SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Being led by the Spirit.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Sorry Gary - give me the text please.

2016/7/3 3:40
brothagary

Re:

10Several days later a man named Agabus, who also had the gift of prophecy, arrived from Judea. 11He came over, took Paul’s belt, and bound his own feet and hands with it. Then he said, “The Holy Spirit declares, ‘So shall the owner of this belt be bound by the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem and turned over to the Gentiles.’” 12When we heard this, we and the local believers all begged Paul not to go on to Jerusalem.

13But he said, “Why all this weeping? You are breaking my heart! I am ready not only to be jailed at Jerusalem but even to die for the sake of the Lord Jesus.” 14When it was clear that we couldn’t persuade him, we gave up and said, “The Lord’s will be done.”

Its clear from these verses that the prophecy spoken over paul was an absulute word of what was going to happen to paul ,the text speaks of no options in the way that paul was going to be dealts with if he did not go,that is mear adding to the text , if we just take the text at face value .

It is also evedent that it was the other deciples who loved paul so much did not want him to go to this fate , but acutauly wanted paul to disobey the holy spirit ,,more then likey god sent the prophet to back up paul and his plans to go to jeruslam , as the deciples may have been trying to inpead pauls journey.....

Luke was also involved it seems in trying to get paul to not go ,and as he said he gave up , and submited to the will of the lord ,which verse 14 says , when luke said ,the lords will be done...

We all know from pauls words that he wasn't perfect, but in this case he was clearly following the led of the holy spirit ,and out of the mouth of two or three witnesses this word was established to the deciples ......

God bless

2016/7/3 3:45Profile

Re:

Gary brother

It was indeed a prophecy from Abagus as to what was to happen to Paul in Jerusalem. God knew that Paul's mind was set on going and that previously he had ignored the discernment of the disciples, so a stronger demonstration was to be given.

He had also said that Ninevah was to be destroyed but changed His plan on that.

The disciples took this as God intended and as a warning for him not to go. But Paul thought that they were all wrong in trying to stop him and that was to be his fate.

It is inconceivable to me that the disciples, were all wrong when they were united in their conviction that Paul was being misled. Maybe one or at the most two, might have been mistaken but not all of them.

And we have to add it to the previous verse quoted by Julius:

Act 21:4 And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem.

This from Luke could not be clearer. He records that the Holy Spirit told Paul not to go to Jerusalem or are you saying that Luke got that wrong too and he was not inspired when he wrote it?

All of the apostles were at that time, almost certain to lose their lives and will have known it, it does not seem possible to me that ALL of them would be trying to impede the work of God if He was telling Paul to go to his possible death.

It also said that they gave up and placed it in God's hands. Instead they should have been repenting and apologising to Paul.

What you are saying, is that these men who had been through hell and high water, walked physically and knew intimately the Lord, and no doubt like Peter had bitterly wept at deserting their Lord at the crucifixion, were now being loyal to Paul instead of Christ.

Taking everything together, the conventional interpretation does not seem feasible to me.

2016/7/3 6:36
brothagary

Re:

What seems clearer to me sister is that paul had allready recieved guidence as an apostal to go there ,so i wont say that paul was wrong as an apostal ...

22 “And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. 23 I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. 24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.

See the holy spirit has allready made it clear to paul what he must do ,and as we know apostolic revalation trumps our interpretation of our own revalation , also what the deciples receieved as revalation ,it was not infalable ,or the interprtation definitely is not ,.. But pauls is ,becasue he was chosesn by god to write the scriptures so to speak .....

We cant get around this apostoilic fact and prinicaple about god choosing paul to give infalably revalation and prophecy ...

You see if paul could be wrong in this case about what the holy spirit compleled him to do ,regarding the prohecy he recieved above , then that cast doubt over all is writings ,becasue he may also be wrong in other revalations ..

Sister dont do that to the credabilty of pauls revalations ,rather do that to us and the decilples who were probaly babes ,or not mature , who are definitely not infalable in our interpretation............

Do you see my point ....

2016/7/3 7:11Profile
brothagary

Re:

This why agubus was sent to clear that up ,and tell them ,thus says the lord this will happen.............

2016/7/3 7:14Profile

Re:

You seem to be basng your argument on ' compelled by the spirit' which l have not put in capitals because the scripture does not seem to tell us whether it was Paul's spirit or the Holy Spirit so we have to look elsewhere for understanding.

I don't think it puts any doubt on the rest of his writings if what l say is true, that it was a time when he was out of God's will.

Some of the other disciples wrote scripture too such as John and Peter so according to your reasoning, their writings have to come under doubt if we are consistent.

2016/7/3 7:29
brothagary

Re:

John and peter were pillars of the church ,called apostals ,,they werent there ......

2016/7/3 7:45Profile
brothagary

Re:

Oh ,,and no every revalation and prophecy from the apostles mare infalable .

Do you agree with that ....

2016/7/3 8:00Profile

Re:

Quote:
by brenda7 on 2016/7/3 7:29:34

You seem to be basng your argument on ' compelled by the spirit' which l have not put in capitals because the scripture does not seem to tell us whether it was Paul's spirit or the Holy Spirit so we have to look elsewhere for understanding.

I don't think it puts any doubt on the rest of his writings if what l say is true, that it was a time when he was out of God's will.

Some of the other disciples wrote scripture too such as John and Peter so according to your reasoning, their writings have to come under doubt if we are consistent.

That is true Brenda, Peter for a short time was representing "another gospel" by his behavior and conduct in Galatia and Paul "withstood him to the face" and publicly rebuked him. This incident in no way casts doubt for me on his writings being inspired by God. It was not God's will that Peter sin in this way.

David was an adulterer, yet I believe all of his writings were inspired by God.

God refused to let Moses into the Promised Land because of his sin, does that mean that the Pentateuch is not inspired? No!

God is not the author of our sin.

This is not a good argument for saying Paul NEVER got out of God's will.

MEN (not gods) were moved (inspired) by the Holy Spirit to write the Bible. MEN!!

By the way, I never refer to Saints as sinners and I appreciate you bringing that one statement of mine to my attention. I will leave it since you referred to it, but enter a line of correction below out if That is ok? That did not really come out the way I meant for it to.

I made the correction. Thanks, again!

2016/7/3 11:58
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

How would Paul's companions had sounded if they had said "Yes Paul- go to Jerusalem so your imprisonment and martyrdom can he hastened?" No friend would say this simply out of brotherly love and concern.

Every person must be true to his own conviction. Paul was upset that his friends were crying and begging him not to go. But he would have been more upset if they had pushed him toward his doom. Paul had a clear vision from the Lord of what his end would be. It would have been so easy to give in to his friend's advice and change his (and God's) plans.

It think it is very uncharitable and unkind to sit here and say that Paul was a stubborn mule with a martyr complex. Based on his life as a whole, it is unfair to suggest that he did not do just exactly what God wanted him to do.

Further, when he says he did not know he was speaking to the High Priest, why in the world would we call him a liar? It doesn't seem very Paul-ish that he would lie about such a thing.

2016/7/3 14:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy