SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Who are the Prophets?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Who are the Prophets?

Who are the Prophets today? Are their prophets today? The bible says that God will not do anything except He first reveal it to His Prophets but has there been a Prophet of God since Jesus Ascension? I don't read of anything except for the yo yo's in the past 100 years coming to the forefront in pentecostal/charismatic circles as well as in the cults.

Whenever a natural disaster happens self proclaimed 'prophets' arise and say it is a judgment of God. How do they know this? Are they truly Prophets?

I don't think this is taught in churches these days but then again it is promoted heavily in the pentecostal and charismatic church. The difference there is that those group of people have no discernment at all. There are not rules when it comes to the Holy Spirit. THey promote spiritual anarchy which demonstrates that anyone there claiming to be a prophet is automatic false.

What are your thoughts?

2017/9/17 16:01Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: WHo are the Prophets?

John the only answer I can give is that I know them when I see/hear them.

I have not come across any "prophets" in my many years in Christendom but I have come across a few who are "prophetic." Not in the sense of foretelling but rather forthtelling and discernment, wisdom and exhortation.

2017/9/17 17:44Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

From the time of Jesus resurrection can you name any Prophets of God the last 2000 years?

2017/9/17 18:08Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

John Is this cynical post due to an eschatological view or just from some bitterness in you?

I don't see how you could ever learn from posting like this? Throwing rocks at the pentecostal/charismatics...really is that what superior spirituality looks like? What does carnality have over lack of discernment?

You need not answer me, I'm not interested in engaging what will quickly become a flesh-fight since its starting out that way.

2017/9/17 19:20Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

This post is due to me seeing many people who speak as if they are prophets or as if they know what God is doing as it relates to natural disasters. It got me thinking for a while and asking the question are there prophets today? Church history doesn't suggest any leader or any Christian as being a prophet since the resurrection of Jesus. Only in the last 100 years have we begun to see a rise in people claiming to prophesy but being found or following after a different God.

The bible talks about God revealing certain things by His Prophets before they happen in the OT but in the new testament it seems to hint at a change and church history seems to record this change subtly, to me at least.

Amos 3:7
“For the Lord GOD does nothing without revealing his secret to his servants the prophets.

Heb 1:2
God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds;

I throw rocks at charismatics because I was under that umbrella for some 9 years and I saw alot of things. I have an aunt who remains under that umbrella and talks as if Baptist't don't have the Holy Spirit. She subtle says this but I know what she

Anyway, I am not seeing prophets in church history so I am asking myself why are people so gullible to believe the report of someone who says they are speaking 'thus says the Lord'? I get gullible at times because I want to believe certain things but then I consult the scripture and I see something different and have to deal with it.

My post may seem cynical but it is also serious...............are there prophet or are there not prophets of God?

2017/9/17 19:37Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

I know if he were alive today he would deny that he was a prophet (he always called himself a "watchman"), but David Wilkerson. Read The Vision.

2017/9/17 22:31Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

Quote:
From the time of Jesus resurrection can you name any Prophets of God the last 2000 years?

"Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul." (Acts 13:1)

And if you ask, are there any prophets today? Yes! Because God says: "And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy..."

Whether I've seen a prophet - I don't know. But I am not so sure what exactly is a prophecy. I mean there is a gift of prophesy. But there is also one-time-revelations (if I can call this properly so), where the person receives a word, a revelation but is not an prophet (like Saul). And the word preached (from the pulpit) could be also prophetic for a certain person.

But if anybody more mature can share something, I would be glad.

2017/9/18 0:50Profile
Jeremy221

Re: Who are the Prophets?

Dear brother DEADn, I too have had this plea. A couple years ago a brother here on SI sent me a copy of a book about the history of the Church in Russia. What happened over the centuries is that God used brethren on fire for Him and willing to lay down their lives for the Truth to restore doctrines and realities of the Christian life lost to tradition. What does this mean for today? Well, it means that God is faithful to His word that those who diligently seek Him will find Him.

2017/9/18 7:58Profile
yuehan

Re:

Hey Jeremy221, I'm interested in the book you mentioned. What's the title?

2017/9/18 8:23Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Hebrews 1:1-2 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

"Hear ye Him"

Specifically by the "my Gospel" of Paul who has the words for salvation and life. Gospel? 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

I know no other words or way of prophecy for the Body of Christ His Church. "My Gospel", speaks of all that Jesus wants us to know about Himself and our salvation, whom the Holy Spirit through Paul and Jesus teaching Paul that Christ is in him.

Ro 2:16
In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
Ro 16:25
Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
1Co 9:17
For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

Galatians 1:15-16 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:

AS a prophet of man, I choose Paul of the truth of Eph 2: 8&9, Grace through Faith. Paul is my prophet, his prophet and teacher is Jesus Christ Himself and the Holy Spirit.

All that Paul says comes true, that is the test of a Prophet by whom we hear the Words of Jesus Christ Himself, as Prophet, Lord and Savior through our Teacher of This Christ, The Holy Spirit who also lives in me forever, which is a prophecy in itself.

In Christ by Him a son: Phillip

2017/9/18 8:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy