SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Foot Washing

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

As I said earlier in the thread, I have never been a part of such outside of my high school coach doing it at an FCA meeting when I wAs like 14-16ish. However, after reading the thread & thinking about it, I felt lead & actually shared the scriptures with my family & washed my wife and all of my kids' feet at home during our family Bible study time. I told them that it's not some ordinance or some ritual, but that I wanted it to be an outward symbol to them of my heart to love and serve them as the husband and father in our family. It was pretty powerful & I believe the Lord was in it & blessed it. Especially with my teenage boys.

2016/8/9 23:25
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: Foot Washing

Forrest,

I haven't read thru all 8 pages, so if I'm repeating anything, sorry! Jesus was instructing us to wash each other's feet .... literally.

This is why I believe culture has absolutely nothing to do with it. If the church wasn't the worst offender for gossiping, lying, holding grudges and many other things, Jesus would not have had to instruct us to humbly knee before our enemies (in some cases), while praying and blessing them.

My two cents!!! God bless you,
Lisa

2016/8/10 9:53Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

One of the brothers in our fellowship suggested to me yesterday that we wash one another's feet this Saturday night. He is the one who went to the Gospel Fellowship meeting in Atlanta with me (not that that means anything unless you were there :) ) . I had already had the thought a couple of nights before, so we plan (for now, unless the Lord leads us in another direction then) to unite in love this Saturday night in this ancient way that Jesus and the disciples demonstrated.

I share this here only for this purpose: I tell you from experience that this is a holy thing when done for His glory and our edification. I encourage anyone and everyone to find a way to do it.

2016/8/10 11:17Profile

Humbling Ourselves

I've sort of followed this thread with interest. Never had done a foot washing but on Sunday, my sis in law insisted on taking me to do a pedicure. I fought tooth and nail, waste of time, too expensive, don't want anyone to see my ugly feet and how I don't bother with them much, thoughI am grateful to God for feet.
Well, I finally gave in, partly because of THIS discussion on foot washing.
First after apologizing and being embarrassed, a lovely older Asian woman got the job of washing my feet. I have to say that as long as I was thinking of me, I was full of pride and rebellion! Then the Lord had me look at her face, she was stressed too. I asked her where she was from because she had a thick accent. Viet Nam. Then Jesus in me started loving on her! Where? When did you come to America? How many children do you have?
The more I spoke to her, the more she talked and I heard from a woman who works 7 days a week and hadn't had a break all day, yet and whose son was working in this manicure place to get an education. Who supports relatives in Vietnam and is at the foot of my massage chair at age 61 and bone tired.
It was during this time while she was washing my feet that the Lord broke me of selfishness and pride. I listened to her story and I couldn't understand some of it because of her limited English, but I felt nothing but the love of Jesus for that woman whose name is Anna.

We were hugging at the end of that foot washing and pedicure and I told her since I lived near the shop I would come see her.

But, humbling, yes, in so many ways. Thank you, Lord, for speaking through this washing of feet!!!!!!

Sis L

2016/8/10 11:43
forrests

Re: jeffmar1130's testimony

jeffmar1130,

Thank you so much for sharing this moving testimony, I am encouraged to hear the Lord moved you in this direction and that you yielded to Him and that your family was blessed in it. Thank you so much for sharing, and may you all be blessed through your obedience to the leading of the Spirit.

I plan to go home and do it with my family again (it has been over a year) before we gather with the saints for worship and bible study.

Thanks again for sharing!

2016/8/10 12:45Profile
forrests

Re: Lysa

Quote:
by Lysa on 2016/8/10 6:53:53
Forrest,

I haven't read thru all 8 pages, so if I'm repeating anything, sorry! Jesus was instructing us to wash each other's feet .... literally.

I tend to agree. The actual practice of it is very humbling and instructive. I believe it helps us to more fully understand the spiritual principle it is conveying and apply it in our lives.

Thanks for sharing sister,

May the grace and power of the Lord Jesus be upon you mightily as you walk ever closer to Him!

2016/8/10 12:49Profile
forrests

Re: dolfan

Quote:
by dolfan on 2016/8/10 8:17:13

One of the brothers in our fellowship suggested to me yesterday that we wash one another's feet this Saturday night. He is the one who went to the Gospel Fellowship meeting in Atlanta with me (not that that means anything unless you were there :) ) . I had already had the thought a couple of nights before, so we plan (for now, unless the Lord leads us in another direction then) to unite in love this Saturday night in this ancient way that Jesus and the disciples demonstrated.

Amen! Thanks for sharing, brother. It is encouraging to hear that the Lord is also leading you and the other brother to observe this practice in a sincere desire to honor Him and be instructed and edified by it.

Quote:
I share this here only for this purpose: I tell you from experience that this is a holy thing when done for His glory and our edification. I encourage anyone and everyone to find a way to do it.

Amen, amen! I agree and do feel that this is the burden of the Lord for us right now...to practice foot washing in the natural as a memorial to the the spiritual necessity of such a mind and spirit to be working in us toward the brothers and sisters.

Thanks again for the encouraging report - I look forward to hearing about it after it happens (Lord willing).

2016/8/10 12:54Profile
forrests

Re: Humbling Ourselves

lesyoung,

Thank you for sharing this testimony as well. This is the type of humble service the Lord is after in us toward one another. What a picture of humility and devotion and service. Thank you so much for sharing!

2016/8/10 12:57Profile

Re: Comnand Ordinance or Suprene Example

John 13:13-17

You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am. If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I gave you an "example" that you also should do as I did to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master, nor is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them.

Brothers and sisters I see Jesus is giving us more an example rather than a New Covenant command. By His example of washing the disciples he is exemplifying Mark 10:45,

... For even the Son of Man, did not come to be served, but the serve, and to give his life a ransom for many...

It seems that Jesus is showing us how to live the crucified life and giving us an attitude of serving one another.

Simply my thoughts.

2016/8/10 13:31

Re: Example of Eric Liddel

Brother Todd posted this on my thread about Eric Liddel.

-------------------

One of the most sobering stories I heard about him is that while he was improsoned the latrines would often fill up and overflow and he would take it upon himself to mop and clean them out.

THAT is washing your brothers' feet.

-------------------

I would agree with my brother, Todd. That is certainly serving your brother by washing his feet. That certainly has to be the most humiliating acts of service is to go out and clean out a stinky latrine.

But then I wonder if this dear brother had incredible experiences with the Lord Jesus Christ while mopping up those stinking toilets. If so the sweet fragrance with Jesus must have been sweeter than even the stench of the latrines.

Again simply my thoughts and reflections.

2016/8/10 13:36

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy