Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Judging prophecies

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Judging prophecies

Greetings dear brothers and sisters!

I have a question based on 1 Corinthians 14:29.
"Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge."

How do we exactly judge a prophecy? And what should we do when we realize that a certain prophecy is not from God but from man?

Let me say, what I have seen so far in Scripture:

1. God speaks to His people even nowadays (New-Testament-days) through prophecies. (Acts 2)
2. Someone's calling to ministry could be confirmed through prophecy (Acts 22:13-16; 13:2,3; 1 Timothy 1:18)
3. Someone can receive a gift of the Spirit through prophecy (1 Timothy 4:14)
4. Prophecies about future events (Аcts 11:28; 21:11)
5. The purpose of prophecy: edification, and exhortation, and comfort (1 Cor 14:3)

The prophecies through Agabus did not contain any instructions on what they should do with the information they receive from God. Therefore some people argue that directive prophecy is not from God i.e. a true prophet would never tell me "Go here or there!" or "Do this and that!" because God can personally speak to all true believers.

Now I believe, based on the commission of Paul and Barnabas through prophecy / revelation, that God can give instructions through prophecy. But I want to be very careful, when somebody comes and says "You should do this or that" - when God has not spoken to me about it.

"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God." (1 John 4:1)

So, how do we judge prophecies?

Thanks for your responses in advance!

P.S. Edit for clarification.

2018/8/2 16:54Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re: Judging prophecies

I think the literal meaning of the word judge in that verse means to Discern.
People would know in their spirit if it was from God.

2018/8/3 6:30Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I agree David. I can sense in my “gut” when something is “on” or “off” and I trust it.

Some would say this is rather subjective, and it may be. But if everyone else is “drinking the Koolaid” and I have red flags shooting up all over the place, I ain’t drinking it.

2018/8/3 7:17Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Good question and topic for discussion.

All prophesy must line up with the Word of God.

The Holy Spirit will bear witness in our spirit whether a prophesy is of God or not.

No human vessel is perfect, but I would only receive a prophetic Word from a brother or sister that is living a godly life.

“Now I believe, based on the commission of Paul and Barnabas through prophecy / revelation, that God can give instructions through prophecy. But I want to be very careful, when somebody comes and says "You should do this or that" - when God has not spoken to me about it.”

Amen! The Holy Spirit will always confirm a true personal prophesy.

As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him. (1 John 2:27)

2018/8/3 8:30Profile
dspks

Dakotas

“Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.”
1 Corinthians 13:8, KJV.

Fail: katargew katargeo kat-arg-eh'-o

1) to render idle, unemployed, inactivate, inoperative
1a) to cause a person or thing to have no further efficiency
1b) to deprive of force, influence, power
2) to cause to cease, put an end to, do away with, annul, abolish
2a) to cease, to pass away, be done away
2b) to be severed from, separated from, discharged from, loosed from any one
2c) to terminate all intercourse with one

Knowing (from the Word of God) that prophecies shall fail...

I tend to lean toward NOT to put much stock in believing ANY current "revelations" or "prophecies" proclaimed by men or women today.

I DO believe in "signs of the times"... but, when people actually predict specific events.... I tend to sit back and relax in the Lord.

No one can fault someone who simply sticks with the prophecies clearly stated in Scripture.

2018/8/3 16:25Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

I do believe that the meaning of 'judge' in this context means discern.

Quote:
People would know in their spirit if it was from God.

Amen! Sounds so simple, but I believe it's true!

@AbideinHim
Brother Mike, I agree that prophecy must line up with the Word of God and that it comes through sanctified vessels. I don't know about your experience but sometimes you do not know the believer personally and are not able to know what kind of life he/she lives. And sometimes you cannot really discern trough the Scriptures because of the manner of prophecy.

Perhaps I am still 'child in understanding' but one thing I put my trust in: God is my Father and when He speaks through prophecy to me, He is going to speak so that I can understand Him. I don't mean audible understanding but rather grasping what He is saying!

Or is it possible to receive prophecy from God, the meaning of which you don't understand?

2018/8/3 17:17Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re: dspks

Quote:
No one can fault someone who simply sticks with the prophecies clearly stated in Scripture

The Lord knows your heart. It is right to stick with the prophecies written in the Holy Scriptures, but that does not mean that therefore there are no more prophets in our days. It is important to remember that in 1 Cor 13 Paul speaks: These things will vanish, when the kingdom of God comes - 'that which is perfect'.

See verse 9, 10, 12

"For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."
1 Corinthians 13:9‭-‬10, 12

We have not yet arrived at this "then". And till then we will know in part, will prophecy in part etc.

2018/8/3 17:30Profile
dspks

Dakotas

Re: "then"

A humble question:

Who told you we have not yet arrived at this "then"?

2018/8/3 17:34Profile
zechariahks

Seattle, WA, USA

I too believe that the word judge here could be "discern"..

The one is prophesying might not know full details of the person what he is going through, etc., When other discern the prophecy, it has to be aligned with the Word of God and should be applicable to that person.

I personally believe one has to receive confirmation through God's word or through Holy Spirit's guidance before he/she can actually act on it.

2018/8/3 17:59Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//but, when people actually predict specific events.... I tend to sit back and relax in the Lord.//

We are not talking about predictive prophecies here, at least I am not. We are talking about a prophetic forthtelling either in a group or one on one setting.

2018/8/3 18:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy