved on 2007/4/26 21:42:27
Wow, Ron. That is a lot to process, but very interesting.

If you tried to 'process' it and struggled this pdf might help. Some years ago I did 14 'studies' on tracing the Seed in the Old Testament. This is the notes to No 9 and is entitled [url=http://mp3.biblebase.com/workmanworkshops/The%20Seed_09.PDF]"a man of rest and a house of rest"[/url]. You might find it easier to print them out so that you can compare the genealogies side by side.

You'll find the rest of the series [url=http://wiki.biblebase.com/index.php/Old_Testament_Introduction.]here.[/url]

I want to re-scan these documents and get the audio in place 'when I have time...' :-)

2007/4/27 9:09Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
If you tried to 'process' it and struggled this pdf might help. Some years ago I did 14 'studies' on tracing the Seed in the Old Testament. This is the notes to No 9 and is entitled "a man of rest and a house of rest"

I sure hope [u]all[/u] of these various resources you have become available at some point. Like a free bible college education or something.

2007/4/27 12:31Profile

UWR wrote

Quote:
Anna, her mother was either the sister or cousin of Elizabeth. Most probably the sister, since the angel doesn't go into geneologies, and Mary would then be the neice by marriage of Zacharias.

Is this connection in scripture?

2007/4/27 15:20

UWR asked

Quote:
Isn't it odd to find Mary going to Elizabeth, or that Elzabeth's son would be Mary son's prophet?

I don't think so, because Aaron had been the mouthpiece for Moses (both of Levi through both parents).

Not so long ago I noticed that the 'priest', Aaron, was the elder brother. (I know Miriam was older than both of them) but what struck me was that the first son (first birth) received the priesthood and the second son, the role of leader; corresponding to the necessity of the flesh to be brought under the leadership of the Spirit. (Just a thought.)

John 11:47 - 52
Then the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered a council and said, "What shall we do? For this Man works many signs. If we let Him alone like this, everyone will believe in Him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and nation."

And one of them, Caiaphas, [u]being high priest that year[/u], said to them, "You know nothing at all, nor do you consider that it is expedient for us that one man should die for the people, and not that the whole nation should perish."

Now this he did not say on his own [i]authority;[/i] [u]but being high priest that year [b]he prophesied[/b][/u] that Jesus would die for the nation, and not for that nation only, but also that He would gather together in one the children of God who were scattered abroad.

So, that John the Baptist was of the sons of Aaron, speaks for itself. And that Jesus' grandmother was also, is significant, if Mary's mother was a daughter of Aaron by birth.

Jesus was Priest and King both physically and spiritually, then.

2007/4/27 15:37

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy