SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Modern English Version (MEV) has anyone used it?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Thank you dear brother, I never heard of the EMTV.

2015/11/13 0:50Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Thought this article was interesting in terms of spelling out the differences between the Textus Receptus and the Majority Text, as well as the differences between those two and the Critical Text which is the method used for all the modern versions. I personally have been using the NKJV for several years for study and memorization, mainly because I've figured I'll "place it safe" since the modern versions do not include certain portions that the KJV and NKJV include. However, I must admit I thought this article made good, reasonable points on the side of the modern versions:

http://www.gotquestions.org/majority-text.html

2015/11/13 1:11Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

A brother wanted to share this translation that he is using, I am not sure if it is from the Textus Receptus: http://www.amazon.com/SOVEREIGN-CREATOR-Testament-Translation-Commentary-ebook/dp/B00GR9GXPO

EDIT: Here is a link giving alot more information on this transation: http://www.walkinhiscommandments.com/pickering3b.htm

2015/11/14 12:19Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

Thanks Greg for pointing out Pickering's translation. I am not familiar with it but will definitely check it out. The translator of the EMTV New Testament has a link on his webpage to an article by Pickering discussing the superiority of the Majority Text verses the Critical Text used by the modern Bible versions. Here is that link:

http://www.walkinhiscommandments.com/Pickering/Identity/Appen-F.pdf

One serious error that the modern versions contain is in John chapter 7 where in verse 8 Jesus says he is not going up to the Feast in Jerusalem and then 2 verses later he goes up to the feast. This make Jesus out to be a LIAR! The Majority Text has Jesus saying he is not YET going up to the Feast and so when he does later eventually go up to the Feast he never lied.

2015/11/14 13:20Profile
proudpapa

Re:

RE: ///One serious error that the modern versions contain is in...///

The English speaking people have a plethora of translations. The fruit of this plethora of translations speaks for itself.

I believe that William Tyndale was called to translate the Scriptures into English, the Crowning of Tyndales Translation is the KJV.

Though many : good men, sincear men, learned men, etc have brought us a plethora of translations apart from that translation, I am not convinced that any of them originated from a Calling.

2015/11/14 16:41Profile
savannah

Re: Textus Recptus

The following Bible versions are based upon the Textus Receptus:

Tyndale's NT
The Coverdale Bible
Matthews Bible
The Great Bible
The Bishop's Bible
The Geneva Bible
LITV(Literal Version)Bible by Jay P. Green
Webster's 1833 Version
Young's Literal Version
ALT-NT(Analytical Literal Version - New Testament)

2015/11/15 4:32Profile

Re: Prsise for His Word

Father I thank you that you have given us your blessed Word. You gave us your blessed Word in Jesus. You gave us your blessed word through the Bible. You have given us good and many translations of the Bible. You have given us many good translations in different languages. I thank you for the multitude of ways your word is going forth to the nations. Be it in the written form, the visual form, the audio form, or storying. Your word is going forth and saving souls. Your word is edifying the saints. Lord for those who do not have access to your words such as those in restricted nations. May ways to get your word into their hands and hearts come forth. Dear Lord may we have a deeper love for your word as are persecuted brothers and sisters do. Lord we praise you that you have not left us without instruction. For you have given us the BIBLE.......Believers Inatructions Before Leaving Earth. May this precious word richly dwell within our heart. Because of Him who is your word. I pray this in Jesus blessed name Amen.

2015/11/15 7:33
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

True witness wrote: One serious error that the modern versions contain is in John chapter 7 where in verse 8 Jesus says he is not going up to the Feast in Jerusalem and then 2 verses later he goes up to the feast. This make Jesus out to be a LIAR! The Majority Text has Jesus saying he is not YET going up to the Feast and so when he does later eventually go up to the Feast he never lied.

The "modern" versions imply no such thing. When his brothers wanted him to go the HS did not want Jesus to go, and Jesus obeyed. Later, the HS released Jesus to go and he obeyed. Jesus saying he was not going to go does not mean he was never going. It can be read that way but certainly doesn't have to be.

2015/11/15 7:54Profile

Re:

I think the BYRV is very, very good.
You know, the bible you read version.

2015/11/15 9:54
TrueWitness

Re:

While John 7:8 does not mean that Jesus will never go to any Feast of Tabernacles (according to modern Bible versions), anyone hearing what He said would understand Him to mean that He is not going to THAT YEAR'S Festival.

He tells his disciples, "You go up to this feast." Immediately after saying this he either says,

"I am not going up to THIS FEAST" (according to modern versions using the Critical Text)

OR

"I am not YET going up to this feast" (according to the Majority Text)

We know in verse 10 that He did in fact go to that feast. It is inconceivable to me to think that Jesus did not know that He was going to that year's Feast of Tabernacles in Jerusalem. Therefore I am quite confident that he did qualify his statement that He wasn't going in verse 8 by including a qualifier like not yet, or not now. Otherwise He would be lying.

P.S. I am not of King James Only bent. I think King James is a good translation but has some weaknesses. As you can tell, I prefer NT translations based on the Majority Text. I do not think modern versions are evil or their translators. The Majority Text and Critical Text differ by about 8%. I've read the differences and prefer the Majority Text. I think someone can use a modern version effectively in evangelism and discipleship and preaching. I just prefer the Majority Text and I don't want to sound overly confrontational about it. I like what my Pastor says about translations: "The best translation is the one you like and use." And when he says translation he doesn't mean a paraphrase.

-Daniel

2015/11/15 10:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy