SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Deuteronomy 13

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
savannah

Deuteronomy 13

1“If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder, 2and the sign or the wonder comes true, concerning which he spoke to you, saying, ‘Let us go after other gods (whom you have not known) and let us serve them,’ 3you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams; for the LORD your God is testing you to find out if you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul. 4“You shall follow the LORD your God and fear Him; and you shall keep His commandments, listen to His voice, serve Him, and cling to Him. 5“But that prophet or that dreamer of dreams shall be put to death, because he has counseled rebellion against the LORD your God who brought you from the land of Egypt and redeemed you from the house of slavery, to seduce you from the way in which the LORD your God commanded you to walk. So you shall purge the evil from among you.

6“If your brother, your mother’s son, or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul, entice you secretly, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods’ (whom neither you nor your fathers have known, 7of the gods of the peoples who are around you, near you or far from you, from one end of the earth to the other end), 8you shall not yield to him or listen to him; and your eye shall not pity him, nor shall you spare or conceal him. 9“But you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. 10“So you shall stone him to death because he has sought to seduce you from the LORD your God who brought you out from the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. 11“Then all Israel will hear and be afraid, and will never again do such a wicked thing among you.

12“If you hear in one of your cities, which the LORD your God is giving you to live in, anyone saying that 13some worthless men have gone out from among you and have seduced the inhabitants of their city, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods’ (whom you have not known), 14then you shall investigate and search out and inquire thoroughly. And if it is true and the matter established that this abomination has been done among you, 15you shall surely strike the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, utterly destroying it and all that is in it and its cattle with the edge of the sword. 16“Then you shall gather all its booty into the middle of its open square and burn the city and all its booty with fire as a whole burnt offering to the LORD your God; and it shall be a ruin forever. It shall never be rebuilt. 17“And nothing from that which is put under the ban shall cling to your hand, in order that the LORD may turn from His burning anger and show mercy to you, and have compassion on you and make you increase, just as He has sworn to your fathers, 18if you will listen to the voice of the LORD your God, keeping all His commandments which I am commanding you today, and doing what is right in the sight of the LORD your God.

Any thoughts or comments on this chapter?

2016/11/16 7:55Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re: Deuteronomy 13

God is jealous. Exodus 20:5. He will not have His people to give to another what is His. Our hearts, as blood-bought people, are His. Leviticus 20:26; Hebrews 12:14; 2 Cor. 7:1, etc.

The way of disciples of Christ is marked with love. Our belonging to Him is made evident to the lost world by our love for each other. God's jealousy manifests itself in the love of Christ between disciples for one another. John 13:35.

The old movie, "Love Story", had a famous line: "Love means never having to say you're sorry." Well, that's love, American style. Amerigape, if you will. God's love is given to us in that while we were sinners, Christ died for us. Eph. 5:8. God's love is given to us in such a way that sorrow brings us to the very thing we understand to be real love; "godly sorrow works repentance unto salvation". 2 Cor. 7:10. Agape.

Real love lays down its life for friends. John 15:13. When Jesus did this for Israel He was doing so as the true prophet (vs. the false, seducing prophet of Deut. 13:1-5), as the true kinsman (vs. the false, seducing kinsman in Deut. 13:6-11), and as the true wind of truth (John 14:6) and the life-giving spirit (1 Cor. 15:45) (vs. the voices in the wind of false doctrine/teaching in Deut. 13:12-17; compare Eph. 4:14, 2 Tim. 3:1-5).

Jesus embodies, fulfills and ministers all that was set forth in Deuteronomy 13:1-18. By His Spirit, we walk in the light and the truth, and we do those things that please God. For those who will refuse to surrender and obey His voice -- and His voice alone, not mixed with the voices of other gods -- judgment remains certain. Hebrews 2:3-4:11.

2016/11/16 9:56Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

The Deuteronomy passage sounds OT to me.

2016/11/16 11:18Profile

Re:

These are very strong words, though we do not kill people in the NT it is our responsibility to warn and then excommunicate false prophets.
I believe that in present time it is allowed that the tares grow with the wheat, and God reserves their judgement for later.
Usually today's "prophets" only give vague predictions such as "I feel that something extraordinary is going to happen in the near future that brings about a significant change in the spiritual realm" This "prophecy" is impossible to be checked but still has an effect on people's thinking. If occasionally such prophets are caught of saying something that later didn't happen, they say that it did happen but invisibly in the spiritual realm and and we are just too dull spiritually to see it.
In the OT the office of a prophet was different, God spoke to his people through them, today every Christian has access to God through the blood of Christ and by the indwelling Holy Spirit so we not only have the Book (as they had in the OT) but also have the spirit to compare the prophecy with.
I see a serious problem when someone holds unto a certain teaching and is not able to back it up with Scripture.
It is important to maintain a good conscience so others can not "guilt us" into believing their false teachings. Here is an encouraging word for those who are persecuted whether from within or from outside of the church.
1 Peter 3:14-16
14 But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;

15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.

2016/11/16 12:50

Re: Deuteronomy 13

In these verses God told us that He should always be more important than our families, and we should not let our families stop us from following his commandments.
I think Jesus told the same thing here:
Luke 14:26
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

2016/11/16 13:36
passerby

Re:

These passages have many implications:

1. That we have to radically follow God.
2. Righteousness is what is good or right in the sight of the Lord, though we are thinking of some regulating moral
principles.
3. In view of the finished work of our redeemer, there is now a different direction in which the Lord our God deals with men and events.
4. Christians work for perfection in our thoughts, words, and actions but our salvation really depends on a promise.
5. Salvation is not completely unconditional.

2016/11/16 17:27Profile
savannah

Re: Deuteronomy in the New Testament

Deuteronomy is quoted 36 times in the New Testament

Dt 4:24 Heb 12:29
Dt 4:35 Mk 12:32
Dt 5:16 Mt 15:4; Mk 7:10; Ep 6:2
Dt 5:16,20 Mt 19:18; Mk 10:19; Lk 18:20
Dt 5:17 Mt 5:21; Jas 2:11
Dt 5:17,21 Ro 13:9
Dt 5:18 Jas 2:11
Dt 5:21 Ro 7:7
Dt 6:4 Mk 12:29, 32
Dt 6:5 Mt 22:37; Mk 12:30, 33; Lk 10:27
Dt 6:13 Mt 4:10
Dt 6:16 Mt 4:7; Lk 4:12
Dt 8:3 Mt 4:4; Lk 4:4
Dt 9:3 Heb 12:29
Dt 9:4 Ro 10:6
Dt 9:19 Heb 12:21
Dt 10:20 Mt 4:10; Lk 4:8
Dt 17:7 1 Co 5:13
Dt 18:15 Acts 7:37
Dt 18:15,20 Acts 3:22
Dt 19:15 Mt 18:16; 2Co 13:1; 1Ti 5:19
Dt 21:23 Gal. 3:13
Dt 24:1 Mt 5:31; 19:7
Dt 25:4 1 Co 9:9; 1Ti 5:18
Dt 25:5 Mt 22:24; Mk 12:19; Lk 20:28
Dt 27:26 Gal. 3:10, 13
Dt 29:4 Ro 11:8
Dt 29:18 Heb 12:15
Dt 30:12 Ro 10:6
Dt 30:14 Ro 10:8
Dt 31:6 Heb 13:5
Dt 32:4 Re 15:3
Dt 32:21 Ro 10:19
Dt 32:35 Ro 12:19; Heb 10:30
Dt 32:36 Heb 10:30
Dt 32:43 Ro 15:10; Heb 1:6

2016/11/16 20:03Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

so savannah do you think the Deut passages you quoted in the OP are meant to be followed literally today?

2016/11/16 21:08Profile
savannah

Re: King Jesus

King Jesus is the Triumphant Sovereign, and He has the final word, not the Islamic State who demand the worship of Allah!

King Jesus said in Luke 19:27;

But as for those enemies of mine who were unwilling that I should become their king, bring them here, and cut them to pieces in my presence.'"

But as for these enemies of mine who didn't want me to be their king—bring them here and slaughter them in my presence!'"

And as for these enemies of mine who didn't want me to be their king--bring them in and execute them right here in front of me.'"

But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me.'"

But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me.’”

--------------------------

Hebrews 10:30 For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.”

Romans 12:19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”

Deuteronomy 32:35 It is mine to avenge; I will repay. In due time

Deuteronomy 32:41 If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me.

2016/11/16 22:13Profile

Re:

Savannah, do you have all the Old Testament references to the New Testament? It would be awesome to study both at the same time. Thank you so much.

2016/11/16 22:13

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy