Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Reading Through the Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Reading Through the Bible

January 1 is fast approaching and I do plan on reading through the Bible this coming year. I'll likely use the traditional "one year bible" plan which is about 3 OT chapters, 1 NT chapter, a psalm (or part of one) and some verses from proverbs daily. It takes about 15-20 minutes per day.

I have read through the Bible numerous times but didn't do it last year which I regret; I am not doing it this coming year for any legalistic reason- just want to.

Join me if you wish.

2016/12/30 12:09Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Reading Through the Bible

Brother,

I have had serious thought to post a weekly reading plan for the bible on SermonIndex that would read through the entire scriptures every 3 years. Perhaps this could be something that would encourage more community on SermonIndex. Also a more intensive bible reading is wonderful as you are suggesting also.

2016/12/30 12:20Profile

Re: Youversion App

The YouVersion app has many different plans available in different translations that will take you through the Bible.

One that I have used will take you to the Bible in 3 months. You can either listen to it which I do or read through the text. In about an hour a day you would have covered Genesis through Revelation in 90 days. The nice thing about this app is that it bookmarks where you left off at the end of your daily reading.

I do agree that as the first of the year approaches it is a good thing to get into God's word.

Lord willing I intend to use the 90-day plan on the YouVersion app starting January 1st. One of the easiest ways I found to get through the whole Bible at a comfortable pace without feeling pressured.

Bro Blaine

2016/12/30 12:50
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I noted that there is also an iPhone app for the One Year Bible audio version that costs 5.95.

I love listening to the Bible but my mind tends to wander especially when I'm driving.

But of course your mind can wander while reading as well. The key to Bible reading or listening is to do so actively and more importantly expectantly.

2016/12/30 13:46Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Greg, that is a great idea! I know so many people who struggle with reading the Scriptures. I know several who have never read the entire Bible even though they have known the Lord for decades.

On a different note: Is there a SermonIndex channel on TuneIn or any other source? We have an Amazon Echo in our home that we use to listen to the audio Bible, music as well as different "podcasts" of sermons and Bible teachings from different teachers. We can speak to our Echo device or Google Home device to play J. Vernon McGee's "Thru the Bible" radio teachings and it does.

I know that there is an iTunes podcast. However, I think that it would be great to have a presence elsewhere (like TuneIn) that could feature the same messages -- or a different message each day.

This is helpful to many Android users as well as individuals who use web browsers to hear teaching messages. If you include search terms in your listing, it might open the door to many different people to hear this treasury of messages!

Here's a link about adding a podcast to TuneIn:
http://help.tunein.com/customer/portal/articles/1215148-how-do-i-add-my-podcast-to-tunein-

2016/12/30 19:42Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Thank you brother,

I have gone ahead and submitted the SermonIndex.net Classics Podcast to be imported as an TuneIn Channel. I will let you know if they approve it.

There are various online radio stations that have and do use SermonIndex sermons. I have thought of the idea of putting all the messages in a radio format but am not sure how much work-load that would be. We are glad for current radio stations to be using the materials!

2016/12/30 20:11Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

A chronological reading has been of some interest to me... have any of you saints ever read it that way? If so did you find it beneficial ?

I know blue letter bible (fav app) has a 365 day chronological reading plan-

2016/12/30 20:16Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Fletcher- 2 years ago I did the chronological reading. It was helpful especially in seeing where the prophets meshed with the OT Kings. The only thing I didn't really like was that it took forever to get to the NT, although some NT passages like parts of John 1 appear early in the narrative.

2016/12/30 20:42Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
A chronological reading has been of some interest to me... have any of you saints ever read it that way? If so did you find it beneficial ?

A brother I know in Missouri just put together a wonderful chronological study you can see it at: http://www.biblestudytogether.com

2016/12/30 20:47Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

For three years in a row I read thru chronologically. Loved it. Immensely helpful. Took this year 2016 "off" I guess from a read thru. Regret it. Will read thru again in 2017.

Think I will read MEV this time. Read NASB (1x) and ESV (twice) the previous 3 yrs. Really am liking MEV and love that it is translated from Masoretic and Received Text.

2016/12/31 0:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy