SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Canadians Panic As Food Prices Soar On Collapsing Currency

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Canadians Panic As Food Prices Soar On Collapsing Currency

It was just yesterday when we documented the continuing slide in the loonie, which is suffering mightily in the face of oil’s inexorable decline.

As regular readers are no doubt acutely aware, Canada is struggling through a dramatic economic adjustment, especially in Alberta, the heart of the country’s oil patch. Amid the ongoing crude carnage the province has seen soaring property crime, rising food bank usage and, sadly, elevated suicide rates, as Albertans struggle to comprehend how things up north could have gone south (so to speak) so quickly.

The plunging loonie “can only serve to worsen the death of the 'Canadian Dream'" we said on Tuesday.

As it turns out, we were right.

The currency's decline is having a pronounced effect on Canadians' grocery bills.

As Bloomberg reminds us, Canada imports around 80% of its fresh fruits and vegetables. When the loonie slides, prices for those goods soar. "With lower-income households tending to spend a larger portion of income on food, this side effect of a soft currency brings them the most acute stress" Bloomberg continues.

Of course with the layoffs piling up, you can expect more households to fall into the "lower-income" category where they will have to fight to afford things like $3 cucumbers, $8 cauliflower, and $15 Frosted Flakes.

As Bloomberg notes, James Price, director of Capital Markets Products at Richardson GMP, recently joked during an interview on BloombergTV Canada that "we're going to be paying a buck a banana pretty soon."

Have a look at the following tweets which underscore just how bad it is in Canada's grocery aisles. And no, its not just Nunavut: it from coast to coast:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-13/canadians-panic-food-prices-soar-collapsing-currency

2016/1/13 21:13
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Canadians Panic As Food Prices Soar On Collapsing Currency

I personally was shocked when a very small celery bunch was $3.99 we had a $10 turkey and we wanted to make dressing. If saints are able to grow their own vegetables this really will be a good thing to do. Inflation on good is actually right in the situation of North America, but the USA has not allowed this so it is a huge bubble that is going to burst and look much worse quickly.

2016/1/14 7:33Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings

I had no idea that food prices had gotten so high in Canada. I was out shopping yesterday and I thought some of the fresh fruits were rather high in price where I live but nothing like those in Canada are seeing...

God Bless
maryjane

2016/1/14 11:18Profile

Re:

Yes it seems the Lord is no longer able to provide because.....................

2016/1/14 12:08

Re: Canadians Panic As Food Prices Soar On Collapsing Currency

brothers, and Julius especially, thank you for posting this, too am a fellow ZH reader. I know we've had our "go arounds", and let us just love in Christ.

I have to beg forgiveness that I didn't post what I know and have done for the coming days, because I didn't think it right to post such on a Godly forum dedicated to revival. in 2011, I literally "fled Judea" for the desolate areas, my county the size of Manhattan has 20,000 souls, and is literally the land of milk and honey....I walk around in $9 sneakers because God gave me a "Joseph ministry".

if it is good and pleasing, let me post a URL from an article written today about 70 things to do (pay attention to number 7)

but the most important thing the man skipped is to KNOW and follow Messiah Jesus...because the most deadly thing is FEAR.....as we have two choices of heart space....fear or Faith.....and believe me, in truth and authenticity, sometimes fear flies thru my spirit like a fell wind, but then I lean on the Lord, lean on the Most Holy Faith, this Wonderful Deposit....and then the Shalom of God comes.....supernatural....as we, followers of Messiah Jesus ARE and should be supernatural beings.

Brothers Greg and the Rev, I truly bleed for Canada, i'm sorry I withheld any knowledge I might have in these regards. There is a whole subset of folks called "preppers" (a word I don't embrace) MANY of them are secular preppers, its their "religion"....they want to hang on to this earthly life SO BAD, its all they think and talk about....and they buy all sorts of expensive "survival toys", when they fail to realize the most simple of pathogenic microbes could kill them in a matter of a few pain soaked days or weeks..its rather sad.

there is much more I could write, but I grieve.....I know why Jesus wept over Jerusalem,i love Him so....and Julius, i'm sorry if I hurt you or spoke ill.....i'm too "Israeli" sometimes.....in face to face life?....i'm a sweet man, please forgive me, and may God love you tenderly....all of you, i'll post the 70 things to do.....and I know I've posted it a lot, but i'll post the comp, "A Kingdom of Priests" to remind us of who we REALLY are, and maybe that will comfort us in Christ Jesus, neil

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/70-tips-that-will-help-you-survive-what-is-about-to-happen-to-america

A Kingdom of Priests
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=12043

2016/1/14 21:06
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Brother Neil,

Thank you for posting this, if the Holy Spirit is leading saints to prepare and move to a location that He has ministry for them, this is very important and should not be mocked. Many believers feel it is fear and lack of faith to prepare for something that God is warning many believers about. It is also as brother shared not seeking to extend our earthly lives but to be prepared to serve God's purposes and accept martyrdom or death gladly if that is His will.

David Wilkerson clearly warned till his death for saints especially in large cities to have at least 30 day worth of food and water for each person.

This is the list on the website that Neil shared, strangely enough most people who lived 50 years ago had most things in place on that list, as it was NORMAL to have extra goods stored up especially for the winter months. We are NOW in a society where we live day to day or week to week and spend money on our immediate gratification.

--

1. A lot of the “experts” out there are urging people to get rid of all of their cash. That is a huge mistake. You are going to need cash to pay your bills – especially during the initial phases of the coming crisis. Today, 63 percent of all Americans are living paycheck to paycheck, and millions of them will be severely hurting almost immediately once they lose their jobs or their businesses go under during this new economic downturn.

2. Get to know your neighbors. As the coming time of trouble unfolds, you are going to want to have people around you that you can trust and depend on.

3. Learn how to grow a garden. Food costs will continue to rise and our food distribution system is far more vulnerable than most people would dare to imagine. Any way that you can become more “food independent” would be a good thing.

4. At this point, you should already have several years of emergency food stored up for each member of your family. And don’t forget to store additional food for friends and family members that haven’t prepared and will need to come stay with you.

5. Make a “bug out plan” for your family, and make certain that every member of your family knows what the rally points are in case you all get separated.

6. Every member of your family should have a “bug out bag“. These should contain everything that they will need in the event of a major emergency.

7. If you are going to “strategically relocate” before things get really bad in this country, hopefully you have already done so by now. If not, you are working on borrowed time.

8. When civil unrest starts really spiraling out of control, it would be in your interest to avoid “America’s death zones” if possible.

9. Always have the gas tanks in your vehicles at least halfway full. You never know when you will need to hit the road in an emergency situation.

10. Put away some extra fuel for your generator while fuel costs are low.

11. Think ahead about what medicines and medical supplies you and your family will need during a major crisis.

12. Try to stock up on things that will make good barter items when the overall economy begins to totally break down.

13. There are non-electric versions of various appliances. Some examples include washing machines and coffee makers.

14. How are you going to cook your food when the power goes out for an extended period of time? You may want to consider a sun oven if you don’t have one already.

15. Don’t have all of your eggs in one basket. That includes not having all of your money in one location. If you have a bank account, consider spreading that money around to two or three different bank accounts.

16. You will want to keep at least some cash at home in case you are not able to access ATM machines during a major crisis.

17. If you can get out of debt without jeopardizing your other preparations, you should consider doing so. Those that are “lean and mean” financially will be in much better shape – especially during the initial stages of the coming crisis.

18. Physical gold and silver are good ways to protect your wealth over the long-term. As I have warned repeatedly, we will continue to see big ups and big downs for precious metals, so if you are going to invest you have got to be able to handle the ride.

19. Reduce your expenses and get accustomed to a more minimal standard of living. Now is not the time to be spending lots of money on fancy new toys.

20. If you have the time and energy, starting a side business may not be a bad idea. That way if you lose your job, you still have some income coming in.

21. You need to have a plan for fresh water in the event of a major emergency. Without water none of us can survive, and is imperative that you have a plan to provide clean drinking water for your family when disaster strikes.

22. If you can afford to get partially or totally “off the grid”, that would be a very good thing. Many preppers are discovering that they can do amazing things with wind, solar and water power.

23. Anyone that has spent more than a few hours without power knows how frustrating this can be. You need to have a plan for how you are going to provide power to your home that is independent of the power company.

24. Rotate your food supplies. Eat your oldest stuff first even though it may be tempting to dig into the stuff that you just purchased.

25. If you have a baby, don’t forget the special things that your baby will need during a major crisis.

26. Many preppers totally forget about their pets. You should store the food and supplies that they will need during an extended emergency.

27. This may sound trivial, but the truth is that our entertainment-addicted society would become very bored and very frustrated if the grid suddenly went down for an extended period of time. Card games and other basic forms of entertainment can make enduring a crisis much easier.

28. In the years ahead, being able to defend your home is going to become increasingly important. When the economy crashes, people are going to start to become very desperate. And desperate people do desperate things.

29. No plan ever unfolds perfectly. When your plan is disrupted, what will you do? It will be imperative for all of us to have a back-up plan and to be flexible during the years ahead.

30. Do not go around and tell everyone in the area where you live about your prepping. If you do, then you may find yourself overwhelmed with “visitors” when everything falls apart.

The following are items that are commonly recommended by survivalist experts that you may want to consider storing in case they are needed during a major crisis or emergency…

31. Blankets

32. Warm Clothing

33. Gloves

34. Extra Flashlights

35. First Aid Kits

36. Lighters

37. Matches

38. Duct Tape

39. A Shovel

40. A Tent

41. Knives

42. Mylar Blankets

43. Body Armor

44. Salt

45. Propane

46. Vitamins

47. An Axe

48. A Can Opener

49. A Battery-Powered Radio

50. Extra Batteries

51. A Fire Extinguisher

52. A Sewing Kit

53. A Tool Kit

54. Comfortable Shoes Or Hiking Boots

55. A Map Of Your Area

56. A Compass

57. Sleeping Bags

58. Candles

59. A Camp Stove

60. An LED Headlamp

61. Lightsticks

62. Heirloom Seeds

63. Clorox

64. Wood Socks, Sweaters And Mittens

65. Personal Hygiene Items

66. Ziplock Bags

67. A Watch Or Some Other Way To Tell Time

68. Extra Copies Of Your Financial Records

69. Spare Glasses

70. Prescription Medications

2016/1/14 21:27Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Neil

thank you for sharing the links. I have been in much prayer over these things for some time now as I have shared with you before :) In truth this is such a struggle for me to know what to do...As you said, I want to be clinging to JESUS. I want to follow HIS leading in what to do. I still don't know what the LORD would have me do in regards to future possible events. I know the days are dark, I know times are short and things are progressing at an ever increasing rate but I don't know what the LORD would have me be about in regards to this. I don't want to give in to fear and begin "storing up" but I also don't want to ignore the clear wisdom GOD is speaking through others around me. I find myself wondering some things, "if" these coming future trials are truly the end times then what would I be "storing up" for? I understand being prepared for a few weeks, or even a month until things get back to normal but there are those preparing for years to come and then what???? I think this is where my confusion comes in, how does one prepare for the "end times" except to be in the WORD daily, taking up our cross and following hard after JESUS.

Anyway these are things on my heart...thank you for your loving kindness to allow me to ramble on so :) I think in the end I just really want to know HIS heart in these things and to have the courage to act on them by HIS strength...does that make sense?

GOD Bless you brother
maryjane

2016/1/15 12:15Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

sister,

I have asked the same questions and felt the same promptings of the Spirit of God.

This quote by Dietrich Bonhoeffer helps for me. I believe some saints will be "set up" to house other believers who are literally fleeing. And also temporarily housing traveling evangelists who will minister in such a dark hard time.

We must all just do as the Holy Spirit leads us.

“The Christian will be hounded from place to place, subjected to physical assault, maltreatment and death of every kind. We are ap­proaching an age of widespread persecution. Therein lies the true significance of all the movements and conflicts of our age. Our adversaries seek to root out the Christian Church and the Christian faith because they cannot live side by side with us, because they see in every word we utter and every deed we do, even when they are not specifically directed against them, a condemnation of their own words and deeds. They are not far wrong. They suspect too that we are indifferent to their condemnation. Indeed they must admit that it is utterly futile to condemn us. We do not reciprocate their hatred and contention, although they would like it better if we did, and so sink to their own level.”

2016/1/15 13:07Profile

Re:

I believe God is raising up "Joseph's" in our day and I believe He has done this in the past. At the same time Believers have and always will suffer. Our lives are like the alabaster box. When we are broken a sweet ointment (redemptive life) comes out and many are touched.

As Greg said, "we must all do as the Lord leads". Every member of the Body functioning as He has called them to function.

2016/1/15 15:10

Re:

Just like to share some thoughts and a few things from my own experience.
I don't know if the headline is made up a bit to get our attention.
He talks about the "Collapsing Currency" , but if you look at the chart you can see that the CDN has been going down for over 4 years.

Quote: "Canada imports around 80% of its fresh fruits and vegetables".
Most of you probably know TPP will be signed soon, that gives big corporations even more power and we have less say where our food comes from. To grow some fresh stuff is probably a good idea, as long as it is still legal ! My other concern is that if once we need "Food banks " etc to get by we might have to be registered and they want to know all sorts of details as we have already heard from people who needed medical care.

I looked at the list that "preppers " recommend -
60. An LED Headlamp - they are most useful and you get them cheap now! Have at least one for each family member and spare batteries !
Candles can be a bit romantic but they are not very useful and can be a fire risk.
9. Always have the gas tanks in your vehicles at least halfway full - good idea and have a full spare container
55. A Map Of Your Area 56. A Compass, - are only useful if you know how to use them !
30. Do not go around and tell everyone in the area where you live about your prepping - very important.!!
The "prodical sons and daughters " will probably be the first ones to come to your door and ask for "help"
Then there is the "Entitlement Generation" or Millennials !
This is something I have been learning the hard way in the last few years!

How should we prepare and how much?
I can't answer that as all our opinions and circumstances are different.
Those who live in a big City probably need to prepare a bit different from those in the country.
Those who know what happened in Germany on NYE know that civil unrests and unprovoked and coordinated attacks against females are increasing
If you have a family and young daughters then this is probably your first concern.

I would suggest we should be prepared for at least several days, if you want to prepare for a month, fine.
Personally I'm not a "prepper " who prepares for a few years.
(James 4:13-15 )13 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— 14 yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring.

But we could have a natural disaster or Civil unrests, or a "Cyprus style " bank crises etc etc.
I can tell you the first few days of a disaster will be chaotic, people panic etc. Then it is important that you can stay calm and make careful decisions.
Communication with your family and close friends is also important, electronic devices might not work, have a back up plan, some kind of an Assembly Point.

Most importantly, as others mentioned, seek the Lord for His guidance and wisdom and have at least some portions of the written Word handy.

Maranatha ! Your kingdom come !

2016/1/15 22:16

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy