SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : It is Christ crucified and not the law, that convicts the hearts of men.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

It is Christ crucified and not the law, that convicts the hearts of men.

Much has been spoken about recently about the preaching of the law to stir up or bring conviction to men. If we look at the first chapters of Acts we can see just exactly what the Apostles were preaching to the unconverted, they were preaching Christ crucified, and in the preaching of Christ crucified, mens hearts were stirred up, fallow ground was broken and it was said that they were stabbed in the heart."

It uses that phrase twice, one in Acts 2 where 3000 were saved and again in Acts seven where Stephen was stoned. In both of these " sermons," they convicting teaching was that they ( the crowd) crucified the Christ. Now why would that convict men then and down though the last 2000 years as opposed to preaching the law? First of all Christ and Him crucified in the central aspect of everything that we believe and every man is guilty of crucifying Christ and they know it when they hear it. How do they know it, how can they possibly know it? Why does it convert men or cause men to become extremely angry? Scripture tells us ....

Joh 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Every man that comes into the world has something of the light in him, the light of Christ. When Christ is preached, Christ crucified, it causes conviction because of the "light." This light clashed with the darkness of men and they are either saved or they retreat into the darkness of who they are. Below are the key Scriptures from the first several chapters of Acts showing what the Disciples were preaching to either individuals, pharisees or the crowd in general, it was Christ crucified. This is what causes conviction in the heart of men............bro Frank

Act 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:

Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
(Act 2:36-37)

The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go. But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you; And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
(Act 3:13-15)

Act 4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men. The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
(Act 5:29-30)

Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers: Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it. When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth.
(Act 7:52-54)

The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth: In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
(Act 8:32-33)

2016/6/3 11:24

Re: It is Christ crucified and not the law, that convicst the hearts of men.

Amen, Frank.

What did Philip preach to the Eunuch? Presumably, the Eunuch was not a Jew. Did he preach the Law, or did he preach unto the Eunuch, Jesus?

What saith the scriptures?

Act 8:31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
Act 8:32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
Act 8:33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
Act 8:34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
Act 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, AND PREACHED UNTO HIM JESUS.

2016/6/3 13:01

Re:

He was a jew.
Acts 8:27-28
"And he arose and went: and behold, a man of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was over all her treasure, who had come to Jerusalem to worship;
and he was returning and sitting in his chariot, and was reading the prophet Isaiah."

2016/6/3 13:10

Re:

Hi Julias, I think the point for me is that no matter who the Disciples were preaching to, Jew or Gentile, the preached Christ and Him crucified. They were so very bold as to say to the people, over and over again,that they had crucified the Christ and of course the people were " stabbed in the heart."

Oh how we would long to see a generation of today being " stabbed in the heart." Why do we not see it to any great degree? Is it perhaps that we do not have the same boldness as the Apostles and the early church to say unto an angry crowd " You crucified the Christ!"

The Greek word for the phrase " stabbed in the heart," is katanusso." It means to thoroughly pierce, to violently agitate. So much so that men and woman cried out " what must we do to be saved." This is conviction and it had nothing to do with the law and everything to do with the fact then men, all men of the world, who each have a portion of the light of Christ according to John 1, are convicted of Christ crucified for them and for their sins. They already know they are sinners. But to think that they crucified the Christ and then to find that despite being guilty of the greatest sin of all, participating in the death of the Son of God, there is mercy to be found at that very same cross. It is the mystery of justice and mercy entwined on Calvary!.........bro Frank

2016/6/3 13:21

Re:

Men are convicted of their sinfulness when they are in the presence of a man who is filled with the Spirit and it barely matters what he says or how bold he is - look at the example of Charles Finney and the girl in the factory who only had to see his face to be convicted after she had mocked him.

The fact that it us not happening in the West these days can mean only one thing.

2016/6/3 13:31
proudpapa

Re: It is Christ crucified and not the law, that convicst the hearts of men.

The Law/law indirectly/directly is instrumental in all conversions.

What is sin ? "..sin is the transgression of the law."

"..where no law is, there is no transgression."

If a man does not believe himself a sinner than he does not see himself in need of a Savior.

How does man know himself a sinner, because he has transgressed the the standard both within himself and also Gods standard that is revealed in the Law.

As far as I am aware every single Preacher on SI that I am aware of is in agreement with me on this.

2016/6/3 13:31Profile

Re:

The most vivid depiction of Jesus dying on the cross is found in Isaiah 53. The picture of the cross is so vivid in Isaiah 53 that I've Been told bu Messianic Jews that Orthodox Jews will not read that selection in their Torah. I guess they're afraid of being converted by coming face-to-face with the cross.

All that being said it is Christ crucified that is preached that will draw all men to him. For Jesus said if I be lifted up I will draw all men to Myself. The implication there is that Jesus would be lifted up on the cross. As such the cross is that which draws the sinner to the Lord Jesus Christ. It is at the cross where the sinner comes face-to-face with his own sin.

Simply my thoughts.

2016/6/3 13:34

Re:

thank you for the correction, Tozsu.

Amen, Brenda, Frank, and PP.

When you preach Jesus Christ, you are preaching about a man that died sinless. This is already communicating to the hearer that there is a difference between being sinful and sinless. So, preaching Jesus will cover all the bases. Now, if like Elizabeth Elliot and her husband encountering a tribe that knows nothing of sin, obviously you have to communicate to them that they need a Savior by showing them that without Christ they are lost? And why are they lost? Because of sin and you have to show them why they are sinners.

I find myself agreeing with all of you.

When I preach Jesus, all of your subjects invariably come up.

2016/6/3 13:37

Re:

Quote:
by bearmaster on 2016/6/3 13:34:11

The most vivid depiction of Jesus dying on the cross is found in Isaiah 53. The picture of the cross is so vivid in Isaiah 53 that I've Been told bu Messianic Jews that Orthodox Jews will not read that selection in their Torah. I guess they're afraid of being converted by coming face-to-face with the cross.

All that being said it is Christ crucified that is preached that will draw all men to him. For Jesus said if I be lifted up I will draw all men to Myself. The implication there is that Jesus would be lifted up on the cross. As such the cross is that which draws the sinner to the Lord Jesus Christ. It is at the cross where the sinner comes face-to-face with his own sin.

Simply my thoughts.

Many think the "Suffering Servant" of Isaiah 53 is Israel.

2016/6/3 13:39

Re: PP

Brother I don't know if every single preacher on SI is in agreement with the preaching of the law for conversion. I think some believe to preach the cross is sufficient to see sinners come to salvation in Jesus.

Actually we don't need the law to convict of sin but the Holy Spirit. For Jesus said and John 16:8-11,

... And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; and concerning righteousness because I go to the father and you no longer see me; and concerning judgement, because the ruler of this world has been judged...

It is the ministry of the Holy Spirit to convict of sin. This is what happened in the passages that brother Frank brought to our attention. The Jews that Peter was preaching to were smitten in their heart because they had crucified the Lord of Glory. Not because they violated the law of Moses. Though I suppose an argument could be made that they had violated the Commandment Thou shalt not murder. But Peter was not preaching law that day. He was preaching Christ crucified. And because he pointed people to the Cross of Christ 3000 where saved on that first day. The church was birthed.

My thoughts bro.

2016/6/3 13:47

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy