SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Please don't get mad at me for this-

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
proudpapa

Re:

Darwin evolution was not a result of sincerely seeking truth by observation nor simply the logical result of observation.
Nor should we assume is the case with much of modern science.
As what the following details :

" In 1830 the English geologist Charles Lyell published the first of three books on geology, which still form the foundation of the discipline. Lyell basically excluded from his deliberations the possibility of such catastrophes [reported in the Bible as the flood.., which imply the supernatural involvement of God and which where unacceptable to the burgeoning scientism of the time. He]...attempted to explain the rise of different geological strata through processes which are still observable today...

Now it is a historical fact of considerable importance that these new insights were not essentially grounded in new scientific discoveries. These would come later, for when one is unconditionally bent on finding something, then sometimes often crops up which appears to be the thing being looked for.

The impetus for development of the evolutionary conception of geology was, then, philosophical deliberations. That is highly significant. The point of departure of this new outlook was not changes in facts but rather changes in the presuppositions with which the facts were regarded.

It was just the same with Charles Darwin, who as a young man read Lyell's books and found an indirect answer for a question which had exercised him greatly. For he refused to accept the assumption that all living things had come from God's creative act; yet he could not conceive of an alternative possibility. Now he became familiar with Lyells ideas. In them he found the notion that our world must be very old, for the gradual formation of the geological strata would obviously have required a great deal of time.

And it was precisely such long spans of time which Darwin would later require for his view of the origin of the species. For the development of life forms necessitated billions of years; otherwise Darwin's ideas would have been absurd from the start.

These notions exerted mutual influence on each other. Later Darwin Published his theory of evolution-likewise not essentially on the basis of new scientific discoveries, but rather based on philosophical considerations...14

He was looking for another solution to the problem of "the origin of life" for he did not want to believe any more in creation. He had a long period of doubting his faith between the ages of 22 and 29, and during this time he read an essay by the clergyman Thomas Robert Malthus on overpopulation.

Malthus taught that wars, famines, and epidemics were necessary, for that was the only way for overpopulation to be dealt with. there is said Malthus, a struggle for existence, the survival of the strongest or the fittest.

"And than it suddenly dawned on me," reported Darwin later. all at once he realized what the correct solution to his problem was. The next 20 years, until 1859, he spent gathering arguments for his new theory.

Do you see how Darwin's views originated ? Actually, it originated in the same manner that science in general operates. Science begins not so much with making observations and then constructing a theory. Rather, it begins with a conception, with an idea....

Perhaps you have the erroneous notion that scientist are entirely rational persons who function totally objectively, who gather and organize facts in an unbiased fashion. Well, Darwin is not the only one who operated as he did : all scientist employ these methods.15

W.J Ouweneel, Der Untergang des christlichen Abedlands (2d ed., Heykoop, The Netherlands, 1978) 25-30

add : as recorded in Eta Linnemann's book : Historical Criticism of the Bible Methodology or Ideology

2017/7/5 2:21Profile
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re:

I'm sorry for upsetting everyone. I sometimes forget about others feelings. I think I will stop writing anything for a while. I need some time in prayer and in the word. Forgive me

2017/7/5 18:33Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Roger, don't beat yourself up to bad, this is what a lot of threads here have led to lately, this place has really done a 180 since I joined. If the truth be known, a lot of us need to do what you said for a while.:-)

2017/7/5 19:34Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
"The impetus for development of the evolutionary conception of geology was, then, philosophical deliberations. That is highly significant. The point of departure of this new outlook was not changes in facts but rather changes in the presuppositions with which the facts were regarded."

I suspect this concept is true of any who would argue the irrelevancy of God's directives.

Sandra

2017/7/6 11:08Profile
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re:

Concerning creation since others mention it here, How easy it is to picture it with the earth being created first and fixed. Then build a firmament over it, set a light by day and one by night in it. I was out in my backyard the other day and saw the moon during the day and realized something; what's it doing inside the blue sky? Shouldn't it be way out there 240,000 miles away on the other side? I see airplanes in the sky at 30,000 feet and they are specks, yet here is the moon with size and even blue sky behind it.

Prayed much last night for forgiveness from being rude and testy, and God revealed to me that he was the source of truth, and not men. I think we should all pay more attention to what God says. Maybe we miss things.

Hope all of you have a great summer.

2017/7/6 11:12Profile
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re:

Was looking at the simplicity of creation as given.

Nothing but water.
God divided the water above and below with a firmament which is actually an enclosure.
Sun and moon placed in the firmament
Seas created and separated, land appears
Birds created and they too fly in the firmament, the same one that the moon and sun appear in.

Simple enough

2017/7/6 12:07Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

How high is the enclosure?

2017/7/6 12:21Profile
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re:

NASA knows.

2017/7/6 12:32Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

http://creation.mobi/refuting-flat-earth

2017/7/6 12:34Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I believe the miracle recorded in Joshua really happened. He described what he thought he saw. God could have kept it light while the battle was being waged. Do I think the earth suddenly stopped on its axis? I am not saying it's 100% impossible- God could have dealt with all the other ramifications of this (essentially the destruction of the entire earth) but I think it just appeared to Joshua that the sun didn't move.

I also believe it happened just as recorded. But it seems to me that you are accepting uniformitarianism (human understanding of science) and miraculous intervention (God, the creator of the physical laws, being perfectly able to suspend those laws) as both being absolute and it creates an unresolvable conflict.

If God creates the laws of physics, gravity, etc., is He not able to suspend them temporarily? That is by definition what a miracle is, right?

If the particular shadow on the dial moved, while the other natural laws continued in an uninterupted fashion, which is totally possible as well, then this is no less a miracle for God. But then the shadow would have had to either speed up until it was in sync again or "jump" back to its original location. Either way, it was a miracle that suspended some law of nature. But again, the creator of the law has the authority and ability to suspend the law.

2017/7/6 18:20Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy