SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What killed Jesus?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Nasher

Watford, UK

What killed Jesus?

My question is twofold:

What killed Jesus - The physical death of being on a cross, or the sins that were laid upon Him?

When were the sins laid upon Him?

2003/10/17 6:01Profile
Jason

Re: What killed Jesus?

Neither. Jesus died when he poured out his life.

2003/10/17 8:15Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

Brilliant answer!!

He gave his life away.

2003/10/17 10:29Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
He gave his life away.

[b]Matthew 27:50[/b] - "And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit"
[b]Mark 15:37[/b] - "with a loud cry, Jesus breated his last"

The gospel of Luke [i]opens up[/i] these two scriptures and reveals what was the 'loud cry':

[b]Luke 23:46[/b] - "Jesus called out with a loud voice, [color=FF0000]"Father , into your hands I commit my spirit."[/color] When he had said this, he breathed his last." -

2003/10/17 12:58Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
What killed Jesus?

We did.

Quote:
What killed Jesus - The physical death of being on a cross, or the sins that were laid upon Him?

Both.

(P.S. I liked Jason's reply better)

Quote:
When were the sins laid upon Him?

In the garden?
Or Garden's?....

Nasher, since you are provoking us with these thought inducing questions, curious what your take is on this as well as the other post regarding what satan knows.........

2003/10/17 23:54Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Matthew 27:50 - "And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit"
Literally: "he sent away his spirit."

Mark 15:37 - "with a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last"
Literally: he exhaled, or ex-spirited.

Luke 23:46 - "Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father , into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last." -
Literally: into your hands I 'place' my spirit. When he had said this, he ex-haled, ex-spirited.

The testimony of scripture is unanimous. Death is something that happens to people; they are the object of the verb. In these scriptures Christ is always the subject of the verb. Death is not something which happened to him but something that he 'achieved'. It was his 'exodus that He must fulfil at Jerusalem' Luke 9:31

His act has continuing ramificiations...
1 John 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

2003/10/19 10:56Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Here are the four gospel accounts of the last moment of Jesus' life (death) on the cross:

Matthew 27:
50And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit.

Mark 15:
37And Jesus cried out with a loud voice, and breathed His last.

Luke 23:
46And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, "Father, "into Your hands I commit My spirit."' Having said this, He breathed His last.

John 19:
30So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.

Question, what did He say first - "It is finished!" or "Father, "into Your hands I commit My spirit."'

2003/10/21 5:51Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Luke 23:
Hi Nasher
46And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, "Father, "into Your hands I commit My spirit."' Having said this, He breathed His last.

John 19:
30So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.

The great cry of the synoptics is the 'it is finished' of John. The sinbearing themes of the cross are bordered by the first and last verses of Ps 22; 'My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me' and 'he hath done it!" (ASV) The work being done and the separation completed He then reverts to the use of the word "Father" as He dismissed His spirit into His Father's keeping.
Read Ps 31 to get the context of the prayer 'into thy hands I commend my spirit'.
and Ps 69 to get the context of the phrase 'I thirst'.

2003/10/21 6:28Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Hi Philologos, having briefly read Psalms 31 & 69 it seems as though the 'I thirst' in Psalm 69 is very dark and is similar to the first half of psalm 22, whereas 'into thy hands I commend my spirit', coming from Psalm 31 seems more full of joy and praise which is similar to the second half of Psalm 22.

Therefore it seems as though the "it is finsished!" came before the "into Your hands I commit my spirit", i.e. when Luke writes "And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice..." this is refering to the "it is finished!", and therefore after it was finished He say "Father, "into Your hands I commit My spirit."'

2003/10/21 9:12Profile
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

I agree with Jason 100% in that Christ gave up His life.
As far as when our sins were laid upon him, I think in terms of Galatians 3. He became the curse for us in the garden...from there on, he was arrested in our place, sentenced, mocked, beaten, bruised, crucified, and humiliated in our place.

2003/10/21 15:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy