SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Who are the Prophets?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Jeremy221

Re: Biographia Scoticana (Scot's Worthies) by John Howie

I would also suggest looking at the Scot's Worthies, also called the Biographia Scoticana by John Howie which details the early years of the Presbyterian church. You can download it as a PDF or listen to it as an audiobook from SermonAudio. Here's a link to the first section:

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=9702105842

After the group becomes more institutionalized, the testimony is much more dry history.

2017/9/19 0:32Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

I think sometimes the way we ask a question can lead us to a particular answer. The question, if I understand it correctly, is basically this. If there are modern day prophets, who are they and where are they?

First, the OT prophets. There are perhaps two dozen or so that are recorded in scripture. Noah is among that list. So, we see that in approx. 4000 years we have somewhere near two dozen, or one appearing, on average, every 170 years or so. But we know that the prophets came in clusters. For example, most of the OT prophets were in the period between Saul's kingship and the final dispersion of Israel and Judah into captivity. A very short time span.

Second, the OT prophets had a very specific purpose from God. They were His mouthpieces to the nation of Israel. What they wrote down was intended, by God, to be recorded as the word of God. We still benefit from this today. Nothing they said is totally irrelevant to us today. In fact, much of it is still very applicable and some totally relevant to our time period. But the only reason we know who they were is because God intended for them specifically to write down what they were given by Him.

Third, the majority of the known world did not even know these prophets existed. What they wrote was to a specific people at a specific time.

My point in these three statements is as follows.

In the NT we find certain prophets and teachers gathering and ordaining Paul and Barnabus for apostleship. We have no extant writings from these prophets. We do not see them foretelling the future for the purpose of being recorded and passed to us as scripture. We simply see mention that they were prophets. Another is Agabus who foretold Paul's arrest and captivity. His prophesy is recorded only as a historical fact, not for us, but for Paul in that time.

Prophets did not only foretell future events. Much of what the OT prophets said was about God's feelings toward Israel and what they were doing.

If there were modern day prophets, I would not necessarily expect to know who they were except in a local sense through personal interaction with these men. God sent specific prophets over 4000 years, mainly focused on a brief period of history, to serve to record His message to us in scripture. They are known through their writings. But the canon is complete. Modern prophets would necessarily serve a slightly different function in the body, and would not be known through their writings.

So I think the question begs the answer. But if we asked the question a different way, we might get a different answer. I know a few men who I would call modern day prophets. They always seem to carry the right now word of the Lord. They spend copious amounts of time in His presence, and have a gift of prayer like I have never seen on other man. I have seen them continually say, "This is what God is saying to the body right now..." and they have been proven to be spot on every time. So perhaps the question should be this.

Do any of us know men who carry, consistently and accurately, the right now word of God to the body? Do any of us know men to whom God gives these words regularly and who deliver them boldly?

I know of at least two, and I believe, although they would never proclaim themselves prophets, that these men are indeed.

2017/9/19 12:00Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Quote:

John, do you believe Christians should be getting into public debates with folks like, Nye, who is an agnostic? I personally think this can be dangerous to someone that's young in Christ, and also some folks seeking more knowledge of Jesus Christ. In my opinion, I think these type debates can confuse some more than help, maybe not but I just don't know.

I don't see the harm in it unless the Christian is not prepared.I wonder did the early church fathers debate with anyone?

2017/9/19 15:45Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Who are the prophets of God?

This is not an attack on the O.P. or an attack on meaningful questions.

however...

This is like asking who are the apostles, who are the evangelists who are the pastors and teachers?

In the end, God has provided you with an abundance of biblical resources, an abundance of sermons, and abundance of opportunities to learn from each other.

I see this is a complete waste of time and a display of flesh. Why? Because so what if you find a prophet and so what if you find an apostle or evangelist.
So what if you find someone who fits neatly into a theological box you've created.
I seriously do not believe for a second Jesus is going to ask you " did you find your prophet? or did you find your apostle" ? and when you did or didn't, did you love more? Did you serve more? Did you give more? Did you sacrifice more? As I conformed you into my image by my Spirit was it by the cross you carried or the issues you settled in debate? Was it the lost you loved and served or was it categorizing who is and who isn't validated by your litmus tests?

My brother and sisters, we all talk like we are on the ball, but sometimes its seems as if we are not even in the game.

2017/9/19 19:02Profile
savannah

Re: fleshly waste?

One has said, of this thread...

"I see this is a complete waste of time and a display of flesh."

But...

Jesus asked, Do you love me?

Peter answered, yes!

Jesus said, then feed my sheep!

Fleshly waste is not appetizing. But when Truth comes forth from the ashes of lies, it's very appetizing for the sheep.

Also, all the artificial flavors and colors can kill. So it is a good thing to put the warning labels on the canned processed fruit.

Good thread!

Good eatin!

2017/9/19 21:37Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Savannah: we have a difference of opinion on what is good eatin.

Could you do us all a favor stop implying a difference of opinion means " I am not real sheep because I don't agree with the flavor or tenor of this thread".

There is nothing spiritual, prophetic, mature or even Christian in those backhanded slaps.

Besides you could pull up a scripture to justify anything said in here and that's usually the case, but being right with your brothers and right in depiction of what is Godly and holy before God is another matter.

I'll leave you to your dinner.

2017/9/19 22:10Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Just want to throw this into the mix:

I am called to be a prophet; they say prophets are supposed be "God’s Mouthpieces"; but I am afraid that just scratching the surface of what a prophet is..

Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. Jer 1:5

I can understand this scripture more than most why because as God has been revealing things about what the message he wants to say through me I find that message is not only what I named ie; my first name but also my surname.

A prophet is more that just a "mouthpiece" a prophet is the message.

Look at John the Baptist - God’s herald of grace his name meant - God is gracious..

Lets look at an obscure prophet - Methuselah meaning - his death shall bring. Methuselah's father was given a prophecy of the coming Great Flood, and was apparently told that as long as his son was alive, the judgment of the flood would be withheld; but as soon as he died, the flood would be brought or sent forth.

But lets go deeper -

Adam: Man
Seth: Appointed
Enosh: Mortal
Kenan: Sorrow;
Mahalalel: The Blessed God
Jared: Shall come down
Enoch: Teaching
Methuselah: His death shall bring
Lamech: The Despairing
Noah :Rest, or comfort.

It's mind blowing and utterly remarkable:

Man (is) appointed mortal sorrow; (but) the Blessed God shall come down teaching (that) His death shall bring (the) despairing rest.

That's the Gospel message hidden within a names of his prophets in the genealogy in Genesis! That's what I mean that the prophet is more than just a mouth piece; the prophet is the message; but these group of prophets were each just a small part of a larger message and it lets us get a wonderful insight into how God operates with the oh so supernatural integration of his message through his messengers and time..

Truly, our God is an awesome God.

2017/9/20 16:33Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Quote:

Reply To This Post |
Who are the prophets of God?

This is not an attack on the O.P. or an attack on meaningful questions.

however...

This is like asking who are the apostles, who are the evangelists who are the pastors and teachers?

In the end, God has provided you with an abundance of biblical resources, an abundance of sermons, and abundance of opportunities to learn from each other.

I see this is a complete waste of time and a display of flesh. Why? Because so what if you find a prophet and so what if you find an apostle or evangelist.
So what if you find someone who fits neatly into a theological box you've created.
I seriously do not believe for a second Jesus is going to ask you " did you find your prophet? or did you find your apostle" ? and when you did or didn't, did you love more? Did you serve more? Did you give more? Did you sacrifice more? As I conformed you into my image by my Spirit was it by the cross you carried or the issues you settled in debate? Was it the lost you loved and served or was it categorizing who is and who isn't validated by your litmus tests?

My brother and sisters, we all talk like we are on the ball, but sometimes its seems as if we are not even in the game.

I want to steer this post a little more to my OP. My intent is not in the direction of looking for Prophets of God today for that Word. It is more geared toward those who come forward saying ...........ie. Hurricane so and so is a judgment of God and some of those folks who say it do it as if they are a Prophet of God. Are they Prophets of God?

I was reading an article about Nabeel's death and Montanism was brought up which could be the tag word for those today who speak as if they were Prophets.

Here is a link to them regarding early christian history.

http://www.earlychristianhistory.info/montanus.html

2017/9/21 9:01Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Quote:

Just want to throw this into the mix:

I am called to be a prophet; they say prophets are supposed be "God’s Mouthpieces"; but I am afraid that just scratching the surface of what a prophet is..

Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. Jer 1:5

I can understand this scripture more than most why because as God has been revealing things about what the message he wants to say through me I find that message is not only what I named ie; my first name but also my surname.

A prophet is more that just a "mouthpiece" a prophet is the message.

Look at John the Baptist - God’s herald of grace his name meant - God is gracious..

Lets look at an obscure prophet - Methuselah meaning - his death shall bring. Methuselah's father was given a prophecy of the coming Great Flood, and was apparently told that as long as his son was alive, the judgment of the flood would be withheld; but as soon as he died, the flood would be brought or sent forth.

But lets go deeper -

Adam: Man
Seth: Appointed
Enosh: Mortal
Kenan: Sorrow;
Mahalalel: The Blessed God
Jared: Shall come down
Enoch: Teaching
Methuselah: His death shall bring
Lamech: The Despairing
Noah :Rest, or comfort.

It's mind blowing and utterly remarkable:

Man (is) appointed mortal sorrow; (but) the Blessed God shall come down teaching (that) His death shall bring (the) despairing rest.

That's the Gospel message hidden within a names of his prophets in the genealogy in Genesis! That's what I mean that the prophet is more than just a mouth piece; the prophet is the message; but these group of prophets were each just a small part of a larger message and it lets us get a wonderful insight into how God operates with the oh so supernatural integration of his message through his messengers and time..

Truly, our God is an awesome God.

Explain more how you are a prophet and what God is calling you to prophesy.

2017/9/21 9:04Profile
Jeremy221

Re:

Perhaps a moment of investigation will reveal his purpose:

From Ancient Greek Νικόλαος (Nikólaos), from νίκη (níkē, “victory”) + λαός (laós, “people”)
- from Wiktionary.com

2017/9/21 9:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy