SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : MUST READ: Hell and Everlasting Punishment (article series)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Isaiah64

Re:

Great stuff! And absolutely necessary for every Christian to learn...This is not something we hear a lot of in our pulpits nowadays.

I have a suggestion...it may be a good idea to compile a list of audio sermons on hell/the judgment...I don't know if it's been done before, I tried to look for one but couldn't find any. Perhaps on this thread or we could start a new one. I know it would be a valuable resource for all of us. So far I know only David Wilkerson and Spurgeon's message. Anyone know of any other audio messages?

2008/6/3 18:17Profile
peteofnewcov

Weymouth, England

Re:

I certainly believe in hell, and the neglect of its mention is undoubtedly a problem when you have a generation of people longing for God, but believing there is no punishment. There is no point in the Salvation, the indwelling of the Spirit, the redemption of our lives and our sanctification on earth if our position before the throne of judgement is not changed.

My question however, is: Are we called to preach hell?

I suppose in a broad sense you could absorb it into preaching the Kingdom of God, but I can't find an agreement within me that says we must stand and describe how awful torment will be for those who will not repent.

2008/6/19 6:23Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Well, pete, let's look at what scriptures say.

Here is John the Baptist speaking before Jesus begins His ministry.

Matt 3v7, '...brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?'

That scripture is repeated again in Luke 3v8.

What wrath is he talking about here?

Romans 1v18, 'For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness.'

In the book of Revelation, we see God's wrath revealed upon the earth.

In Revelation 20v15, we are told anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

If we are saved, and want people to be saved, what are we being saved from?

Just some thoughts.

2008/6/19 7:58Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

Re:

I don't see why we should not preach hell. When a preacher does not preach hell a nation and a people go to Hell!!!!

Jesus preached about Hell. Mark 9:43-48 Matthew 18:8-9 Luke 16:19-31 Matthew 25:41 and more.

Eternal Judgement is one of the 6 principle or foundational doctrines of Christ called Eternal Judgement Hebrews 6:1-2. What happens when a house does not have a foundation, or a strong foundation. Well it falls when a man professes christ and does not have this foundational principle of Eternal Judgement established in his life often times he plays with sin and does not see the exceeding sinfulness of his sin. So we need to preach Hell not because of what I said, but because the master Jesus himself preached it and warned men about this dreadful place and it's final destination The lake of fire. :-)

2008/6/19 8:52Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
My question however, is: Are we called to preach hell?

I would like to ask another question: since hell is no longer preached, what has happened to the spiritual climate in the church?

ginnyrose

2009/7/19 19:51Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Another question is, does the church even have a climate, or does it just mimic everything the world does?

Monkey see, monkey do.

However, as the word of God tells us, we are to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, Philppians 2v12.

The days grow so short, and yet...

2010/2/8 9:54Profile
Galations220

Re:

yes the church has a climate, and the world is affected by it. The condition of our nation is because of the failure on the church's part. Hell and the holiness of God hasn't been preached and church people have no fear of God and therefore the climate of the church has gone down and therefore the nation has gone down and now as you have said the church has began to mimic the world.

2010/3/18 13:55Profile
itg3712

Re:

In evangelism, some are reached with compassion and others with fearful warnings.

As the Book of Jude declares:

"And of some have compassion...And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire..."

Godly living regularly requires suffering. If we want to love like Jesus did we ought to acknowledge that the great expression of the love of the Lord was the cross. On the cross, Jesus suffered greatly as He expressed His love. 1 Corinthians 13 teaches that "Love suffers long" (and is kind).

2010/4/20 23:15Profile

Re: MUST READ: Hell and Everlasting Punishment (article series)

Thank you Greg for all the time and effort put into this.

This is all excellent food for thought and even better cannon fodder.

There is always one passage that stays fixed in this mind regarding the end of the godly and the ungodly, and it works well in witnessing regarding Jesus return to rule with a rod of iron. It's the last two verses of Isaiah.

Too many of those who claim to believe fail to consider the fact of the end of this cosmos, for the believer and unbeliever alike:

Our God is a consuming fire, and Jesus pulled no punches regarding this issue in stating, "everyone will be salted with fire."

Who will stand?

In these very end times now coming upon the whole earth, it is wish that all people reading this will heed these words of adminition.

The scriptures tell us all we need to know.

Isaiah 33:
14 The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?

15 He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly; he that despiseth the gain of oppressions, that shaketh his hands from holding of bribes, that stoppeth his ears from hearing of blood, and shutteth his eyes from seeing evil;

16 He shall dwell on high: his place of defence shall be the munitions of rocks: bread shall be given him; his waters shall be sure.

17 Thine eyes shall see the king in his beauty...

...and again:

PSALM 14
To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.

1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.

3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

4 Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the LORD.

5 There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous.

6 Ye have shamed the counsel of the poor, because the LORD is his refuge.

7 Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion! when the LORD bringeth back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad.

PSALM 15
A Psalm of David.

1 LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?

2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.

3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.

4 In whose eyes a vile person is despised; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.

5 He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

In closing, a real boost comes up inside when brother Paul Washer is heard proclaiming God.
(thanks for all the recordings.)
Two statements of his shout through this consciousness after reading through your compilated work on hell's everlasting punishment, and what has just been revealed (above), and, so it is quoted:

"Everybody wants to go to heaven...
They just don't want God to be there."
&
"Be afraid...
BE VERY AFRAID..."

Whether sinner or saint, we will all encounter fire, as our God is a consuming fire.

Who will stand in this?
Is 30:33
Mk. 9:49

How about a little ditty remembered?

"Only one life
Twill soon be past:
Only what's done in Christ
Will last.

May God bless us all
with insight
into His will
and His ways.

Jn. 3:36ESV

CIAO!
g
Acts 20:32

2010/4/21 7:51
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Just thought I would add to your list 1 Corinthians 3:12-14

"If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. 14If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward."

Our quality will be tested and like you said who can/will stand?

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/4/21 8:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy