SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : New Ben Hur Movie

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re:

Forrests,

Thanks for sharing those links I also find them troubling and it will definitely contribute to whether I see the movie or not. As I stated in the OP, I have a check regarding Morgan Freeman being an atheist.

As to your question regarding friendship of the world I believe it has to do with those things we absolutely love, not just partaking of, as Todd answered so well. Many of us have computers, cell phones, shop in grocery stores that sell liquor and pagan magazines, eat in restaurants that sell liquor, shop in department stores that support planned parenthood or the like, etc.

I am not minimizing in any way your very valid question as it is something I ponder on a daily basis as we all should be doing. As for Hollywood and the movies they produce I have no desire whatsoever to see or watch.

Other Christian films and companies for me are another story. I have not decided to see the new Ben Hur but will look forward to input from people who might.

I never saw the movie the Passion of the Christ but know people who did. I had my reasons and do not feel condemned that I didn't nor do I condemn those who did.

Savanah posted the link to another new movie by Ray Comfort, The Atheist Delusion, of which I will most likely get before it is released and will end up buying a bunch and passing them out as tracts.

I will say that some time ago this question came into my spirit, "Can anything good come out of Babylon?"

I see Hollywood as a modern day Babylon without a doubt or question. Yet in Gods sovereinty it appears Christ is still being preached.

My wife (who is not yet manifested saved)told me this morning a couple things that took place in the Olympics they showed on the news. Four Americans after winning a relay race gathered together in a circle and prayed to Jesus and the camera did not pull away.

Secondly, another athlete who won a God medal for something and happened to be from Brazil had a bandana wrapped around his head that she asked me to guess what it said, It said "100% Jesus".

For me these things only speak to the choir of those who are already saved, but what I am happy about is that my wife takes note every time of things like this and God is wooing her unto Himself.

So the question is, can or will God use the new Ben Hur movie, to draw people to Himself? If God can save and heal people who are presently sitting under false shepherds and heretics IN SPITE of the error they teach/preach is He not able to do the same here?

As I get older the box I once put God in has gotten much bigger over time to the point of just removing the box altogether.

The two links you posted re: Roma Downy and her husband, and Della Reese is only something I can take at face value as I know zero about the stuff reported.

But two things stood out: One is at the beginning of this individuals report in uncovering the motive/spirit behind these people he made the statement that he was not disappointed. Meaning he was happy he was able to prove these folks are new agers and preaching another Jesus.

I don't know about anyone else but I find no pleasure or satisfaction in proving one is a heretic or deceiver and it grieves me for both them and the sheep.

The other thing was one of the articles gave RD resume of beliefs, beliefs I do not share in or endorse in any way.

But I feel the same way about the Apostle Pauls resume of beliefs pre conversion or any one of us for that matter.

As one who has been delivered out of this world and the RCC, I just cannot limit God in what or who He may choose to use to draw people to Himself and ultimately save.

I am more aware now in separating people (flesh & Blood) from the spirit behind the people (principalaties, powers, spiritual wickedness, etc.)

I just cannot be cynical, condemning, or Pharisaical in dealing with such matters for this reason:

2 Timothy 2:24-26 KJV And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, (25) In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; (26) And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

As one who was on the opposite end of this portion of scripture and was attacked by a brood of Pharisees it nearly destroyed me and took my life. These Pharisees were my closest friends and relatives, ones who we took sweet counsel of the Lord from and walked hand in hand into the house of the Lord.

Just sharing some thoughts as I pondered your question.

BD

2016/8/21 12:58Profile

Re: My Impressions of Ben Hur

Saints I just saw the Ben Hur movie or I should say the new Ben Hur movie this morning. Let me say by way of disclaimer that for those who choose to see the movie. Do not go with the expectation that you're going to see something put out by the Kendrick Brothers. Or a God is not Dead movie. Or something like Pure Flix ir a Christian Juliana film. This remake of In Her is not a Christian movie in the traditional sense of the word. This remake of Ben-Hur is Hollywood.

That being said. I was pleasantly surprised that I actually enjoyed the movie. Hope this does not offend anybody in the forum or makes me worldly. Let me say there was no foul language in the movie. Unless it was spoken in Latin by the Roman legion. :-). There were no explicit sex scenes.

However the Chariot race was a bit intense and could be said to be a bit bloody. But not unusually so. Anyway its the chariot-race that give the movie that umph.

Without giving away the story line I felt there was a good plot in the movie. Perhaps to a degree one could say it was faith-based. But please do not expect a point-by-point gospel presentation as would be made by Paul Washer. This is a Hollywood movie.

I do not want to say too much more for those who might want to go see the movie. I saw it and enjoyed it. For those who have the liberty to go to the theater to see the movie I trust that you will have a decent entertaining experience.

I'm trying to stay true to my word and not make recommendations. But again I saw the movie and enjoyed it.

Again as I always say. These are simply my thoughts.

2016/8/21 14:48
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
Quote:

by Lysa
here we go again...

by forrests
Please explain what you are saying, if you would... Thanks.

I like you forrests and it is not my intention to start a war with you or anyone else but what I meant exactly is that the title of this thread is "New Ben Hur Movie" not the new age or Roma Downey, or roman catholics, etc.

It's seems that only one person has actually sat in a movie theater and watched Ben Hur and has an actual opinion of the movie.

2016/8/21 15:01Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Thanks for the review bear! I'll go see it and chime in as well after I do.

Quote: "I never saw the movie the Passion of the Christ but know people who did. I had my reasons and do not feel condemned that I didn't nor do I condemn those who did."

I saw it twice but will never watch it again, and I own it. I have concluded the violence is almost obscene, even if it is realistic.

I will never forget when I saw it in the theater- a bunch of church people were there. There was an boy, about age 8, sitting right next to us. During the scourging scene he was sobbing- not because of the spiritual aspect but because it was horrifying. His mother should have taken him out but she did not- he sobbed the rest of the movie.

I guess I am glad the Passion was made, but I can't watch it again.

2016/8/21 15:14Profile

Re: Lysa

I guess that would be me sister. Guilty as charged. I saw the movie this morning and enjoyed it. However as I said by way of disclaimer one should not go to this movie expecting to see a Christian Kendrick brother type of production.

The movie is Hollywood. But actually one of the better movies that have come out of Tibseltown. I would liken it to the movie Risen that came out earlier this year. That was also another good movie I saw.

Simply thoughts.

2016/8/21 15:37
savannah

Re: partakers of the shame of friendship

Ephesians 5

1Be therefore imitators of God, as beloved children. 2And walk in love, even as Christ also loved us, and gave himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling fragrance.
3But sexual immorality, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not even be mentioned among you, as becomes saints; 4nor filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not appropriate; but rather giving of thanks. 5Know this for sure, that no sexually immoral person, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the Kingdom of Christ and God.

6Let no one deceive you with empty words. For because of these things, the wrath of God comes on the children of disobedience. 7Therefore do not be partakers with them. 8For you were once darkness, but are now light in the Lord. Walk as children of light, 9for the fruit of the light is in all goodness and righteousness and truth, 10proving what is well pleasing to the Lord. 11Have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather even reprove them. 12For the things which are done by them in secret, it is a shame even to speak of. 13But all things, when they are reproved, are revealed by the light, for everything that reveals is light.

2016/8/21 15:44Profile

Re:

I might add there were two excellent video movies that were presented in the forum. And as I remember they met with some opposition from the forun members.

I remember when Jeff posted the excellent video "Sheep Among Wolves, The Chronicles of the Persecuted Church." This is a video that I have seen at least six different times. It Chronicles the persecuted Church in the Middle East and the need to go do the global harvest. In my opinion a very excellent video.

However as I remember forum members objected to the message of this movie. Padticularly to the idea that one should go to the foreign nission field to share the gospel

Another video was one I posted it called "Chased". This was a low budget video done by a church in Springfield Missouri. The video told a story of a house church as seen through the eyes of a small child. The video started with the premise that Christianity was illegal in America. And those who were caught following Christ would be imprisoned and executed.

Despite the fact the video was done on a low budget I thought it was of excellent quality. Particularly given the message it was communicating. I might add given the garbage that's on YouTube. This video was banned from being shown on YouTube.

However some of the forum members objected to this video and its message it was conveying.

My point in sharing this is whether you post a Christian or a non Christian movie on this forum. There are going to be those who will object to it. And as our sister Lisa said. They will not have bothered to see the video or movie.

But then I guess everybody has to fuss about something.

Again simply my thoughts.

2016/8/21 15:48
savannah

Re: the Great Gulf

There is a Great Gulf fixed between Hollywood and Holyblood!

2016/8/21 15:59Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by bearmaster
I guess that would be me sister. Guilty as charged. I saw the movie this morning and enjoyed it. However as I said by way of disclaimer one should not go to this movie expecting to see a Christian Kendrick brother type of production.

Bear,

I was not condemning you for seeing the movie, no way! I plan on seeing it myself. I was pointing out that there were many voices on this thread with an opinion about everything else BUT the movie and only one person (you) had actually ventured to go see it!! Nothing bad about you!

God bless you,
Lisa

2016/8/22 7:59Profile

Re: Lysa

Thank you sister. I was only being facetious. I understand the spirit in which you were writing.

I hope you enjoy the movie when you see it. Of course there's only one Ben Hur and that's Charlton Heston. But the movie does bring up a good story.

Be blessed in Jesus this day my sister.

2016/8/22 8:10

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy