SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Who are the Prophets?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I want to steer this post a little more to my OP. My intent is not in the direction of looking for Prophets of God today for that Word. It is more geared toward those who come forward saying ...........ie. Hurricane so and so is a judgment of God and some of those folks who say it do it as if they are a Prophet of God. Are they Prophets of God?

That is a good question. The word of a prophet or of any other believer for that matter must be in agreement with the explicitly stated word of God. We read in scripture of the judgement of God that is coming on this earth. One little hurricane that hits one region pales in comparison to the judgement that we read is coming. I wonder if anyone can demonstrate through scripture that, under the new covenant, storms and natural disasters are sent by God as judgement? I fully realize that these are signs, creation groaning and travailing. I realize that the frequency and intensity of these things will increase, and are increasing, near the coming of the Lord. But this is not the same as judgement.

Another thing I wonder about and have to consider is why judgement from God would target one area when there are other areas where the amount and level of sin seems so much worse. A hurricane in the gulf of Mexico is totally normal. What would happen if a full fledged hurricane were to strike Amsterdam, Holland for example? Now that would leave no doubt in my mind.

I am just not sold. I believe we are seeing an increase of disasters, but that was prophesied scripturally. But I don't believe the hurricane that hit Texas or Florida was the judgement of God. I think it was just one more sign of a world system (weather included) that has been corrupted by sin and is groaning and travailing, awaiting the manifestation of the son's of God.

2017/9/21 10:02Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Luke 21:
10 Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:

11 And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.

12 But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.
( something I noticed here is it says that persecution will arise before these wars and disaster happen? Or am I missing something)

Matthew 24:
10 Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:

11 And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.

These are just a few references in scripture to natural disasters. It doesn't say whether they, or some of them, become judgments of God but suggest that they will just happen.

We have an earthquake in Mexico. Any 'Prophets of God' talking about it? Major hurricane hits PR which is already bankrupt. Prophets of God come forward and speak your peace.........I say this sarcastically. I really wish there were prophets of God today but I don't think scripture exhorts that in the NT. We exhorted to study to show ourselves approve by rightly dividing the scriptures to test all things and also be taught by preachers and evangelist for the building up of the saints.

2017/9/21 11:31Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: Explain more how you are a prophet and what God is calling you to prophesy.

For me it started when I was 15, my Mother came in to my bedroom and said God wants you to know something..

"He has chosen you"

In the morning I went down stairs and asked my Mother what does he want me to do "your a prophet"

Moving on 7 years I decided to attend a church meeting; I walked in into the meeting and the visiting preacher got up and declared from this "night a prophet will arise"

The visiting preacher went on to preach but I didn't hear the preacher I heard the Spirit of God speaking to me about my life...

The next day I went to the church and got the tape named The Joshua people - a victorious people.

Has my ministry started nope: it's not my time yet and I wait for the right time - when he says go I will go.

What God is calling you to prophesy - Well I must be careful here as it yet not my time, but I don't mind telling you it's in the name and a scripture; that will give you an idea the weight of responsibility I carry.

Colin - victorious people
Murray - by the sea

Rev 15:2 And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire; and them that come off victorious from the beast, and from his image, and from the number of his name, standing by the sea of glass, having harps of God. ASV

Please pray for me.

2017/9/21 11:45Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Quote:

Reply To This Post |
Quote: Explain more how you are a prophet and what God is calling you to prophesy.

For me it started when I was 15, my Mother came in to my bedroom and said God wants you to know something..

"He has chosen you"

In the morning I went down stairs and asked my Mother what does he want me to do "your a prophet"

Moving on 7 years I decided to attend a church meeting; I walked in into the meeting and the visiting preacher got up and declared from this "night a prophet will arise"

The visiting preacher went on to preach but I didn't hear the preacher I heard the Spirit of God speaking to me about my life...

The next day I went to the church and got the tape named The Joshua people - a victorious people.

Has my ministry started nope: it's not my time yet and I wait for the right time - when he says go I will go.

What God is calling you to prophesy - Well I must be careful here as it yet not my time, but I don't mind telling you it's in the name and a scripture; that will give you an idea the weight of responsibility I carry.

Colin - victorious people
Murray - by the sea

Rev 15:2 And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire; and them that come off victorious from the beast, and from his image, and from the number of his name, standing by the sea of glass, having harps of God. ASV

Please pray for me.

You are basing all of this because your mom told you this when you were 15 and then going to a church service a pastor says there is a prophet among us?

Do you believe that is how God works in calling someone to be a prophet? I seen this kind of thing alot in pentecostal circles. If you go to charisma mag you will find articles of people who claim to be prophets with similar stories.

My advice is do not be snared into believing you are a prophet because your mom said you were be by 'thus sayeth God' or a preacher said you would.

Is there a scenario in scripture in which someone was called to be a prophet and new it before God used him as a prophet?

2017/9/22 14:10Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: You are basing all of this because your mom told you this when you were 15

Are you for real?

Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear. But the angel said to him: “Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John. He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born. He will bring back many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God. And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the parents to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

John the Baptist at the start would have based his calling on what his Father and Mother told him. John's Father and Mother would have been very careful to insure that John from a very young age would have known the calling on his life.

Quote: Is there a scenario in scripture in which someone was called to be a prophet and new it before God used him as a prophet?

Elisha called

Also, anoint Jehu son of Nimshi king over Israel, and anoint Elisha son of Shaphat from Abel Meholah to succeed you as prophet. 1 Kings 19:16

So off he goes to find Elisha..

So Elijah went from there and found Elisha son of Shaphat. He was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen, and he himself was driving the twelfth pair. Elijah went up to him and threw his cloak around him. 1 Kings 19:19

---------

Edit to say you should read the thread Preparing another Generation of Leaders & Shepherds by Zac Poonen.

Timothy’s grandmother Lois was the first person that came to faith in that family (2 Timothy 1:5). His grandmother transmitted her faith to his mother, Eunice – and she transmitted it to Timothy. That grandmother gave faith to her daughter, not Scripture-knowledge. And that mother passed on that faith to Timothy.

2017/9/22 18:56Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Quote:

Are you for real?

Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear. But the angel said to him: “Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John. He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born. He will bring back many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God. And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the parents to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

John the Baptist at the start would have based his calling on what his Father and Mother told him. John's Father and Mother would have been very careful to insure that John from a very young age would have known the calling on his life.

Do you really believe John's parents told him who he was going to be? You are putting that into the text. It is called eisegesis. There is no account in which his parents said anything about John being a messenger.

Quote:

Quote: Is there a scenario in scripture in which someone was called to be a prophet and new it before God used him as a prophet?

Elisha called

Also, anoint Jehu son of Nimshi king over Israel, and anoint Elisha son of Shaphat from Abel Meholah to succeed you as prophet. 1 Kings 19:16

So off he goes to find Elisha..

So Elijah went from there and found Elisha son of Shaphat. He was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen, and he himself was driving the twelfth pair. Elijah went up to him and threw his cloak around him. 1 Kings 19:19

The text doesn't say much about Elisha knowing he was going to be a prophet. It was only Eljah being given that knowledge but then if you look at the whole picture are there other scenarios in which a person knows they will be a prophet?

What type of church do you belong to?
---------
Quote:

Edit to say you should read the thread Preparing another Generation of Leaders & Shepherds by Zac Poonen.

Timothy’s grandmother Lois was the first person that came to faith in that family (2 Timothy 1:5). His grandmother transmitted her faith to his mother, Eunice – and she transmitted it to Timothy. That grandmother gave faith to her daughter, not Scripture-knowledge. And that mother passed on that faith to Timothy.
[/quote}

When the word 'leaders' appear into church stuff I see it more as a word dealing with jobs and corporations. There is nothing in scripture which speaks to leaders in church unless you wish to say they are our pastors/shepherds, evangelists and deacon. I will look at the thread you mentioned just to see what is going on there.

btw, the Timothy reference you brought up. That is speaking about discipleship. Did Timothy become a prophet?

2017/9/24 17:37Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: Do you really believe John's parents told him who he was going to be? You are putting that into the text. It is called eisegesis.

John was to be a perpetual Nazarite consecrated as such by his parents from birth, at the start it was the parents who were going to be responsible to ensure that this vow was to be kept until John was capable of understanding the vow and calling of God on his life.

That's why I believe John's parents told him who he was going to be.

Quote: What type of church do you belong to?

I don't go to church

Quote: The text doesn't say much about Elisha knowing he was going to be a prophet.

Remember that God had instructed Elijah to go and find Elisha, so that he could anoint him to be his successor. And because of this, we can only assume that God had already spoken with Elisha, when it came to his calling that was about to take place from within his life. Now with that being said, I personally believe that regardless, Elisha would have been already waiting for the prophet to show up, therefore, confirming God's Word.

2017/9/30 12:01Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Quote:

by murrcolr on 2017/9/30 12:01:53

Quote: Do you really believe John's parents told him who he was going to be? You are putting that into the text. It is called eisegesis.

John was to be a perpetual Nazarite consecrated as such by his parents from birth, at the start it was the parents who were going to be responsible to ensure that this vow was to be kept until John was capable of understanding the vow and calling of God on his life.

That's why I believe John's parents told him who he was going to be.

Quote: What type of church do you belong to?

I don't go to church

Quote: The text doesn't say much about Elisha knowing he was going to be a prophet.

Remember that God had instructed Elijah to go and find Elisha, so that he could anoint him to be his successor. And because of this, we can only assume that God had already spoken with Elisha, when it came to his calling that was about to take place from within his life. Now with that being said, I personally believe that regardless, Elisha would have been already waiting for the prophet to show up, therefore, confirming God's Word.

I don't have enough history to make a case for this but my idea is that with John whether or not his parents informed me of who he was he would not have gone after that calling unless God did something in his life. Today, if someone says such a thing to someone they begin to run with it saying I am 'such and such' because someone told me God told them I was type of thing. Scripture doesn't record such a thing about that.

I don't know about the case with Elijah.

You said you don't go to church. Can you explain more about that?

What is your personal thinking regarding you being told that you are a prophet or are going to be a prophet? For the most part Prophets of God were not schooled in this. God called them. in the NT prophets are near existent. Would you say you would be the first NT prophet or are their others as well?

2017/10/5 9:43Profile
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re: Prophets

When the two witnesses arrive they will reveal what's going to happen, just as Jesus and John did 2000 years ago.

2017/10/5 13:22Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Quote:

When the two witnesses arrive they will reveal what's going to happen, just as Jesus and John did 2000 years ago.

We may not be alive when that happens so the post doesn't really add anything constructive to the thread.

2017/10/5 18:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy