SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : HOW does a Christian NOT sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Yuehan

Ok bro. Here we go......

Please share testimonies of how walking in the obedience that comes by faith will enable us to not sin against Jesus.

Hope I expreseed that right.

Breaux Bear.......:):):)

2016/5/20 12:07

Re:

"Sister not trying to be funny. How do we abide in Christ by obedience?"

You answered it.
Our faith is our obedience. Look at the examples in Hebrews 11.
When his real relationship started with God, Paul was surrendered and ready to obey.
Acts 9:6
...Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? ...
Practically when we are ready to do his will, we do not want to do our own "self thing" that's when we get to know his will. And this should be continuous/daily like a relationship. It is more important to listen to him than "do a perfect job on our own".

2016/5/20 12:12
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Resisting Temptation: What’s Faith Got to Do With It?

Let’s face it: temptation is a common occurrence in our daily lives. No one is immune; even Jesus was tempted. What does faith have to do with resisting temptation? Everything!

What is temptation? Boiled down to basics, temptation is simply Satan’s attempt to convince us that his way is better than God’s way. He does this by preying on our lack of belief. What lack of belief? Our lack of belief in a God that cares about our daily lives and who is grieved deeply when we succumb to temptation, but who will bless us when we resist.

When we succumb to temptation, we are essentially saying to ourselves: “God won’t really mind that I do this. Maybe He won’t even notice. At any rate, what I will gain from succumbing to temptation outweighs any potential gain from resisting." That’s what Satan wants us to believe! James 1:14-15 says: [B]ut each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

Why was Jesus able to resist temptation, every time? Because He had the faith to believe that the fruits of obeying the Father outweighed any seeming “benefit” from succumbing to the Enemy. But how did He have such faith? Because He was close to the Father, all of the time. You have probably noticed that when you are in a period of spiritual dryness, you are much more likely to yield to temptation. Conversely, then you are walking in the Spirit, close to God, you are able to resist temptation. You don’t let it grab hold. In other words, you win! Believe it or not, we are able to live holy lives. But it takes diligence and discipline—and faith.

2016/5/20 12:54Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Here is God's great secret of holiness; not fighting sin, but being filled with God. It is the old principle of the expulsive power of a stronger force and a supreme affection. Just as water excludes air from that tumbler when it is filled with water; just as light excludes the darkness when the room is lighted, so the indwelling of the Holy Ghost excludes the presence and power of sin..... A. B. Simpson

2016/5/20 13:15Profile

Re: Todd

Whoa. Easy big fellow. I was putting out the obedience of faith in response to a previous post. To generate discussion on how not to sin. Thats all.

Whoo. Need to chill bro.:)

2016/5/20 13:24
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Well honestly it really seems to come down to what we feed on.... You are what you eat... "Unless you eat my flesh"...

1 John 2 talks about not loving the world which is to say not to feed on the world for all it (can produce in us) is lust... Which the enemy can then use to draw us away through temptation because we are filled with things that he has control of.

Which is how Jesus could resist him and say "he hath nothing in me"....

But we will consume what we love, what draws our affection... So the whole purpose of most of what Paul talks about is keeping Christ first. Firstly by declaring He is preeminate and then encouraging us to daily make Him so in our personal lives by "putting off the old man with his lusts, and putting on Christ"

However this will become a "work" as has been pointed out by Tuc unless we have received the "love of God" or "love of the truth"...

John 17 contains the last words our Lord spoke as a free man (civilly speaking) and I'd encourage you all to spend some time feeding there, it's nutrient rich!
And you'll find in the last verse the "key" as it were to this whole thing.... and that is that we have to receive the Fathers love for His Son. There is a very practical reason Jesus prayed this and its effects are eternal.

26 "And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them."

Notice Jesus asks that not only would He be in us,...but also the love of God for His Son would also be in us!

So if we've received this and keep Him first (by daily renewing our minds to the truth) then faith will come quite naturally much like when you first fell in love with your spouse,.. You couldn't help but to do them things that pleased them no matter the cost... But then the cares of the world got in the way and we became distracted. Tho we still did these "good works" they were now more out of habit, obligation, or expectation. You know what it's called when we do the works we once did out of a compulsion of love but now out of habit or obligation?..... Religion! Ha!

Stale,... no life in it~

2016/5/20 13:33Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

One of the reasons this is so important is because this is true "fellowship" or communion with God. He communes or fellowships with us exclusively through the shared love for His Son.

We have our left over relics and rituals and that's all fine but don't mistake that for communion,... it's just an act.

There is nothing more intimate that can be experienced by a human than sharing in Gods love for His Son,... That's why we are called brothers, that's why there is a spirit of adoption,... This is tabernacling which is what God the Father wants with us here and now~

2016/5/20 13:51Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

So to answer brother Blaines OP question rather bluntly...
The way a Christian doesn't sin is by not focusing on not sinning! But focusing on Jesus, real life!

A Christian tryin not to sin is like a race car driver trying not to crash,... that's not racing!
Or a surfer trying not to fall off his board,... That's not surfing!
The only way to do either of these is to accept the inherent risk involved and allow your love of the sport itself to guide you...
And IF you crash or fall off,.. Don't freak out and pout, humble yourself and get back up and keep going- for if any man sin, we have an advocate before the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:)

God is love
God is a spirit
God is light

2016/5/20 13:58Profile

Re:

I like your analogy, JFW.

"There is no fear in the perfect love of God"

2016/5/20 15:26

Re: Qotation by Jerry Bridges

I came across this quotation by Jerry Bridges out of his book The Pursuit Of Holiness. I think this quote will address some of what has been posted regarding obedience. Here is the quote...

... Too often, we are defeated by this or that sin. No, we are not defeated. We are simply disobedient. It might be good if we stop using the terms victory and defeat to describe our progress in holiness. Rather we should use terms obedience and disobedience. When I say I am defeated by some sin, I am unconsciously slipping out from under my responsibility. I am saying something outside of me has defeated me. But when I say I am disobedient, that places the responsibility for my sin squarely on me. We may in fact be defeated but the reason we are defeated is because we have chosen to disobey.

We need to brace ourselves up and to realize that we are responsible for thoughts, attitudes, and actions. We need to reckon on the fact that we died to sin's reign. That it no longer has any dominion over us. That God has united us with the risen christ and all his power and has given us the Holy Spirit to work in us. Only as we accept our responsibility and appropriate God's provision will we have any progress in our pursuit of holiness...

Brothers and sisters it seems our late brother, Jerry Bridges, has hit the nail on the head. Do you agree with the above quote. If not, I would be curious as to why.

Posted for discussion.

2016/5/20 17:25

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy