SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : God's Spoken Word.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Jeff wrote...

••• Jhn 1:9
That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

For the above Scripture to be true, Able would have to be the first prophet of God. For the Word gives light to every man that comes into the world. •••

Thanks bro. That is certainly something to chew on regarding your question. Indeed this Thread is still a work in process as I'm seeking to understand the spoken word.

Thank you so much for your thought and question.

Bro Blaine

2017/7/22 10:59

Re:

... You posted John 1:1, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

You spoke of working things out in this thread...

Scripture confirms Scripture...

Jhn 1:9
That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

For the above Scripture to be true, Able would have to be the first prophet of God. For the Word gives light to every man that comes into the world.

Just something to chew on...•••

In chewing on the above thoughts of our brother Jeff. I'm inclined to ask a controversial question ( who moi?). But one to stimulate some thinking. Does God speak outside of the written word of scripture in this day and age?

Bro Blaine

2017/7/22 11:05

Re:

Travus wrote...

•••Apart from the spoken word of God, the written word is simply words on a page. Remember Paul told us in 1 Cor. 2 that the natural man cannot receive the things of the Spirit of God for they are foolishness to him. When we attempt to understand the written word apart from the spoken word we wind up with a vain attempt to understand spiritual things with a corrupt, human intellect. We become hollow intellectuals who do not truly understand the things of the Spirit.•••

With this I would agree. I believe our brother has hit upon the heart of this thread.  Our brother, the Aposttle  Paul reminds us on 2 Cor. 3:2-3,

••• You are our letter, written in our hearts, known and read by all men, being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink but with the spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.•••

Paul goes on to say in the same chapter that God has made Paul and his team adequate as servants of a new covenant.  It is not a covenant of the letter of the law. But it is a covenant of the Spirit. He writes that the letter kills but the Spirit gives life (2 Cor. 3:6).

I am reminded of the words of Jesus out of John 6:63,

••• it is the Spirit who gives life, the flesh profits nothing, the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and our life.•••

I gather from the above that if Jesus does not speak His Word into our hearts by His Holy Spirit, they remain but words on the page. Dust of the non-believer the Bible is nothing more than just a book of words.

Simply my thoughts as this thread is still being fleshed out.

Bro Blaine

2017/7/22 11:11
proudpapa

Re:

When the Scripture is read without faith : "the Bible is nothing more than just a book of words."

When read by faith it becomes a living book.

The Key is Faith.

2017/7/22 11:35Profile
docs

Re:

And if the Spirit takes the written word and speaks it to our hearts how can a dedication to and faith in the written word be called biblolatry?

2017/7/22 11:42Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote br Blaine:"In chewing on the above thoughts of our brother Jeff. I'm inclined to ask a controversial question ( who moi?). But one to stimulate some thinking. Does God speak outside of the written word of scripture in this day and age? "

1. Concerning His universal and general will for mankind? Why should He?
He has spoken through His Son and we have His message
2. Specifically through gifts of the Holy Spirit in certain circumstances for guidance etc?
I believe yes.

2017/7/22 14:12Profile

Re:

PP writes

••• When the Scripture is read without faith : "the Bible is nothing more than just a book of words."

When read by faith it becomes a living book.

The Key is Faith. •••

And I would say the Holy Spirit that gives the faith for one to believe what they are reading is the Word of God. And the Holy Spirit quickening the word to their hearts.

Actually I think the key is the Holy Spirit.

My thoughts.

Bro Blaine

2017/7/22 14:46

Re:

David writes..

••• And if the Spirit takes the written word and speaks it to our hearts how can a dedication to and faith in the written word be called biblolatry? •••

I believe it becomes bibliolatry when the miniatry of the Holy Spirit is rejected and the written word is put in His place. We know that there are certain well-known Bible teachers who deny the ministry of the Holy Spirit and put emphasi upon the written word.

I cannot help but wonder if certain well-known Bible teachers would not truly believe that the Trinity is Holy Father, Holy Son, and Holy Bible, Thooigh they will they will pay lip service to the ministry of the Holy Spirit. in their hearts they do not believe in the ministry of the Holy Spirit.

I believe what I described above are those that would put the Bible in place of the Holy Spirit. This is where I believe in the hearts of certain Bible teachers and others who follow them where biblioltry occurs.

Again just my thoughts.

Bro Blaine

2017/7/22 14:50
docs

Re:

I can't recall any well known Bible teachers who deny the Holy Spirit's involvement in making the word real in our hearts.

2017/7/22 14:56Profile

Re:

David writes...

... I can't recall any well known Bible teachers who deny the Holy Spirit's involvement in making the word real in our hearts. •••

I have an idea of one or two. I just prefer not to mention their names. But no doubt God knows that there are those who deny the working of the Holy Spirit. And in their hearts elevate scripture on a par equal to the Holy Spirit.

Bro Blaine

2017/7/22 15:00

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy