SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Deuteronomy 13

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
savannah

Re: references

They're all there alongside the Deuteronomy passages.

All Glory be to our God - The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ

May we study, apply, and be transformed thereby!

2016/11/16 22:22Profile

Re:

thank you :) and Amen!

2016/11/16 22:50

Re: Luke 19:27

The question is: is He referring to the last judgement at the end of the ages upon those who did not respond to the Gospel or to the judgement upon those Jews - who did not want him to be King over them - in the first century? Reading the parable just before this verse, I can not decide. Does anyone know?

2016/11/16 23:31
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

There was wholesale slaughter in Jerusalem in 70 AD. I have little doubt that this is what Jesus was portending.

2016/11/17 7:42Profile

Re:

Yes, TMK after I've read the immediate context I know that He talks about his first and not the second coming. It was confusing for a while because in a similar parable in Matthew 25:14-30 he talks about his second coming, at least judging from the context which in this case is the final judgement.
So sometimes these two comings are confused. Both comings are associated with judgement, at the first coming judgement of unbelieving contemporaries mostly Jews and maybe the 7 churches, and at the second coming all nations.
The famous Jesus movie (1979) just added to my confusion when they changed the words of the thief that was crucified beside him at 1:44:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWYuIe8ftHA
where he was supposed to to say (Luke 23:42): "... when you come in to your Kingdom.." but instead he said: "when you come as King" hiding the fact that when He comes back He will have an already existing kingdom on the earth. I wonder why did they made that change... He already came as king (Luke 19:38) before (first coming) and he is going to come into his existing kingdom at the second coming.

2016/11/17 9:54
savannah

Re: King Jesus and His Kingdom

Excellent observation Tozsu!

It's very clear, as the language which is used points to those very persons who would not receive Him as King.

Countrymen, citizens etc.

And in verse 14 the same persons are alluded to as in verse 27.

The word used in verse 27 is the very thing which the Romans did in 70ad. It means slay with the sword.

In the final judgment, Jesus will cast persons into hell.

As He said, not to fear them who kill the body only, but rather Him who casts into hell!

Not only is this so, but what follows in the next verse(28), is Jesus entering Jerusalem and Him telling them of their rejection of Him and their woes which would consequently follow.

Hallelujah... He is King!

2016/11/17 10:17Profile

Re:

Yes, and the parable of a king in Luke 19 refutes the postponed kingdom theory invented by dispensationalists. The king did not say: "You reject me? that's ok then I abandon my kingdom plans and we can try it at a later time" No, the king kills those who reject his rule.
The judgement came upon those who rejected him after a generation-long "grace period". And the kingdom was established and remained.

So if there was a judgement shortly after the first coming, my question is this: Which judgement was Peter talking about in 1Peter 4:17 "For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?" the judgement of the first century, or the final judgement at the end of times? Could that be that Peter talked about the same judgement that came upon the 7 churches of Asia in the first century?

2016/11/17 14:23
savannah

Re: continuity

The following may not be of interest to those who have an aversion to the Old Testament Scriptures, but for the others who love all of His Word, as David proclaimed, "Oh how I love thy law", I offer this brief excerpt;

From the Holman Bible Dictionary

Old Testament Quotations in the New Testament

The influence of the Old Testament is seen throughout the New Testament. The New Testament writers included approximately 250 express Old Testament quotations, and if one includes indirect or partial quotations, the number jumps to more than 1,000. It is clear that the writers of the New Testament were concerned with demonstrating the continuity between the Old Testament Scriptures and the faith they proclaimed. They were convinced that in Jesus the Old Testament promises had been fulfilled.

2016/11/20 9:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy