SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Apostolic Credentials......

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Apostolic Credentials......

Jimm I think it was said we needed to broaden our scope. So let's do it. This ought to open a few doors. What are the qualifications of a true apostle? How many people in the New Testament were called apostles?

Eph. 4:11 says that God gave apostles, evangelist, prophets, pastors and teachers to the church for the training of the saints for the work of the ministry. If the church is trained for the work of the ministry, then none of these are needed any longer. If they are not trained, then we still need them all. So let's focus on Apostles. Enjoy.

2005/5/3 8:29

Re: Apostolic Credentials......

Well, since no body wants to step up to the plate, or though it seems, I will. Let's begin in Romans, a good place to start.

Rom 1:1 Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God,

Here, we find several clues. First, the apostle is a bond servant of Christ Jesus. Secondly the apostle is set apart(Lahry's note: by God)

Rom 1:5 through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for His name's sake,

Apostleship is received from Jesus Christ our Lord. One of the purposes is to bring about obedience of faith among the Gentiles, for His name's sake, not that of the apostle.

Rom 1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all,

The apostle gives thanks unto God.

Rom 1:11 For I am yearning to see you, that I may impart and share with you some spiritual gift to strengthen and establish you;

Apostles impart spiritual gifts and establish the saints in truth, faith, and love.

An apostle preaches the Gospel.

Rom 15:1 Now we who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those without strength and not just please ourselves

They bear the weaknesses of others, and don't seek to please themselves.

This should do for starters. Anyone else want to add to it? Please do, or comment as you like.

2005/5/4 18:21
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Quote:

Lahry wrote:
What are the qualifications of a true apostle?

Apostolos is in greek means "sent ones". Number one qualification of an Apostle is that they are sent.

2005/5/4 19:47Profile
dohzman

The thread on prophets and now this. Well Here goes, I fear I'm treading where angels fear to tread! As mentioned Apostle-Messenger-one who has been sent, an ambassadore(a representive of a sovereign). Proof texts Acts 23:11/Acts 26:14-18. Note the Commission came directly from Jesus Note Lukes comments on the apostles Lk1:1-2 Eyewitnesses of Jesus Christ. Apostles were taught by Jesus--- Gal 1:12,16. So at least 2 qualifications of an apostle is 1)direct revelation of Jesus 2) set apart and commissioned by Jesus 3) taught by Jesus.

2005/5/4 21:49Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

dohzman wrote:
So at least 2 qualifications of an apostle is 1)direct revelation of Jesus 2) set apart and commissioned by Jesus 3) taught by Jesus.

Mmmmm, these are pretty hard these to test. Especially after Lahry's comment:
Quote:

Lahry wrote:
If the church is trained for the work of the ministry, then none of these are needed any longer. If they are not trained, then we still need them all.

2005/5/4 21:57Profile
dohzman

Re:

I believe there are still apostles but have never meet one personally.

2005/5/4 22:01Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Some definitions

From Ye Old Websters

[b]Apostle
APOS'TLE, n.[/b] [L. apostalus; Gr. to send away, to sent.]

A person deputed to execute some important business; but appropriately, a disciple of Christ commissioned to preach the gospel. Twelve persons were selected by Christ for this purpose; and Judas, one of the number, proving an apostate, his place was supplied by Matthias. Acts 1.

The title of apostle is applied to Christ himself, Heb 3. In the primitive ages of the church, other ministers were called apostles, Rom 16; as were persons sent to carry alms from one church to another, Phil 2. This title was also given to persons who first planted the Christian faith. Thus Dionysius of Corinth is called the apostle of France; and the Jesuit Missionaries are called apostles.

Among the Jews, the title was given to officers who were sent into distant provinces, as visitors or commissioners, to see the laws observed.

Apostle, in the Greek liturgy, is a book contained the epistles of St. Paul, printed in the order in which they are to be read in churches, through the year.

2005/5/4 23:42Profile

Re:

At least two more of the NT ministerial group were called "apostles" (strongs 652)

Barnabas, Acts 14:14
Epapharditus, Phil 2:25

One thing is obvious, that signs and wonders usually followed the ministry of the apostles. Signs and wonders were not necessarily limited to apostles.

How it makes me tremble to know that in this hour there will be among us those who the appearance of signs and wonders will follow, and multitudes will follow these. They will of courses be controlled by satan.

Oh the gift of discernment, oh Lord. We all need discerment. Give us that inner witness that hears Your voice in ordinary men. Glory be to God.

Jesus said that His sheep know His voice. Don't listen to any other voice. If it's not Him, what value is it to you or I? That is why we should guard our vessels, our eyes, our ears, and our tongues. The blood of Jesus cleanses the cup. But He does not put a lid on it to keep out the dirt. We must do that ourselves. One could spend considerable time here in prayer, seeking the Holy Spirit to evaluate what has been heard, and desiring the freedom to listen only to those who speak the voice of the Shepard. I'm certain, there are not many in this hour.

Oh how I would like to take off here on "words", their weight, their impact on the spirit of man. But I'll hold my peace as this thread is not on that subject. Shalom.

2005/5/5 10:14
Rahman

[b]Brother Daryl[/b] wrote;
"I believe there are still apostles but have never met one personally" ...

Ha! ... Ha! ... You think daring to identify oneself as a prophet in this day and age draws "fire and ire" ... Identify yourself as an "apostle" and see what happens to you ... Ugggghhhh ... :-?

Since i'm not called to be an apostle (thank God) i haven't the slightest idea what one is other than Paul (to me) would epitomize the "calling", and from doing some research it seems that no one else really knows either ... But it does seem that as one moves back in the 5 fold ministries/services spoken of in Eph. individuals in the "callings" get fewer and fewer ...

You know [b]Brother Lahry[/b] this is a very interesting thread ... An apostle must surely be one that flies in a highly rarified spiritual atmosphere as one might analogize a prophet as eagle, but an apostle as condor, as in the Holy Spirit flying him wayyyyyy up there ... i'll be looking forward to what's posted on this thread too! ...

PS - Check out this website, perhaps it might help ...
The Signs of the Apostolic Calling
http://www.apostolic-movement.com/articles/signs_of_apostolic_calling.htm

2005/5/5 14:54Profile

Re:

Thanks, dear brother. God bless you real good. I did check out the web page, but I....well....it did not minister to me. But I so appreciate the love that was behind posting the link. Thanks alot.

2005/5/5 20:46

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy