SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Report Details Why Gospel for Asia Lost ECFA Membership

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

Gospel for Asia spent thousands on reputation management after negative stories surfaced

Gospel for Asia spent thousands on reputation management after negative stories surfaced

mark-woods Mark Woods CHRISTIAN TODAY CONTRIBUTING EDITOR September 2015

Gospel for Asia, the mission organisation founded by KP Yohannan, hired a reputation management company to counterbalance negative stories appearing about it as a result of revelations by former staff, according to information received by blogger Warren Throckmorton.

In a post yesterday, Throckmorton revealed that GFA hired a company called Reputation Management Consultants (RMC), which created websites specifically in order to manipulate Google search results to make sure positive stories appeared further up search lists.

Seventy thousand dollars was set aside to pay for the service, though it is not clear that the whole amount was used. Former staff told Throckmorton that it was earmarked to pay RMC for seven months.

"The overall focus of the Inoculation Campaign is to remove any negative information from the front page of search engines with new content that is consistently 'fresh' and stands the best chance of outranking current negative search engine listings." In its March report it says that it will "continue to strengthen created assets and promote existing positive material to overcome the negatives found on the first page for Gospel for Asia keyterms. This month we will also be purchasing some custom domains for the campaign."

Questions about GFAs financial and other practices began to air in June 2014 when a group of former staff members known as the GFA Diaspora contacted its board with criticisms.

The latest revelations, about the amount GFA was prepared to put in to managing reputational damage from GFA Diaspora publicity, are bound to raise fresh questions about its priorities.

2015/12/16 15:14

Re: From: Calvary Chapel Auckland Nov 28 2015 Re: GFA

Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2015 3:16 PM
Subject: To Calvary Chapel Auckland concerning Gospel for Asia
To: Calvary Chapel Auckland <[email protected]>
Dear Church,
For approximately 17 years, Calvary Chapel Auckland has supported the work of Gospel for Asia which is now primarily The Believer’s Church.
Originally there was close alignment between Calvary Chapels generally and the work of Gospel for Asia.
However the organisational and ecclesiastical direction of Gospel for Asia has radically changed so that it is now antithetically different.
We do not believe in transubstantiation (this is supposedly that the bread actually becomes the body of Jesus, and the cup actually becomes the blood of Jesus), total submission or focus to a man, calling the leader “father,” or Priest, taking a vow of total submission to that leader and his successor for life, or crossing ourselves in a liturgy.
It is said that a picture speaks a thousand words so here are some photos, which visually depict some of the differences, but allude to many of the other contrasts that now exist: the metal image (used in Believers Churches, for all convocations, including countries other than India), the lighting of candles, the wearing of robes, etc.. The photos below are from The Believer’s Church Website and Carmel Engineering College (Believers Church own and operate this) as identified in the heading.
This group has amassed somewhere over $200,000,000.00 (one report says USD$250,000,000.00) US Dollars that are on deposit in India.
They now have an Engineering University, own a Hospital, a Rubber Plantation and other businesses that generate from $35,000,000.00 – $70,000,000.00 US Dollars annually.
The three Calvary Chapel Pastor’s who were on the GFA USA Board have all resigned after a lengthy investigation into the organization in many (if not all) of its various entities.
Brian, Gina, and Andrew Malcolm have decided their season of serving – 12 years now, of sacrificial, dedicated service, has ended.
The elders of Calvary Chapel Auckland have therefore decided to stop support for Gospel for Asia.
The Gospel for Asia office upstairs at the church has closed down and existing supporters of GFA will soon receive a letter from them explaining the position and your options.
We’ve been told KP Yohannan will write a letter but please understand in advance that it doesn’t alter our position here at Calvary Chapel Auckland, nor the greater Calvary Chapel family of churches.
You are of course free to decide whether you want to continue supporting Gospel for Asia.
Calvary Chapel Auckland is establishing our own missions budget (which almost every church has) and we are developing a clear and precise focus for outreach in New Zealand, the South Pacific through Calvary Chapel Radio (broadcasting now for over 10 years to Samoa, and more recently Rarotonga), and in other ways to spread the Gospel and help those in need in other countries.
May the Lord bless you all,
Calvary Chapel Auckland
Phone: 09 918 8000
Calvary Chapel Auckland

2015/12/16 15:43
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Let us not forget to pray for the countless missionaries that receive regular support from GFA to plant churches and evangelize in India. They and their families and fellowships will face great challenges.

2015/12/16 15:51Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Gospel for Asia spent thousands on reputation management after negative stories s

Quote:
My question is why is Greg Gordon practicing the same sorta defensive behaviors that KP is engaging in, in spite of the avalanche of evidence against KP and GFA? Why does Sermon Index continue to archive KP's sermons, which could induce people to give to a sketchy agency whose reputation is poor?

I know when the news of these financial issues broke earlier this year, and I discontinued my subscription to GFA sponsorship and announced it on Facebook, Greg and others accused me of spreading malicious gossip. And the findings of Warren Throckmorton have been simply dismissed as the baseless accusations of a devilish man with an agenda. And it has been said that these issues are just too complicated to understand, and that if we simply talk to the folks at GFA and pray, it'll all wash out in the end.

Greg seems to be hoping this will all just blow over in the same manner that KP seems to. He is completely dismissive of the evidence so far as I've seen. I don't understand why. I could make some guesses, which I won't do.

Brother Jimmy,

We have been long-time supporters of Gospel For Asia. The movement has seen 3 million new baptized believers in the 1040 unreached peoples areas of India. It is one of the largest church growths in the Indian 1040 window in the last 30 years.

Till the point of the ECFA expulsion there was alot of accusations and questions but it was hard to find any provable evidence of problems that were existing of the magnitude of disqualification or stopping giving. Along with failings in ministries and ministers there has also been a large increase of gossiping and slander in the body of Christ. Most christian news sites thrive off such sinful writing that really does not benefit the work of God.

Correction inside the body of Christ happens from other qualified elders correcting other elders. The idea of a blogger accusing others of problems and calling it biblical correction is hard to found in the bible. The apostle paul was not a journalist or did not major in expose. But rather had a genuine love for saints and any correction he gave was for the good of believers even an shunning for a time (1 cor 5).

We do not want the SermonIndex forums to mirror other blogger sites where we allow hundreds of threads exposing ministers and ministries and questioning everything. We would rather the forums here be helpful to the body of Christ in building each other up.

We are currently in the position of not actively promoting giving to Gospel for Asia and are praying for leaders and those involved that they can repent and humble themselves where needed to make corrections. There are still more questions and accustions then evidence in some cases.

Towards KP Yohannan we do not see profitability in removing his sermons, we should all be praying for his good, his walk with God and to repent of any area of sin or area of deception over his life. We would all want to be treated in the similar way if it were us in this situation.

Trust that helps you understand where my thinking is on the issue as that mattered to you in asking publicly in this way.

2015/12/16 15:57Profile

Re:

Greg

In 2003 from this post you stated that GFA supported you:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1015&forum=16

Today you stated you support GFA.
Do you still support them and do they still support you?

2015/12/16 17:03
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
"In 2003 from this post you stated that GFA supported you"

We used to have sponsors on the side of the site from a few ministries and GFA was one of them for a year or so. We have not had these for many years now.

I personally give to missions and ministries in lump sums by faith and do not sign up for monthly giving etc.

Hope that helps.

2015/12/16 18:48Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Correction inside the body of Christ happens from other qualified elders correcting other elders. The idea of a blogger accusing others of problems and calling it biblical correction is hard to found in the bible. The apostle paul was not a journalist or did not major in expose

The so-called "GFA diaspora" long ago attempted to bring correction to the problems they were seeing in GFA in a Biblical and Christ like manner. Dozens of them, many with many years personally invested and serving at that ministry attempted to do so. Those individuals were not heeded.

This issue is now a public one, and it being addressed in a public manner is perfectly Biblical. And considering that GFA has received billions of dollars in support over the last 30 years, by soliciting the church at large, it is all the more reasonable to talk about it openly, especially since such money's are received by GFA tax free courtesy of the United States government.

Quote:

Till the point of the ECFA expulsion there was alot of accusations and questions but it was hard to find any provable evidence of problems that were existing of the magnitude of disqualification or stopping giving.

This is simply untrue. The ECFA expulsion did nothing more than confirm a solid body of financial evidence that had been exposed for months online by Warren Throckmorton, and had been pointed out by some others prior to him. He did a bit more digging and confirmed by various means what those in the Diaspora and a few others had long been saying, The ECFA itself said very little about why GFA had their membership and certification revoked. Warren Theockmorton simply brought things that had already been exposed by others to a larger audience.

Because of this evidence, I ceased giving months before the ECFA termination. Many others had started doing so too. The evidence was very strong against GFA.

2015/12/16 19:02Profile

Re:

I read this on SI:

Quote:
Dr. K.P. Yohannan has been crisscrossing the globe for the last 40 years, challenging the body of Christ to discipleship. His call to a radical lifestyle—with an all-out commitment to Jesus—has left its impact on nearly every continent. To the Church caught up by the tidal waves of compromise and self-preservation, Yohannan's life message is as fresh as today's podcast yet as timeless as the scriptural mandate itself. Yohannan is the founder and international director of Gospel for Asia, a Christian mission organization that has brought the Good News of Christ to millions in South Asia over the last three decades.

Born in India, Dr. Yohannan, at the age of 16, responded to the Lord's call to serve Him in North India. In 1974, he came to the United States, where he received his theological training and pastored a church for four years. The Lord reminded Yohannan of the countless millions in Asia still waiting to learn of His love for them. In response, he resigned his pastorate, and he and his wife, Gisela Yohannan, started what is known today as Gospel for Asia. Today, the ministry supports thousands of national workers and vibrant congregations throughout South Asia. Additionally, Gospel for Asia's Bridge of Hope program cares for tens of thousands of children, helping them break out of the generational curses of poverty and hopelessness.

This is a nice write-up but who knows what is really true in this man's life? Can anyone step forward and vouch for this man and his ministry, anymore?

Will he choose pride over healing?
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=35299

I have often thought that topics that might expose "sacred cows" should never be off limits in a Christian forum. Afterall, "sacred cows" speak of idolatry. Everything of Christ should be able to stand up to the light and that which cannot stand up to the light deserves to be exposed. I also view the gfadiaspora blog as "letters to the Church". They must have come under intense pressure to not talk about this situation. Reading their blog they don't seem to be bitter or exercising a vendetta. On the contrary, they seem to be acting as the "qualified elders" and Watchmen that should have been awake. They are warning the sheepfold. There are sheep, wolves and sheepdogs and gfadiaspora seems to be the sheepdogs (watchmen).

I have heard this man lifted up so much over the years, though I never had any dealings with him and was never led to give. But, because he was praised by so many respected brothers, I tended to think very well of him. Let's just say, I never thought ill of him. Leadership in the Body of Christ can be very influential to other believers (often, too influential) and maybe this man is not the only man that should publicly repent. The sheep always learn very hard lessons in these situations one of which is that the Lord is the only one who can be trusted and they should depend more on Him rather then men for spiritual discernment and direction. Some, also learn that they have been ignoring the Lord's Word too long to come out of religious Babylon and now it is way past time but they can still do it.

I can say this because I also learned a very hard lesson 35 years ago when I was scammed by "deceitful workers" and "ministers of righteousness" of a very, very large sum of money (over 100,000.00). That is the time I realized how phony much of Christendom was and heeded the Lord's voice to "Come out of her, come out of her my people so that ye be not partakers of her sins and that ye receive not of her plagues". (Rev 18:4). I certainly was a partaker of her "plagues" that day but the Lord has been merciful to me in the years since and I have not put myself under "deceitful workers", since that time. I had much to learn back then about my own heart and motivations. There is probably much the same for the Body to learn from this episode.

As I have been reading all of these posts and perusing all of this man's teachings;( https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=category&cid=171&page=2 ), I felt surely that he would sprint to come to the light completely and fully and if they were not true, that he would be able to bring peace to the Body of Christ by providing the necessary proof. Any organization that brings in a quarter of a billion dollars would be keeping strict records in order to stay above reproach if ever accused of any wrong doing.

If the Body of Christ was plundered, repentance is in order, and the only right thing to do would be to liquidate all holdings, shutdown the ministry, reimburse everyone that gave and spend the rest of his life making restitution to those he was unable to reimburse. Those who helped him cover-up, should join him in repenting publicly and making restitution. Restitution would be a manifestation of true repentance. It is not a small thing to plunder the Lord's Body. Most likely, most of the giving was sacrificial.

I do understand why wise and respected brothers were deceived. Paul says, "grievous wolves will enter in AMONG YOU, not sparing the flock". (Acts 20:29)

These men form close bonds of trust and brotherhood with the saints, and this is the most opportune time to take advantage of them. No one wants to believe that men can "transform themselves into apostles of Christ", but Paul had experiences with men that did and now we have the same experiences.

They do not spare the flock in the least and they truly live DELICIOUSLY off of the sheepfold as their "minister of righteousness."

"Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the MINISTERS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS; whose end shall be according to their works." (2 Cor 11:15)

..."DECEITFUL WORKERS TRANSFORMING THEMSELVES INTO THE APOSTLES OF CHRIST" (2 Cor 11:13)

The mark of the religious system, (false church, apostles, prophets, teachers, brethren, Babylon, Great Whore) is that she will in no way spare the flock, always taking advantage of the weak, committing spiritual fornication through deceit and living DELICIOUSLY off of the sheepfold.

Reminds me of the Amelakites who always attacked Israel, but they attacked the weak, the sick and the unsuspecting from the rear of the formation in the wilderness. They were the stragglers in the wilderness being picked off so easily by the wolves.

Sobering warning from the Lord.

Rev_18:7 How much she hath glorified herself, and lived DELICIOUSLY, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.
Rev_18:9 And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived DELICIOUSLY with her, shall bewail her, and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning,

It is sad that the religious kings of the sheepfold always seem to be exposed too late for many sincere people to be shielded from their treachery. But it has happened for millenia as men gain the confidence of others then treachery sets in. As I read the gfadiaspora website I do note that they are trying to protect other saints by exposing the fraud and they have been doing this for some time, now. I also note that they are not letting a "root of bitterness" spring up. Praise the Lord for that.

But where are the watchmen (elders in the Body)? Where were the watchmen and where are they now?

This has been the way of the false church (congregation), religious system in the OT, too. And the watchmen (spiritual leaders) were blind and ignorant and they fell into spiritual slumber while the sheep were being taken advantage of. They should have been warning Israel, but they fell into a slumber from false security thinking everything was ok. And when they were awakened, they only wanted to protect themselves.

"His watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber." (Isa 56:10)

The warnings and red flags from the sheep (former workers at GFA) were apparently not being heeded and it seems that more than just one man is involved in this scam as he is being shielded. And while warnings went unheeded, the "beasts" continued to plunder and devour.

"All ye beasts of the field, come to devour, yea, all ye beasts in the forest" (Isa 56:9)

We see so much deceit and greed and avarice today and Jesus keeps calling, "To come out of her". We want so much to give to an "organization" that is true and honest and doing the Lord's work. We want to be involved in something BIG and make a difference. May I suggest that there is something for the Body of Christ to do, also? Why do we suffer fools so easily? Do we not read our Bibles and if we read them do we believe what we read?

"For ye suffer fools gladly, seeing ye yourselves are wise. FOR YE SUFFER, IF A MAN BRING YOU INTO BONDAGE, IF A MAN DEVOUR YOU, IF A MAN TAKE OF YOU, IF A MAN EXALT HIMSELF, if a man smite you on the face." (2 Cor 11:19-20)

What is it that the Church will learn from this episode of Church history?

The "religious kings of the sheepfold" will continue to plunder and it really does not matter if we listen to all the great sermons that have ever been preached if we continue to be deceived by our own hearts and the "greedy dogs". Only a close fellowship with Christ will protect us. But, we don't have to be deceived. Do you believe that? We should not feel obligated to trust every man no matter who is marketing them. May the Lord cause us to drink deep of Him and stop being enamored by men and organizations and BIG movements. I pray we can believe that our own ordinary, everyday life and interaction with the saints and lost sinners is just as important if not more so than what these big organizations are marketing and purported to be doing. IF THE LORD IS NOT TELLING YOU TO DO SOMETHING, BY ALL MEANS DON'T BE GUILTED INTO COMPLYING. "My people hear my voice". If you don't recognize the sound of the Master's voice, then RUN THE OTHER WAY LIKE THE WIND.

Isa 56:11 Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: THEY ALL LOOK TO THEIR OWN WAY, EVERYONE FOR HIS GAIN, FROM HIS QUARTER.

2015/12/16 19:57

Re:

Hi Julias, can I ask why you quoted me? I genuinely know nothing about KP but I have no problems believing the reports of hundreds of his " ex-empolyees." The name that he had people call him or allowed people to call him is nauseating to me and this notion of total obedience to men is and always has been offensive to me. In fact, some of the major contentions I have had publicly and privately with bro Greg has been over this nonsense of total obedience to men. God alone gets the saints total obedience, and the mantra of " strong leadership," has usually been a buzz phrase for control and cultish behavior. Just thought I would clarify.............bro Frank

2015/12/16 20:25

Re:

Frank

He quoted you quoting me quoting the other guy because we are not the best of buddies.

2015/12/16 20:33

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy