SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : 'Star Wars'-Themed Church Service?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

No one here says use it to draw men to Christ. As TMK said, it can be used as a tool. For example, SW is a spiritually themed story. The Force is a being, or something beyond men. Why can we not take parts of SW films that are key to the role of the "force", open our bibles, sit down or even in SS classes or the like and critically examine how a believer should think of God and the spiritual realm? Is that wrong? How? Not as a popularity boost but BECAUSE of the popularity of SW-thinking it impacts believers.

2015/12/19 10:46Profile
lovejt

Re:

I'll just say that if a Church is Spirit-led, not entertainment-based, and the leaders are walking in the Spirit.....then they can give a blessed message...even if they wanted to use 'Star Wars' as in analogy or parallel to bring out points in Scripture. Any movie, any situations and any experiences.

2015/12/19 14:23Profile

Re:

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
There are many responses here on this thread and mine is very serious because I am one who has "lost" a child to the seductions of many of these "entertainments" philosophies and idolatry. I don't really see any other words for these stories.
I was saved and born again in 1975. In 1977 I was being discipled in a small Baptist church where the Holy Spirit was moving mightily. I was baptized in water and in the Holy Spirit in 1977 and my life was radically changed. At the same time a couple of movies came out. Superman and Star Wars. As a young believer in Christ who was being changed from the inside out, I no longer wanted to go to these kinds of films, however I was a new believer, an American and a movie buff. A Christian man took me out to these movies and saw nothing wrong with them. Everything in me was battling!!!!The flesh vs. the Spirit no doubt.
I'm not blaming these films for anything except there was a compromise that began to come into the church in the young people where I was attending. A rift began to take place. If you are as old as I am you know what I'm talking about.

Over the years, I myself gave into "harmless" stuff and let my children indulge. My husband was not of the opinion that you had to look radical in your faith. We did not agree on much regarding these things and eventually he moved on and left the family.

As a single mother I was not always able to control what my last child watched or did. Gradually I gave into much of the worldly things because I was weary and tired and the churches we attended were not so willing to separate from the world. Many a youth group left my child confused and wary. My child soon considered her mother to be "legalistic" and hardline. And Satan did a good job of convincing me that I was a party pooper, a hypocrite and an unloving Christian.

I knew in my heart and by reading the Word and crying out to God that this was not true. The truth was I was jealous for the holiness of our God and wanting to share the good news that He heals the broken hearted, breaks the chains of bondage and brings us into a relationship with God that will make one say "Better is one day in your courts than thousands elsewhere."

Many of you know what I'm talking about. Satan has been subtly and now not so subtly stealing the hearts of our children from loving the Word of God for a long time now.
I know what I'm talking about. The idols that have invaded my child's life (now 22 and living outside my home) would shock you. It shocks me. And I am on my face pleading to God for her salvation and deliverance.

This is a very disturbing things when we as Christians believe it is alright to let the very things that are destroying faith in God into our lives and saying that we can use it as "tool" to bring people to God.

No, this can never be. This morning I read in I Samuel when the Ark of the Covenant was stolen by the Philistines. They set it in their temple to Dagon, their god. When they went in to worship their god Dagon, the statue was fallen face forward before the Ark of the Covenant. This is the Power of GOD, not just then but now in the life of a believer who has the Living God within him because the Holy Spirit lives in us. The small god of "The force" of Starwars should fall face forward and break into a million useless pieces before our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. All glory and power to Him.

Am I angry? You bet I am. I'm angry that we have allowed Satan so much leeway in our lives and in our children's lives.

Today the Youth Group at the church I am attending is taking the teens to "Star Wars". Am I angry, yes!!!!!

Last week in our church we sang "Rise up O Men of God, Rise up O Women of Truth." Ok, I will. I know I will get pounded by the enemy, but I will also know that the God of the Universe will be pleased.

I exhort you all to rise up and stand up for the Truth, who is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of David, Isaiah and Malachi, the God of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and Peter, the LIVING GOD who is above all other gods, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit...In Jesus Name I pray.

2015/12/19 14:32
brothagary

Re:

The force is the kudalundi or chi force from Hindu tradition ,,,I don't know how we can teach Christian principle from a movie about pagan principals ,,,,be like watching a witchcraft movie and saying magic is the same as prayer and miricals,,,,,,,,,poppy cock

2015/12/19 18:16Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Thank you sister Leslie for sharing your testimony and heart with us. It was very refreshing. I can relate to much of what you wrote having two little ones myself and trying to raise them in the Lord's way. A while back I decided to boycott Disney due to being convicted concerning their wicked subliminal messages in their movies, as well as Marvel and DC superheroes for the same reason; as well as certain Nintendo Wii video games. I think I must have trashed near a thousand bucks worth of toys and video games and was left with much fewer choices in toys and video games to buy my kids.

Regarding this new movie, here are a few excerpts from Christiananswers.net’s review of it to add to what proudpapa posted:

Quote:
“We must too consider the idea of The Force, and how it differs drastically from the God of the Bible. The Force of “Star Wars” can essentially be summed up as an impersonal energy that permeates and exists in all matter, and that consists of both good and evil. The impersonal nature of The Force is reminiscent of the god Brahman inHinduism. Furthermore, Hindu teaching holds that Brahman exists in all material things, a teaching known as pantheism. The enigmatic Maz Kanata (Lupita Nyong'o) at one point in this movie spells out the pantheistic nature of The Force saying that it “moves through and surrounds every living thing.” The concept of The Force consisting of both light and dark sides comes in part from the ancient Chinese philosophy of Taoism in which the ying and yang contain both opposing and balancing forces.

The God of the Bible stands in stark contrast to The Force of “Star Wars” in all of these areas; He is a personal being who created all things, yet He remains distinct and holy above His creation. He cares for His creation, but He is not to be confused with it. A person cannot simply tap into God as he may tap into The Force in the “Star Wars” universe. Rather, the biblical God is a transcendent personal being that a human being, created in His image, relates to by repenting and embracing Him as Lord, or by rebelling against Him.”

“Violence: Heavy / Profanity: Minor—“Oh my G*d” (1), “h*ll” (2), “d*mn” (1) / Sex/Nudity: Minor”

So we basically have a movie that has Buddhistic and Hinduistic overtones throughout, contains blasphemy and has minor nudity. I think that’s enough for Christians to NOT see it as entertaining. Yet there is so much compromise and desensitization and stifling of consciences within Christendom as a whole.

I agree that we do not need this Luciferian movie to preach the gospel. It is the gospel itself that is the power of God unto salvation for everyone who believes, not some secular/Buddhistic and Hinduistic movie.

This is a clip of a brother I know who took advantage of the occasion to preach the gospel on the night of the premiere of this film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j5gP1_tAis

For those that disagree and still see this movie as something that is okay to use to spread the gospel, God bless you, I do believe that God can and does sometimes use such types of gospel presentations (though I’d say very minimally ;) ).

2015/12/19 18:39Profile
yuehan

Re:

Do you guys read stories (fiction and non-fiction), apart from the Bible?

Can you share those which you believe are OK for Christians to enjoy?

Books, movies, games...

2015/12/19 18:40Profile
brothagary

Re:

I think you could watch star wars ,wile seeing it what it is rather then seeing it asBenin theme,,,,,,and knowing the whole world is under the sway of the evil one ,,,,,and so is basically every Hollywood move ,,,,shake your head at it wile seeing the subtly of satan ,,and think of how Christ will crush all worlds ideas and principles when he comes ....

2015/12/19 20:04Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Here's a church in the US doing this as well, this one on Christmas Eve:

http://www.liquidchurch.com/media-cosmic-christmas/

The name "Liquid Church" is very telling if you ask me, talk about watering things down.

2015/12/19 20:32Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

sounds apostate...sad

2015/12/19 21:59Profile
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Re:

Just came across this thread. I'm going to have to respectfully agree with TMK. I use to be a very legalistic individual. I rebuked some of my friends once for going to a country concert...wait for it... ON A SUNDAY!!! Let's not preach a gospel that we ourselves can't live up to. I think we as believers should be radical! Radical about the person Jesus Christ. I believe there is such a thing as personal convictions and we must be careful not to impose our convictions on others. Charles Spurgeon use to catch a lot of flack for smoking cigars and I love how he responded. Something along the lines of there are already 10 commandments and I have no intention of adding an 11th. Tonight before I go to bed I will smoke a cigar for the glory of God.If you feel as though you should refrain from seeing Star Wars then do so for the glory of God. I am going to go see Star Wars as soon as I get the chance and I will do so with the joy of the lord in my heart. Let me be clear, as a minister I would never have a Star Wars themed service. However I will not condemn someone who does. There is a correct way handle it if it is going to be done. God bless

2015/12/19 22:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy