SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : God and the accuser wager over Job's life

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
romanchog

God and the accuser wager over Job's life

Someone I love dearly is struggling with his faith. He is asking a lot of questions that show he is doubting who God is.

One thing that has been bothering this person is how God basically used Job as a pawn. God made a wager with the accuser and basically destroyed Job's life. That seems rather unfair and unjust.

I don't have an answer. I have looked online and honestly I didn't find a satisfactory answer. Mostly I feel it is not addressed. The common idea that is stated is that while it seems that God is wagering with the accuser, there is more going on. But the question isn't really answered.

I myself trust God's goodness and mercy so for me this is not a struggle; it just shows me I don't understand God. But for someone who doesn't trust God, I can see why there would be an issue.

If anyone can provide some explanation or any resources that I can use or pass along I would greatly appreciate it. Video formats are better for this person.

Prayer is also welcome because ultimately it is the Holy Spirit that will convict him.

Thank you.
Natalie

2020/1/11 10:09Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: God and the accuser wager over Jon's life

There is a lot of strangeness in the “set-up” of Job. There’s no way to know what exactly was going on or even IF it was actually going on.

Bottom line, however, is that your friend should be a disciple of Jesus, not Job.

Job is the question— Jesus is the answer.

If there appear to be inconsistencies because of our limited understanding, ALWAYS look to Jesus. Hebrews 1:3.

2020/1/11 12:34Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Maybe what we don't see are God's secret thoughts in the story. His love would say I'm going to bless Job more if he gets through this and obeys me.
It's just something I have heard from others how they went through a difficult time at one point in their life

2020/1/11 13:01Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

A righteous man like Job who suffers injustice that God allowed and even planned for so that that righteous man could be tested whether he would remain faithful to God, conquer temptation, the world, his flesh and Satan so that he could see God. That sounds vaguely familiar.

All God's people suffer to differing degrees in the same manner, testing their faith, conquering the world, the flesh and Satan ultimately to one day receive the crown of life and a vision of their God.

That form of narrow path and hard road to God is not hard to understand. Difficult to do of course. Necessary? Only Jesus' words suffice to answer. "If there is any other way Father". Apparently not. All things are designed for our good. Can't argue with "all things" and "designed".

2020/1/11 16:14Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I view Job's story as an illustration of what life is like, explains the trials we have, how and why they happen. The end result of being blessed financially like Job may not always happen to people who are faithful.

If you study the book carefully, you will find questions common to people who experiences difficulties in life. Before our daughter was diagnosed with glioblastoma I was led to study Job....I got weary of it after several chapters because of those friends who kept pestering Job with the same questions, kept going long after they made their point - lots of circular reasoning - bored me stiff. BUT I got the point. Then Regina got sick and died later. I can look back at this point in time as the hand of God leading me to learn a few things about God and among them is that some things won't make sense and I do not have to know why He is allowing it - just trust Him anyways.

In reality, the rest of the Scripture proves this very point, as well. Consider the life of Joseph and later the Exodus. All these trials as recorded in Exodus can be summed up as stated in Exodus 20:20: "Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid; for God has come in order to test you, and in order that the fear of Him may remain with you, so that you may not sin." NASB

I suggest you tell your friend to study carefully the life of the patriarchs, go on through to the Israelites entering into Canaan and read Joshua. All the while imagine being there with them, participating in that journey. It may help to get a good Bible atlas like Holman Bible Atlas to help you get a sense of distance and place. These are real people you are studying - don't forget that. Also note the time between events - this is very important. All the while ask the LORD to reveal what it is He wants you to learn. The scriptures are super rich in insights - no other piece of literature can equal it. None.

God bless.

Sandra

2020/1/11 16:52Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

Hi Ginny, While it is true that God more than restored Job's temporal situation which is comforting from an OT perspective, that does not always happen in this life in the Kingdom of God. However, what was lost on me in the Job story until this thread made me consider it is that Job got to "see" God. To me, that grace given to a bankrupt follower of God far surpasses any temporal gain God would also give Job. Job's vision of God was an unimaginable blessing to Job that arguably would not have occurred unless Job had faithfully continued to worship God no matter what Satan threw at him.

2020/1/11 17:00Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

2020/1/11 17:05Profile
Elibeth

Natalie,
I do not know if this will help, as I know that one cannot come to God except He draw them through His Grace, but The Lord does draw ones though God who is working in a person, which after watching dozens of this man’s messages believe God is truly working in him.... a modern day Paul that God has gave great insight into The Life and knowledge of God.

I watched this today , and you came to mind.
It blessed me.
I pray it helps.
——————
“Understanding The God Who Has Spoken”
By Gbile Akanni

https://youtu.be/aaUMyuhiEPA
——————-
elizabeth

2020/1/12 0:19Profile
Jeremy221

Re: God and the accuser wager over Job’s life

He has misunderstood what God was doing with Job. An important principle to understand why what happened happened is issue of hope. Not just mere natural aspiration and fleshly ambition but true biblical hope.

Let’s look at the example of the stewardship of God given talents. In Matthew 25, we have the parable of the talents. The lord was gone for an extended time and the servants were responsible to use and invest the talents on his behalf. The lord didn’t expect the servants to feed and house themselves. He provided for their needs and made them responsible for a portion of his wealth to invest it and be fruitful. When the master returned, the neither the talent nor the increase were the servants’. Yet their needs were taken care of every day. The one who was responsible for the single talent was provided for just as much as the one with five. But the kicker is that the profits from the talents were a trial for the real reward responsibility for multiple cities and all the honor provisions that brings with it. So did the servants keep the talents they had earned? No, most certainly not. They were given something much better.

The one who did not receive the greater blessing was the one who complained and called his master stingy and unfair. His master had taken care of him.

The earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof. Really? What’s the implication? What does anyone actually own? Job understood this and when the Lord revealed Himself in Job 40-41 that Job’s mouth was stopped. Even righteous Job saw his inadequacy and sin.

2020/1/12 4:00Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 ***If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children***, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
Luke 11:11-13

2020/1/12 8:10Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy