SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Being led by the Spirit.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Actually, it would have been wrong of the disciples not to warn Paul, because it was the Holy Spirit directing them to warn him "not to go".

Here is another instance where the Holy Spirit works through the Church in Paul's life and in this case Paul, is in agreement.

Act 13:1 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
Act 13:2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.
Act 13:3 And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
Act 13:4 So they, being sent forth by the Holy Ghost, departed unto Seleucia; and from thence they sailed to Cyprus.

2016/7/5 11:44

Re:

TMK,

I use the KJV for my study Bible. All these other variations are confusing. Constrained by the Spirit, (spirit capitalized), compelled by the Spirit, etc, etc. I don't see those definitions in the Greek. Well, I don't want to go down that road, so here is my final word. In my fellowship, I cannot ever remember an argument amongst brothers. The word says to, endeavor to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace and this is very important to us.

Eph 4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

When we get to a place where there are differences of opinion we always know that God has "one mind" on things (subjects), not two minds. No confusion from God. So, we then believe we should give the subject a rest, and seek the Lord for more light. He is able to bring agreement. That seems where we are here. We need more light and I am sure everyone wants to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Very good thread, lots to think about and pray about. I am now reviewing all the times Paul was called to the Gentiles and doing a study on the Lord's divine guidance in Paul's life. As I said before (a couple of times), I receive good spiritual lessons from either view, but mostly from the view where Paul went up to Jerusalem, against the recommendation of the Church. I actually have a much more grounded opinion of Paul than before, still with very great esteem of him.

Blessings to everyone.

2016/7/5 12:27
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I agree it has been a good thread. Hope I didn't come across as too argumentative. I concede your interpretation may be correct.

2016/7/5 13:25Profile

Re:

I concede yours may be correct, too. :-)

Convictions and strong opinions don't equal argumentative attitude. I appreciate your contributions. Good food for thought and prayer. Thanks.

2016/7/5 13:32
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

It was a good thread,brothers. I leave you with this thought. Differentiate between Paul's general calling to take the gospel to the gentile world and specific instances of Holy Spirit leading. I think that anywhere Paul could preach the gospel was fair game to him unless the Spirit expressly forbid or prevented him from going. Be well!

2016/7/5 13:38Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Admittedly, no matter Paul's mind before Ananias, the possibility that he went to Jerusalem against the express will of God is very real. I don't think so but I cannot say conclusively that he acted in obedience to God in going as much as he did his own genuinely perceived need to go. Brenda has presented a real good example of an item in Scripture over which loving brothers and sisters can seek out the truth, differ in understanding, and remain loving about. And she has explained her understanding and supported it well in the right spirit.

You guys are all great, IMO. :)

2016/7/5 13:43Profile

Re:

Appreciate everyone maintaining a spirit of love and courtesy. This thread was a real pleasure to be part of.

2016/7/5 13:47

Re:

Lots of good thoughts in this thread. Iron sharpening iron is a very good thing.............bro Frank

2016/7/5 16:03

Re:

bro Frank wrote:

"Below are some quotes from Jesus in Matt 23 in which he calls the Pharisees hypocrites multiple times. He calls them blind and fools over and over again. Given the logic that you use sister against Paul, will you next accuse our Lord of having fallen from grace? Do you believe that the Lord was sinless as a man and as God? If you do, how do you explain, using your logic, Jesus roundly condemning these men with the harshest words possible? On the sermon on the mount He talked about the deep danger of calling anyone a fool. So again, using your argument, is it possible you would criticize Jesus too? By the way, I do not think Paul was sinless ..........bro Frank"

I was referring to how the sinless Jesus conducted Himself during His trial which He knew was His Fathers will for Him. Besides, surely you agree that God can do things that we are not allowed to do? His harsh words to the Pharisees came when they were trying to trip Him up and He was allowed to bring judgement on them being God in order to give them the chance to repent. Judgment on His accusers was not appropriate at His trial however and in my understanding, should not have been at Paul's were he firmly convinced that he was acting in God's will. Why set up opposition to what God had ordained?

A number of things just do not make sense to me. First of all is the belief that it was God's choosing to take the apostle Paul out of active ministry when he was the leader in the newly established church's evangelistic mission, and there were not enough men to do the work of spreading the gospel. Paul being imprisoned must have caused the uttmost devastation for them all. The fact that Paul said that everyone had deserted him when he wrote 2 Timothy, indicates to me that the whole church was angry with him and thought that he had stepped outside of God's will and they decided to let him have it on his own. No, this tragedy and division seems to me to be the work of Satan.

Then there is the belief (not shared by me btw) that the church were expected the return of Jesus at any time. If that was so then there would have been a strong feeling of urgency to spread the gospel as much as possible. This is one of the reasons I do not go with that interpretation as they knew it would have been impossible for their generation to take the gospel to the ends of the earth. we can only imagine how they would have been discouraged by Paul's imprisonment. I would say it may have had a severely negative affect on the faith of some.

As to the trial, it also does not make sense to me when Paul snapped at the official to whom he should have shown the respect and decorum expected during trials,, then and now. He sounded like a very unhappy frustrated man to me and not the jubulant Paul were are accustomed to read about.

Add this to the clear instructions that the HS said to him not to go, I can come to no other conclusion, but brothers, I appreciate your thoughts and the manner in which you have disagreed with me. Thank you.

2016/7/6 2:47

Re:

Tim

Sorry I thought that I had answered your questions, with one reply - that culture has nothing to do with the behaviour of a man who is indwelt by the Holy Spirit.

That man can act from his flesh at times granted and we have the example of Peter, but for most of the time, he should be exibiting the fruit of the Spirit - peace, joy, patience, gentleness etc.

Ananias, as an unsavoury character was due to a sticky end, anyone could see that. I don't feel that it indicates anything.

2016/7/6 2:52

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy