SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Quality Christian Music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
leyoung

Re:

Dennis Jernigan
Marty Goetz

2017/3/4 0:54Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Quality Christian Music

Exactly what style of music are you looking for?

It is very hard to recommend music when you know the lifestyle of some of the singers. So many who were in it professionally pursued sinful lifestyles....e.g. Charlie Louvin sang about the pitfalls of alcoholism but was an alcoholic and died a death in which alcohol was present; was an abuser, violent man. I love the Louvin Brothers' religious music but why, oh why, did Charlie have to go off the rails like he did?

Still, what kind of music are you looking for?

Sandra

2017/3/5 19:03Profile
staff

Re:

Hi Sandra
I have a different stand point on music,music to me is nuetral when it comes to Christianity.Im not talking about Lyrics just the music.I produce some Christian music as a hobby but inspired by God I believe.I can use the same tune or series of notes to make something Godly or something Ghastly,I can add beautiful words that revere God or I can add words that tickle the ears of the world.
My opinion on Christian Music if I am being honest and not wanting to hurt anybodies feelings are that its mostly badly produced and has alot of poor musical melody.
We have a serious issue when it comes to Christian Music an issue which I find it hard to verbalize.
Are the songs we are making for the Church to hear or for the world?or for both?
The way I see it is that we are currently in a phase of making worldly music for the church thinking wrongly that it will attract the world.We are having an identity Crisis,
Yours staff

2017/3/5 19:26Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Staff-

Are you saying that the popular worship music in churches today is essentially pop music with Christian lyrics?

I would certainly agree if that is what you mean but I am not sure if/why you find that objectionable.

If it's not hymns, the only option would seem to be pop or ballad type melodies.

As an aside, I have toyed with the idea of changing some of the lyrics to the song "close to you" by the Carpenters to make it a worship song. Not sure if that would be sacrilegious or not.

2017/3/5 20:35Profile
staff

Re:

Hi TMK,
More or less yes but poor quality pop/modern music.
Ok my objection is the intent behind making of the music.
We think that it will in some way make us attractive to the world.Im not talking about Sunday Morning Worship,im talking about Christian music you hear on Christian radio stations.
The production is of high quality but the songs are so poor,instantly forgetable because its just an imitation product.We think that this music has some evangelical properties but it doesnt its just bland,bland,bland.
I think music is nuetral for the most part so if you had never heard the music of "close to you" before that music could become a worship song but because we have heard it before it wouldnt work due to the baggage it brings.
I have a saying :
We are making Worldly music for the Church,
I want to make Church music for the World,
We are the group of people who say we have a hotline to heaven but our music for the most part doesnt reflect that.
Yours staff

2017/3/6 7:47Profile

Re:

I think Staff makes some good points. Todd may have been right a couple of centuries ago when many choruses and hymns were written to the melodies of popular ballads. My own opinion is that in most churches I have visited, they all follow a similar pattern and all of their worship bands sound the same and they seem to be rock or pop wannabes. The electric guitar and drums typically drown out the words and the beat or the rhythm seem to be more important than the words. In my almost 30 years as a Christian, the most effective worship for me has been some little old lady sitting at a piano or someone leading out with just a guitar. I think simplicity is the key. I think most of what we hear today is just noise..............bro Frank

2017/3/6 8:39
sam09

UK

Re:

Does anyone know any information about Jason Bellard? His music has strong good messages, but it be good to know what he believes etc

Thanks

2017/3/6 14:14Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

In the 80’S and 90’s Hosanna Inegrity put out some wonderful praise and worship music. Many of the songs from the Word.

Don Moen, Kent Henry, Lenny LeBlanc, Paul Baloche, and Paul Wilbur were some of my favorites. Dallas Holm travelled with David Wilkerson in the 70’s.

2017/3/6 16:41Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

staff,

I reckon I am not sure I know what you are looking for. I know what I like - I like for it to be beautiful to the ears, not noise like another poster said. I also like it to be something that invites singing along which is why I appreciate acapella music with four part harmony. I cannot stand 4-11 songs - 4 words repeated 11 times. I think this is an insult to ones intelligence.

Anyhow - do not want to open a can of worms here because music is a topic that seems to invite controversy. But would like to know exactly what you consider good music. If you want to know what I think is really good music is just go to a conservative Mennonite church when they have a hymn sing and listen to it. Now that is what I love - everyone singing to their hearts content - and so what if someone is singing off-key?! They are singing to the LORD and in the meantime the lyrics are becoming in-bedded in the subconsciousness mind that will come back to minister to the soul and spirit in times of need.

Sandra

2017/3/6 19:36Profile
staff

Re:

Hi
We have at least two different types of music in the Church that I can see
Church Worship music
A:Hymnal which could have a modern take with consistantly strong content.Some of the famous hymns are well known by Christian and Non Christian alike,The really Great ones have a great message and great musical melody.
B; Modern Worship Music which at its best like Hillsongs Where Feet May Fail are great but although they top Christian Charts have no effect on the regular charts(non Christians dont hear them)At their worst they are neither fit for the Church or the World(they have a conflicted target audience,they dont know what they are about)and some of them might have poor theology.
I like the good modern worship music and the famous hymns from the past whether they have a modern take or not.
As Greg said their are 1600 mp3s added to SI to listen too which is a valuable resource to say the least.

Going forward I think we need modern music with a great message that is listened too by the world.That seems like an amazing tall order!Their are a couple of steps we need to take if we want our songs to be evangelical or spread truth to the world.
1:The Music has to be great(it will be great if it is inspired by God)like it was in the old testament Temple
2;The message of any such song should not try to cover every theological truth in the bible but just chip away with one truth.
For instance the truth could be in "one second I could be dead" which makes people think what happens after death or it could be "about the end of the world" etc

A song I can think of with what I am talking about are "You got the love" which had these words
When food is gone you are my daily meal, oh
When friends are gone I know my savior's love is real
This song charted high up as I remember and gets regular airplay on non Christian radio stations etc

Its this third type of music that will have an effect on the world that has the great music and simple message that is an arrow to the heart.
We have so many disadvantages when it comes to producing world beating Christian music;the world has more quality musicians,songwriters,producers and singers than we.The world can sing about ear tickling subjects etc.
We however have one resource that is a game changer when it comes to quality music and lyrics and that is the Holy Spirit.When we can tune into what God wants to say then we will get a message through our songs to the world,
Yours Staff

2017/3/6 20:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy